New Alden 405 quality?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

NewEnglander76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

New Alden 405 quality?

Post by NewEnglander76 »

Hello all,
I purchased a pair of Alden 405 in 2008 and am looking into buying another pair, but I noticed that the inside of them is now leather-lined and not the duck cloth cotton material that older pairs featured. I have also read that the leather is not as durable as the older models of the 405 were. Does anyone have any input on this?
If so, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: New Alden 405 quality?

Post by RedburnIV »

I have a pair of 405's, purchased back in 2003, and I just got a new pair before the summer, and I have to say I was a little disappointed in the quality of the new boots. At first glance the leather had a very plastic-y, cheap feel. I wasn't worried about the duck cloth cotton until I noticed the new boots are a little on the loose side but the same exact size as my old pair. I can't comment on the leather quality as I have not worn this new pair often to really break them in. Overall I'm looking forward in breaking this new pair in but I do prefer my older pair. I should have bought 2 pairs back then.
NewEnglander76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NewEnglander76 »

RedburnIV wrote: I should have bought 2 pairs back then.
I hear ya. I wish I had bought a second pair back in 2008....especially since it would have cost me less than $300, as opposed to the $500 that the new ones cost.
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Exactly. Mine were about $500 from Sherman bros in Phili. Pretty sure they're the only Alden dealer in my area. I think back then in 2003, my first pair only cost around $325, which is the most I've ever paid for shoes.
NewEnglander76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NewEnglander76 »

don't mind paying a bit extra for quality, but these things are getting a little beyond pricey. :anxious:
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

You said it NewEnglander! My first pair held up over 11 years. I'm not quite sure this new pair will. It's my opinion that for $500, this should be the last pair of shoes I buy :)
NewEnglander76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NewEnglander76 »

I agree! I may try to find a gently used pair on EBay or see if ShoeMart or Alden has any old stock.
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

That sounds like a plan! Unfortunately I can't do the same. I have a hard time finding 14 1/2's :)
NewEnglander76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NewEnglander76 »

Yikes! I only have an 8.5 EE to worry about.
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Yeah but with the leather lining, I wonder if I should have went with a smaller size.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

RedburnIV wrote:It's my opinion that for $500, this should be the last pair of shoes I buy :)
That's why they're called the Trubalance Last! :lol:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I don't know about the standard 405 leather now, as mine are from around 2008, but the new chromexel leathers are outstanding, probably the best leather I've seen on any shoe short of shell horsehide.

A lot of guys used to say to 'size down' one shoe size, or half size, depending on how you look at it, for the Alden Trubalance last. I never did, as they seemed to fit true to size, back when they used the fabric lining. But, now, I have to say that the leather-lined boots do seem to be roomier. I still buy my size, but I use a 3/4 Superfeet insert, so I can use the space.
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

I got pretty lucky. I wear a 13 in clarks wallabees, 14 1/2C in aldens and 15 in running shoes. For some reason, I don't think Alden provides the chomexel in 14's. Which is odd. I would love to get a pair of those, or the older dark brown adventurebilts. Those are beautiful.
Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Basil »

I bought my alden 405 about a year ago now and I am very pleased with them.

I've worn them around the world and they still look pretty much new. They've been through snow in toronto, rain in Venice, the heat and sand of Athens and not to mention the cobbles of Paris and London.

These boots are still made to last you won't be sorry. I also really like the leather lining, they give a soft and comfortable feeling that just forms to your foot. The cromexal leather is durable, it shows scratches east but if you brush them out they disappear instantly.

My favourite boots by far!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Nice to hear good things about the chromexcel leather, because my new pair is due next month! I guess my 12.5 D size is uncommon, because the Alden sales rep said they would be made during the next production run. My first Aldens (circa 1998) arrived only a week after I placed my order, but I suppose the Indy boot is more popular now than ever before. It's certainly more expensive! But the quality is worth it, although I wish they still had the fabric lining. At least they offer a more screen-accurate color now!

Last edited by whipwarrior on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

The 405s are durable, heavy-duty workboot leather. Sold my 2013 405s in favor of 403s only due to color.
NewEnglander76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NewEnglander76 »

thanks a lot for all the input, guys! I have shoes in chromexcel leather and though it is a nice leather, I would prefer the regular veg-tanned leather on the 405 work boot. I like the vegetable tanned leather because it can be polished to a shine or "antiqued" or treated with Pecards. Yes, it scuffs easier, but in my experience/opinion it doesn't stretch as much and holds its shape/form better once broken in. My other chromexcel leather shoes tend to get a bit floppy and loose over time.
The issues that some of you folks have had with the sizing in the new 405 with the leather interior as opposed to the cloth interior are a bit of a concern for me though when it comes to the size to get. when I ordered mine in 2008 I went a half size smaller than my normal foot because of the truebalance last (8.5EE) and they fit snug and still fit great today. Hmmmm....decisions, decisions. :?
NewEnglander76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NewEnglander76 »

WhipWarrior, I gotta say that is one sweet looking pair of boots you have on order. I may have to think on those. The Chromexcel is an extra $50 or so though, isn't it?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Alden's current price for the natural chromexcel is $553 while the standard Indy 405s sell for $512. Expensive either way, so what's another $41 for such a great-looking boot?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I know the answer! $41! \:D/

:CR:
NewEnglander76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NewEnglander76 »

Good point, sir! :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

;)
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Funny, I've been wearing everything EXCEPT my standard (2008) 405's regularly as of late. They basically look new. I have many (way too many) variations of the Indy boot, and have sort of a rotation. I put on my 405's tonight, which is rare, and got a compliment from a young guy at the sandwich shop. He commented on the 'saddle' color. I get comments on the natural chromexel shoes I wear, but never the 405's!

Haven't had the boot bug for awhile, but makes me anticipate a pre-order I'm expecting from Alden of Carmel even more!!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

YES!!! My boots are in-stock at Alden SF today, and I placed my order! They will be here by the end of next week, and I can finally take new gear pics of my ultimate LC outfit! :D :whip:

Something like this, minus the tie:

NewEnglander76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NewEnglander76 »

Sweet! Can't wait to see em. :D
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Me too! :lol:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

These boots are awesome! I've been wearing them around the house for about an hour since I opened the box, and here are some observations compared to my original Alden boots that I've worn for the last 16 years:

* Chromexcel leather feels softer than the original 405 waxhide

* Despite being the exact same size, the new boots are fractionally longer in the toe box area

* The true color of natural chromexcel is more of a beige / sand / coffee hue than the medium brown depicted on Alden's website; I definitely must darken these up with boot polish & Pecards)

* Inside construction is different from the vintage 405: quilted cotton lining is now entirely replaced with ultra-soft glove leather (consequentially, the boot feels a bit looser than cloth-padded vintage 405); Achilles seam covering is gone, making the lining joint visible

* Bottom sole stitching is black cord rather than traditional white fabric thread

* Upper mocc stitching is really white compared to naturally-aged & weathered stitching on vintage boots (might see if brick red Meltonian polish can mute this effect)

New out of the box! :D

Wearing one of each for color comparison w/ LC Blu-ray scene

Natural chromexcel with tan cavalry twill LC pants

Alden of SF store branding on heel area
Last edited by whipwarrior on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Those are beautiful boots. The natural chromexel is a great color, and a durably tanned finish. And, while they do scuff easily, they don't seem to SHOW the scuffs like the dark brown chromexel.