Shrunken Lamb questiones

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Golden boy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Shrunken Lamb questiones

Post by Golden boy »

I am working towards my first Indy Raiders Jacket.

Been reading quite a bit between here and the Indy Lounge.

Lots of info
More confused than not...

Im leaning towards the shrunken Lamb "hero" from Wested, but was curious.

Is the Shrunken striated lamb stronger or less tear resistant than the standard lamb?
If it is pre-shrunk then it is safe to get it wet?
-->As most leather shrinks after being wet and drying if im not mistaken.

Getting the leather wet seems to make the Lamb details pop?

ty for your time

-j
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Shrunken Lamb questiones

Post by Tibor »

Wested's shrunken lamb is very nice ... a bit browner than a Todd's. I wouldn't say it's particularly any stronger than regular lamb ... maybe just a little. It is a little harder to train the collar for example.

It, along with many other veg-tanned leathers will show water drops when it gets wet (darker). If you get soaked in it, I suppose it would react. I try not to do this. Wested's shrunken lamb has plenty enough character already, so you shouldn't need to do much to it but wear it a lot
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I can't speak to Wested's shrunken lamb, but lamb skin in general is apt to get torn if you give it a good yank or it snags on something. If this is a concern, look at a tougher hide such as cow or goat. I will say, though, that the Indy jacket looks and wears best when it is made out of lamb skin, IMO.
Golden boy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Golden boy »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:I can't speak to Wested's shrunken lamb, but lamb skin in general is apt to get torn if you give it a good yank or it snags on something. If this is a concern, look at a tougher hide such as cow or goat. I will say, though, that the Indy jacket looks and wears best when it is made out of lamb skin, IMO.

Thanks for the replies!!

I am very....breaky with things.
So I wonder if the lamb will be to delicate for my random spills, falls and general clumsiness...

Would a nubuck leather maybe be a better choice I wonder....although I have become a fan of those striations...

I suppose the simple solution here is to get both \:D/

-j
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I had a SL Hero, and I can say that I really liked the leather. It would be durable enough for regular activities, and it is a bit thicker than normal lambskin. The only issue I had with it, it is that much of it was caramel brown in color. It would be great if they had a batch on hand that was darker, like authentic brown and darker, but a call or email question to Peter or Rebecca could resolve that. I found the skin a great type of leather for a Raiders jacket, but on the light colored side.

If you are concerned about durability, I'd recommend their thin, dark brown goatskin, washed lamb or goatskin. Lambtouch which is thin cowhide. To a point it seems, the thinner the leather, the better for a Raiders jacket. People tend to go thicker on the LC jacket.

Other options out there that you may consider is Todd's jacket, which does have the striations. Steele and Jones offers a soft, thin cowhide at the moment.