Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by RayROnline »

Illinois James wrote:Is it possible Kelso doesn't mark custom- sized jackets? That is, not their standard sized jackets with their set dimensions and measurements?
My thinking exactly. Quite possible.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Although, now that I think about it, Tex was the one detailing where to find the size stamp, and I think he had the dimensions tweaked for his RH, right??

So, I dunno!! :lol:

Andy did say in an email to me that a jacket made in the standard dimensions was returnable, but if the dimensions were customized that it was not. Which I guess that makes sense.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Illinois James wrote:Is it possible Kelso doesn't mark custom- sized jackets? That is, not their standard sized jackets with their set dimensions and measurements?
I've had a couple made with customizations and they both had numbers... As I said, very faint but in the right light...
But anything's possible.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Anybody have any thoughts on the grainy lamb? I'm considering the 'South America', since my Steele&Jones scratches the 'Cairo' itch, at least for now. The weathered lamb offering looks rather interesting as well, especially if screen accuracy isn't too important.

My plan is to buy the more economical version of this jacket in basically stock dimensions, then, maybe next year, once I nail the sizing, splurge for a Relic Hunter in Victory horsehide.

I'm leaning toward asking for satin lined sleeves, which Andy said he could do. Wish my Nowak Raiders and Steele&Jones had the satin lined sleeves. I don't like the 'tugging' on the long sleeve shirts. Much more tolerable when I wear short sleeve shirts under them.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from current (and past) Relic Hunter owners!

Thanks! :tup:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Illinois James wrote:Anybody have any thoughts on the grainy lamb? I'm considering the 'South America', since my Steele&Jones scratches the 'Cairo' itch, at least for now. The weathered lamb offering looks rather interesting as well, especially if screen accuracy isn't too important.

My plan is to buy the more economical version of this jacket in basically stock dimensions, then, maybe next year, once I nail the sizing, splurge for a Relic Hunter in Victory horsehide.

I'm leaning toward asking for satin lined sleeves, which Andy said he could do. Wish my Nowak Raiders and Steele&Jones had the satin lined sleeves. I don't like the 'tugging' on the long sleeve shirts. Much more tolerable when I wear short sleeve shirts under them.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from current (and past) Relic Hunter owners!

Thanks! :tup:
The grainy lamb is superb, too. If you're not one to require striations, this is a great way to go, I think. I love that weathered lamb too, and have only seen pictures of a jacket made out of it. You can't go wrong!

I own two Relic Hunters now! Victory horse, and a grainy lamb, although once had a striated that wasn't quite in my size. I LOVE BILL KELSO JACKETS.
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

Baldwyn, I share the same feelings concerning Bill Kelso Mfg Co jackets. Have a "Relic Hunter" in their version of the lamb touch cowhide. Beautiful jacket which has fulfilled my personal quest for THE "ROTLA" jacket. Now if they would only produce their versions of the "Temple of Doom" and "Last Crusade" jackets.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Thanks, guys. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. And you guys obviously aren't going to try to STOP me, so.....

I don't need the striations...for now, anyway. I'm thinking grainy for a Hawaii/South America jacket. Next will be horse for the motorcycle. Then maybe a striated in the future.

As for more movie jackets....sheesh, I need to work some overtime! :lol:
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

Hope everyone didn't misconstrue my post as Bill Kelso Mfg Co WAS or IS going to produce versions of "Temple of Doom" and/or "Last Crusade" jackets. Actually meant to say that I WISH Bill Kelso Mfg Co WOULD produce those jackets.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Yeah, I think I've read somewhere that Kelso intended to do the other movie jackets, but I don't think Andy's ever stated as much, but I may have missed it. They keep plenty busy with their excellent flight jacket repros. Just gorgeous jackets, those are.

I'd like a TOD jacket. I don't think they're officially offered by Wested right now, and I don't think Peter likes to make them, for his own reasons. Maybe he'd make one on a request, I dunno.

Seems like it would be an easier jacket to replicate than Raiders, since Raiders kinda has 2 main 'heros'. But I'd think the fit and drape would be harder to nail for body types very different from Ford, who, at the time, was in great physical shape.

Probably would be hard to improve on some of the perfectly distressed LC jackets some guys have on this forum! But I have no doubt that Kelso could produce a good one!
Zaremba
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Zaremba »

Tibor wrote:
I've had a couple made with customizations and they both had numbers... As I said, very faint but in the right light...
But anything's possible.
I have got two BK A-2s. Both have size stamps but one has it missing at the main label but has it only at the pocket.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

We're describing the sequential number of jacket production, not the size numbers. Kelso stamps the jacket production number "10/1981" for example on the inside of the inside pocket lining. :TOH:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I see. Thanks, T!

Sounds like it can be a little hit-and-miss for either stamp, or, tag. Not a big deal, really.

Still haven't gotten around to ordering mine! :D
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

How long have Kelso orders been taking, it's been four weeks since I placed mine and the anticipation is killing me!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

6 weeks seems about average; 4 weeks maybe if they're in a lull. Should be soon!
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Still waiting :(
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Ooo just got an update from Andy.
\:D/
Just waiting on a new batch of leather to arrive!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

\:D/ \:D/
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...got my Cole Slaw back today and couldn't be happier about it! \:D/

See, you play the country song backwards and you get all your stuff back...the dog comes back, the horse, the job...
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Still waiting :cry:
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

Thinking of pulling the trigger while the current 15% off special is still going. I'm wondering if anybody has gotten a BK with the latest batch of leathers? I think this is the third (maybe the fourth) batch...? Anyway, if there's anybody out there that has a new one, please share your thoughts.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

You better check with BK about the 15% special, because I believe it is now over. Andy told me that the last batch of leather was the best yet.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

I can finally turn the :( into a :D , mines on it's way \:D/
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Zoltar wrote:I can finally turn the :( into a :D , mines on it's way \:D/
Great news! Congrats :TOH:
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
It's here, words fail me, I need a while to take it in! :D
:TOH:
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Congrats! \:D/
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Zoltar wrote:\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
It's here, words fail me, I need a while to take it in! :D

Words, you got. Right now...pictures fail you, lol Can't wait to see it!
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Pics!
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

moses wrote:Pics!
Yes, please! I actually pulled the trigger, myself, a couple of weeks ago (emailed Andy, was able to take advantage of the promotional discount), and I'm dying to see an example of the latest batch of leather!
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Pattern wise it's pretty much identical to the Wested Hero's I've had/got which is what you'd expect both being copied from a TNO so I'm not going to comment on it or the fit as I think both are a personal thing based on your own observations. Materials and crafmenship are flawless and I wasn't expecting any less.

First impressions of the hide:
I was expecting smooth with striations but this is pretty grainy and pebbly, very similar to Wested's shrunken lamb but with striations (only in look!)
This is by far the lightest jacket I've had but my current daily wearer is a comp weight Vanson X3 which makes anything feel light so my judgement maybe off a little!
It's also deceptively soft, the texture makes you expect it to feel rough but when you run your hand down it's so soft you can't feel any of the lumps and bumps. :-k kind of messes with your head and you end up strokeing it like a kittens belly :lol:

After the initial excitement of unpacking a new jacket and trying on for size I always end up going through a love/hate rollercoaster with it. Untill I've had a few weeks wear, got used to the feel, broken things in a bit, got it moulded to my shape and made it truly mine can I step back and judge it properly.

I'm pretty lax when it comes to getting photos posted as my work blocks hosting sites and I have to resort to my crappy laptop at home but I'll get some up soon as I can.
Z
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Does it also have a collar as massive as the Wested Hero? I can't help finding that the Hero collar is too tall.
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

Dying to see some pics Zoltar, no pressure! haha

With regard to the graininess and pebbliness you mentioned, did you order the "grainy lamb" or the "striated lamb"?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

moses wrote:Does it also have a collar as massive as the Wested Hero? I can't help finding that the Hero collar is too tall.
I don't find the hero collar massive?

CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

The collar was the thing I couldn't lie with on the Wested Hero. The BK hits it bang on. I sold my Hero, but from memory, the collar stand was too tall and that caused all the problems.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

interesting...thats the first Ive heard of that irk on a Wested Hero. Could it have been the leather type? :-k
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Well, to use Zoltar's own pics, this is the problem I had with my Hero - the collar made it look like I had no neck!
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Indy's collar doesn't appear as tall
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, it takes a little bit of time and wear for leather to relax. From your photo, it looks like a brand new jacket right out of the package that hasn't been worn long enough to get it to limber up. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Maybe..very interested in seeing the collar on this new jacket though (back on topic ;) )
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

That Hero in the photo's was a pre-production hero and the collar on my later SL Hero was different, can't remember what was different about it though. :-k Whether this was an intentional revision to the pattern made before the production run or just the pattern 'wandering' I don't know. Wouldn't be the first inconsistency in Wested's output! :lol:
First thing I noticed was the smaller collar on the BK. I still haven't had chance to take a proper good look at it yet. I'm starting a new job in a weeks time so thing's are a bit hectic at the old place as I try and wrap things up and hand things over.

Looks like the pressures on to get the camera out, I'll see what I can do.

Oh and the BK's from the new batch Striated Lamb and Michaelson your right a usual, jacket was pretty new when those pictures where take. That goat's pretty hard to break, if Indy's jacket was made in that hide he'd not have needed the fridge!
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Pretty much all the jackets in the Hero thread have that massive collar - as did mine.

Sounds like the BK doesn't share that feature, so all the more interested in pics!
All the best for the new job too!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Zoltar wrote:Oh and the BK's from the new batch Striated Lamb and Michaelson your right a usual, jacket was pretty new when those pictures where take. That goat's pretty hard to break, if Indy's jacket was made in that hide he'd not have needed the fridge!

:M: :tup:
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Still no pics? :(
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

Amen to that, again, Moses!

Zoltar - no pressure, but we're all looking in your direction :)
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I got # 47 recently, will give full review later, will say I put pecards on it right away because the color was just too light for my tastes. It took care of the color, but altered the great feel of the leather! It feels like rubber!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Oh dear..
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

Now that's scary Red!
I've got a BK on the way, ordered back on 6/6; hopefully it arrives in the next couple of weeks.
Has anyone else experienced anything like Red describes after using Pecards?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I would not use Pecards on a Kelso...it really doesn't need it as the leather is exceptional and well "nourished". :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

I'm not sure the standard beeswax-based Pecard's is the best conditioner for jackets. :#:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

FACE PALM

We personally don't recommend any leather conditioning, because it clog the pores in the leather.
Neither the water treatment. The water will remove oils and natural properties of the leather.

Cheers.-
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Let's move this discussion over the gear care section and keep this one about the BK jacket, if you don't mind. =;

....to finish that thought, though, Pecards regular dressing has NEVER been recommended for use on any form of lambskin for the very reason listed above. Products like Lexol or Pecards Motorcycle Leather Lotion has been recommended, and has worked perfectly on my 2001 G&B lambskin with no issues what so ever after 13 years of regular use.

Anyway.....if you want to pursue this, start a thread in the Gear Care section so others can find it. It's just going be disappear in this thread.

Thanks! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson