Wested's HERO jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Take a look at the behind the scenes/deleted scenes on the Blu-ray bonus disc. Pretty sure sure I see a K stitch. But this may be beside the point...

If Wested wasn't going to give you your special requests, they should have told you.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The Hero pattern has basically been standardized, but if you want X-box, brass zip, certain pocket dimensions, then the RoLA might be a better choice for you, since you can spec. it some..?
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

[quote="RayROnline"]...the straps in back are very long (I may double them back)..quote]

Mine were way too long so I got them altered, easy fix and much better now.

:TOH:
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Zoltar wrote:
RayROnline wrote:...the straps in back are very long (I may double them back)..quote]

Mine were way too long so I got them altered, easy fix and much better now.

I have to do the same at some point, but looking at this picture, the straps looks long too :-k

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I love the longer straps. That and the side vents are really what sets the Indy jacket apart from all other jackets. Everyone else either has the ribbing, or just a flat edge, or an edge with those silly tiny straps with snaps or buttons that usually ride too low. The side vents and straps configuration are completely unique to Indiana Jones and so when I`m wearing it, I like the shadow of leather straps dangling around and I like the peek-a-boo of my under shirt thru the vents as I move around. Thats just me for me but I find that very uniquely endearing. :D
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

You can request for Wested to shorten the straps. Ideally, the straps should not be longer than the action side panel is wide, plus about 1" for the anchor (K or X box), allowing for about 2" slack, so one angle would be to measure the side panel and then add about 3". The new buckle they use secures the straps pretty well.

The ones in the still are not long. I have seen them almost touching, less about 2". THAT is too long.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Mine did almost touch in the middle that's why they went back for a chop job! :lol:

Anyone intrested in getting there hands on the aformentioned Shrunken Lamb Hero - (40) that used to have very long straps but now looks awsome! can check out my ad in the Bazaar (Shameless plug over :Plymouth: )

moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Kt Templar wrote:I would concur on that, don't over order the length on this jacket.

My LC is 24.5 and fits perfect. My newest Hero is a 24.5 and is about 1.5" too long on my short arse frame.

Shame cos the leather itself rocks.

Ok, here is my latest one… Slightly longer in the body and the washed lamb.

My office has daylight bulbs and this is without flash. It’s about what it looks like in real life, it’s possibly slightly warmer/redder coloured in person.

It has had a hot water shower.

Is this the "Skyfall" leather?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Yes, this leather would make an awesome Skyfall jacket.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

What I mean is, is that the leather that is currently used for the Skyfall jacket as per Wested's website. I believe they first offered the Skyfall in a different leather. Just wondering in case I ask Peter for this leather - would like to be sure he knows which hide I'm interested in.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Best check with him, they do use a washed/shrunk lamb for the Skyfall, if asked, and it is appropriate to the Menlo leather, though the Menlo goes through a heavy distressing process.

I had mine made in antique cow and that leather is good too, but heavier than the screen jacket.

This shrunk lamb is very good and wears in well. It starts off feeling a bit like goat, but has softened in the more often flexed area to a lovely butteryness.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

That WAS Fast.

After realizing my HERO Dark Brown Lamb (post Feb. 14, 2014) was not sized exactly right, I sent it back to Wested, they agreed and re made the jacket which arrived today March 19! Impressive turn around. This time the measurements are exact.

These new jackets are to me like a piece of new clay, just waiting to have an artist shape it into something final and beautiful. I can't wait to start in on this one. This leather seems a lot like vinyl to me. Meaning, not a lot of character of its own. It is very smooth and soft. Not grainy or striated. On the other hand, it is just what I wanted. very light weight for warmer temps. And I think it will take on the "look" with a little love.

So, here are a few teaser pics. I actually did a series of un-boxing...or actually un packaging snaps which I will put up later as links if you are interested. But for now, here is a glimpse of the new Wested HERO Dark Brown Lamb size 40 (including the cool inner label)

Wardrobe "selfies" are the hardest, eh?

moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

I am tempted by either this dark lamb or the dark predistressed cow. I hope they will make it without the new inside label which I personally find rather corny. I'm leaning towards the cow as I prefer leather jackets to have a bit of substance.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Looks like a perfect fit! Congrats!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Fit is perfection! Well done on getting the size you wanted.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

moses wrote:I am tempted by either this dark lamb or the dark predistressed cow. I hope they will make it without the new inside label which I personally find rather corny. I'm leaning towards the cow as I prefer leather jackets to have a bit of substance.
I asked Rebecca the same thing and her answer was "We can make the jacket without this label".

Hope this helps :TOH:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

My new Hero in think dark cowhide arrived yesterday. I'm actually quite shocked at how thin the leather is, even though I had a sample beforehand. I normally like a little more substance in a leather jacket. It certainly has that Raiders drape and I really like the colour..just not sure I can get used to the light weight.
Last edited by whiskyman on Sun May 25, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Both really nice jackets! Interesting that you guys went darker. ;)
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Ray- your jacket looks really beautiful up against the Indy shirt....the colors look just right together. Glad you got your sizing right and now......get to creating! Mold and mush and make it yours!

Whiskeyman- Just how light is this? Compared to the dark brown lamb. I am really liking the look of this jacket leather...but then your jackets have all looked great on you.

Good stuff guys, way to go Wested!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Whiskeyman, your jacket looks incredible! I love the look and fit that it has on you. I've gotta get myself another Wested Hero jacket. I have one in the Crispe version and I would love to have one in a leather like that. Very GOOD stuff!! :TOH: :tup: :tup:
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Love the dark brown!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The more I look at it, the more I like it, WM. If you are ever unhappy with it, just box it up, and send it to me for 1/3 the value...? :P
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I'd say it is exactly as thin as the dark brown lamb. I ordered one a year ago and returned it, because it was SO thin! Ended up buying a "dar grainy cow!" that wasn't grainy and wasn't dark - rather authentic brown normal cow and very heavy, which I thus sold. To be honest, if I hadn't been sent a sample, which I returned in order to match the hide for my jacket, I would swear this is the same thin lamb that I returned a year ago! Of course it's not - but it's very similar and the thinness bothers me just as it did then.
I know there are some folks that would LOVE the thinness - afterall it's what gives the Raiders jacket it's drape. For me..I just wish Wested had never stopped offering dark brown goat. That was the only hide so far with the colour, drape and right ammount of weight for me.
This one may have to go back. Which will put me in the same position I was in a year ago..not having an Indy jacket.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

whiskyman wrote:I'd say it is exactly as thin as the dark brown lamb. I ordered one a year ago and returned it, because it was SO thin! Ended up buying a "dar grainy cow!" that wasn't grainy and wasn't dark - rather authentic brown normal cow and very heavy, which I thus sold. To be honest, if I hadn't been sent a sample, which I returned in order to match the hide for my jacket, I would swear this is the same thin lamb that I returned a year ago! Of course it's not - but it's very similar and the thinness bothers me just as it did then.
I know there are some folks that would LOVE the thinness - afterall it's what gives the Raiders jacket it's drape. For me..I just wish Wested had never stopped offering dark brown goat. That was the only hide so far with the colour, drape and right ammount of weight for me.
This one may have to go back. Which will put me in the same position I was in a year ago..not having an Indy jacket.
Have you tried TODD's? :-k I have their last years and Westeds Dark Brown Lamb. TODD's has more thickness like you describe. Both great jackets!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Todd's jackets won't work for me - his sleeves are too short.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

WM, I received a db goat jacket not too long ago, less that a year, probably. Are you sure they are out?

It is one of the best jackets Wested has ever made for me. I agree with you about the weight. It is thin, but not too thin and has a bit of heft to it. If I could only choose one, it would be a toss up between it and the BK.

Why not consider BK? If you are looking for something more 'authentic' his is about as close as you can get at the moment. S&J may have some of their SL left in stock?

It sounds like your 'beef' is more about skin type, thickness and weight than it is pattern or details? In terms of the skin used, BK, S&J and Todd's are the front runners in that area at the moment.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Texan Scott wrote:WM, I received a db goat jacket not too long ago, less that a year, probably. Are you sure they are out?

It is one of the best jackets Wested has ever made for me. I agree with you about the weight. It is thin, but not too thin and has a bit of heft to it. If I could only choose one, it would be a toss up between it and the BK.

Why not consider BK? If you are looking for something more 'authentic' his is about as close as you can get at the moment. S&J may have some of their SL left in stock?

It sounds like your 'beef' is more about skin type, thickness and weight than it is pattern or details? In terms of the skin used, BK, S&J and Todd's are the front runners in that area at the moment.

BK missed a 2nd buy from me. I got one of their first runs. Great but not light at all. The second (last) skin got some great reviews, seemed to be lighter weight (as I prefer) and looked awesome, but upon inquiry I was told they would be getting new leather in soon and I've never heard about it since. I am now about a week away from getting my S & J with high hopes!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I deleted some of the earlier pics so I can show you how the cowhide looks after the shower treatment. Also thought it might be nice to wear some Indyesque clothes this time.

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Am SO tempted to distress this jacket! I tried out a few things on the sample I was sent and the results were pretty cool! The under-colour is not so different to the top colour - rather like the original Raiders jacket.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Whisky...!? Now that´s a jacket! A real keeper... And you say that you can´t find a jacket "that looks the part" on you...MAN :tup: That does it ! Umm how does it look zipped up like in the Raven Bar... I forgot your size,what specs did ya give or is it "off the peg"
Last edited by MARQ on Sun May 25, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Many times guys will wear the jacket before it is dry to work the wrinkles in. Sandpaper is irreversible though.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

MARQ wrote:Whisky...!? Now that´s a jacket! A real keeper... And you say that you can´t find a jacket "that looks the part" on you...MAN :tup: That does it ! Umm how does it look zipped up like in the Raven Bar... I forgot your size,what specs did ya give or is it "off the peg"
There are no "off the peg " Hero jackets - this is a size 40 with 24" back and 25" sleeves. Which probably would be the "off the peg" measurements if they offered them. I always used to buy "off the peg" Raiders and Rola jackets and the chest / length / sleeve length was always perfect for me. The only reason I can't get a Todd's, for example, is because the same isn't true. The correct chest would have the wrong length and vice versa.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I was wondering if this thin cow was the same as the one I have, and it does look like it when after the shower treatment. It makes so much difference to the character of this leather.

Looking better by the minute, if it is the same leather even more character will pop in time.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I'm not it's the same as yours - it's from a small batch of hide that Peter got in during our series of phone calls. From the pics, yours doesn't seem to be as thin as mine. Mine really is thinner than regular lambskin, although it feels like it's beefed up a tad since the shower.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Well WM it´s a great fit then ;) :TOH: :D I´ve noticed the same thing about the jackets specs. :-k Todd is light jacket but the Wested seems lot more tempting nowadays and those current Wested skins seem lighter as I´m looking for a light weight jacket
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

A few tweaks for future Hero's...thinner collar, yoke and pocket flaps.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I wouldn't do any of those. I like them just the way they are.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Don't take my word for it, just take a look at the original: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pre-Hero project, there were certain specs about the RoLA pattern that were spot on, like the pockets and collar. I like the wider storm flap of the Hero, and I think it is faithful to the original. However, from time to time, its ok to step back and eyeball the 'tapestry' so to speak. ;)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I especially like the Hero pocket flaps and the collar. I wouldn't go messing with those in any way.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Lets revisit them strips o' leather from yesteryear, shall we. Not too bad on the pocket flaps, although sometimes they can look a bit on the wide side:

Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The prototype...and that was with no mussing in anyway to try and make it look like the shot. The pocket flaps were shortened a bit after that.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I am totally in love with the thin cowhide jacket!!!!!
I have worn it everyday since I got it - even just around the house - even slept in it once! It just keeps looking better and better and the lightweight is proving to be very useful. Wore it hiking and could roll it up into my back pack when then sun came out. If it gets too warm cycling I can roll it up and stow it on the back of my bike. The texture of the leather is starting to look great and the jacket is looking very broken in already.
Today I wore it while sweeping out the garage - got covered in dust and looked like Indy emerging from the Well of Souls
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I can't wait to see pictures of it in the Bazaar! ;) :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I'm rooting for WM to stick it out on this one! Stay the course, WM! Sweep that garage a few more times.... :P
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Kt Templar wrote:Image

The prototype...and that was with no mussing in anyway to try and make it look like the shot. The pocket flaps were shortened a bit after that.
This has bothered me for awhile but why have the pockets grown straighter and bigger then the original raiders jacket? And everybody knows that the buttons where higher up in the raiders movie then they are now, why is that? As you can see, the raiders jackets have me a bit miffed.
Last edited by baddates1 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

what type of skin is Wested calling "nappa" these days?
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Nappa is just another term for lambskin.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

baddates1 wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:Image

Those has bothered me for awhile but why have the pockets grown straighter and bigger then the original raiders jacket? And everybody knows that the buttons where higher up in the raiders movie then they are now, why is that? As you can see, the raiders jackets have me a bit miffed.

Years back Wested's Raiders was inaccurate with massive pockets. Some called them clown pockets.

After lots of feedback and access to a Nowak, the Wested Hero Raiders is now pretty good.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

For those of you that actually own a Hero: how is the fit
as far as he size of the armholes and the angle that the
sleeves are attached to the jacket? If you zip it up and
raise your arms straight out to the sides in a "T", does
the body of the jacket stay close to your torso, or does
it flare out like a pair of wings? And how slim is the fit
compared to their RoTLA jacket?
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Tyrloch, I've had my Wested hero since they began to offer them and I can say the fit is very nice. I bought their standard Raiders version back in '05 or '06 and the differences are night and day. The leather is much thinner and softer. I wouldn't say that the cut is substantially slimmer, but it is a slimmer fit along with the arm holes being cut smaller which adds to the fitted look. This also reduces the "wings" problem of the former jacket offering. Don't expect it to be a skin tight fit as the Raiders jacket had some space in it. Choose your correct size and I expect it to be a perfect fit(depending on your shape) The arm cuff holes, for me, are probably an inch, maaaaybe two, too much in circumference, but it is not enough to be annoyingly noticeable. I see stills from the film where they look pretty loose and others where they seem smaller. It may be just a matter of personal preference. Overall, it is a great jacket that pulls off the look of the film jacket. I hope this helps.

jlhampton