Akubra Adventurer, stiff/hard?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Eundercoffler
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Akubra Adventurer, stiff/hard?

Post by Eundercoffler »

I have been considering the Akubra Adventurer and went to a local shop that carries the Akubra brand today. Though they didn't have an Adventurer, I did look at a couple other styles and they are very stiff/hard and frankly not very comfortable. I was wondering if anyone who actually owns one can give me thier thoughts. Do you find it stiff and hard or is it more soft and plyable?
Thanks,
E
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Akubra Adventurer, stiff/hard?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Not the question you asked, but be forewarned the Adventurer is not that close to a Indy fedora. Other members have gotten them and have in the end been disappointed. Not in the hat as a hat, they are good quality, but not as an Indy hat.

Here's one thread discussing them. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... adventurer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Akubra does make a great Indy hat, the Federation IV, that was developed with the help of COW membership. http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Eundercoffler
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eundercoffler »

Thanks, good info. It sounds like the Federation is a fairly soft hat (if it can be bashed without steam) not like the Akubras I was looking at. If the Adventurer is anything like the Fed, it seems like either one would work for me. I would still like to hear from someone who has one though.
E
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Post by Bigfoot »

I have one of the Akubra Adventurers from David Morgan. It is a great hat even though it is not IJ accurate. It is soft enough to crease or bash dry, yet holds it shape well.
Eundercoffler
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eundercoffler »

Great, thank you Bigfoot, that's what I needed to know.
E
Eundercoffler
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eundercoffler »

Wound up getting one of Lee Keppler's new Beaver Brand hats. Superb, I'm glad I spent the extra money!
E
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Post by Bigfoot »

:TOH:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Eundercoffler wrote:Thanks, good info. It sounds like the Federation is a fairly soft hat (if it can be bashed without steam) not like the Akubras I was looking at. If the Adventurer is anything like the Fed, it seems like either one would work for me. I would still like to hear from someone who has one though.
E
I have an akubra and it is a brilliant hat(personally, I want a Penman). They are great indy hats the ONLY inaccuracy about it 're the length of the side brim and how tall the crown is(am I right??).
Hope this helps.
Jay1138
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jay1138 »

Eundercoffler wrote:Wound up getting one of Lee Keppler's new Beaver Brand hats. Superb, I'm glad I spent the extra money!
E
Congrats man!

I own the Akubra Federation IV. Incredibly nice hat.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

baddates1 wrote:They are great indy hats the ONLY inaccuracy about it 're the length of the side brim and how tall the crown is(am I right??).
Hope this helps.
No more right than the fact Indy and Mac were stuffed in a packed truck of an Army painted 1949 Ford Deluxe, not a Studebaker, but that's just nitpicking I guess. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Eundercoffler
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eundercoffler »

OK, so I wound up picking up a Fed IV also. Went with the standard rabbit as I wanted the carbon gray color which wasn't available in the delux. Worked on it a bit today. I have to say it is a bit stiff for my liking. I had to put the steam to it quite a bit to shape it. I do like the hat though it is a bit tight around the front of my head (I generally wear a "long oval" but you can't get the Akubra's in long ovals to my knowledge). I am assuming that with use it will soften up a bit. I like the color, should go great with a dark colored suit!
E
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Like maybe a adventurers shirt with pink pants, with a web belt and a gun belt and holster, with maybe a pair of alden boots with really dark brown, close to black mind you, and a wested raiders jacket? K now that is off my chest, now let's see the hat.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

baddates1 wrote:
Eundercoffler wrote:Thanks, good info. It sounds like the Federation is a fairly soft hat (if it can be bashed without steam) not like the Akubras I was looking at. If the Adventurer is anything like the Fed, it seems like either one would work for me. I would still like to hear from someone who has one though.
E
I have an akubra and it is a brilliant hat(personally, I want a Penman). They are great indy hats the ONLY inaccuracy about it 're the length of the side brim and how tall the crown is(am I right??).
Hope this helps.

Block shape isn't bad but you have to understand they are trying to hit all 4 movies with one offering. Can't expect that much from the block shape. Specs are again trying to cover all 4 movies.as for the stiffness. The stiffer the hat the better it will hold the crease in the begining. The thing I wish they would correct is how they see on the bow/ribbon, it's just awlful.

John
Eundercoffler
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eundercoffler »

OK, heres a couple pics. I wasn't going for a specific Indy look, just a general indy style hat though I think it came out kind of Crystal Skull-ish. The flash washed out the side dents in some of the pictures but I think you get the idea.

ImageImageImage

And lastlyImage
Eundercoffler
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eundercoffler »

Wow, that last picture come out large! Sorry
E
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin