That holster and pistol sure look familiar

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

As many of you know, I am a history nut and and every night I read an entire wikipedia article (i know, not a great source but it cures my boredom) about a famous/infamous person on either the Allies, or Axis. Last night was Winston Churchill, tonight was Hermann Göring. A real jerk, but still someone of interest to a WW2 nut. I noticed at the bottom of the article, they showed some of his personal items which are on display at the Westpoint Museum. Check out his pistol and holster. I thought it was an ironic coincidence that I'd share with you Indy fans. Look familiar?

"Nazis, I hate these guys". I have to agree, but ole fat Hermann had good taste in guns. I hope the picture comes out ok. If not the article is linked under it.

They always told me its never too late to learn so at the ripe old age of 25, I start college in a few weeks. I wonder where I'll stash my walker and extra large sunglasses during class?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_G%C3%B6ring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.
Cajunkraut

Re: That holster and pistol sure look familiar

Post by Cajunkraut »

Well, wouldya look at that. The irony is that American collectors can't get enough of the German classics.

Chris, I understand that it's not the years, it's the mileage, but you're still considered a young man. What I wouldn't give to be 25 again. Congrats on this new and exciting chapter in life!

Life is short and uncertain. Don't let anyone distract you from chasing your dreams while you still have the flexibility and freedom to do so. :) :tup:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Well, wouldya look at that. The irony is that American collectors can't get enough of the German classics.

Chris, I understand that it's not the years, it's the mileage, but you're still considered a young man. What I wouldn't give to be 25 again. Congrats on this new and exciting chapter in life!

Life is short and uncertain. Don't let anyone distract you from chasing your dreams while you still have the flexibility and freedom to do so. :) :tup:
Thanks for the encouraging words brother! And I hear ya there, I am a lover of WW2 German guns and militaria. A P08 is calling my name. But how funny is it that the man Hitler named his successor carried a Smith and Wesson! Thats like FDR carrying a P38 hahahaha

Looks like he even carried it cross-draw style like Josie Wales or Bill Hickok. He's a silly looking fellow.

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Well, considering my full-blooded heritage (first gen American), I fancy a German firearm or two myself. :D
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Well, considering my full-blooded heritage (first gen American), I fancy a German firearm or two myself. :D

My local shop has one of those .22lr Sturmgewehr remakes....i really want one.

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:Well, considering my full-blooded heritage (first gen American), I fancy a German firearm or two myself. :D

It's a shame that these are no longer in production:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyD9hrqK84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:

It's a shame that these are no longer in production:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyD9hrqK84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Couldnt agree more. And i like that guys videos. He always does really in depth gun reviews.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

ChrisMD wrote:They always told me its never too late to learn so at the ripe old age of 25, I start college in a few weeks. I wonder where I'll stash my walker and extra large sunglasses during class?
There are students in our UTSI classes in their 70's, Chris. You're still just a kid in a University's eyes. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I think Göring flew with Richtofen's squadron in WWI. Hey Chris is that an S&W N frame or K frame ?? It's hard to tell when you don't have someting significant or familiar next to it for size comparison. My guess it's a .38 K frame. My german faves are a pre-1920 non Bolo C96 Mauser in original 7.63, WWI Navy P08 Luger, and 1886 Mauser Zig Zag revolver in 9mm. I feel like we're playing the dating game here where's Jim Lange ??!! Lol !! :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

micsteam wrote:I think Göring flew with Richtofen's squadron in WWI. Hey Chris is that an S&W N frame or K frame ?? It's hard to tell when you don't have someting significant or familiar next to it for size comparison. My guess it's a .38 K frame. My german faves are a pre-1920 non Bolo C96 Mauser in original 7.63, WWI Navy P08 Luger, and 1886 Mauser Zig Zag revolver in 9mm. I feel like we're playing the dating game here where's Jim Lange ??!! Lol !! :TOH:
Ya know, I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about the S&W revolvers nomenclature. So I couldn't tell you the frame. I just thought it was a very good lookalike to Indy's gun, especially barrel length. I need to brush up on my old wheel guns. Im more of a black powder revolver, and semi-auto guy.

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Hey ChrisMD, I heard you said you had a Walker ?? An 1847 Walker ?? I've been in the market to get one, obviously not an original, I'd like a new Uberti but I heard Armi San Marcos (no defunct)is a good one as well. PM me or give me a call or I you, I don't want to take away from the thread. Getting back to the S&W question, K frames were, (I beleive) .22 to .38 caliber (which is a smaller frame, when you put a K frame next to an N frame side by side the difference is significant grips/parts won't interchange etc.). N frames came in 44 spcl., 45. lc, .45 ACP, I might even go cowboy rounds like 44-40 maybe ( anyone wants to chime in feel free) bottom line the N frames handled the larger calibers. Also Colt revolvers of the same period were similar.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

K frames were also available in . 357 mag..... the Model 13 for instance.

Regards! Michaelson
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

There you go, I can't know it all. Thanks Michaelson I didn't know that .. Wow !! I can't beleive the .357 was a K frame but it makes sense it's based off the .38 and I know they developed it in or began producing it in 1937.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

That's a great find! Nice sidearm.

As a 28 year old finishing up my undergrad (hopefully by December) after serval years in the Army when I was younger, I can tell you it's not all that bad. School is actually far more interesting when you're a little older because you have the maturity to realize that much of it is important and you're able to enjoy it more for that reason. That being said there will be some days where you can't stand it due to dealing with 18-22 yr olds that are ambivalent towards everything since undergrad is often viewed as the new high school standard. But you will overall appreciate it more and learn a lot more than others. Just keep a positive attitude and remember that education and the thirst for knowledge are major traits of our mutual hero, Dr. Jones.

Regards,

Mike
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Well put Magnum. Guys, before we push the moderators too much, don't mean to offend anybody, we need to get back to the subject of the thread. ;)
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

micsteam wrote:Guys, before we push the moderators too much, don't mean to offend anybody, we need to get back to the subject of the thread. ;)
Right on, Mic.

Uh, interesting find, Chris. :[ :lol:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
micsteam wrote:Guys, before we push the moderators too much, don't mean to offend anybody, we need to get back to the subject of the thread. ;)
Right on, Mic.

We need to talk about your TPS reports. Did ya get that memo?

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:
Right on, Mic.

We need to talk about your TPS reports. Did ya get that memo?
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

This is strange to see this post here because I was looking some stuff up yesterday on Wikipedia and came across the same photo/link and was just coming here to post it and here it is already posted! Good eye. I thought it interesting that he was more interested in an American gun. Good luck in school!
best
Canada
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

From the web:
Herman Goering's Smith & Wesson Military and Police Model K .38 Revolver

Full Link: http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/ ... sson38.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;