What price glory raiders jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

I just go an email about some new products from WPG: raiders leather belt (with whip strap), and a raiders jacket! Who wants to be the Guinea pig and try these new options out?

I wish there were some rear shots of the jacket.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=5473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=5462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: What price glory raiders jacket

Post by DiCatania »

They jacket looks a little tight around the stomach.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

DiCatania wrote:They jacket looks a little tight around the stomach.
Yup, it looks as if the jacket is imploding upon the wearer.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Interesting....this jacket looks similar to one I've seen elsewhere by a company professing to sell and 'original Indy-style' jacket at a very low cost, as the wind flap is wider as theirs was also. Or maybe this one just looks too wide to me. I don't know, but I am not very attracted to this one. I would like to see more of it, sides, back, open, etc. to get a better idea of what it's truly like. Re: the belt...it looks quite nice, however the way this is worded makes me a bit confused. They say...and I paraphrase here; the belt Indy uses to carry his holster and whip holder and then in () they state 'not included,' even though the picture clearly shows the whip holder. So what is not included? Both the holster and the whip holder, or just the holster? There needs to be a bit more clarification here. W>
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

eeeewwwwwhhhhhh. Warn us when you post links like this. Hideous. :Dietrich:

I think anyone could scrape together an extra $24.00 and get a Todd's and be 1000% happier.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Tibor wrote:I think anyone could scrape together an extra $24.00 and get a Todd's and be 1000% happier.
My thoughts exactly, Tibor. :)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Yeah...while I do not possess one of Todd's, his certainly look a great deal better than this offering! And, from what I've read -- they (Todd's) are truly good jackets! I still say the wind flap on the WPG is too wide! W>
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks for the posting! Hmmm, if they could provide me more pics of this particular jacket; I may consider being the 'guinea pig,' lol, since I've been in the market for a new Indy jacket anyhow. Although, I too can see potential red flags with so few pics of their new offering + it being in goatskin to boot, which is a good deal for such a nice quality leather - kinda makes you wonder... ;) Plus, which 'authentic' Indy jacket did they copy it from too, I'd be curious to learn since the pockets don't look overly scalloped like the Raiders' version tends to be. But, based on all of their previous products, I would assume that it 'may' possibly be good stuff.

Perhaps with it being so new (I'm guessing its imported from India...?), maybe WPG will post further details on it, such as dark brown or authentic brown, before I pull the trigger on one.

Thanks again for the heads-up!
Aaron
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Captain D,

The great thing is that WPG has a painless return policy.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks man, :tup:

As a side note, even though this may be a dumb question to ask, but on their (WPG) sizing chart - it states that the small chest size is: 39.'' I've always measured from armpit to armpit on the very front of a jacket, which normally came to about 20'' to 21'' for about my size. So, the 39'' inches is the number that completely encircles the chest (front of the chest and around the back), is that correct?

Thanks for the clarification, ;) :oops:
Aaron
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Captain D wrote: ...which 'authentic' Indy jacket did they copy it from too... Aaron
What do you mean? There is only one authentic pattern. :lol:

The way the size chart is worded it reads that they are measuring pit-to-pit and doubling. I would say their measurements are pretty 'true to size'. As a point of comparison, the USWings Legend pattern (US made) pit-to-pit for Large is 23" and Medium is 21". Granted the Legend patterns are a trimmer cut than other Indy patterns out there.

Interesting that the description has already been updated. When this was first posted the text was something along the lines of "genuine leather". Too vague that's always a red flag to me. Better that they list it specifically as goat.

For the price point my guess is the jackets are likely coming from Pakistan. Not that that is a bad thing. I have two Pakistani produced jackets and both are very well constructed.

WPG has a solid track record for their products so I would hope they put the same attention to detail and quality as with their other offerings.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks man for the reply,

The thing that keeps hanging me up so far is the shoulder seam measurement. When I take, for instance, the medium (according to the WPG size chart) it is 9.5'' in length along the shoulders. When I compare that to another good fitting jacket that I have here - the WPG jacket seems to be a tad long, IMO, based on my sizes (but, apparently this may just be the design of the jacket as a whole). That got me thinking that that's probably why the sleeves look rather long on the male model in the images. In other words, its like the Wested Hero jacket - due to the shoulder/sleeve design, I've read that some folks have to order about an inch shorter in their sleeve length due to the 'sagging shoulders/sleeves' of the jacket.

Even though the chest size of the WPG medium jacket is more to my fitting, I'm kinda hesitant that if I go with a medium - the sleeve length will actually fit like a 25'' sleeve length as opposed to the 24'' length as advertised (due to the shoulder/sleeve combo design). Perhaps the WPG jackets (like their shirts) will run on the larger side so that the small will fit comfortably and actually fit closer to a 24'' sleeve length instead of the advertised 23.5'' sleeve length. Hope that I didn't confuse anyone, lol...

Thanks again,
Aaron
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

To further (potentially) muddy this for you, the shoulder measurement likely is referring the measurement of the yoke seam rather than the shoulder halves. The measurement they provide would be consistent with a yoke measurement given the other measurements.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Bdgsi11 wrote:
DiCatania wrote:They jacket looks a little tight around the stomach.
Yup, it looks as if the jacket is imploding upon the wearer.
After further consideration, I dunno guys. My experience is that the 'Hero' cut doesn't really lend itself to being completely zipped regardless of who's wearing it.

I'm anxious to see a review. :)
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I received a reply when I used the WPG order form/question form regarding if whether or not these jackets tend to run on the larger or snugger fitting:

Dear Aaron,

Please see the sizing chart. These jackets are made in snug fit. So, You better Order Size Medium for better fit.

https://onlinemilitaria.net/tmp/Indiana ... Jacket.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
W Malik
Sales Manager
WPG International FZE
Tel: +971 5050 52501
Fax: +971 6 5578591
Email: wajed@onlinemilitaria.net

I'll see if they can provide for some more pictures (or plan to in the near future). Part of the reason why my interest is peaked with this jacket vs. the Todd's is that Todd only offers lambskin and I've never had much luck with that particular leather holding up for me; especially when shelling out a few hundred bucks. Thank you again for the info and I can post additional info as I find more stuff about it. :)
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thank you again Indiana Jeff for the yoke measurement note. :tup:

I wrote a reply to the WPG rep regarding the hope of receiving further pictures of this new jacket offering. Two days later; still no response. Although I realize that WPG is a reputable seller, if a potential customer(s) asks for some additional info (pics in this case) and they refuse to answer back - hmmm, that doesn't reflect too good on their behalf. At the same time, I suppose its possible that they're still working out the gremlins on advertising their new product so I shouldn't rush to make any false assumptions. But, in the long-run, if folks like me keep asking for pics and they keep refusing, WPG will eventually have to step up to the plate if they want to make a sale IMO. Perhaps they just think that since its 'copied from an original,' there is no need to second-guess their overall pattern/design.. ;)

Just thought that I would post an update, lol,
Aaron
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I don't think two days is too long a turn around asking for pictures. WPG already tweeked their text describing the jacket since the original listing and they added one picture.

As much as I'm sure more pictures would help sell the jacket, as a retailer they could do more harm than good just throwing out hastily taken pictures. Kind of like when early footage of a movie gets released/leaked and it creates bad buzz because it's not polished. They'd rather take a little extra time and show the jacket in it's best light. In the long run that'll help sales.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hi Jeff,

I totally agree with you, my friend, in that care should be taken to provide the best information/pics, etc. to potential buyers. As I noted earlier, I'm sure that they're just 'working out the gremlins.' At the time I posted, it was 2 days, at this point - about a week later with still no response. It was merely an update for anyone else thinking about going for one. ;) I suppose my only concern, as it is now, was simply seeking some additional info (via pictures in this case) and receiving a quick reply from them. Before shelling out a couple hundred bucks, and, wanting to learn more about any product can be a good thing so as not to get scammed from someone as far off as in the Middle East can be a concern of anyone, naturally.

A reply email stating something to the effect of, 'pictures are in the works, please check back in X amount of time, etc.' probably would have been helpful/professional rather than no response at all. So, as soon as they can provide some additional pictures - then I will pull the trigger on one to provide a write-up for everyone. But, until then - I'll just wait and see what happens with them...

Best wishes,
Aaron
Last edited by Captain D on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And I agree in kind that a week on, some sort of response is not asking too much.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

This type 'customer service response' isn't new for WPG. We had a dickens of a time to get them to respond to inquiries about the bags they were selling back in the late 90's. :|

They just don't do very good turn contact around when it comes to talking to potential customers. I don't know why. I guess they have enough business they think they can do this kind of thing, but it sure turns away potential buyers, which has always been puzzling.

They're either jonny-on-the-spot, but you can't stir 'em with a stick. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I think its a great item to add to their Indy stuff. Face it, not alot of people out there that REALLY cater to us and this just feels like someone actually is trying. ANYbody selling Indiana Jones gear gets a plus in my book as long as they don`t scam any of you guys! And I think WPG isnt into the scamming game..... :TOH:
WWIIREBEL
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by WWIIREBEL »

Gorak wrote:I think its a great item to add to their Indy stuff. Face it, not alot of people out there that REALLY cater to us and this just feels like someone actually is trying. ANYbody selling Indiana Jones gear gets a plus in my book as long as they don`t scam any of you guys! And I think WPG isnt into the scamming game..... :TOH:
Hey all,
I know i have not said much if that on the forums ...heck i havent been in the forums much due to life . But i can say honestly that WPG does actually quite well for service nowadays. I buy my ww2 gear/uniform items from them often,lol. True contact can be a hassle at times ,but they do get thru. and i personally admit that, except for one single solitary minor gripe(not wpg, the delivery service used) ,they always came thru for me. (Just my own experience is all)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh, don't misunderstand what I said above....they've ALWAYS come through.... eventually....but on many occasions the quest was made a lot more painful dealing with customer service than was really required.

They are one of the oldest vendors to discover our hobby, advertising the bag clear back in the mid 90's on Indyfan.com, producing the first MK VII repro bag after their first round of original stock dried up back in 2002-3......so they're well aware of who we all are and what we're doing. Thing is, we're a very small part of that business plan, so there's no big hurry on their part to follow through on many things.

That said, at least they're still out there plugging away to keep our interest.

Regards! Michaelson
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Just looked over the measurements of the jacket, and the arm length sizing is insane. 23" for a small?!? I'd have to get an XL to get decent length arms, but that 50 chest is crazy! The minimum arm length should be 25" for the small, especially for the Indy look.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Gorak wrote:I think its a great item to add to their Indy stuff. Face it, not alot of people out there that REALLY cater to us and this just feels like someone actually is trying.
This.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

If the small had longer arms, I might be a go. The back yoke and offset arm seams appear pretty good. Goatskin is also a nice plus.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Looks like the guy on the website is wearing an extra medium instead of an extra large

Sent from Free America
Last edited by ChrisMD on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I did let a few weeks go by before asking for a few more pics once again. W Malik actually did write back and provided one pic of the green lining and stated that between the new pic of the lining + the ones on the website, he doesn't know what else to take a picture of. I originally asked to simply see a side pic of the jacket, but I guess he forgot about those.

If WPG has an easy refund/exchange policy, I 'may' consider giving it a try. Haven't quite made up my mind as of yet, lol, ;) .
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Keep an eye on this thread. Tex bought one and is preparing a review shortly:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Ahhh, ;) thanks there Michaelson - I appreciate the 'heads-up!' :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup: