adVintage junior fedora vs christy's adventurer

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

winnerbydefault
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

adVintage junior fedora vs christy's adventurer

Post by winnerbydefault »

Hi! I am new here and I am looking for my first indy hat. :D I am on a tight budget, so I am thinking of buying either christy's adventurer or a junior fedora. Which one do you think I should get? I am planning on bashing it raiders style. Is it possible to do a "turn", since the brim is curved up at the back?

Sorry for any mistakes, english is not my first language
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: adVintage junior fedora vs christy's adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

A Christy would cost you about $160. Why not save a bit more and buy a custom Garrison Raiders hat for $200? Handmade is always better, and you will be thankful for it in the long run.

http://www.garrisonhatters.com/garrison ... 13_003.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
winnerbydefault
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Actually, AdVintage fedora sells them for 69 euros. Oh, I should probably mention that I am from europe, so with postage included, christys would cost me about 75 euros, or about 100 dollars. Their junior fedora cost 10 euros less.

http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/inde ... anguage=en&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It depends entirely on what you want to do with the hat.

If it is a costume hat that you will only wear on occasion, then the Christy's is a fine choice.

If you want to wear the hat every day in all kinds of weather, the Christy's hat will not hold up long term and in a year or two you'll be spending more money to replace it.

I'm not familiar with the Junior version from adVintage.

As Texas Scott said, with hats, you get what you pay for.

Another option that is close to your price is the Akubra Federation http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products. ... Federation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; These are well built hats that have consistently received very positive reviews.

Paying a little more now will save you money in the future for not having to replace the hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I don't know if AB still sells the Henry, but I have both the brown and gray fedoras, and absolutely love them. Possibly the best factory hat made. I think if I lived over there, and did not want to deal with int'l shipping, I'd save a few bones, or use the card, and pull the chain. just my 2c.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

The Christies isn't a top quality fedora, but it's not so bad either. I've been mistreating mine for over two years now and it's still holding up pretty well.

baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I don't see how bad it is, it looks great!! In the other thread, I mistook it for a Penman.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Historically Christy's have not held up well to hard wear, especially getting wet. Many a horror story of serious taper issues.

Regards,

Indiana jeff
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Just as there are are incidents of "top quality" hats tapering too. All hats can taper. I know from experience.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

whiskyman wrote:Just as there are are incidents of "top quality" hats tapering too. All hats can taper. I know from experience.
Can and will. It's only a question of time and degree.

The real test comes when you go to reblock one.

Poorer quality felt will generally not survive a reblock where good quality felt hats can be reblocked over and over.

So if you plan to wear one regularly it's probably worth paying a bit more to get something that can go through a few reblocks than to save $50 and have a throw-away.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

baddates1 wrote:I don't see how bad it is, it looks great!! In the other thread, I mistook it for a Penman.

I hope I haven't gone that blind that My sewing of a ribbon on a hat, looks that bad.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

BendingOak wrote:
baddates1 wrote:I don't see how bad it is, it looks great!! In the other thread, I mistook it for a Penman.

I hope I haven't gone that blind that My sewing of a ribbon on a hat, looks that bad.
That left me scratching my head too haha. Kinda like one of those..."huh?" Moments.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

ChrisMD wrote:
BendingOak wrote:
That left me scratching my head too haha. Kinda like one of those..."huh?" Moments.
You get used to it . . . :roll:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Look at the bow pulling away from the hat .
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

Yes, the bow is not the most screen accurate at the moment. They make a different one for some months now (like they do on many modern hats). The front is attached within the bow and some centimeters inwards. If you don't like it, just send me a note with your order. I can change that easily before I ship the hat.

I'll also add a kind of "quality chart" to the product pages soon (felt quality, screen accuracy, resistance to weather etc), so you can compare more easily. The Adventurer makes a nice and cheap ToD or Crusade Fedora. Just don't let it get wet (and don't feed after midnight :lol: ).
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

and you guys thought I have lost my mind. [-X
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

adVintage wrote:The Adventurer makes a nice and cheap ToD or Crusade Fedora. Just don't let it get wet (and don't feed after midnight :lol: ).
Agree 100% on the ToD or Crusade fedora (and never, ever feed after midnight ;) )
winnerbydefault
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

so, is christy's or junior fedora more likely to taper? How does junior fedora respond to rain? Which one would make a better Raider hat? (i know that it is better suited for TOD or LC bash, but I'm planing to give it more of a raiders look). And I heard that Christys brim becomes very soft, which is what we see on screen in the first movie. Does the brim on junior fedora acts similarly?

Oh, here is a photo of both...well, its actually a photo of junior fedora and HJ poet, but since the HJ and christys are more or less the same...

http://www.advintagefedora.de/bilder/junior-poet.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And thanks for all the answers :D
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Going by that pic, the junior seems to have the better crown height. My Christies is not the Adventurer, but the Swerford - which was basically the same as the Adventurer, but with a lower crown height.

Yes, the Christies becomes very soft - my brim flaps in a breeze.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I'd say that is one of the things you have working for you with that hat, WM, is that the crown is not too tall, nor too wide and boxy.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Just how hard could it be to make a Raiders bash to a Christys and would it look good enough? Tight pinch and all that...I´d like to see one here. BTW Christys does look good for the price! Whiskyman I mean your Fedora ;)
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

You won't get an accurate Raiders hat, simply because the crown height and block shape are not quite correct. I bashed mine with the turn and a tight pinch so it has a fairly Raiders vibe, which these days is enough for me. As has been said, there are more accurate and mored durable hats on offer - most of them cost more, but of course you get what you pay for. Over the years I've had all sorts of hats - modern HJs, a vintage HJ, ABs, and Ab made from vintage felt, Ab Henry, Akubras and Christies. MY persuit was always a perfect Raiders hat and I got very close with some of those - especially the vintage HJ. All of them tapered to some degree over time any my dilemma was always how and where to get them reblocked. Mostly I sold them to avoid the problem.
Nowadays I'm just not that fussy anymore. I bought a cheap Christies and decided to just not care about it. It's tapered a bit and I've pulled out the sweatband and liner, but it seems to have settled or stabilised in its shape - despite getting wet on several occassions. Maybe I got lucky with a better than average batch of felt.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Taper,what taper I don´t see none ;) :tup:
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

winnerbydefault wrote:so, is christy's or junior fedora more likely to taper? How does junior fedora respond to rain? Which one would make a better Raider hat? (i know that it is better suited for TOD or LC bash, but I'm planing to give it more of a raiders look). And I heard that Christys brim becomes very soft, which is what we see on screen in the first movie. Does the brim on junior fedora acts similarly?

Oh, here is a photo of both...well, its actually a photo of junior fedora and HJ poet, but since the HJ and christys are more or less the same...

http://www.advintagefedora.de/bilder/junior-poet.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And thanks for all the answers :D
The Christys is very soft, the Junior is stiffer (brim won't flap). The Junior is a bit more weatherproof, but as all cheap factory hats it will taper when it gets too wet. Of course, you can bash both hats Raiders style (whiskeymans Christys hat looks very nice with the raiders bash! (also depends a bit on hatsize)), but they would just not look as screen accurate as a handmade Penman / S&J / Adventurebilt / adVintage etc. Raider fedora.

With an Adventurer or Junior fedora you'll have a nice hat for some years, if you don't wear it in rain. Buy a handmade Penman / S&J / Adventurebilt / adVintage fedora, you'll get a hat that lasts a lifetime (or even longer).
winnerbydefault
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

thank you all for answers, they are very informative.
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

I own a junior and also I have had a christys, all two bought from Advintage Fedora (very good seller, very serious, I recommand it :tup: )...
So, I can compare both...
The two are pratically the same in quality, but the Junior is more rigide (when wind is comming, it flys away from my head, the brim don't flap).The adventurer is more soft and floppy. Also, the crown height is smaller in the Junior, ideal for a TOD or LC hat.
The sweatband from the junior is also more soft. Two nice hats, very affordable price....
(sorry for my poor English :anxious: )

Christys pics:

Junior pics:

winnerbydefault
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thank you for all the pictures! :D