My new Signature 5-Tone Bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Blake Bruning
Vendor

My new Signature 5-Tone Bullwhip

Post by Blake Bruning »

I started whipmaking recenty. I am currently working on #11-#13. When I made #8, I new when braiding the overlay that I wanted to keep her.

http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/indyv ... 6%20Footer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a 6' 12 Plait 5-tone. 1st belly was made before I figured out my belly problem...but it is just under 24mm above the transition. I made the overlay from some scrap strands and several other I cut out. The whole "salvage strands" is one reason I am happy about making it. It is a 6' 12 plait. Color scheme is red-saddle tan-whiskey-red-brandy-black. The wrist loop has the same pattern. The 6 strand fall hitch has the same pattern as well. Transition is 3-tone red-saddle tan-whiskey. Heel Knot is my 1st 5 part 4 bight...should have done my usually 6 bight since i added my 1st ciuncho. I saw a SWEET looking Silver Cross on a black background Councho and had to add it. Heel knot is 3-tone red-brandy-black. The taper is great as well. 

I am currently recreating this whip as a 10' and thinking about making it a 16 plait. I would drop the red each time. So...the.last foot would be.in the pattern of Saddle Tan-Whiskey-Brandy-Black. I would like to here what anyone thinks about this pattern choice. I was talking to Joe(Strain) and he mentioned that if you have more then 3 tones only the simplest patterns will look good. I see what he means especially after this one. I had to do the handle in basic diamond pattern...I don't think there is any other way for the handle. If I had 16 plait...I could have red in between every color. That may help me make a diggerent pattern in the handle with some ingenuity.

Anyways...I would like to hear what anyone thinks about this whip. Also, I am wondering if anyone has an idea about what could be done in the handle if I did use 16 plait with all that red. There may be nothing to be done since red will be every other strand.
Last edited by Blake Bruning on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: My new Signature 5-Tone Bullwhip

Post by LZeitgeist »

Sounds awesome, but the link to the pics isn't working for me.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I just checked it it's not working. Thanks for the heads up. I'll take care of it later tonight
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I got the link fixed. I think I am going to make a 24 Plait and keep it the same as the 12 plait version. Will do a double Diamond braid on the handle and herringgbone the rest. The 24 plait will help to keep the colors and the pattern continue better for a lot of strand drops.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

To be honest - it's too colorful. It doesn't look good to me. I'd use 2 colors max. But it's just my 2 cents.
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

It's really cool to be able to follow the strands through the braiding - I'm more of a traditionalist, but that is a cool-looking whip! Great job!
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

It is too many colors, but I wanted it to show case all the hide options in color sequence(besides natural). There are to many colors to work designs as I mentioned, other then basic patterns.