WPG vs Todds shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

WPG vs Todds shirt

Post by Bradsburns »

Hey,
Long time reader first time poster. I have recently caught the addiction that is gear collecting. I'm sure most of you are familiar with it. First purchase was a fed iv deluxe (fantastic) then stepped up to a wested jacket (little short in the sleeve but otherwise awesome), but now I'm onto the shirt. I've narrowed it down to the two options which have realistic prices when adding shipping to New Zealand. If y'all could chime in with your thoughts....

leaning more towards LC as opposed to raiders. I keep reading about shrinking and bad sizing but that seems to be on the older models. the colour on wpg seems better to me but who can tell from screenshots.
Cajunkraut

Re: WPG vs Todds shirt

Post by Cajunkraut »

I got both last summer. Between the two, I'm sold on the WPG for a few reasons.

Color, collar, buttons, epaulettes, and overall fit are great IMO. Pockets are just a bit larger than they should be, which seems to be standard on lots of reproduction Indy shirts. Fair warning though - WPG kinda caters to the Raiders look.

Todd's 2013 run was too dark in color, with a high "Elvis" collar. His 2014 run looks too light, still has the collar, and now has pearlescent buttons.
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

great thanks for that. yea most things are geared towards raiders I feel. Did you find the sizings were true to measurements stated online?. Shrinkage after a wash?

Nobody wants an elvis collar.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I can't really imagine what indiana would be like with an Elvis hairdo and shirt.
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

Unfortunately it seems that's what they were going for with Mutt. For shame.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Bradsburns wrote:Did you find the sizings were true to measurements stated online?. Shrinkage after a wash?
Not sure about the online measurements. However, at 5'-11.5" and 185 lbs., I wear a size Large in most off-the-rack shirts, and the WPG fits the same. I machine wash it in cold water/gentle cycle and air dry it (no ironing!), so shrinkage hasn't been an issue.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

For me, the Todd's is WAY better than the WPG shirt. I don't really look of exacting details, though. I look for comfort and fit. I have not seen the new Todds color in person, but I have a feeling the lighter color will be goo for an LC look. The WPG color is closer to a Raiders.

The WPG, I find, is too short, at least with the larger sizes, and cut much too generously. And I'm not a skinny guy! Also, the fabric is stiff and smothers me in the warmer weather, which is mostly when I end up in Indy gear. The fabric actiually seems so stiff that the thread holding it together damages the fabric. I've had three WPG shirts, and every one has needed repair after each washing do to seam rips.

The Todd's shirts have always been comfortable to wear, even in a humid July. The fit is pretty good, but I found the sleeves long. However, my arms are a little short by standard sizing in general, so that might just be my own issue.

My standard practice with ALL Indy shirts for washing - cold water machine wash, gentle cycle. Hang dry.
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

Well it's one for one at the moment folks. a couple more opinions and ill be ready to pull the trigger. Kinda leaning todds way. once the shirt is outta the way I'm moving onto that sweet sweet magnoli bag.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

That's unfortunate, Chewie.

The cloth is a tad bit thicker, but I've yet to have any of those other issues with my WPG.
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

Any current pics would be helpful as most currently up are of older versions of the shirts. Sometimes wish I was the kind of person who could just accept a "close enough".

Thanks all.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

I can't speak for Todd's shirt as I don't own one, but I did get to see the original run when I visited his shop some time back and was turned off by how yellow they were ( the color of the new ones look much better now - more like LC ). Like Chewbacca Jones mentioned earlier, the WPG is closer to a Raiders shirt in color ( what I was looking for anyway ). I think that the details look really good on the WPG, and the SA shirt wrinkles show up very well after a wash and line dry. The fit on mine was nearly perfect, compared to my earlier Cabela's safari shirt which was like a tent! ( I'm 6'2", 255lbs - size ordered was a 2XL long ). The fabric on the WPG was a bit stiff at first, but is starting to break in nicely after several outings/washes.

I don't have a closeup of the shirt details at the moment, but this at least gives an idea of the color when combined with the rest of the gear ( pay no mind to the hitchhiking spider :P )
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Errr, what spider?
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

sweet gear. Just brush that tarantula off with your whip. Aint no thang.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Don't know if this'll help or not.
The only issue I have with Tods new release is the shrink factor. If you go to the following link you'll see half way down some pic's I took. Just got another L and I'll be washing in cold this time to hopefully minimize the shrinkage. [-o<
But otherwise I think it's one of the best he's offered. And as you'll see I have just about all of them.
[URL=http://s193.photobucket.com/user/i ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Croft
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Croft,

Where did your gunbelt come from? :)
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Solent MKIII »

The new Todd's shirt looks great, IC - much better color ( too bad about the cuffs, though - those suckers look to have really tightened up after washing )
Bradsburns wrote:sweet gear. Just brush that tarantula off with your whip. Aint no thang.
:tup: :mrgreen:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Solent MKIII wrote:I can't speak for Todd's shirt as I don't own one, but I did get to see the original run when I visited his shop some time back and was turned off by how yellow they were ( the color of the new ones look much better now - more like LC ). Like Chewbacca Jones mentioned earlier, the WPG is closer to a Raiders shirt in color ( what I was looking for anyway ). I think that the details look really good on the WPG, and the SA shirt wrinkles show up very well after a wash and line dry. The fit on mine was nearly perfect, compared to my earlier Cabela's safari shirt which was like a tent! ( I'm 6'2", 255lbs - size ordered was a 2XL long ). The fabric on the WPG was a bit stiff at first, but is starting to break in nicely after several outings/washes.

I don't have a closeup of the shirt details at the moment, but this at least gives an idea of the color when combined with the rest of the gear ( pay no mind to the hitchhiking spider :P )
oh that one...
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Solent MKIII »

Yeah, he was kind of hidden back there - stealth spider!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

My belt's from Wade Egan.
And ya there just at the point of tight, ya know what I mean. Move button to the edge and they'll feel better. Hopefully I won't have this issue with my new shirt. [-o<
Croft :mrgreen:
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

Just purchased a Todds (latest version). \:D/ Now the anxious wait for it to arrive. Will post some pics when it does. Now onto the satchel. 8-[]

thanks folks
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

I've had good luck with the WPG shirts. I've never owned a Todd's shirt though.
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

Bradsburns wrote:Just purchased a Todds (latest version). \:D/ Now the anxious wait for it to arrive. Will post some pics when it does. Now onto the satchel. 8-[]

thanks folks
Any news?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

If you've been blessed with arms, I'd go with WPG. Todd's sleeve length and shrinkage make it suitable only for rolling up (ala SOC) or tearing off (ala TOD). And, I must say, they are excellent at capturing that look. But if you'd like the cuffs to be near your hands, best to look elsewhere.
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

I don't think it's even a contest.

WPG all the way.

The color, fabric and the pattern is far better than the todds.

I have a todds from the last run, and I can't even button the sleeves - it's impossible. And I don't have hulk-like forearms or even close.

The WPG is awesome. It's not as perfect as my MBA or my AB - but it's my "go to". I love the way the fabric wrinkles.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Well, you guys have convinced me to buy the shirt....but their price has not. If I can sell my shirt on the bazaar, I could do it.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

car96 wrote:Well, you guys have convinced me to buy the shirt....but their price has not. If I can sell my shirt on the bazaar, I could do it.
Wow I remember when I bought a WPG shirt in '08 the price was around $50. For what WPG is charging, you might as well spend a little extra and get a custom Magnoli shirt or see if someone sells an Azuma in the Bazaar.

Kyle
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Just checked WPG and the shirts are listed at $48. Right what you paid in '08. :-k

Todd's shirts are listed at $49.95.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Just checked WPG and the shirts are listed at $48. Right what you paid in '08. :-k

Todd's shirts are listed at $49.95.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
My mistake... I was looking at the pants price. For a minute there, I was like :shock:

Kyle
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I think Todd's first few iterations of shirts are gold, save for the color; but I give the edge to WPG today, in terms of details and color, as to the technique in the way the movie was filmed and colored. Within a $50 repro. movie prop shirt that is produced mainly in the middle east, you have to allow for some amount of grace, but I'd say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

I'd say that NH matched exactly the color and fabric, but as you know, the shirt as appeared in the SoC scenes, color modified or whatever, is what most everyone wants, that light/stone look.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Texan Scott wrote:I'd say that NH matched exactly the color and fabric, but as you know, the shirt as appeared in the SoC scenes, color modified or whatever, is what most everyone wants, that light/stone look.
Agreed. WPG's shirts look very khaki indoors and under the jacket, and SOC "stone" outdoors, so I'd say as far as screen-perceived color, WPG nailed it.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I bought a newest iteration WPG recently, and wanted to point a couple of things out. I found that apparently the sizing scheme has reverted back to the older, and larger patterned shirt. This one is a Large, but will have to send it back for a Medium. Chest, sleeves, etc. were on the larger side. Also the color is more grayish, have a gook....

WPG-top, Todd's c2008-left, NH-right

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

I'm nearly 6'00' and about 185 lbs. The 2013 size Large (my standard size) WPG fits me like most off-the-rack (OTR) shirts.

The 2014 Medium fits me like an OTR 'tailored fit' shirt. It looks nice, but is more snug in the chest and back area. Sleeve length and buttoned collar still fit fine.

I reserve the Medium for gear wear, while the Large is my 'real world use' shirt.
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

So here is a few pics of my new Todds shirt. I purchased it from ebay. I must admit I am very happy with it. Great fit in the arms and cuffs. Length could be slightly longer. Now onto the colour.... When purchasing I was under the impression from description that it was one of the latest Todds. However I feel it does have that slight tan colour of earlier versions so I may have been misinformed. However!, I am well pleased with the shirt whatever version it is. Great stitch work. Good feel. Not papery at all as some have stated. Have washed twice and no shrinkage. As it's my first shirt I can't compare to others but I feel this purchase has opened the floodgates and more may be happening in the future. #### this Indy disease!

The Jacket is a Wested, again bought from ebay for 40 bucks! Fedora is a Fed 4. Hit me with your thoughts.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Lookin good my friend.
And opening the flood gates is an understatement. ;)

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

The shirt looks great. I own one of Todd's shirts myself and am really impressed with the quality. I think mine must be from the same run as yours with was more tan than stone.

Good looking jacket too :TOH:
bfett81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bfett81 »

Bradsburns wrote:Image

So here is a few pics of my new Todds shirt.
The Jacket is a Wested, again bought from ebay for 40 bucks! Fedora is a Fed 4. Hit me with your thoughts.

How did you get that shirt so soft and relaxed looking? Fabric softener? Detergent?
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

Thanks for the comments gents. As for getting it soft looking, all I have done is washed it twice. No softener. I did iron the button section to smooth out some nasty folds.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

great deal on a vintage wested!
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

My experience(s) with WPG's latest run, just purchased in recent weeks.

Pros: Slightly darker, Raiders-reminiscent fabric color match buttons. SA smaller pockets!

Con: Hit or miss construction integrity. I've returned three shirts due to poor stitching. Two of the three involved stitching coming apart right away - one on the sleeve where the buttoned opening meets, and the other at a pocket flap corner.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I have a new Todd's on the way (thanks IndyCroft). I recently bought, say in the last six months, a new WPG shirt and I agree with Cajun it's darker and the buttons are incorrect. I've stated earlier on this thread, my WPG came from a member here on COW from an earlier batch and he had a medium taken in, it just so happens (although snug) that his alterations work for me. I love this shirt, yes I will show it soon with the rest of my gear it is spot on for Raiders. I'm going to try washing with bleach to see if I can get the new shirt to conform, I will update with this. However, I am going to have to find buttons because the buttons for this shirt are incorrect for all Indy movies. I'll keep you guys in the loop. :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Mic,

From the screencaps and closeups I've seen on COW, the Raiders buttons more or less blend in with the shirt's color. :-k
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

I have a new Todd's on the way (thanks IndyCroft).
Your welcome, Hope it fits you.
However, I am going to have to find buttons because the buttons for this shirt are incorrect for all Indy movies. I'll keep you guys in the loop.
And if you do let me know where you find them as I to wish ta change out the buttons.

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Hey Cajun, yeah I know the buttons for the Raiders shirt are almost same color as the shirt so I'll let you guys know what I come up with. :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

micsteam wrote:Hey Cajun, yeah I know the buttons for the Raiders shirt are almost same color as the shirt so I'll let you guys know what I come up with. :TOH:
Exactly my point. Maybe it's just me, but I thought WPG's new buttons were spot-on...
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

Hmmm, I believe I'm gonna try the black sock method on this shirt. The yellow is getting to me. will post before and afters.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Cajunkraut wrote:Mic,

From the screencaps and closeups I've seen on COW, the Raiders buttons more or less blend in with the shirt's color. :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

really nice shot of the jacket's texture too.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I got the Todd's a few weeks ago and I have to say, even though the color looks good, I am not a fan of the fabric. The shirt almost feels like an old school plaid shirt without being plaid pattern, I feel to heavy and maybe pajama-ish. Don't get me wrong, this is not a knock against Todd's, as I have quite few items from them and I'm very happy, just this batch, not for me. I'm staying with my WPG but as I've said before, I purchased another shirt earlier this year and it's darker than the one I presently own so I'm going to work this one and see how it goes. It's about production and when you outsource manufacturing sometimes you don't get what you expect, everyone is trying to save a buck so it may not be Todd's or WPG but the people they hire across the water that don't use the same materials/suppliers every batch.
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

Hmmm pajamaish is definitely not what you want in an indy shirt. My todds, again it's an older version, is in no way bedroom attire....well.... No definitely not. material on mine is thin but not too thin and after a few washes has softened up rather nicely.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...it might be cool to see the wife in it at night... :P

kinda' spices that adventure flavor..?