Indiana Pants (trousers) LL Bean / Todd's / Costume Base

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Pants (trousers) LL Bean / Todd's / Costume Base

Post by mojoturbo »

Ok, came across these LL Bean pants with the flap pocket. Thinking the might be a better alternative than what I have. They were not expensive if they don't work out - but what do you think? Is this a good color. My eye has not adjusted to "SA Vision" yet, so I am trusting you gents.

Thank you all for your generous help already - this is a great community with very helpful people.
Last edited by mojoturbo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Indiana Pants (trousers) LL Bean - Are these a good colo

Post by WConly »

I have a couple of pair of Bean's Taupe pants (not offered at this time, to my knowledge), which are very close to those seen on the screen...and then several pair of dark khaki -- which are not bad either, just not quite as much S.A., but look good -- especially with brown webbed belt or very dark khaki webbed belt (ie: Colorado Khaki -- as offered by http://straitcity.com/display/webbing/m ... otton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; To me this one is very LC! But that is just my opinion. And, their browns are very close too! It's all up to you. I truly believe that a great deal of 'looking the part' is how one feels with the items he/she has and how comfortable each is with the items. If it feels good on and looks good to you -- then you have won the battle. As stated many times in this forum, by many folks, it is true: We are not Harrison Ford, wearing a costume designed for a movie...we are -- us -- wearing what is good for us and looks in some way close to the way We view the look to be. (Bad paraphrasing, but I truly believe this to be true!) I am a lot like Mark, I grew up with fedoras and other fur felt hats and leather jackets -- Indy, just opened the door to other venues of styles, etc. Just my two cents. FWIW: The Bean pants wear really well! Very sturdy trousers, to say the least :) ! W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

LL Bean trousers have long been a close enough option in the hobby. I have a pair myself. The various shades of taupe/khaki they have offered over the years are pretty decent and the best part is they come with dual pocket flaps on the back. :tup:

And like WConly says, they are good quality everyday wear trousers to boot.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

As Indy pants on a budget, the LL Beans are the best by way of quality, price, and look. The current stock best option is the Dark Khaki color, and the style is the "Dress Chinos".

For a look at them as part of Indy Gear...

For reference, the other gear includes a brown web belt, a Noel Howard Raiders shirt, and an AB hat in the normal brown color.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:As Indy pants on a budget, the LL Beans are the best by way of quality, price, and look. The current stock best option is the Dark Khaki color, and the style is the "Dress Chinos".

For reference, the other gear includes a brown web belt, a Noel Howard Raiders shirt, and an AB hat in the normal brown color.
Well, it appears to me.... :-k , and this is just me -- but the monkey looks to be a normal brown color too :rolling: ! Sorry, couldn't resist! Great touch with the monkey :tup: ! You guys look great! W>
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

The monkey is actually gray. :Plymouth:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:The monkey is actually gray. :Plymouth:
Well...on my screen -- he looks brown....please tell your monkey that I am sorry for mistaking his color #-o ! Really does look brown to me, however I still gotta say: Nice Touch :tup: ! Really finishes the concept! W>

That's a reference to the old brown-grey hat debates around the ROLA Clipper hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

While the dark khaki does look good, I'm hoping LL Bean re-releases the taupe color again in the near future. [-o<
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Solent MKIII wrote:While the dark khaki does look good, I'm hoping LL Bean re-releases the taupe color again in the near future. [-o<
Yes, it is a superior color. I've noticed they've been playing around with color offerings lately, and the taupe was back for a single run about 2 years ago, so... who knows. Maybe someday.
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

whoa, these pants ended up being really light - in which movie does Indy have the lightest color pants?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:For reference, the other gear includes a brown web belt, a Noel Howard Raiders shirt, and an AB hat in the normal brown color.
What about the gunbelt? :)
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

color scheme - it was a little overcast so the sun isn't being favorable

This color scheme feels more like action figure Indy

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:As Indy pants on a budget, the LL Beans are the best by way of quality, price, and look. The current stock best option is the Dark Khaki color, and the style is the "Dress Chinos".

I agree with Chewie especially since I own his pants! Haha they are still serving me well.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

mojoturbo wrote:color scheme - it was a little overcast so the sun isn't being favorable

Bummer those do seem too light. You'd want more contract with the shirt. You could try dying them with RIT dye. I've had pretty good success with various items using RIT.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

I tried doing a search for "dye" and I didn't see much discussion - they make a khaki dye?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Oh, they make just about every color under the sun. And then you can custom mix and match.

https://www.ritstudio.com/color-library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your local big box or hobby/fabric store should carry RIT. I've always used the powered versions, but other swear by the liquid.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

I've used both...

Here is a more direct sunlight picture

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The trousers definitely look darker in the first picture you posted. Against the shirt they are too close in color.

If you can get a taupe/mocha/coffee hue of RIT I'd go for it. You can start with a lighter shade and opt to go darker if you want.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Indiana Pants (trousers) LL Bean / Todd's / Costume Base

Post by mojoturbo »

yea these certainly are a lot lighter than my previous costume base pants

LL BEAN:

Costume Base:

Eundercoffler
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eundercoffler »

Looks like they have a dark Khaki and a light Khaki. Do you know which ones these are? I'm guessing the lighter based on the photos.
E
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

AS promised - GROUP SHOT! (huge Thank you to fellow Texan Kyle Nibling for the Todd's Pants)

From left to right - LL Bean - Costume Base - Todd's (Coyle's Clothiers)

LL Bean pocket / fabric

LL Bean Waist

Costume Base pocket / fabric

Costume Base Waist

Todd's pocket / fabric

Todd's Waist

DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I just ordered my self a pair from L.L. Bean. They did offer a dark Kahki. We will see. :TOH:
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Here are three pair of some Indy Pants that I have ; yes, I know...only one of them has the flap pockets.

The far left is Wrangler (Comfort Solution Series) from Wal Mart about $20. They have a green olive tint to them that is not the correct screen accurate color. Bought summer 2013.

The middle pair is also Wrangler Comfort Solution Series)from Wal Mart, $20 also. These are closer to the SA color. Bought summer 2014.

The far right is LL Bean Dark Khaki Wrinkle Resistant Dress Chino Pleated Front Standard Fit in Dark Khaki. They were about $45 ordered online Summer 2013. The color is not SA, at least that I can tell from any of the movies.

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Eundercoffler wrote:Looks like they have a dark Khaki and a light Khaki. Do you know which ones these are? I'm guessing the lighter based on the photos.
E
That looks like the light khaki to me, unless that shirt is much darker than the pictures look. Still, even the dark khaki will be lighter than most Indy replicas. It works best when combined with a very light shirt, such as Cabelas lightest, or the popular stone color that Magnoli offers. Still it can work with darker shirts, as seen in the pic i posted.
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

yea the LL beans are out - I may try to rit dye em
Misfit13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Misfit13 »

I too have the LLBean dark khaki. I would like to make it a more brown Last Crusade. color. What would be the best color RIT dye?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51739&hilit=ll+bean" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Misfit13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Misfit13 »

Thank you Indiana Jeff!
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

couldn't make my TODD's pants work (boo)

So I am back to the LL bean pants - with that light Kahki color how does this RT DYE color look?

http://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Liquid-8o ... +dye+taupe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Man with the Hat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by The Man with the Hat »

mojoturbo wrote:

So I am back to the LL bean pants - with that light Kahki color how does this RT DYE color look?

http://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Liquid-8o ... +dye+taupe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've dyed multiple trousers from LL Bean and with the recipe I used I came very close to the correct color, however, I never could get the dye to color the fabric evenly on and around the back pocket flaps. I recommend preparing the fabric very well but even if you do, if the LL Bean uses fabric treatments like an anti-stain application it might not be possible to get uniform results. Do a search on preparing fabric prior to dyeing. There are lots of tips. I thought I did everything right, then tried and tried again, but I never was able to dye the pocket flaps completely uniform. I have a bunch of pants I never wear now. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

[quote="mojoturbo"]AS promised - GROUP SHOT! (huge Thank you to fellow Texan Kyle Nibling for the Todd's Pants)

From left to right - LL Bean - Costume Base - Todd's (Coyle's Clothiers)

Costume Base pocket / fabric

Costume Base Waist

I just got a pair of costume base. the fabric looks great even though it is completely different. It is very light weight, but being synthetic, doesn't seem like it's flimsy. I think it's a great pair of pants...especially for the price. I really like the color. The elastic side is covered by the belt, and the zipper is actually convenient. I am surprisingly pleased with them.