Wested Indy microfiber jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Would you buy a Wested Indy microfiber jacket?

Yes
42%
No
27%
Maybe
23%
Take a rain check
8%
When I get a round 2 it....O
No votes
For a plug nickel
No votes

Total votes: 26

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Wested Indy microfiber jacket?

Post by Texan Scott »

Would you buy a Wested microfiber jacket?
Last edited by Texan Scott on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Wested Indy microfiber jacket?

Post by Duck9000 »

Absolutely. Count me in :tup:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Sure!!
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

I would if it comes in a small enough size.
Aerojones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Aerojones »

Most definitely, as a microfiber jacket would be infinitely easier to wear on a daily basis. I've got several leather jackets, and trust me, a cloth jacket is easier to live with on a daily basis.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

A couple of reasons for this question. I was told they were basically exasperating themselves looking for the right material to satisfy members and I thought any efforts to simplify this process would benefit everyone involved?
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

No
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Perhaps (95% positive)! W>
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Yes, I would
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Only if it came in other colors as well as brown. I'd be in for khaki and olive drab. I'm buried in brown jackets!! But if Peter would offer all 3 colors, I'd buy one of each.

That may not make much sense to an Indy fan, but I have enough jackets that look virtually identical to everyone else!!
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Only if they offer moisture-wicking Indy pants to go with it. :roll: :P
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Illinois James wrote:Only if it came in other colors as well as brown. I'd be in for khaki and olive drab. I'm buried in brown jackets!! But if Peter would offer all 3 colors, I'd buy one of each.

That may not make much sense to an Indy fan, but I have enough jackets that look virtually identical to everyone else!!
Now, I like this idea :TOH: ! I would love to see a really good, somewhat distressed out olive drab! Or, an English khaki colour! Good idea here! Good idea ;) ! W>
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Just as long as they don't want to get away with microfiber replacing leather. Like the world did from metal to plastic.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Not gonna happen at Wested Leather, dates!!

I'm gonna go ahead and vote 'yes', even though I'm not expecting my wishes of different colors to come true. I understand we're still talking about an 'Indy' jacket, and that jacket is definitely brown. Advertise it as an 'Indy' jacket, and I think it'll sell brown ones. Advertise it as 'microfiber Indy outerwear', and some might be sold to a few 'not-so-super' Indy fans who might want a cool light jacket. It might take a long time to recoup the investment in the non-brown colors. The only other option would be for them to be made as one-off customs. If that were the case, for the lighter colors, a snap-off corduroy collar that could be easily removed for cleaning would be something I'd like to see offered. It's the first thing to get dirty!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's exactly what killed the cotton jacket at USW. They only made it in khaki, and it didn't sell.

Regards! M
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

This would be windbreaker and light elements Indy, easy to pack and travel.
Misfit13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Misfit13 »

It would be a cool alternative to the Dickies jackets I would think. Depends on the color, I would buy one!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

It would come down to color, sizing, and price. If I could actually fit into one, it would need to be available in brown (not khaki). I would consider other colors like grey or black. And price is a big one. I don't mind paying a little more for something unusual, but if it's too overpriced...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Here is what I received this morning: "There's some swatches coming hopefully this week of a happy medium. We'll see what that looks like first, the current material is just not substantial enough, it has to be lightweight yes but it's just not right. If you could see it you and feel it you would probably agree with us."

This time, let's see the project through, and not succumb to stalemate. Think positive, we'll have some cloth jackets soon. ;)
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Just spitballing, but the Superdry jackets sure look like they come in some interesting fabrics as well as colors. I'd like to see what some of their thinner fabrics are like.

Did I mention I'd like khaki and olive drab as well as brown? Can't remember. :lol:

Black would be cool, too.

Anyway, thanks, Peter for trying to get this perfect!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

My take on it is that they are busy sourcing fabric, and trying to work on it in between their movie and TV projects. Hopefully something will develop soon.

They are also looking at other material besides microfiber, in trying to deliver.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Wested posted on their facebook page that they got in more samples today, and that they were going through them tomorrow to see if anything works.

Regards! M
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Thanks for the update. ;)
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I keep forgetting about that Facebook page!

Nice that they're considering this, because it's almost all just for the fans. Wested certainly has bigger fish to fry.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

What about this?

http://www.wested.com/raiders-of-the-lo ... 1976-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That is the one they posted today on their FB page as their new offering and available as custom order only.

Thing is, it's EXACTLY the same material they offered with the VERY first jacket back in 2003. I know, as I HAVE that prototype, and it's lined with left over materials from their costumes from the first Pirates of the Caribbean film.

I have both the original with the corduroy collar, as well as the original with the first cloth collar.

So, great jacket, but exactly where we started 11 years ago.

Personally, swing and a hit to center field wall, but not over the fence. I told them that too on FB.

Interesting response, though, as I was told, quote: "if you like it you like it, if not we tried our best", or to paraphrase, 'take it or leave it, we did the best we could'.

Not sure how, as all they did was repeat the original idea. :-k

It was then followed by a 'it's known globally you can't please everyone'. :roll:

Of course, I couldn't leave that snide remark just lay, and said, 'True, and we're also getting used to disappointment. Thanks again'. :-s

Forgive me, like I said, I couldn't just leave it lay like that..... :oops: ](*,)

I'm personally disappointed. Once again they missed the whole concept/reason for the jacket's creation and planned use. :|

All that said, though, I still recommend it, as mine has been used every year since I got it....to the point it's faded to a light milk chocolate color....but it's still not what 'we' were looking for in a road ready travel jacket. It' still an excellent choice for a light weight 'non-leather' Indy jacket that won't eat you alive cost wise, and still uses the same patterns.

It certainly fills a niche, but NOT the original reason it was requested for consideration from the very 'get-go'.

JMO, though, but one I think worthy to offer as this was my idea that I talked Peter into trying 12 years ago and originally started discussion back at Indyfan.com, so I think I'm allowed to state my opinion on this one.

Close, but still no cigar.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I have a nice water repellent windbreaker that I bought on clearance several years back for about $6 in dark forest green. I don't know.... :-k ....it just seems like a no brainer to me..? Anyone else in that state of mind? Choose a windbreaker/repellent, thin type material and let's roll...? Doesn't seem like it would be that expensive or difficult to find?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Heck, I don't know, Tex. I have a 40 year old London Fog linen jacket that I've worn that still holds up, and would be, in my opinion, a perfect choice of material. It's water resistant after an application of Scotchgard, and when dirty, just toss in the washing machine, dry, and it's good to go again. Lined too. Made every bit as nice as any OTHER jacket I own, including the custom versions.

I just don't get it either, but what ever. I'm done with this now. :roll:

I've fought this fight with two vendors, THIS one 3 times now, and we're right back to where we started before Indygear was even a glimmer if an idea in Indiana John's, Abner's or my mind. Like I said, this all started in a posted discussion back at Indyfan, and was carried over to this site when we started it in 2002.

I just don't understand why this is so difficult a concept to grasp, but 'take it or leave it' again......so I'm leaving it. I already have one, and my wife the other. I don't need another one in my closet like what I already own, and have owned for 11 years.

I STILL recommend it, though, as they do fill PART of the need, but......aw, forget it. I've already stated my opinion. :lol:

So, carry on. :TOH:

Regards! M
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

Does anyone have any photos of the Wested cotton twill jacket? I was wondering what it looks like in the real world, as opposed to a vendor website. Also, how soft is the material? I currently have a lambskin Raiders Wested. How does this compare to the lambskin leather? I was looking for a lightweight jacket to wear during the early spring and late fall...and was wondering if this would suit my need.

Any help would be appreciated.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Great discussion on this item. I have wanted a cotton Indy jacket for some time now and since I was not around the first time, I decided to pull the trigger on this one. Just placed my order!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Ok, here is the scoop...Rebecca said they did not make the cloth jacket in microfiber, because members did not want a shiny jacket. The material is shiny because of the waterproof layer.

If you guys want a microfiber jacket, you would need to accept the 'shiny' aspect of the outer shell...?

Here is part of the reply:

"we were backed into a corner to release the cotton raiders NOW, we made 3 prototypes and the cotton was the only one our testers in the UK actually said was practical and they liked. We always listen to the fans and try and get as much produced to the lines of what you/they want but on this occasion, right this very second, the fabric really does not exist, we're on notifications to find a heavy-weight micro-fibre without shine but the fabric guy pretty much laughed at us down the phone."
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I popped in today and had a nosey. The cotton one is a very nice jacket. It's like a good quality harrington jacket with a little snap to the fabric. If I needed a non leather and slightly less warm alternative to lamb I'd go for one of these.

Personally I'd not go for microfibre, but I am not a fan of man made fabrics.

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I think people are wanting something that would be water repellant, although I assume you spray a jacket like this with scotchgurard and you are good to go...for awhile?

I wish we could see some of the samples they were sent, it might help to make a better decision. A material that they rejected, others might really like?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And I think that ship has sailed. Per Michaelson's posting of Wested's fb account
"if you like it you like it, if not we tried our best"
this is the non-leather Indy jacket they will be offering.

I may give this one a go, the problem is with the sizing. Based on their size chart, a 40 would fit best in the chest, but I think the arms would be too short. A 42's arms are right, but I fear it would be too baggy in the chest/body. :?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
borntorun97
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by borntorun97 »

I ordered mine in sz42 on Thursday. The sizes are the exact same as the off the rack Raiders jackets. My custom Raiders had 26" sleeves but shrunk over time to ~25" so I "hope" the 25" sleeves of the OTR 42 will be OK

Either way...can't wait!!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I wonder who the testers were that said they did not like the microfiber material? Anyway, as with all things about ordering clothing sight unseen, I too am nervous about my jacket coming. No word just yet on shipment. BTW, how much will I have to pay for the taxes import fees once it arrives? Any guesses?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

DHL usually charges about $21-$25 for a leather jacket, but this cloth jacket costs around $125.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

so since it costs half as much the fee should be half as much to?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Charybdis wrote:so since it costs half as much the fee should be half as much to?
Not sure on that one. Used to, when you ordered a Wested, it was shipped in one of those brown plastic bags, and in a box, complete with the cert, by USPS. Signature delivery and they even delivered on Sunday. No extra charge. I miss those days. That was the way to go, if you ask me.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Woo hoo! Just got my cloth Raiders jacket from Wested! First impression? I love it! Great lightweight cotton twill, satin lining, and the fit is great, roomy enough for layering which is mandatory, of course. Sleeves are just a tad long but reminds me exactly of the leather version, so no real problem there either. :)

I am a happy camper! I will try to get some pics going soon but I have a big weekend planned, today is my daughter's birthday, she turns one! And tomorrow I am travelling to broadcast our college's football season opener down in Charleston.

See you all on the other side of the weekend! :lol: