First Hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jarhead
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

First Hat

Post by jarhead »

Help ! This fedora stuff is making me crazy ! I want a fur felt hat, prefererably a Raiders, that is comfortable, and doesn't require me to mortgage my house to pay for. I tried ordering a DP, but am sending it back after getting it yesterday. Not true to size (too small), hard as a rock, and just not good looking. I know you get what you pay for, but there has to be something between a cheapie and selling my car !
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: First Hat

Post by Texan Scott »

Garrison would be one option. Custom Raiders for $200. Its a fine line, but paying for the benefit of trained eyes, who will personally work on your hat, and custom fit you makes all the difference.

There are other choices for factory hats, but when you consider all the pros and cons, you might pay a little more, but in the end, you will not be disappointed for a first hat.
jarhead
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jarhead »

Are they in New Zealand ?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Dave Garrison is located in Georgia.

Regards! Michaelson
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

The two Garrsion Raiders offerings:

http://garrisonhatters.com/garrison_hat ... 13_003.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://garrisonhatters.com/garrison_hat ... 13_004.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

There is always the Akubra Fed IV. I believe it's around $160 shipped.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Yeah, its difficult to have foreknowledge of where you are, but Akubra through Hats Direct services that part of the world. Not too shabby for factory.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

If you are looking for an affordable Indy hat go to northwesthats.com. Mike will set you up. He can make you a rabbit or beaver for a very reasonable price that will be hand made for you. He is a really nice guy and will make sure you get what you are looking for. I would give him a call or drop him an email. I have two hats from Mike. My raiders which is spot on and he made me a hat from the movie "True Grit" that is awesome!. He is truly a master hatter. You will not be disappointed. I wouldn't have anyone else make a hat for me. :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Northwest would be a good choice for a custom. As would Garrison. Both are in the US. Both will have a wait between ordering and delivery.

If you want immediate delivery and local to you, the Akubra Federation IV comes in two grades - regular and legacy, is tough as nails for most uses (although you can't roll it up) and it ships open crown so you can make it whatever you want it to be. That and Penman Hats video on how to crease a Raiders fedora should get you what you want.

Akubras are a little stiff at first but they soften with use. For what they cost they're a steal. :TOH:
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

I second the vote for Akubra Fed 4. as a fellow kiwi I understand how much of a drag seeing a great price on an indy product and then having to double the price to include shipping. I ordered my fed and received it in 5 days. amazing hat as you'll see from other posts in the forum. Really. Handles our NZ weather well. I'm a hiking guide and wear my fed everyday. it holds up to some punishment and in fact looks better the more I mistreat it.

Good luck with the search.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

The good thing about the Akubra is, if you're fairly new to hats, or to the style of hat - they are tough enough to endure thorough use, and give the wearer a solid chance to figure out if a higher price-point hat is worth it for him/her. So, a starter hat that's also good and practical.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:The good thing about the Akubra is, if you're fairly new to hats, or to the style of hat - they are tough enough to endure thorough use, and give the wearer a solid chance to figure out if a higher price-point hat is worth it for him/her. So, a starter hat that's also good and practical.
Well stated 'Chewy!' This was a great get-going fedora (re-Indy-styles, as I always have had and worn hats/fedoras, etc.) for me. Sure out-did-lasted the Miller's, etc. However I would offer up that David's (Garrison) hat's are very nice and lot's of love go into them! I have not had the opportunity to see Northwest's first hand, but I would say what I have seen here and read -- they look quite good too! So, the end point to this rambling is there are some good options and reasonable cost, depending on what 'reasonable' is to each person ;) . W>
jarhead
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jarhead »

Thank you for your responses. I am located in the US. I mentioned NZ because I looked up a site, must have made a typo, and thought Garrison hats had a New Zealand connection. Sorry for the confusion. I Thanks again. I now have some nice options that are more in line with my budget.
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

Oh my mistake. I just get so excited when I think there might be other Indy fans in NZ. We are not all into lord of the rings.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

#-o Jarhead, I figured you'd be lookin' for a camo Indy fedora? ...call me crazy, but 'jarhead' seemed to coincide with Marines, as in US Marines, ie US based. But my first post is a great option for a first hat. Anytime you get the trained eyes and hands of a craftsman on your hat, personally, and the price is within reach, its a solid choice.
jarhead
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jarhead »

Yeah, I gave 'em 21 years, would have stayed longer if I had liked it.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

jarhead wrote:Yeah, I gave 'em 21 years, would have stayed longer if I had liked it.
Well, thank you for your service, Sir! :TOH:
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

jarhead thank you for your service !!! Here's the thing when you get into the hobby, it's never enough or to much !! Everybody here is directing you to the right way, yes you could get a factory made hat (Akubra Federation IV is not a bad way to go) but remember when these hats..ahem.. fedoras were made back in the day (20's-40's) they were made custom by a local hat shop for each individual. If you're ready to go now and an Akubra Federation IV goes for $160 plus shipping and you can get a Garrison (hand made) for $200 plus shipping .... what do you think ?? David Garrison is based out of Georgia, USA and he has great customer service and is a great hat/fedora maker. Choose wisely .... lol !!! All the best. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Buy yourself a nice fedora, Marine, you deserve one! ;)

....you can handle the truth!
jarhead
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jarhead »

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words, and a heartfelt your welcome. I've been in contact with both Northwest and Garrison, and looked at the product lines. Both seem like quality hatters, and helped me. Now I have to make up my mind. The only bad thing is I was set on a Raider until I saw their TOD"s. Now it's muddled ! If I can convince my wife I NEED both.....
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Check your 'pm's' Jarhead! Thanks. W>
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

jarhead wrote:Yeah, I gave 'em 21 years, would have stayed longer if I had liked it.
Where's the salute emoticon!?
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

great now I'm wondering how silly I am for saving up for a Penman...I'm sticking to my guns on this and say to myself not much
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

j_m_t wrote:great now I'm wondering how silly I am for saving up for a Penman...I'm sticking to my guns on this and say to myself not much
I'll help you out by saying "not even a little."

The only problem with buying one of John's amazing hats is they are so perfect you won't want (or be able) to stop at one. :TOH:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Indeed. One never need be ashamed of the effort and acquisition of a Penman!
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

All the options that have been listed are good ones. I personally went with John Penman, and it is definitely worth the investment. While my Raiders is on its way to being refurbished by him (After two years of hard abuse) I have been wearing a Fed IV Dlx. that I got for my dad last year (He hardly wears it, lol). It has softened up over the last week or so, not nearly as stiff as it used to be; however, the Fed IV. does make for a tough hat. I only wish the bow looked as good. (We sewed on a better looking bow after dying the ribbon a darker brown). While I have never had one of David Garrison's hats, they do always make me drool in admiration, and the same goes with Northwest hats.

No matter who you go with, it'll be worth it!

Thank you for your service, and God bless you.

Robert.
Last edited by shade88 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Correction buddy. It's David Garrison.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

BendingOak wrote:Correction buddy. It's David Garrison.
Good point, I had a typo there. Changing.

/EDIT/ Fixed. :TOH:
jarhead
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jarhead »

Ordered a Garrison Raiders. Hopefully it will be here for cooler weather.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

First Hat

Post by ChrisMD »

jarhead wrote:Ordered a Garrison Raiders. Hopefully it will be here for cooler weather.

Excellent choice. I love mine. It has taken everything I have thrown at it and then some. Be sure to post the customary pictures when it arrives!

And thanks and Semper Fi. My grandfather was a Marine 42-45, 3rd Div. Tough old guy. I loved spending so much time with " the old breed". Guam, Bouganville, Iwo Jima. HE is the one who loved Indiana Jones and introduced myself and brother to the movies.
jarhead
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jarhead »

In typical "charge the hill" mode, I convinced the wife I also needed a TOD fedora. Ordered one from Northwest Hatters. It will be interesting to do a comparison study. I can hardly wait to get one of them.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

jarhead wrote:In typical "charge the hill" mode, I convinced the wife I also needed a TOD fedora. Ordered one from Northwest Hatters. It will be interesting to do a comparison study. I can hardly wait to get one of them.
lucky you !

did you order a rabbit or a beaver at Worthwest hats ?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

jarhead wrote:In typical "charge the hill" mode, I convinced the wife I also needed a TOD fedora. Ordered one from Northwest Hatters. It will be interesting to do a comparison study. I can hardly wait to get one of them.

Naturally you needed one. :tup: They are totally different hats. You know, just like your wife (likely) has a closet of totally different black shoes. :)

I don't have a TOD, but I did get a hat from Mike and it's awesome. You're going to be very happy with the craftsmanship.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Indiana Jeff wrote:

Naturally you needed one. :tup: They are totally different hats. You know, just like your wife (likely) has a closet of totally different black shoes. :)

I don't have a TOD, but I did get a hat from Mike and it's awesome. You're going to be very happy with the craftsmanship.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

As much as I agree with your sensible man logic, when I tried to use that one I got the "good try" and a laugh.

:(

Oh well, I tried!
jarhead
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jarhead »

Got a beaver hat from Mike, a rabbit from Garrison. She's a pretty good sport about most of my quirks, and usually only draws the line at my most outrageous ideas, of course which I think are pretty darn good !
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:

Naturally you needed one. :tup: They are totally different hats.
The thing about custom hats is even two of the same hats from the same maker are "totally different" from each other. :TOH: