MAP synthetic THIN brim

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

MAP synthetic THIN brim

Post by 3thoubucks »

What do you guys think of my new model line? How much should I ask for 'em? http://www.roadrecumbent.com/MAPsynthetichat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at it this way- Your quest for the perfect hat IS over. You've won! YAY!!! But it's not really over because it's plastic. ..... There's lots more questing for the perfect hat left 8-[] The next one is going to look better than the one shown.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: MAP synthetic THIN brim

Post by cm289 »

Looks pretty neat, just like a real hat in the photos and video. Not knowing how much it actually costs to make something like this, maybe you should shoot for a 10-15% profit and adjust up or down depending on sales and demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

If they're ridiculously cheap to produce I'd adjust you're profit margin up accordingly to make it worth your time and effort.

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

cm289 wrote:Looks pretty neat, just like a real hat in the photos and video. Not knowing how much it actually costs to make something like this, maybe you should shoot for a 10-15% profit and adjust up or down depending on sales and demand.

cm289, say you had some cash burning a hole in your pocket and you were in the market for a new lid. What would you feel comfortable paying for one of these? ... Throw out a number.
Anyone- throw out a number, baby.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I dunno- $20?
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

50 bucks would be a safe zone. Just a suggestion....... $70? That hat is super nice until you get to the cross sections.

"It's fake! See you can tell by the cross sections!" -Pro. Henry Jones Senior
Sorry couldn't pass it up! I really like this hat!
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

cm289 wrote:I dunno- $20?
That matches your 10-15% over materials cost estimate pretty well, but it takes a lot more time to make one of these, than just pulling a wet felt hat body over a block. The basic "hat body" is made of 8 individual pieces of foam and fabric.
baddates1 wrote:50 bucks would be a safe zone. Just a suggestion....... $70? That hat is super nice until you get to the cross sections.

"It's fake! See you can tell by the cross sections!" -Pro. Henry Jones Senior
Sorry couldn't pass it up! I really like this hat!
I could do a few hats in that price range, just for the experience. Haven't sold any hats yet and I want to make a few hats and see the reviews they get here.

It's a fake hat, but fur felt fedoras have been out of style .. for 50 years. - You'll be looking Indy, but feeling Old Navy. Your mate will be thrilled with your, cloth hat normalness.

Oh yeah, if there's anything you don't like about the hat as pictured, please tell me. There are a few things I already plan to change on the next one.

As to the cross section, not unusual except for the humps- they are almost an inch thick solid foam. This makes the top of the hat strong enough to support the hat with the top of your head, and may, at times, act like a Pith helmet, isolating the heat on the outside of the hat from the inside.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Looks interesting. Are their any pics of it on your head? Pics outside in natural light. Think that would help in the decision making process.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Here's another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH0XZP7 ... e=youtu.be The pics on the web page with the crinkled tan paper background are all in natural light, except for the top left profile of the non bow side, which has a halogen shop light illuminating from below. The bow side front dent in this old video is too shallow, adjusted deeper in the web page pics. Next hat I make will have a little less taper.
Travelsonic
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travelsonic »

The seems on top stand out a lot to me, but it could just be just me - still looks AMAZING.

As much as I love my rabbit AB, my BP "Indy" in ToD style, and my Akubra Fed. IV, I think this is something I ought to look into if the price is right.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Travelsonic wrote:The seems on top stand out a lot to me, but it could just be just me - still looks AMAZING.

As much as I love my rabbit AB, my BP "Indy" in ToD style, and my Akubra Fed. IV, I think this is something I ought to look into if the price is right.
Good call. The seam is too obvious. I will post a picture of the redesigned seam tomorrow.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Looks cool from far away. Would be nice to get close up video with new update.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

mcmanm wrote:Looks cool from far away. Would be nice to get close up video with new update.
You can see the slick new seam, but it's too time consuming to make. Going to try an alternate quicker solution on the hat I made before this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dn8fTZ ... e=youtu.be
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

This is getting better and better :tup: :TOH:
Travelsonic
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travelsonic »

From that last vid, I like it - the seam is much less noticeable. :D
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Travelsonic wrote:From that last vid, I like it - the seam is much less noticeable. :D
As I said, very hard to do. So, I'm going to try and use a thin strip of fabric to hide the seam on last years thick brim hat. That hat has faded from daily wear, so I've had some fabric baking in the sun for the last couple weeks to get the color faded down, then I'll try a fast seam hiding method. Will report results soon.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Sorry for the delay. I did the thin strip as mentioned above, and it worked out nice, but I've decided to do something else. I'm making big changes. I've had the brim off the hat and glued the fabric to the top of the brim - won't be wrinkling when wet or cold now, and the brim will be thinner. I couldn't glue the fabric to the old thick brim, because the less dense foam would leave a bumpy surface. Going to glue down the top dent as well. It will make the dent deeper.