Adventurebuilt or Penman hats, AB phone disconnected help

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Adventurebuilt or Penman hats, AB phone disconnected hel

Post by BendingOak »

Obi Sean Kenobi wrote:
BendingOak wrote:My sweatband are stamped with the Penman goo and the other side is handcrafted with fine fur felt. This way I cover two type of felt with the same sweatbands.
I dont know if "Penman Goo" is a good selling point!! Loll :rolling:

I think it should have " logo " I don't know what Penman Goo is but I'm sure it would be of the highest of quality. :D
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

I am so confused
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

How does one know if their hat is beaver or rabbit ifit is not marked as such?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

james73084 wrote:How does one know if their hat is beaver or rabbit ifit is not marked as such?

You do realize that its a stamp. anyone can put anything on a stamp. There are a lot of hat makers and retail companies that sell hats that put handmade on there sweatband and they aren't.
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

james73084 wrote:How does one know if their hat is beaver or rabbit ifit is not marked as such?
You'll know it when you feel it :TOH:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

BendingOak wrote:
Obi Sean Kenobi wrote:
BendingOak wrote:My sweatband are stamped with the Penman goo and the other side is handcrafted with fine fur felt. This way I cover two type of felt with the same sweatbands.
I dont know if "Penman Goo" is a good selling point!! Loll :rolling:

I think it should have " logo " I don't know what Penman Goo is but I'm sure it would be of the highest of quality. :D
Better trademark that one just in case!
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

:TOH:

Whelp Penman hat is a go :). My order is placed and payment to be sent out tomorrow, thank you everyone. I hope to be posting pictures of it in three months. In the mean time I will be stalkng the forums to learn more as well as have fun discussing my facorite movies and hat :)

Now, about them indiana jones boots :-k
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

TenuredProfessor wrote:
Pretty much the same way you tell the difference between a pork chop and a filet mignon. I could write a book describing the differences but nothing I say would be as effective as having you taste them.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

james73084 wrote:Now, about them indiana jones boots :-k
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... ns#p840791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... =sa+aldens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

BendingOak wrote: I don't know what Penman Goo is but I'm sure it would be of the highest of quality. :D

Isn't that the stuff you use to keep the hat on your head no matter what? 8)
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:
TenuredProfessor wrote:
Pretty much the same way you tell the difference between a pork chop and a filet mignon. I could write a book describing the differences but nothing I say would be as effective as having you taste them.

Apologies for this in advance....

I'll take John or Steve's word on what kind of felt my hats are. I'm not going to 'taste' my hats!!

Again, couldn't resist.

Seriously, I'd rather have one of a John's or Steve's 'pork chops' than some other makers' 'filet mignons'!

And, non metaphorically, I've had some great chops and terrible filets!

I get your meaning though, RR! =P~
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Well, I trust john and steve. If they say its beaver, then it is :)
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alathea_Squared »

I emailed adventurbilt Europe a few days ago about a Henry, and got an answer within a day.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

John is a stand up buy, too. And makes a bang on hat-I have a rabbit from him and its a great lid

Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Beaver is more stiff...more substantial. Rabbit has a bit of flop

Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

james73084 wrote:The issue I am having is that adventurebuilt's phone is disconnected and to be quite honest, I have never made a call outside of the us so I dont know how. I would get an adventurebuilt if I could get a hold of the guy but I cant. Does anyone know how, besides e-mail, if I could get ahold of adventurebuilt here in the states to even make sure he is even still making hats? Anyway thanks for the replys.

If this will help, I would really like a hat made by the same company who made the last indy 4 hat but that is a personal preference and will look past it if I can not get a hold of adventurebuilt.
james73084 wrote::TOH:

Whelp Penman hat is a go :). My order is placed and payment to be sent out tomorrow, thank you everyone. I hope to be posting pictures of it in three months. In the mean time I will be stalkng the forums to learn more as well as have fun discussing my facorite movies and hat :)

Now, about them indiana jones boots :-k
ALDEN if you can get them. Beautiful boots, and great for daywear, too.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Of course, the boots are a discussion that should be had in the 'gear' section. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Alathea_Squared wrote:Beaver is more stiff...more substantial. Rabbit has a bit of flop

Floppiness is more a function of how thick the felt is, and more importantly how much stiffener was used. I have rabbit hats you could serve drinks off of and beaver hats that are so light and floppy you'd almost swear you were wearing a high quality Panama.

Given the same amount of stiffener beaver is denser, and more luxurious feeling. It also responds differently to being shaped by tending to stay where you put it. Rabbit is much, much nicer than, say, the wool felt that Dorfman uses in their "Officially Licensed" hats but still a lot coarser and less dense than a beaver hat of similar weight.

None of which means that rabbit felt is "less than." It's more like comparing tweed and gabardine.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Thank you for your replys. I understand now about the felt. I can not wait to feel it :).

Just letting you all know, after 2 weeks of waiting for a reply I DID hear back from steve. Seeing how I placed an order already with someone else I told steve that and would order a hat in the future from him. I didnt tell him who I ordered from though, didnt think it was nessessary.

With that said, those who want an AB, he will answer. It may take a while to hear back though. I can honestly say I am more then happy with my order and will be happy with the purchase after the hat arrives in the next 3 months.

This was just letting people know that steve is making hats (probably really really busy) and that he will get back to you.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

james73084 wrote:Thank you for your replys. I understand now about the felt. I can not wait to feel it :).

Just letting you all know, after 2 weeks of waiting for a reply I DID hear back from steve. Seeing how I placed an order already with someone else I told steve that and would order a hat in the future from him. I didnt tell him who I ordered from though, didnt think it was nessessary.

With that said, those who want an AB, he will answer. It may take a while to hear back though. I can honestly say I am more then happy with my order and will be happy with the purchase after the hat arrives in the next 3 months.

This was just letting people know that steve is making hats (probably really really busy) and that he will get back to you.

oh, you could have told him. He would be happy to know where the sale went. If you want you can switch to Steve.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

I placed an order on October 2013 and I received my hat from Steve on November 2013. All the way nice and friendly communication by email
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Did the OP get the hat? We'd like to see. Never gets old.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.