Budget indy whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Blake Bruning
Vendor

Re: Budget indy whip

Post by Blake Bruning »

Great work! Looking forward to my matched set! I would drop more pic's but I dont know any other way then photobucket. Someone needs to make a pic tutorial for this site.
Burns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Burns »

Steve Townsend wrote:Love those photos Burns! How is the whip holding up? Breaking in nicely?
Hi Steve, thanks! Yes it's doing just great! It's been really wet here so I haven't had it out a lot, but it seems to be doing okay considering. Love the sound of it echoing through the trees. :whip:
Blake Bruning wrote:Great work! Looking forward to my matched set! I would drop more pic's but I dont know any other way then photobucket. Someone needs to make a pic tutorial for this site.
I actually made that page with the images on it, but you could simply sign up for a free Flickr account, upload your images there, and then post a link to them here. :TOH:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

By the way Mr. Townsend: Your Indy Whips, are they made from Kangeroo on the outside too? Or is it Cowhide?
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

OH! And your Raiders and Crystal Skull whips are accurate right?
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

What exactly makes a whip screen acurate? There were variations in morgans handiwork as well...besides that leather comes on different thicknesses and they are made by hand. Plus there were 3 or 4 whips used in the movie. So as long as it is an 8" spike, 6-7 inch handle that tapers.wide toward the transition knot...12 plait starting at 7mm'ish and tapers fast towards 4mm at the 1/2 way point, from there drops strands at 18" to 8 plait...and 16" to 6 plait and ends 14" wiyh a 6 plait fall hitch(8' whip specs) then yes it is screene acurate..more so if 10'er.....Natural color....

Either way...Thanks Steve for the latest instalment of a SWEET 10" spike 12 plait 5' red and brandy Bullwhip...even better then the last! Will post pic' soon!
Last edited by Blake Bruning on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Blake Bruning wrote:What exactly makes a whip screen acurate? There were vsriations in morgans handiwork as well...besides that leather comes on different thicknesses and they are.made by hand. Plus there were 3 or 4 whips used in the movie. So asl long asnit is an 8" spike, 6-7 inch handle that tapers.wide toward the transition knot...12 plait starying at 7mm'ish and tapers fast towards 4mm at the 1/2 way point, from there drops strands at 18 to 8 plait...and 16" to 6 plait and ende 14" at 6 plait(8' whip specs) then yes it is screene acurate..more so if 10'er.....Natural color....

Either way...Thanks Steve for the latest instalment of a SWEET 10" spike 12 plait 5' red and brandy Bullwhip...rvrn better then the last! Willnpostpic' sion!

You don't know this place do you?
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

BendingOak wrote:
Blake Bruning wrote:What exactly makes a whip screen acurate? There were vsriations in morgans handiwork as well...besides that leather comes on different thicknesses and they are.made by hand. Plus there were 3 or 4 whips used in the movie. So asl long asnit is an 8" spike, 6-7 inch handle that tapers.wide toward the transition knot...12 plait starying at 7mm'ish and tapers fast towards 4mm at the 1/2 way point, from there drops strands at 18 to 8 plait...and 16" to 6 plait and ende 14" at 6 plait(8' whip specs) then yes it is screene acurate..more so if 10'er.....Natural color....

Either way...Thanks Steve for the latest instalment of a SWEET 10" spike 12 plait 5' red and brandy Bullwhip...rvrn better then the last! Willnpostpic' sion!

You don't know this place do you?
thanks a lot Blake! When it comes to gear, I want as close as possible. Means a lot to me coming from you.

Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Steve Townsend wrote:To all interested,
I can currently only ship to within the USA.
Sent you a email give me a shout and see what we can come up with. :TOH:
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I have owned 4 original morgans and they are various years but near each other...3 were 10' and they were all similar and different. Onenpersone ciunted the diamonds on a lic of Indiana jones and saw 14 diamonds and wantwd that to be avurate to mine before buying. One of the 10'ers had 12 and the ithet had 11. If you would find anothere pc of am indiana's whip you may see yet another handle that only had 12 or 13. The only way to have a screen acurate is to have one of the whips avtually used in the screen. I know eople want as close as possieand that is the only way...as close as possible. Joe Strain make his with a thinner handle and a better cinstructed knot...morgan knots tend to form to ones hand and move a little. Does that make Joe Strains not screen acurate? Look is good...but function to me is better. I am more concrrned to how well a whil performs then codtume. Dk I want a raider's whip to have all the similar constructikn...yes...but more importantly it needs to perform.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

To each his own...takes all types. But it doesn't take a good actor to spot a bad one!
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Blake Bruning wrote:I have owned 4 original morgans and they are various years but near each other...3 were 10' and they were all similar and different. Onenpersone ciunted the diamonds on a lic of Indiana jones and saw 14 diamonds and wantwd that to be avurate to mine before buying. One of the 10'ers had 12 and the ithet had 11. If you would find anothere pc of am indiana's whip you may see yet another handle that only had 12 or 13. The only way to have a screen acurate is to have one of the whips avtually used in the screen. I know eople want as close as possieand that is the only way...as close as possible. Joe Strain make his with a thinner handle and a better cinstructed knot...morgan knots tend to form to ones hand and move a little. Does that make Joe Strains not screen acurate? Look is good...but function to me is better. I am more concrrned to how well a whil performs then codtume. Dk I want a raider's whip to have all the similar constructikn...yes...but more importantly it needs to perform.
I want a good whip that performs. from the youtube video that was posted earlier in this thread, it performed great! by the way, Mr. Townsend, those prices that you sent me by PM: do they still stand the same?

MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

PM sent.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Looks like he may be getting some more business soon...lol This thread seems to be picking up...contacted him but havent heard anything..hope everything is ok his way...anyone heard anything from Steve?
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

He is currently finishing up my orders and he is trying to fix up a house to move into so he has a full functioning workshop so he can crank out the orders. He is married with 3 girls..."nuff said" please just be patient. and keep contacting.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Blake Bruning wrote:He is currently finishing up my orders and he is trying to fix up a house to move into so he has a full functioning workshop so he can crank out the orders. He is married with 3 girls..."nuff said" please just be patient. and keep contacting.

OMG...married with 3 girls....he's got his hands full and then some...lol :mrgreen:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Blake, would you mind posting pics of your whips when they arrive? still trying to figure out things. Thanks! Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
Burns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Burns »

baddates1 wrote:Blake, would you mind posting pics of your whips when they arrive? still trying to figure out things. Thanks! Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
I posted this link of pictures on the previous page, just making sure the people requesting pictures see it. This is the whip I got from Steve. And yes, he is up to his eyeballs, just be patient.

http://www.davidburnscreative.com/photos/whip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Latest Whip from Steve...5' 12 Plait w/ 10" Spike...he is currently finishing up the matched one.

http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/indyv ... est%20Whip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

welll as soon as he's caught up...Im in the market for a Raiders 10 ft one...sent him my email , hope we can talk about getting it made soon. :D
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Just a little bump to make sure this thread doesnt disappear. :TOH:
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I think Steve is about ready to make some whips. It is just that I think he is done making them for cost. He has accomplished making really good whips.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

What are his prices? At least for Raiders 8 foot whips.

arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Yes Id like to know some price as well...in the market for a Raiders 10 footer.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

just bumping to see if theres any updates.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Happy St. Patrick's Day...hoping I hear some news soon...wanting me a streets of cairo Indy whip soon. ](*,)
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

I'm curious on the pricing as well?! I'd like to either get a Raiders 8 or 10 foot whip.

James
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Can anyone post pics of his most recent whips by Steve Townsend and could someone tell me how much a Raiders 8 foot would cost?
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

You know...I believe Steve has an 8' KOTCS recently made for sale. I think he is wanting $300 plus shipping...but you will have to talk to him to make sure.
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Hello all!
Sorry it's been so long since I posted here. Been busy. I currently have a crystal skulls whip with pics listed in the classifieds for those interested. More to come soon.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Great whips S.T. :tup: :tup: :tup: and like always the price hit the roof,for me that is.... ](*,) or is 300 "standard" price?
Burns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Burns »

MARQ wrote:Great whips S.T. :tup: :tup: :tup: and like always the price hit the roof,for me that is.... ](*,) or is 300 "standard" price?
$300 is a great price for that kind of craftsmanship. Check around at some other places and see the same thing for $600 and up, even $900 for a David Morgan whip. You got a bargain.
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

Are you still making these whips, Steve? If so, what would be the price for a 10 ft, 12 plait kangaroo whip? :)