Wested's HERO jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by MARQ »

Wested jacket (old or new) and Pecard,refresh my memory,how does it affect the leather? Makes the jacket more softer,what..anything else?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

MARQ wrote:Wested jacket (old or new) and Pecard,refresh my memory,how does it affect the leather? Makes the jacket more softer,what..anything else?
Water proofs! Cleans and softens the hide! Makes it a bit darker, but this wears by with time. Can't think of much more, other then it works really well on any leather product -- boots, shoes, belts, holsters, whips, etc. Whatever leather product you can think of, it usually does the trick. W>
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Would the Pecard treatment help speed up the breaking in process on a goat hero? I.e. help it hang closer to the body and take on one's body shape?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Word is Lexol spray is better on goat than Pecards. The goat has smaller pores that the spray better penetrate than the Pecards cream/lotion. Not that Pecards is bad or will harm anything.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You can use a very VERY light (and I DO mean 'light') coat of Pecards Leather Cream on goatskin (it's really a jell, but contains less beeswax) and allow to soak in over night. Once soaked in, buff with a clean cotton rag (like a clean old teeshirt).

I've had success in that type application on my G&B Expo.

Regards! Michaelson
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Word is Lexol spray is better on goat than Pecards. The goat has smaller pores that the spray better penetrate than the Pecards cream/lotion. Not that Pecards is bad or will harm anything.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
+1 for Lexol.

Been using it on my jackets for decades. Word has it that the Smithsonian uses it (and at least one other) on their historic leathers.

It's locally available, super easy to apply (a thin coat using just my hands), and buffing is optional.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Thanks for the suggestions. But isn't Lexol the one that attracts flies?

Also, how effective is it with helping the jacket conform to one's body shape, as in to hang closer to the body?

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Satipo wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. But isn't Lexol the one that attracts flies?

Also, how effective is it with helping the jacket conform to one's body shape, as in to hang closer to the body?

you may want to check the todd jacket thread. I've just been doing a whole lot of entries about the same subject. Basically you're going to have to wet the jacket and let it break its pattern form. Then you're going to have to put in lots of lotion and hand rubbing. I used acetone to take a layer of finish off my todd jacket. Then I squirted at least 6 coats of Lexol liquid spray and let it soak in and dry. Took less than a day for coat. Then I went to the cream the cards and hand massage Justin. This makes the leather feel much stretched ear as you're massaging it in.. Then you gotta let it hang loosely on a hanger in the shape that you want it to conform to buy this time it's taken on a well-worn aged feel to it. That's because you have manually well worn it :-)
Last edited by RayROnline on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Satipo wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. But isn't Lexol the one that attracts flies?
Sorry, forgot to mention the absence of flies in my decades of using it. :D
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...drive fast enough, there are no flies, know what I'm sayin'...? :-k

If you have flies, it could just mean that you need a faster bike...? :P
Last edited by Texan Scott on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I believe you're thinking of Neatsfoot Oil. Anything 'natural' attracts bugs.

I have recommended Lexol for literally decades now, with the exception of the Pecards Leather Creme procedure mentioned above, but only do so because Letaps (British product) isn't available to us here in the States anymore. I prefer it over Lexol if given a choice, and forunately have a couple cans squirreled back that, when empty, will be a sad day. :(

Regard! Michaelson
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

2 things:

First, last post I said Picards spray...It was in fact Lexol spray then Picards cream. I have edited the post.

Also, I have been using Picards for several years myself on various leather products. Never any smell or bug attraction.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...and you won't, either. It's petroleum based, bees wax, and pH balanced....but we're rapidly dragging this into the 'gear care' section and away from the subject at hand....the Wested 'HERO' jacket. ;)

Regard! M
rayman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by rayman »

I got my shrunken lamb hero from Wested only a week and a half after ordering it custom. Its extremely light, far lighter than I anticipated. I'm used to a heavy cow leather jacket and this is about 1/10th the weight, which is brilliant because it will be good year-round.

As for the cut, I now notice what people mean when they say the hero is a bit odd-fitting, but its definitely the authentic ROTLA jacket with one minor exception; the collar is seemingly larger than the jacket(s) from the film, at least mine is. The collar looks much more like the one from TLC.

This doesnt bother me too much, but if you compare screen shots of any of the jackets from ROTLA, the length of the collar on the wested hero is longer. If I flipped up the collar it would cover half my face, which is a stark contrast to pictures where Ford has the collar flipped up in Raiders on the set.

Not a complaint, just a SA observation.

The shrunken lamb seems to be a very good style, I prefer it to the predistressed ( genuinely worn looks better than predistressed imo). I would have to say that the ROTLA jackets in the film have a looser and shinier complexion than the shrunken, but that feature can probably be achieved with some of the Picards/oil products mentioned above?

Should I bother buying product for a new jacket, or is it something that cant wait? Also will lamb get ruined in the rain/snow if I dont treat the jacket?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

That's great, Ray. Post some pics, let's have a look? :-k
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Texan Scott wrote:That's great, Ray. Post some pics, let's have a look? :-k
all that action was done to the TODDS jacket and since this is the Wested jacket thread I don't want to post those pictures here. But you will find some already posted on the todd jacket thread. And I'll get some better ones once the snow melts. Meanwhile I'm considering doing this to my Crisp lamb Weston because it is so incredibly stiff.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

rayman wrote:I got my shrunken lamb hero from Wested only a week and a half after ordering it custom. Its extremely light, far lighter than I anticipated. I'm used to a heavy cow leather jacket and this is about 1/10th the weight, which is brilliant because it will be good year-round.

As for the cut, I now notice what people mean when they say the hero is a bit odd-fitting, but its definitely the authentic ROTLA jacket with one minor exception; the collar is seemingly larger than the jacket(s) from the film, at least mine is. The collar looks much more like the one from TLC.

This doesnt bother me too much, but if you compare screen shots of any of the jackets from ROTLA, the length of the collar on the wested hero is longer. If I flipped up the collar it would cover half my face, which is a stark contrast to pictures where Ford has the collar flipped up in Raiders on the set.

Not a complaint, just a SA observation.

The shrunken lamb seems to be a very good style, I prefer it to the predistressed ( genuinely worn looks better than predistressed imo). I would have to say that the ROTLA jackets in the film have a looser and shinier complexion than the shrunken, but that feature can probably be achieved with some of the Picards/oil products mentioned above?

Post some pics.

Should I bother buying product for a new jacket, or is it something that cant wait? Also will lamb get ruined in the rain/snow if I dont treat the jacket?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

@Rayman.

I have one in the shrunken lamb. Apart from it's slightly unusual habit of looking very different in artificial light compared to daylight, I love it.

It did start a little stiff and the surface looked a little flat. This was remedied by giving the whole jacket a good hot water shower and then wearing the heck out of it. Lots of interesting grain has popped out and it has gained a little surface shine. The parts of the jacket that get the most flex become the softest, naturally, and some parts of this jacket are now the proverbial 'butter' soft.

I have not used any dressing on it at all. I really don't feel it needs it.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Here is my Hero in Dark Brown Lambskin ( perfect for South Texas weather) as I diddled around outside with my girls....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... cl1e6w.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hat is a Steele& Jones Raiders.....
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I have a db lamb Hero, also. It is a fine jacket. Thin and really light weight for milder temps for sure. With the weather we've been having....well, I've benched it for awhile! Sitting this one out....
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Gorak wrote:Here is my Hero in Dark Brown Lambskin ( perfect for South Texas weather) as I diddled around outside with my girls....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... cl1e6w.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hat is a Steele& Jones Raiders.....
That looks Fantastic, G! I totally want one. :clap:
Did you order any special alterations or are those the dimensions I could expect off the proverbial rack?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I bought this one off Wested's clearance section some time back. Size was just right and the price was even better...it was sitting there for a while so almost like it was just waiting for me. I kept ignoring it but,what can i say, i love me a Wested.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Gorak wrote:I bought this one off Wested's clearance section some time back. Size was just right and the price was even better...it was sitting there for a while so almost like it was just waiting for me. I kept ignoring it but,what can i say, i love me a Wested.
LUCKY Man!!!
Gorak, did you get my PM? I can't tell if it's working...

Anyone, everyone...what is the difference between the Hero and the Special Hero? I don't see anything different but the price on Westeds page.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

There is none, Ray, other than the wording. Its just the way he worded it. The "Hero" pattern is the same, the only difference is that with what he calls the "Special Indy Hero" you have a choice of 6 different leathers. The other Hero is SL, and due to its unique nature, tanning process, etc., it is more expensive. Same pattern though. When this offering first came out about 3 years ago, it was "special". The difference is you pay a bit more for SL: 215 vs. 195. Round that up to greenbacks.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Texan Scott wrote:There is none, Ray, other than the wording. Its just the way he worded it. The "Hero" pattern is the same, the only difference is that with what he calls the "Special Indy Hero" you have a choice of 6 different leathers. The other Hero is SL, and due to its unique nature, tanning process, etc., it is more expensive. Same pattern though. When this offering first came out about 3 years ago, it was "special". The difference is you pay a bit more for SL: 215 vs. 195. Round that up to greenbacks.
Thanks, TS :tup: , I just emailed an inquiry about the Hero in Dark Brown Lambskin. (and attached Gorak's pic for reference to be SURE) Let's see whats available...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

von Peter is your best source if you can reach him.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

WOW, I emailed the general address last night (East Coast US) and heard back from Gemma today. She checked stock and put the Dark Brown Lambskin back on the options list at the web site!

That's the good news AND the bad news. "Bad" because I just ordered one and spent a chunk of money I hadn't planned on. (Well maybe I did subconsciously) I'll probably end up selling my BK down the road because of this. I asked for the satin sleeves (my fav) and the smaller collar. Also that they keep an eye out for similar grain as I like the Raiders Idol scene look. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

I should say thanks to all you posters here who have helped me understand the Wested measuring, fitting, and buying process, without whom I still would have not taken this step.
Last edited by RayROnline on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Wested site in standard Raiders jacket has new images on it.Blasted anyhow..it´s a size 44,anybody who owns the same jacket in standard give some measurements of the jacket-please! :-k =P~
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

If I were in the market for a Wested, I'd probably choose a leather with some type of grain/character to it. It adds to the look. To that end, some to consider: washed lamb or goat, shrunken lamb. KT's LC repro has me leaning to the worn look hide, which is cow. Then pattern. If you are not for the quirks of the Hero, then there is the trusty RoLA, or you can make a hybrid jacket, and incorporate the fit of the RoLA with the features of the Hero. Things to consider. :-k
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Thanks for the input,I really like the standard,I´m not so in for the Hero,too much quirks ;-) That reminds me,does Wested still make`em in Long sizes.I´ve got a size-chart from way back and according it,44 Long is fitting,although the back could be 27"-26" long as it says 27.5" inches. Oh yes,I´d like to know the shoulder factor (from neck to seam) is it same as the Hero?
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Texan Scott wrote:I thought you might like to see the differences in skins on each of these Hero jackets. Pictured is the dark brown thin lambskin (Tibor special), shrunken lamb, dark brown goat and pre-distressed hide. I'll let you decide which one(s) look most authentic:

Dark Brown (thin) lambskin

Shrunken Lamb

Dark Brown Goat

Pre-distressed Hide

*I will be selling this lighter weight, pre-distressed Hero, since I have received a LC jacket in copper novapelle. PM if interested.

Each one has its own unique qualities. The dark brown lamb is very light weight, and reminiscent of the old Todd's Std's. Shrunken lamb features veg. tanned, while the dark goatskin is light weight and durable, a near perfect leather for this type of jacket if you like the color; sleeves were modified for a wider diameter. Pre-D marks easy and is also light weight for a cowhide jacket.
This is one great post. All shots duplicating lighting and body position so we can make a reasonable comparison. But most of all, the pics are still here. Nothing more frustrating than to find a post with "Picture No Longer Available". ](*,) I just ran into a few of those on here that are from late last year.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Fire away with questions if you want, but one thing that is deceptive is the dark brown lamb Hero. It is much thinner in person than it looks in that photo.

My favorite of the lot is the db goat. That one is a keeper. Occasionally, I have thought of selling the db lamb, but it is a good fit, and looks good in photos.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Texan Scott wrote:If I were in the market for a Wested, I'd probably choose a leather with some type of grain/character to it. It adds to the look. To that end, some to consider: washed lamb or goat, shrunken lamb. KT's LC repro has me leaning to the worn look hide, which is cow. Then pattern. If you are not for the quirks of the Hero, then there is the trusty RoLA, or you can make a hybrid jacket, and incorporate the fit of the RoLA with the features of the Hero. Things to consider. :-k
This should be interesting, TS. It's going on 2 weeks since my order now. I picked the Hero in Dark Brown Lamb (which Gemma put back up at my request =). I also asked for the smaller collar plus I mentioned I am looking at the opening Idol Chase scene in Raiders as my reference. Ford's jacket seem lightweight, it flows readily and moves with him, etc. I mentioned to her that it would be great if the lamb had some grain or striations (like you mentioned)...although it is not one of the options.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. I really like the "quirks" of the Hero and want something light enough to wear around, not just to keep warm. Also, as afraid as I was about communication and customer service (based on stories here that it is either great or non-existent) I am very happy. I got 3 immediate reply's within 1 business-day.

After checking the fit, I already know exactly how I am going to break it in, based on the extensive experiments I mentioned in the TODDS jacket thread.

I'm a US customer, so I don't know when to expect arrival, but I will keep you posted.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Texan Scott wrote:Fire away with questions if you want, but one thing that is deceptive is the dark brown lamb Hero. It is much thinner in person than it looks in that photo.

My favorite of the lot is the db goat. That one is a keeper. Occasionally, I have thought of selling the db lamb, but it is a good fit, and looks good in photos.
One question does come to mind. Do you know what tanning method TODDS and Wested (DBL Hero) use?
Are they the same? The answer could affect my breaking-in technique. :-k (OK, 2 questions)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Wested's DBL is chrome tanned.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The opening sequence has two possibilities. All the scenes filmed outside would be the Hawaii jacket. But all the inside the temple scenes would be the main Hero jacket. Take a look at the idol grab stills, and you can see the striations visible on the upper right panel.

To me, the only drawback to the db lamb, is that it is like smooth fashion leather, but that is not to say that they can't source some grain. I would like to see your jacket when it arrives. Please post some pics. ;)

In talking with todd's, their jackets are chromium tanned also, not veg, according to Todd.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Not strictly Wested's Hero Jacket related, but just FYI Gemma is no longer working at Wested.

Posted on their Facebook page: "We have some sad news today, the lovely Gemma is leaving us due to relocating. We wish her all the best with the future and will truly miss her dearly at Wested Leather - as I'm sure all of you will too."
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Duck9000 wrote:Not strictly Wested's Hero Jacket related, but just FYI Gemma is no longer working at Wested.

Posted on their Facebook page: "We have some sad news today, the lovely Gemma is leaving us due to relocating. We wish her all the best with the future and will truly miss her dearly at Wested Leather - as I'm sure all of you will too."
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm glad I got my order in while she was still there. It was a pleasure working with her. :tup: I have sent a brief bon voyage note to her at the customer service address wested@wested.com
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Happy Valentines Day to ME. My Hero arrived today.

Great turn around. I paid on Jan. 31, arrived Feb 14 in the US!

As a refresher, I ordered a Dark Lamb Hero. I am very impressed. First it smells like the fine leather you smell at the Furniture store (I'm talking Natuzzi). It is as soft as my Kelso, what a pleasant surprise. Someone previously compared this to an older version of todds...the smooth one. I'll say the weight is very similar, but the leather is much nicer. (BTW, I love the latest Todds).

I wanted light weight, this is just right and it doesn't feel cheep or costume like. The construction is very well done and it is exactly to my specs. And the color? Love it.

But what gear head can be completely happy, right? the straps in back are very long (I may double them back) and If I had it to order today, I would add about 1/2" to the sleeves. Mind you, It fits just right, but I'm of the school of Indy sleeves should run a bit long. But that's just nit-picking and has nothing to do with Wested Co.

Also, the customer service was magnificent, from the email inquiry, to the order, to the product, to delivery!

The flow:

The cool inscription

And inquiring minds want to know: almost no grain or lines (as expected)

I will soon begin to add "character" molding the collar. soaking it to conform to my physique like it's been around, etc. It already has loads of character in the cut and the movement of the leather.

(photos taken at night indoors, overhead light + flash on Razr MAXX - for your color reference)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

There are certain jackets that you just sort of take to, and this is one. Kinda 'wet look' Indy, but I've always liked the thinness of the leather, that seemingly leather wind breaker feel, and that brought me back around to Todd's first few runs of jackets. Undoubtedly, due to the thinness and pattern, you get that nice vertical pleating effect. Yeah, the leather is a quality dawg.

Nice new label on that one! ;) :tup:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks great. Don't know that we have seen many dark brown lamb Hero jackets here. I have a Wested standard Raiders from '06 in dark brown lamb. Probably my most worn jacket. It's light enough to take with me on the go just about anywhere.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Superb puchase, RayONline-
Those small concerns of yours come along with ordering clothing online......it is always better to go in and try stuff on. I too love the new tags......I bought my Wested Hero DBL in the clearance section of Wested and for some reason, it didnt have that tag in it but I had it in another Wested so I removed it from the other jacket and sewed it right under the inside pocket. Dont know what it is but it is just a really cool inscription to have on these particuler jackets. I'm sure once you add your personal touches to it, you are going to be very pleasantly surprised. Most of the new shine will dimish but it will have a slight glint, much like the jacket looks inside the Peruvian Temple IMO. keep me updated on how you find the "lightweightness" . I'm telling you right now, this is the best jacket own that disappears on you and you will forget you are wearing it. Looks great and so glad you had a pleasant experience with Wested. I always have and enjoy Wested getting love. :tup: :tup: congrats on the cool jacket. You are gonna love it even more as you wear it along....... \:D/
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Gorak wrote:Superb puchase, RayONline-
Those small concerns of yours come along with ordering clothing online......it is always better to go in and try stuff on. I too love the new tags......I bought my Wested Hero DBL in the clearance section of Wested and for some reason, it didnt have that tag in it but I had it in another Wested so I removed it from the other jacket and sewed it right under the inside pocket. Dont know what it is but it is just a really cool inscription to have on these particuler jackets. I'm sure once you add your personal touches to it, you are going to be very pleasantly surprised. Most of the new shine will dimish but it will have a slight glint, much like the jacket looks inside the Peruvian Temple IMO. keep me updated on how you find the "lightweightness" . I'm telling you right now, this is the best jacket own that disappears on you and you will forget you are wearing it. Looks great and so glad you had a pleasant experience with Wested. I always have and enjoy Wested getting love. :tup: :tup: congrats on the cool jacket. You are gonna love it even more as you wear it along....... \:D/
I know what you mean, it is soo comfortable. I finally took a measuring tape to it and it turns out Wested did make some errors in sleeve length and body. I emailed them about it and should hear back...probably Monday. I'm going to get this exactly right because it is such a great jacket and I want to have it for a long time. Perhaps I'll end up selling this brand new one in the Bazaar, we'll have to see what Wested suggests as a follow up.

I'm really glad I ordered this, I have to thank you for your insights and advice. It was spot on.
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

I just received my new Hero in the mail, not a half hour ago.

I had one made in 2009 (which is currently in the Bazaar), before the Hero jacket was available from Wested. I still have it and I'm able to compare the two.

:?

The stitching on the new one (Hero, shrunken lamb) isn't anywhere near as tight and close together. You can tell that along a single seam, the distance and separations between each stitch are much tighter together in my old jacket, in comparison to the Hero. Every seam is like this. Do you think that's because the goat is tougher and requires a stronger seam? I'm concerned about wear and tear.

Also, the interior lining (which is a minor gripe), has a purple hue to it, instead of the deep chocolate brown. I;m not kidding. It's definitely got a purple hue to it.

I had also asked Gemma for a few customizations to be done to this new jacket, to match what I had done the last time. She said they'd do them without extra charge, just like last time. Only this time, they didn't do ANY of them.

I asked for a brass zipper and it arrived zinc/silver. This bothers me, because the zipper and buckles are different colors now.

I asked for smaller 7" x 6" pockets and it arrived with 7 3/4" x 6 1/2" (L x W). I believe the smaller pockets are more screen accurate to the Raiders jacket.

I also asked for the "X box" stitch and it arrived with the "K stitch" on the straps. The "X" is how the Raiders jacket was done.

I dunno'... I think they grabbed a stock jacket off the rack and threw it in a bag. :?
Last edited by EchoSix on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

You should contact rebecca, tell her it's not what you ordered and she should suggest a return. That's the response that I just received today regarding a measurement error.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

EchoSix wrote:I just received my new Hero in the mail, not a half hour ago.

I had one made in 2009 (which is currently in the Bazaar), before the Hero jacket was available from Wested. I still have it and I'm able to compare the two.

:?

The stitching on the new one (Hero, shrunken lamb) isn't anywhere near as tight and close together. You can tell that along a single seam, the distance and separations between each stitch are much tighter together in my old jacket, in comparison to the Hero. Every seam is like this. Do you think that's because the goat is tougher and requires a stronger seam? I'm concerned about wear and tear.

Also, the interior lining (which is a minor gripe), has a purple hue to it, instead of the deep chocolate brown. I;m not kidding. It's definitely got a purple hue to it.

I had also asked Gemma for a few customizations to be done to this new jacket, to match what I had done the last time. She said they'd do them without extra charge, just like last time. Only this time, they didn't do ANY of them.

I asked for a brass zipper and it arrived zinc/silver. This bothers me, because the zipper and buckles are different colors now.

I asked for smaller 7" x 6" pockets and it arrived with 7 3/4" x 6 1/2" (L x W). I believe the smaller pockets are more screen accurate to the Raiders jacket.

I also asked for the "X box" stitch and it arrived with the "K stitch" on the straps. The "X" is how the Raiders jacket was done.

I dunno'... I think they grabbed a stock jacket off the rack and threw it in a bag. :?

Silver zip and K box stitch is correct for the hero.

But send it back if that's not what you want. I think it gets confusing if you start pulling it back from what is set as the standard.
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

It actually depends on what part of the film you're looking at.

A long while ago, there was once a thread that got down it the details, scene by scene, pretty closely. I only have this link saved in my files, from another site...

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6

It shows a brass zipper and the "X" stitch, as well as aluminum and "K" stitch.

It depends on the scene and the jacket in reference.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

EchoSix wrote:It actually depends on what part of the film you're looking at.

A long while ago, there was once a thread that got down it the details, scene by scene, pretty closely. I only have this link saved in my files, from another site...

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6

It shows a brass zipper and the "X" stitch, as well as aluminum and "K" stitch.

It depends on the scene and the jacket in reference.
I think the brass was a trick of the light and the x was a misread of the image.

I think it's pretty much been agreed that the zipper was silver and the box stitch was a k.
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

Well, I know for a fact that two COW members did an enormous amount of reseach on the details, and both of them concluded that there was an "X" stitch used. Agent 5 and Holt had a lot of time spent researching.

Ton Nowack's famous Raiders jackets, which were copied from a screen used jacket, were replicated with an "X" stitch.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34025&start=450
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Lol. Been there, seen that.

The Nowak proto changed a lot in later iterations. Pockets, flaps, K box stitch.

I've not been a supporter of the X box theory since I had a jacket with one a long time ago. It just does not look right. And I find no image that supports it.

Look me up, I've been round this block a few times.