USW Escape map lining

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

USW Escape map lining

Post by Michaelson »

This will be of more interest to our A2 wearers, but it might be something that some of our group might also find interesting if they want something 'different' inside their jackets.

Email received today:
WWII Escape Map Lining

We're now offering an authentic reproduction of a genuine WWII escape map as a replacement liner for all leather flight jackets! These maps, known as escape & evasion maps, were printed on cloth or silk and were issued to Allied airmen to help them evade capture when downed behind enemy lines. Unlike paper maps, cloth maps were noiseless, waterproof, and easily concealed inside a serviceman's uniform if captured by the enemy. This particular map is a reproduction of a WWII British Bartholomew Northern France/England escape map and it can now adorn your favorite A-2, G-1, Indy or any other type of leather "bomber" jacket for that authentic WWII touch. Your jacket's existing lining will be replaced with our WWII Escape Map Lining by our expert jacket repair technicians so you can rest assured that your favorite jacket will be in good hands. A US Wings exclusive!

Lining with jacket:

http://members.cruzio.com/~gakiyama/pic ... DETAIL.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lining only:

http://members.cruzio.com/~gakiyama/pic ... DETAIL.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Red highlighting is mine.

I believe the price for relining was $95, but that will have to be confirmed by USW.

Anyway, an FYI, in case you're interested. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USW Escape map lining

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's a nice touch. I would opt for that in an Indy jacket if I needed it relined.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed there, Jeff. It's supposed to be based on a real map, so it's definitely a nice one.

Regards! M
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

As I said to Sarge this morning, this is right up my street even though I know its probably not something the real fans would choose..

Great idea!

Regards

MARK
Misfit13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Misfit13 »

I think its an awesome idea. "Why is your lining like that?" "To evade Nazis. I hate those guys." Leave people wondering if you live in a time warp.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Is it a different material from their usual lining? Or the same slippery stuff?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I have no clue. I just posted the info I received. Drop USW a line and ask. :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

If I decide to order one of their jackets, then I certainly will. I'm on the fence because of leather choice, unsureness about their fit, and the lining. If I narrow it down in the other 2 areas, then I'll need to find out what it's made of for sure...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...can we get a cloth Indy jacket made out of this stuff..? :P
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

LOL! Actually, USW DID offer one in cloth....but khaki color with dark brown leather color. :lol:

NICE jacket, but the color didn't fly and they didn't want to special order a dark brown cloth, so the line was dropped. :|

Ah well.

Good luck in your quest, Tyrloch. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, order one, and see if it actually fits. I'd suggest getting into a discussion with David and see what you can work out. Then you can determine if the USW jacket is the way to go. It works perfectly for some folks frames, and others not so much, but you have the choice of the slimmer fit Legend pattern or the more generous fit Signature Series.

Regards! M
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Thanks M! I know that a G&B fits me well, but since I've had one I may now need to go up a size. Also, I was holding out trying to find a used one since $558 for the goatskin is a bit pricey. Worth it I know, but it can be had cheaper...so I've been looking a the US Wings jackets, and Wested's Hero too. I like the overall idea of the Hero, but I'm afraid the slimmer fit may wind up being too tight in the sleeve diameter. I have a sizing issue - 5'5", 165lbs, 41" chest, and a 31-32" waist. So if the cut is off by a little, a 40 could be too snug and a 42 to long in the body or wide in the waist. I'm hesitant to send a laundry list of specs to Wested because it increase the price of the jacket, and they may or may not get everything right. Hence my jacket dilemma...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sounds like a medium Legend might be the way to go, but that's just a guess as an unpaid armchair quarterback. ;)

As a possibility, you could consider this one, if you like cowhide:

http://www.uswings.com/product/texas-st ... -imported/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Add to that the offer made by David early in the week:
Quote:
I came up with an idea that will work worldwide.. this will be a discount on fixed pricing for Alpha.. Avirex of Europe and Cockpit USA and Schott NYC on the http://www.uswings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site.. No matter what the discount I.E. Sale price Indy Gear I.E. COW will receive an extra 10 % discount when you ck out with this Code number: GWA10.
I don't know if it applies here, but if it does, you COULD save a few bucks, and see if it fits. Just don't take off any tags or you're stuck with it.

Drop David Hack a line at collector@uswings.com and tell him you're a member here. He LOVES talking shop and can clarify that discount statement for you!

Regards! Michaelson
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Just heard back from Sgt. Hack, and he asked me to post it here. I'm posting his email in its entirety, so just ignore the unimportant personal info...

Hello Jason,
You came to the right place.. I may not have all the answers but I sure will
do everything I can to help you! First of all I like the Legend Indy a lot..
Neil Cooper and I were Partners and also to this day very close friends..
BTW Please post that Neil had a stroke this past Winter and is just now
getting back on his feet but still having a hard time speaking! The Legend
is as close as you can get to the real thing and I happen to like the Texas
Steer hide and or Lamb For the money you can't beat it!
I have not told anyone this as of now But I am going to make a Legend Indy
Light weight Lamb and put our new find inside it.. The WW 11 Escape Map!!
Yep you are the first to know and yes you can post it.. I will not and again
I will not charge extra for this jacket!! My People move fast and I can have
this Jacket on our site in 6 weeks and taking orders this week end with no
deposits! Now that is a Hoot.
Now for your size... Med Reg.

Regards,
Sgt. Hack
http://www.SgtHack.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SgtHackBio.com
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That liner is sweeeeet and it really fits the period nicely.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...lets push for a map liner cloth jacket in here too! :P

I want terrain on it, bro! :mrgreen:
Pete#9
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pete#9 »

That's a nice touch by US Wings. Should be a popular choice.

Sent from my iPhone.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

As far as the material the escape map lining will be made of, Sgt Hack said this:

I think we are going to go with U.S. Military A-2 and G-1 Spec...

Not being familiar with the lining in these jackets, I'm not sure what this means. Maybe someone out there knows?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not sure either, but I'm going to send my prototype horsehide Legend back to them to have the lining installed and will give a complete report when I get it back.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Received this morning:
We are going to add a little class with the Indy Legend Indy Jackets plus I think we will use this lining with a little Gold color in our repair Department… This lining is very exciting and You will see a lot of our future line with the WW 11 escape map lining in them.. We will offer both linings with or without for about the same price.. With that said starting this Thur. The First of Aug. US Wings will be giving away Free with Purchase of a Adult Leather Jacket One… Nose Art Garment Bag !!
Regards! M
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

This is SO freakin' cool!