Share your Indy Guns!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Share your Indy Guns!

Post by RayROnline »

Cajunkraut wrote:Chris,

A couple more family photos for ya...

Just beautiful. From the Bazzaar you say? I have been thinking about selling this Webley Greener in the Bazzaar, but I was concerned about it being a "real" firearm, despite the fact that it's considered an antique. Is there anything I should learn before trying to sell it?

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Thanks, Ray, and I love that Webley!

There are obviously no COW administrative restrictions on selling working Indy-related firearms in the Bazaar. There are, however, important federal and state laws to keep in mind.

If you're not already aware, Gunbroker is the premiere internet firearms auction site in the U.S. They've been around for years, and I take their credibility to the bank. That said, please carefully read their page concerning interstate sales and shipping, last updated 10/28/2013:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Suppor ... &NoCount=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you don't already have a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer to assist with a firearm transfer, Gunbroker also offers a list of dealers near you who do so for a fee:

http://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/dealernetwork.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Cajunkraut wrote:Thanks, Ray, and I love that Webley!

There are obviously no COW administrative restrictions on selling working Indy-related firearms in the Bazaar. There are, however, important federal and state laws to keep in mind...

Thank YOU!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Jumped on this one recently offered in the Cairo Bazaar.

It's an original S&W 1917 with a custom-shortened barrel, just like the screen-used Stembridge. Probably a lend-lease gun, it lacks the S&W logo and instead bears British proof marks. It's still marked "U.S. Army" on the grip's underside.

I'm waiting on a pin to reinstall the included original grip swivel. Now to find some original checkered non-medallion grips...

ImageImageImageImage

YOURE KILLING ME. I finally get to a state where I can purchase more handguns without paying OUTRAGEOUS transfer fees and here you go adding another 1917 to your collection! See, I needed a new carry gun and got that Hk P30. Then I realized I coulda gotten a great Indy gun for less money. Now I'm feeling dumb haha. But this P30 is great for EDC.

However fear not, when I go out with my fedora on I carry the Hi Power. I think it screams classiness. I could almost pass for a gentleman...well....almost.

:)

Sent from Free America
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:See, I needed a new carry gun and got that Hk P30. Then I realized I coulda gotten a great Indy gun for less money. Now I'm feeling dumb haha. But this P30 is great for EDC.

However fear not, when I go out with my fedora on I carry the Hi Power. I think it screams classiness. I could almost pass for a gentleman...well....almost.
Nothing at all wrong with a little EDC love from Oberndorf OR Herstal. :) :tup: It was between a 45C(T) or P30 in .40 for me, so I went with subsonic and threaded.

But yeah, ya definitely need ya an Indy wheelgun. ;)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:See, I needed a new carry gun and got that Hk P30. Then I realized I coulda gotten a great Indy gun for less money. Now I'm feeling dumb haha. But this P30 is great for EDC.

Nothing at all wrong with a little EDC love from Oberndorf OR Herstal. :) :tup: It was between a 45C(T) or P30 in .40 for me, so I went with subsonic and threaded.

But yeah, ya definitely need ya an Indy wheelgun. ;)
I went for the the P30V3 in 9mm. I sold my dad my .40 Glock 23 so I could buy an Indy gun when I moved but the P30 was yelling at me from the case so I splurged. It was a week early birthday present. I scoured gunbroker today, but I REFUSE to chop a US military 1917. Im looking for a Brazilian contract gun. Plenty on gunbroker but I'm gonna check the local shops around here first. Wish me luck! Or better yet, fortune and glory...

Sent from Free America
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:I went for the the P30V3 in 9mm. I sold my dad my .40 Glock 23 so I could buy an Indy gun when I moved but the P30 was yelling at me from the case so I splurged. It was a week early birthday present. I scoured gunbroker today, but I REFUSE to chop a US military 1917. Im looking for a Brazilian contract gun. Plenty on gunbroker but I'm gonna check the local shops around here first.
I hear ya, Chris. You can't go wrong with a HK. Those G23s are nice too.

I was looking at Brazilians as well, but hadn't found one at a reasonable price:condition ratio before gunsmithing costs. The one from the Bazaar was cheaper with shipping than every UNmodified (even Brazilian) 1917 that I'd seen in similar condition. As Lee Keppler once said, there are no inexpensive 1917s anymore.

BTW, there's a cherry of a Smith for sale in the Bazaar. :D
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:I went for the the P30V3 in 9mm. I sold my dad my .40 Glock 23 so I could buy an Indy gun when I moved but the P30 was yelling at me from the case so I splurged. It was a week early birthday present. I scoured gunbroker today, but I REFUSE to chop a US military 1917. Im looking for a Brazilian contract gun. Plenty on gunbroker but I'm gonna check the local shops around here first.
I hear ya, Chris. You can't go wrong with a HK. Those G23s are nice too.

I was looking at Brazilians as well, but hadn't found one at a reasonable price:condition ratio before gunsmithing costs. The one from the Bazaar was cheaper with shipping than every UNmodified (even Brazilian) 1917 that I'd seen in similar condition. As Lee Keppler once said, there are no inexpensive 1917s anymore.

BTW, there's a cherry of a Smith for sale in the Bazaar. :D
Trust me I saw it. Don't tempt me. Ive always been a wheel gun guy. But since ive said "my next gun was an Indy gun" ive acquired the following:

10/22 takedown
Ruger New Vaquero
Sharps Quigley 45/70
Hk P30

Maybe a few others. See, no will power! But next is an Indy gun! A 1917. I'll even take one where the bluing is almost all gone if that drops the price. But i'm careful about pitting. What would you say is a good price for a Brazilian Contract gun? Obviously condition dependent....

Sent from Free America
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:What would you say is a good price for a Brazilian Contract gun? Obviously condition dependent....
The last Brazilian I seriously considered at a gun show was in no better than fair condition for its age. I'd talked the private seller down to $475, which I thought was reasonable considering what some in similar condition are going for online.

We're talking a project gun here, so I wasn't willing to pay a premium for better condition on any surplus 1917. Even the one from the Bazaar has light pitting on one side, which is usually taboo to me as well. But what the heck. It definitely looks like it's "been there, done that".
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

ChrisMD, let me get back to what you said in the "Scapbook" category (I didn't want to mish mosh subject matter, :TOH: moderators) don't settle for any old 1917 HE2... one will come by you. I was on the hunt for this piece since 2003, however, I am a history buff and I wanted a real WWI HE2 with some history to the gun. I lucked out in 2006, I found a gentleman in the Mass. area that had an authentic WWI British issue SW HE2 (you could tell from pics it had the crown on it in several places) with the original 6" barrel. I bought it for around $800-$850 before paying local gun shop FFL fee. As much as I enjoyed this gun, #### of a revolver, I chased down the serial numbers down on my HE2 turns out it was at the Western Front with a British Lieutenant in 1915.. it was there field use and and in excellent condition !!! I know you like you're different pieces and some can be a little out of range as they are collectible items but hang in there you'll get something maybe you can pass on to your grandson/grandchildren !! :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

RayROnline wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:Thanks, Ray, and I love that Webley!

There are obviously no COW administrative restrictions on selling working Indy-related firearms in the Bazaar. There are, however, important federal and state laws to keep in mind...

Thank YOU!
Ray, PM sent.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:Not an Indy gun per se, but here is my 1911. Its a Rock Island GI that I manganese phosphate parkerized to look WW2 authentic. Then I did a little aging on it. Shoots great and has the look of an old school 1911 but its almost brand new. About 1,000 rounds through it.

InLikeFlynn wrote:It looks like it came right out of Lee Marvin's holster in the movie "The Professionals". Very nice. I imagine Indiana Jones had one of these stashed somewhere.
Rumor at imfdb.org and here at Indygear is that Indy's 1911 was re-imagined as a Hi-Power on screen due to the wider availability of 9mm blanks. Steranko's pre-production concept art seems to confirm this, along with the GI pistol belt, holster, and mag pouches.

It's almost a shame that the 1911 didn't make it into Indy's holster at some point. Although if ya wanna read into it, the Hi-Power does have OSS implications... :-k

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.indygear.com/igguns.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.empireonline.com/features/in ... m-steranko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:Not an Indy gun per se, but here is my 1911. Its a Rock Island GI that I manganese phosphate parkerized to look WW2 authentic. Then I did a little aging on it. Shoots great and has the look of an old school 1911 but its almost brand new. About 1,000 rounds through it.

InLikeFlynn wrote:It looks like it came right out of Lee Marvin's holster in the movie "The Professionals". Very nice. I imagine Indiana Jones had one of these stashed somewhere.
Rumor at imfdb.org and here at Indygear is that Indy's 1911 was re-imagined as a Hi-Power on screen due to the wider availability of 9mm blanks. Steranko's pre-production concept art seems to confirm this, along with the GI pistol belt, holster, and mag pouches.

It's almost a shame that the 1911 didn't make it into Indy's holster at some point. Although if ya wanna read into it, the Hi-Power does have OSS implications... :-k

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.indygear.com/igguns.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.empireonline.com/features/in ... m-steranko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is what always made me weep. Ive heard that too, about the blanks.

HOWEVER as a faithful disciple of John Moses Browning, i love the Hi Power as a close second. I mean come on, the first double stack 9mm....and once you remove the mag disconnect the trigger is actually pretty decent. I have an Israeli manufac. Kareen Hi Power. Love it to death.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.
Last edited by ChrisMD on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:That is what always made me weep. Ive heard that too, about the blanks.

HOWEVER as a faithful disciple of John Moses Browning, the Hi Power is a close second. I mean come on, the first double stack 9mm....and once you remove the mag disconnect the trigger is actually pretty decent. I have an Israeli manufac. Kareen Hi Power. Love it to death.
Chris,

I appreciate the HP's design and its history is duly noted, but I'll never get as excited about it as the 1911.

For me, I think it all started with this guy... :)

InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

Cajunkraut wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:

For me, I think it all started with this guy... :)

Hey! I remember him!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Anything new?

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

*Crickets*
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I heard a couple of guys got great deals on Brazilian contract HE2s. Check out (I'm sure you know about one of these) Guns America or Gun Broker. I check monthly and there's always something interesting. :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

micsteam wrote:I heard a couple of guys got great deals on Brazilian contract HE2s. Check out (I'm sure you know about one of these) Guns America or Gun Broker. I check monthly and there's always something interesting. :TOH:

Don't tempt me!!!!!

baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I believe he just did!
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

There's a beater Brazilian on Gunbroker now for not too much
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Just make sure the bore/rifling is clean. Yeah save me the BS you know already !!! Lol !! :TOH:
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

cm289 wrote:Here's my TOD/KotCS Thompson. Unfortunately, it'll be about 6 months before I get a better picture of it- waiting for my tax stamp to clear BATF. I'm planning on putting a horizontal foregrip on it to make it look more GI. It's a West Hurley, but beggars can't be choosers!

Hmmm- 6 months stretched into 11! I was just notified the transfer stamp went through, but I won't be able to pick it up until another week- better photos posted then.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:
cm289 wrote:Here's my TOD/KotCS Thompson. Unfortunately, it'll be about 6 months before I get a better picture of it- waiting for my tax stamp to clear BATF. I'm planning on putting a horizontal foregrip on it to make it look more GI. It's a West Hurley, but beggars can't be choosers!

Hmmm- 6 months stretched into 11! I was just notified the transfer stamp went through, but I won't be able to pick it up until another week- better photos posted then.
Yea unfortunately NFA wait is at 11 for everything lately! Soooo backlogged. I wanted to build a Mk18 SBR but I just dont feel like plunking $200 down and waiting forever. Same reason I havent gotten my suppressor yet. Itll be worth the wait!

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

It s*cks that the NFA backlog has gone from bad to worse.

The good news is that there are that many new applications in the pipeline. 8) :tup:
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

Nice looking Thompson. I got to shoot one of those at Knob Creek MG Shoot several years ago. Enjoy it. :TOH:
Mr. Fusion 1138
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr. Fusion 1138 »

Sad to say, but I don't own any real firearms. But I am pretty proud of my replicas...

With my customized Denix Walther PPK.

Last edited by Mr. Fusion 1138 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by cm289 »

Still waiting to pick up my Thompson, but here's a nice (enough) M1917 S&W I picked up this week on Gunbroker. It has a parkerized finish (WWII re-issue maybe?) and a pretty tight action given it's age (May 1918).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

cm289 wrote:Still waiting to pick up my Thompson, but here's a nice (enough) M1917 S&W I picked up this week on Gunbroker. It has a parkerized finish (WWII re-issue maybe?) and a pretty tight action given it's age (May 1918).
Nice one! You gonna chop it?
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
cm289 wrote:Still waiting to pick up my Thompson, but here's a nice (enough) M1917 S&W I picked up this week on Gunbroker. It has a parkerized finish (WWII re-issue maybe?) and a pretty tight action given it's age (May 1918).
Nice one! You gonna chop it?

Nooooooooo blasphemy! The only thing I personally would ever chop is a new production S&W 1917 or a Brazilian contract gun. But im a bit of a C&R purist. :)

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I don't have the heart to chop the barrel off this or my Brazilian. If I can find a spare barrel I'll do it. The other option is to contact Smith and see if they will just sell me the barrel from the new stock.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:I don't have the heart to chop the barrel off this or my Brazilian. If I can find a spare barrel I'll do it. The other option is to contact Smith and see if they will just sell me the barrel from the new stock.

Only thing there is that the new production 1917 is blued so it will look weird with non matching finishes. Unless your Brazilian is blued then youre gravy.

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:Nooooooooo blasphemy! The only thing I personally would ever chop is a new production S&W 1917 or a Brazilian contract gun. But im a bit of a C&R purist. :)
I feel ya.

HOWEVER; Indy has never carried a 6-inch barreled 1917. Ever. At least on the silver screen that brought him to life. And that Parkerized finish isn't original anyway. So... :)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:Nooooooooo blasphemy! The only thing I personally would ever chop is a new production S&W 1917 or a Brazilian contract gun. But im a bit of a C&R purist. :)
I feel ya.

HOWEVER; Indy has never carried a 6-inch barreled 1917. Ever. At least on the silver screen that brought him to life. And that Parkerized finish obviously isn't original anyway. So... :)

But that 1918 dated 1917 is a piece of American history. The way I look at the gun thing is that I will only chop something with little collector value, sentimental value, and American historical significance. Like these guy who are drilling and tapping show quality 1903 Springfields for scopes. Buncha bubbas killing a piece of art. And since Indy is fictional I'm kind of fixated on "close enoughs" if it is the real deal. A new production or brazilian ill gladly chop. :) Swapping to the short barrel on an original is ok but chopping.....is baaaaaaad juju.

Just my opinion, op since it is your gun I say do what you like. But that reissued and parked 1917 holds a special place in US history and it belongs in a museum! (With all it's parts intact)

:)

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by cm289 »

My Brazilian (sounds kinky) has a dark blue finish, so a new barrel wouldn't look too bad. I'd have to have the barrel cut for the mushroom extractor rod or swap that out too, but I'd rather do that than permanently damage an original.

Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

I purchased a replacement barrel off Gunbroker about a year ago to do the same thing. Then about a month ago I won a gun that already had the barrel cut down so I have a spare barrel sitting around with nothing to do. I'll try to take some pics of the barrel this weekend and post them. If you like the look of it it yours.

-I.C.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

That'd be awesome- thanks!

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Indiana Charles wrote:Then about a month ago I won a gun that already had the barrel cut down
Sounds like an Indy gun to me. Pics? :)
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Ask and ye shall receive :D

More detailed pics here: Smith and Wesson

The barrel was cut down to 3 1/2" long ago and it was chambered in .455 but has been converted to .45 at some point (probably the same time as the barrel modification). There are British import stamps all over this thing. I'll tell you though if this piece could talk I bet it would have some terrific stories. I am having a lanyard ring shipped as I type this to complete the whole look.

And here are the pics for the replacement barrel: Replacement barrel

It looks to have a parkerized finish. There are some small areas of rust and what appears to be some sort of small marring to the rifling near the threaded end of the barrel (last two pics). A good candidate for a cut down Indy barrel I figure.

-I.C.
Last edited by Indiana Charles on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

CM 289, I'd leave the gun alone it's a beautiful gun as it sits. I'm with Chris MD, the gun has historical significance and personally I think it looks better than a cut down. I'll pose this to you and other members (I've mentioned this before here on COW) Indiana Jones has been on many adventures and has carried a number of revolvers with him on those adventures ( obviously look at the movies 3 different ones so far, I still don't agree with the Colt though IMHO) why wouldn't he carry a standard 5"-6" HE ?? Also if you're interested you can go to S&W website and try and track down your serial number and see where the gun has been issued. I found mine was at the European Front in WWI 1915. :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

RUGGED lookin' hogleg, IC! :) :tup: Plan to take it to the range at all?

Mine has British proof marks as well - perhaps Lend-Lease guns. That shemagh makes the photo! 8)
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thanks Cajunkraut :TOH: I do plan on taking it to the range as soon as I can. I have heard some people voice concern about putting modern loads through these conversions though so I'm not quite certain what would be safe to put through it.

Nice to hear someone has similar markings. I think you're right about them being lend and lease guns. I think I might request a letter of authenticity from Smith and Wesson and find out all the history on this gun that I can.

-I.C.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Standard 230 grain, Winchester 'white box' full metal jacket (AKA ball) ammo or its equivalent should be fine. No +P, other "hot" rounds, or reloaded ammo. US-made ammo only, because foreign ammo isn't manufactured to SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute) specs.

Give us a range report, and let us know what S&W tells ya about the gun!
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I finally picked up my Thompson from the seller and it runs great! It's a West Hurley 1928A1 from 1975, so it doesn't have the historical value of a wartime t-gun, but it doesn't have the added price either. Early WH guns were built with surplus GI parts so they run pretty good. I originally sent off my paperwork on 07/26/13 via registered mail. The USPS lost the paperwork, so I had to cancel my original check and send in another application on 08/27/13. ATF received my 2nd application and began working on it, and then weeks later received my 1st application that the USPS had managed to finally deliver. I received the NFA stamp on 06/14/14. The gun has a really pretty wood stock and vertical foregrip (TOD configuration), but I'm going to swap them out for USGI buttstock/horizontal grip to make it KotCS style. I'll post some suitable pics later in the week.

I.C.- I PM'd you regarding the spare barrel. Thanks for posting the pics.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Congrats, CM! Does it accept stick and drums?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:And since Indy is fictional
WHAT?!? :shock:

Next you'll be telling us there's no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny, either. :?
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

1921s and 1928s accept both drums and stick mags. The M1A1s only take sticks.

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

cm289 wrote:1921s and 1928s accept both drums and stick mags. The M1A1s only take sticks.
Gotcha. Was unsure if the West Hurleys had the same specs as earlier guns. :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Anything new?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

No one here has a Kalashnikov, M1 Carbine, or Winchester 1897 from that "last" movie? :-k

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones ... stal_Skull" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;