Which ONE of these best represts the Raiders jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

BEST representation of the Raiders jacket...?

Gibson & Barnes, Expedition
5%
Lucas, Indy Jones, etc., retro jacket
No votes
Magnoli, Version A
3%
Relic Hunter from Bill Kelso
34%
Steele & Jones, Cazadora
7%
Todd's Standard, Bantu or Custom jacket
10%
Tony Nowak
13%
U.S. Wings, Legend, Shunken Lamb, etc.
3%
Wested Hero, RoLA, etc.
25%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 61

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Which ONE of these best represts the Raiders jacket?

Post by Texan Scott »

Tough questions demand tough answers, but of all the Raiders jackets and their makers, which one do you think is the BEST representation of the Raiders film jacket, in terms of the "look", feel, drape, movement, skin, etc? Asthetics here.

Understandably, there are price differences, but the truth is, every one of these vendors purposes to make a Raiders jacket.

Of all the offerings, which one put it over the top for you. Maybe it was just a photo.

Past or present.....

.....the words......"apples and oranges" are banned from this discussion. :P :whip:

Think it over, and give it your best vote.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Which ONE of these best represts the Raiders jacket?

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I had to vote for the Magnoli because I own one, and there is something just so right about it. That said, I still wish Todd's standard came in a size that would fit my mutant body, because watching Adam Savage in that thing always makes me feel all... Indygearish!
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I almost voted other because (except for having no cargo pockets and having straps on the cuffs) my sheepskin Levi's Vintage Menlo jacket has the feel, drape and movement more than any "real" Raiders jacket. Of the Raiders jackets I do own (and I have neither a Todd's nor a Magnoli) the Relic Hunter is probably closest.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Well, you only let me pick one...!!!

In order:

Kelso - excellent cut, nearly perfect hide, drape, color, excellent
Steele & Jones - verrrrry close second
Todd's - if the sleeves fit you
Nowak - great cut, Tony resurrected the pattern for everyone, but hides were too heavy.
Wested - the ONLY thing that holds them back are the hides, though the new shrunken lamb is pretty great, could be a smidge darker
Magnoli - I have never seen one in person though I like the pics
Gibson and Barnes - great quality, but a bit too good to match the Raiders drape and movement
Wings - c'mon, fix the darn gap between the back panel and the pleat, but solid otherwise

Now all that said, that does NOT take into account durability or price, real world factors that make a difference. But if you're trying to match what you see on screen, that's my list. :TOH:
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Tibor wrote:Well, you only let me pick one...!!!

In order:

Nowak - great cut, Tony resurrected the pattern for everyone, but hides were too heavy.
Wested - the ONLY thing that holds them back are the hides, though the new shrunken lamb is pretty great, could be a smidge darker
Gibson and Barnes - great quality, but a bit too good to match the Raiders drape and movement
Wings - c'mon, fix the darn gap between the back panel and the pleat, but solid otherwise

Now all that said, that does NOT take into account durability or price, real world factors that make a difference. But if you're trying to match what you see on screen, that's my list. :TOH:
I think that is a PERFECT breakdown of the bunch. I would have to agree with ya.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

This seems to come up a lot.

I went for Gibson and Barnes. The jacket I saw was not made of lamb, wasn't striated and was tough as nails. The drape was probably goat and the pockets details were hard to identify but looked like A2 cargo pockets.

The G&B is what I saw Indy wearing. A jacket that wouldn't tear, would be abrasion resistant but wouldn't be too heavy to wear in warmer climes.

I tend to ignore the forensic examination of those costume patterned jackets that we see here, like insects pinned to a board, as that's not what I saw in Raiders. In the movie the jacket remained largely mysterious, like the main character himself.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

How is this poll any different from this one from a year ago? :-k

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wondering,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

New year, new members, different opinions and perspectives. Feel free to delete the old one.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I think the only way to truly do this poll justice is to have actually owned or seen each jacket in person. I would love to try that!!!!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

There are several different ways of thinking in terms of your choice of these jackets. Like CM said, you can think of it conceptually, as if Indy was a guy who actually lived in the 30's, and given the rough and tumble adventures he faced, what type of jacket could have used, or was best suited to him from that perspective? He would have needed a sturdy jacket that would have held up under many of these extreme conditions, yet was light weight enough to wear most anywhere, easy to carry, packable-mobile, on the go. The way this jacket was made, it was more of a leather covering, for say, chilly nights in the desert, when temps. drop rapidly from the extreme heat of the desert sun; or as protection from the hazards of the jungle, such as razor grass, poisonous plants, mosquitoes, pre-Off days, etc.
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

Speaking from personal experience I'll go with Todd's standard.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Bdgsi11 wrote:
Tibor wrote:Well, you only let me pick one...!!!

In order:

I think that is a PERFECT breakdown of the bunch. I would have to agree with ya.
wow! Thank you so much for this referrals.
2nd place and very close. :) \:D/

Kind regards.-
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Tuff to choose between GnB and Todd's.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

CM wrote:This seems to come up a lot.

I went for Gibson and Barnes. The jacket I saw was not made of lamb, wasn't striated and was tough as nails. The drape was probably goat and the pockets details were hard to identify but looked like A2 cargo pockets.

The G&B is what I saw Indy wearing. A jacket that wouldn't tear, would be abrasion resistant but wouldn't be too heavy to wear in warmer climes.

I tend to ignore the forensic examination of those costume patterned jackets that we see here, like insects pinned to a board, as that's not what I saw in Raiders. In the movie the jacket remained largely mysterious, like the main character himself.
Texan Scott wrote:There are several different ways of thinking in terms of your choice of these jackets. Like CM said, you can think of it conceptually, as if Indy was a guy who actually lived in the 30's, and given the rough and tumble adventures he faced, what type of jacket could have used, or was best suited to him from that perspective? He would have needed a sturdy jacket that would have held up under many of these extreme conditions, yet was light weight enough to wear most anywhere, easy to carry, packable-mobile, on the go. The way this jacket was made, it was more of a leather covering, for say, chilly nights in the desert, when temps. drop rapidly from the extreme heat of the desert sun; or as protection from the hazards of the jungle, such as razor grass, poisonous plants, mosquitoes, pre-Off days, etc.

But there in lies the rub. This thread is not about what Jacket do you think Indy would be wearing as an adventurer in the 1930s. It's not about the practical aspects of it.

This thread is about what current run jacket out there is the most accurate representation of the jacket Indy wears in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It doesn't matter if it is durable or is lightweight or is accurate to the time period, etc, etc etc.

What jacket available to us today tickles our fancy towards the look of Indy in Raiders. The movie jacket is made for looks, not durability, not functionality, not even historically accurate.

As the original poster stated, " the look, drape and feel" not "real world application"
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Who said that? :P #-o

Any member is entitled to his own opinion and perspective on the matter, but yeah, it is about who currently has captured its own 'lightning in a bottle' or as closely as possible. This question could be closely linked with...if you had only one to choose from...?
Golden boy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Golden boy »

Tibor wrote: Now all that said, that does NOT take into account durability or price, real world factors that make a difference. But if you're trying to match what you see on screen, that's my list. :TOH:
So then shouldn't there be 3 more polls?
1 for durability
1 for cost
1 for which would Indy have chosen considering real world scenarios and adventures

then run them all together to make some kind of overall polling and grading scale??

jus sayin

*goes back to digging*

-j
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Try the first post. Which jacket in your opinion, looks the most like the film jacket?
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Out of all the jackets I've had, the Relic Hunter in grainy lamb is dead on like the opening scenes of Raiders in the jungle... the Hawaiian jacket.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

"Accurate" and price...go Todd. Better fit and variety of leather, go Wested Co "maker original" :TOH: .With Wested get either your exact size or size smaller if your going after Raiders jacket....Standard Raiders. Then there´s Hero (See the thread,I wont touch that with a 10 foot stick :x ) I´ve reasoned get custom made one if sleeves and backlength are an issue.They´re patient enough to make alterations; pockets and such, people see details differently. :-k .But the Bottomline is "do your research and then go to the field"
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I have actually owned one of each except the Magnoli, which I`ve seen in person, and a Steele &Jones, which I have in the works, so with regards to that, and taking into account what the poll is asking, I have to say....
Bill Kelso Relic Hunter all the way!
;)
Golden boy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Golden boy »

Texan Scott wrote:Try the first post. Which jacket in your opinion, looks the most like the film jacket?
Sadly
I have none of them... :cry:
So my opinion holds little water presently

that's actually what im trying to figure though...
an opinion
Which one will do me best, 8-[]

SA, durable, perfect fit, striated lamb that is the right color, good customer service.

opinion sways towards Kelso
I just want to know it will last me forever at $800+ U.S. :shock:
As I will have only one jacket.

cool :whip:

-j
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, if longevitiy is a big puchase point for you, I'm wearing my lambskin G&B Expo that dates from 2000-01, and it's still in great shape. I also own a G&B vegetable tanned goatskin from the same time, and it's in the same condition.

The Expo is the one I voted for, as it checks all those boxes for me and HAS the proven track record with years of use.

Regards !Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

The Kelso hasn`t been around long enough to verify its strength but, in my opinion, it does seem to be very well built and built to last. The Flightsuits HAS been around a looooong time and has definitely stood the test and come thru proudly. BUT considering everything else that surrounds the Kelso, I`d say that would be the route to go IF you have the funds. I know you stated that you want just one jacket but......well, any longtime gearhead will tell you, that aint gonna happen! :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

LOL! Amen to THAT, old friend!! :lol: :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

backstagejack wrote:
CM wrote:This seems to come up a lot.

Texan Scott wrote:There are several different ways of thinking in terms of your choice of these jackets. Like CM said, you can think of it conceptually, as if Indy was a guy who actually lived in the 30's, and given the rough and tumble adventures he faced, what type of jacket could have used, or was best suited to him from that perspective? He would have needed a sturdy jacket that would have held up under many of these extreme conditions, yet was light weight enough to wear most anywhere, easy to carry, packable-mobile, on the go. The way this jacket was made, it was more of a leather covering, for say, chilly nights in the desert, when temps. drop rapidly from the extreme heat of the desert sun; or as protection from the hazards of the jungle, such as razor grass, poisonous plants, mosquitoes, pre-Off days, etc.

But there in lies the rub. This thread is not about what Jacket do you think Indy would be wearing as an adventurer in the 1930s. It's not about the practical aspects of it.

This thread is about what current run jacket out there is the most accurate representation of the jacket Indy wears in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It doesn't matter if it is durable or is lightweight or is accurate to the time period, etc, etc etc.

What jacket available to us today tickles our fancy towards the look of Indy in Raiders. The movie jacket is made for looks, not durability, not functionality, not even historically accurate.

As the original poster stated, " the look, drape and feel" not "real world application"
Huh? What I read in this post is "what did I see on screen and therefore what jacket bests represents this." In the film we didn't really get a good look at the jacket. I got into this in 1981, before computers and screenshots so what I saw was an A2 style jacket that looked very tough and was probably goatskin. Didn't realize there were no knits until I saw the video a couple of years later. I've never seen Indy wearing a costume jacket. To me it was as I wrote above.