KotCS Backpack (UPDATED thread on Germany Army Rucksack!)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indy506
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy506 »

borntorun97 wrote:
I found a custom leather shop online that will custom make the tags to sew onto the rucksacks. The website is called Starz Custom Leather & More, LLC The business is run by a lady named Betty "Boop" Ford. I'm having her make a patch with my initials 'SH', and she is only charging $10 + $1 s/h, which is a steal. She just finished and dropped it in the mail today. I'll post pics when I get it, and also when it's sewn on my new rucksack.

Thanks again to the information provided here by lantzn with detailed information on sizing and where the holes should be located.

If you drop her an email, let her know Steve pointed you in her direction.
This info is from this thread a page back.

Michael :TOH:

Thank you.
Indy506
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy506 »

Okay, so I ordered two of these from Betty Boop and I have to say I'm not too impressed with what I received. Just don't like the look of it. Is there anyone else that might make some that are closer to SA? Or, has an idea to improve on these?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KotCS Backpack (UPDATED thread on Germany Army Rucksack!

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Hm, that doesn't look much like the one posted by borntorun97. The letter stamping is the same, but the color is totally different. In terms of getting it more SA, I'd start with coloring either through paints or dyes to get is more of the green color you seen in the other patches.

Based on other bags posted I'd say try to get the lettering to match the color of your bag as close as possible with the rest of the patch to match the leather of the straps.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

Just got my bag back from another member who made me a label and it's awesome. I will try to post some picture later. Also got a call from Billings Army Surplus that they got a new shipment of bags in and they look really good. I would get the early ones as I got 2 from them. One was great, the other I sent back because it was horrible. Get them while they are hot.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I just finished this label for my own MFH bag. I used the color of the straps as the background and the color of the canvas for the letters. This bag is so well built.

I'm heading to Oregon Leather company to see if I can find some pre-painted (olive drab) leather for making the long straps. I like how the ones I made for my Mil-Tec bag came out but the painted layers takes such a long time to do right so pre-painted leather should speed the process up.

Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Tundrarider's travelling backpack:

At Pixar with my two sons in the background

On the circular driveway in front of the main house at Skywalker Ranch

In the city of Seoul South Korea

Cheers as always mate.

MARK
Indy506
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy506 »

This might have already been mentioned, but I'm watching YIJ Spring Break 1916 and he's carrying this backpack. I wonder if it's just a coincidence?
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Indy506 wrote:This might have already been mentioned, but I'm watching YIJ Spring Break 1916 and he's carrying this backpack. I wonder if it's just a coincidence?
You sure it's the same? The IJ4 bag is a WWII bag and while there are things in the IJ world that don't always line up chronologically that quite a span.
Indy506
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy506 »

I could be wrong, but it shows the bag with a wool blanket rolled up under the flap. I can't find any screen shots of it, but if it isn't then it's really close.
Indy506
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy506 »

I pulled these from watching it on YouTube. Looks very close to me if not the same style bag.

lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I took a closer look at a frame by frame of the bag and it sure does look like the same bag. It even has the really long arm straps like the one in Indy 4. Those long straps are not stock. I made a pair for my Indy 4 bag after seeing others did th same. The long straps allow you to carry the bag lower on your back when carrying it by one strap. I wonder if this was a carry over to link things up in Indy 4. They made a number of references in Indy 4 to the YIJ days.

515D57C9-5B15-4673-B669-8720A354A6FF.jpeg
F0CF9FC3-058B-4801-9B8E-5CEA6762BE97.jpeg
Last edited by lantzn on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indy506
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy506 »

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Now THAT is a cool bit of Indy Gear continuity. Well-done spotting that, 506! :clap:

Mark, your access to exotic locales never ceases to amaze. :TOH: Has any of your Indy KOTCS artwork included the rucksack?

:TOH: Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Tundrarider wrote:
KramStaar wrote:Tundrarider's travelling backpack:
Great pics, Mark!!! \:D/

Hopefully the bag is holding up well under all of your real world adventures!!! In the South Korea photo, the bag sure looks "worn in!"

I'm really touched that the rucksack has become such a personal part of your life and travels! :H:

Thank you for sharing the pics!

Its a terrific and a very useful travel companion Michael and its a deeply treasured item - a bit like my Jacket - they both go with me everywhere.

Cheers for making it available mate.
Dr. Nebraska S. wrote:
Mark, your access to exotic locales never ceases to amaze. :TOH: Has any of your Indy KOTCS artwork included the rucksack?

:TOH: Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.
Cheers Doc. Its only just come back from the African bush as well so its adventures continue but I doubt my 'exotic locales' could come close to anything you've been to!
In answer to your question regarding the Ruck, I haven't done a KTOCS piece for a very long while now, but should the opportunity arise, I will definitely include it in one of my scribbles..

Cheers all..

MARK
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

lantzn wrote:I wonder if this was a carry over to link things up in Indy 4. They made a number of references in Indy 4 to the YIJ days.
That's a good theory. Also, after arriving in Peru, in one of the most prominent CS scenes where Indy is carrying the backpack, he tells Mutt that he rode with Pancho Villa...which is the episode Young Indy is carrying what appears to be the same type of backpack. Coincidence?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

ijq8 wrote:
lantzn wrote:I wonder if this was a carry over to link things up in Indy 4. They made a number of references in Indy 4 to the YIJ days.
That's a good theory. Also, after arriving in Peru, in one of the most prominent CS scenes where Indy is carrying the backpack, he tells Mutt that he rode with Pancho Villa...which is the episode Young Indy is carrying what appears to be the same type of backpack. Coincidence?
Well...I will say this, if Lucas, Spielburg, writers, et. all, did this deliberately, then two thumbs up for continuity with the series! This is one of those issues that is fun to ponder. It could have been an accidental issue, or quite intentional -- I would hope for the later, as it would at least, give ''CS'' a few more positive votes! Great find! W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Hmm, great catch. Seeing as the rucksack isn't really used in CS (the skull itself is hauled around in the burlap sack most of the movie), it makes more sense that there was an effort to connect the bag to the YIJC, especially since the series was referenced in the movie.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I just finished adding the first pair of long straps to one of two backpacks I'm doing for a member. I also made the "HJ" labels for them. I make the straps longer so they can adjust to different size people. They can easily be shortened by cutting off the tip of the strap and use it to pencil in a line where you want to shorten to. I use a utility knife to cut my leather. The straps have two coats each of white and green paint and one coat of satin sealer. After distressing I dirty it up with some brown shoe wax.

More photos here.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 590&type=3
Last edited by lantzn on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Was just watching Duck Dynasty and Si's bag looked oddly familiar. Not sure if its the exact bag but looks pretty darn close. Has the top cover held down by leather straps with the buckles....bottom of the bag is leather reinforced. Looks pretty close

lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

The MFH Reproduction bags have changed color

Post by lantzn »

Just a big heads up, I received a customer's MFH bag from the UK to install long straps and an HJ label and the color is VERY different from the one I received a couple years ago. The photo on the site and mine are both a brownish olive color while the new bag is a greener olive. The quality and appearance of the construction are the same, very outstanding. I'll be posting some comparison photos a little later.

http://www.military1st.co.uk/30303b-ger ... olive.html

photos here;
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 590&type=3
Last edited by lantzn on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

I guess that bag would be mine lol was indys bag closer to the green or brown ?
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

looks brown to me hopefully the green still looks good
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I would say the older browner color better matches the films bag especially if it were sun bleached. But green being my favorite color I think the green color they chose is very nice looking. The canvas material of both bags is a lot heavier then used in original bags and has a nicer weave.
If you are still partial to the browner color you could check with the company to see if they still have it in stock.

I posted photos above of my bag and a customers.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Doesnt match the film bag thats for sure but I really like that green color! I say proceed as planned cant wait to get it !
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Just finished these.

This is the new MFH bag in green canvas.
643C769E-EB8A-406F-83C0-19DBC105B042.jpeg
69A631AA-5723-4B07-B900-289DF930C66D.jpeg
Last edited by lantzn on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Snapped a pic of the bag in action today looks great. Me and Lantz were discussing how my green color bag could still be considered accurate. It was discovered that in the Young Indy television series that the same type of bag was used in the show; however this bag was green. I Have come to the conclusion that Raiders Indy went back and got his bag from his cousin and perhaps started using it in his travels. And over time the bag slowly got sun bleached and turned into the Khaki color we see in Indy 4. So thats my rationalization hah.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I just had a new customer order an MFH bag from this company. I'll let you know if it is the brown or green version when it arrives.

http://www.camooutdoor.com/mfh-bundeswe ... -knapsack/
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

lantzn wrote:I just had a new customer order an MFH bag from this company. I'll let you know if it is the brown or green version when it arrives.

http://www.camooutdoor.com/mfh-bundeswe ... -knapsack/
Paypal screws ya on the currency exchange so it was 54 USD, I was expecting 50.50 but oh well still not bad..a little better then 45 pounds from Military1st...as long as all works well with the company.

Getting super stoked, just still can't stop laughing that it's first trip will be right back to your area....but then Boston and new york and then Ecuador next year.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: The MFH Reproduction bags have changed color

Post by backstagejack »

lantzn wrote:Just a big heads up, I received a customer's MFH bag from the UK to install long straps and an HJ label and the color is VERY different from the one I received a couple years ago. The photo on the site and mine are both a brownish olive color while the new bag is a greener olive. The quality and appearance of the construction are the same, very outstanding. I'll be posting some comparison photos a little later.

http://www.military1st.co.uk/30303b-ger ... olive.html

LARGER photos here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35223822@N ... 479842133/

Even though this one was more olive, etc I just wanted one. Had a hard time finding one in the US and with some of the other replica vendors and just said "F$@K it".

I look forward to owning one of these and maybe adding on the longer straps. I'm not too concerned either way. When it comes to Indy gear, I love the close enoughs almost as much as the perfects. After all, Indy's gear was suited to him, whereas not all the gear is suited to us.
Add to that that Indy's gear is always based on actual gear and or tweaked a tiny bit to suit the movies. I've always wondered what Indy would look lik with actual surplus gear, and period hats, instead of custom made shirts, pants, jacket, dimernsionally cut brim, etc. So, having a german rucksack without the custom long straps or HJ label does not bother me.

Plus, I'm doing some vintage 1950's "Beat" pics on the Railroad and some other places in the near future and this pack will do well as long as add to my indygear....
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Backstagejack at first I wanted long straps on my bag because that's what was in the film. But after adding them I realize how much more practical they are especially if you have long arms like I do. Even with the original straps pulled out to their last strap hole, I had a heck of a time getting my arms in. The bag now is just easier to slip on and sits lower on my back. That might be why it was altered for Ford.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

lantzn wrote:Backstagejack at first I wanted long straps on my bag because that's what was in the film. But after adding them I realize how much more practical they are especially if you have long arms like I do. Even with the original straps pulled out to their last strap hole, I had a heck of a time getting my arms in. The bag now is just easier to slip on and sits lower on my back. That might be why it was altered for Ford.
True, and it's highly possible I'll want that in the end as well..... I do like the look of the longer straps.

I do look forward to having one of these babies either way. With my up coming nuptials, I am gaining a lot of family in England, Denmark and Bali so I'm planning on a lot more travel in my future.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Wow, fast service. They've already shipped the pack that I bought last night.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Yes a few of us who live in the states that bought from military1st had our bad within the week. I was blown away.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

lantzn wrote:Yes a few of us who live in the states that bought from military1st had our bad within the week. I was blown away.
Yeah, it said 5-7 business days through Royal Mail.... I wasn't sure if that was specific towards England or not... here's hoping!

Still, that's amazing customer service to have it sent so quickly.
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

backstagejack wrote:
lantzn wrote:Yes a few of us who live in the states that bought from military1st had our bad within the week. I was blown away.
Yeah, it said 5-7 business days through Royal Mail.... I wasn't sure if that was specific towards England or not... here's hoping!

Still, that's amazing customer service to have it sent so quickly.
I just ordered mine from caomoutdoor.com in Ireland and in took 11 business days iirc to get to Washington state, but was also about $25 cheaper then military1st.
Geekdadd
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Geekdadd »

For me it turned out I actually already had one of these! I picked it up a few years before KotCS and I used it for a while as my everyday carry work bag, then it sat. Got it one of the local surplus stores here. It has the manufacturer mark inside with a 1984 date on it, and where the HJ name plate should go is the soldiers name written in pen, though its hard to see unless it's right in your hand.

It took me a few viewings before it clicked with me that I had the same bag sitting in my basement!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Bag just came in. Yes, wow, is it ever green. But I'm not too caring. I like it for the price and it's very comfy to wear. I can't wait to use it in the field. Taking a trip to Florida in a few week and probably gonna use this baby.

Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Camping tonight. 3 mile hike and quick over nighter. Seemed perfect opportunity to use my sons pack that he found at a yard sale for 25¢!!!!Image
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Hollowpond wrote:Camping tonight. 3 mile hike and quick over nighter. Seemed perfect opportunity to use my sons pack that he found at a yard sale for 25¢!!!!
That's a beauty there. I like the browner color of that bag.
GeordieIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GeordieIndy »

I've got one of these up in the Cairo Bazaar if anyone is interested!
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

SO I used the "search" function and found this thread. I see lots of LINKS but most of them are outdated. SO does anyone have a LINK to the rucksack that everyone seems to agree on??
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

youngjedi71 wrote:SO I used the "search" function and found this thread. I see lots of LINKS but most of them are outdated. SO does anyone have a LINK to the rucksack that everyone seems to agree on??
I've handled a LOT of these bags and the MFH brand is by far the best built one. Everything is heavy duty. The last few I added labels and long straps to were green which is very nice. The earlier ones were more brown. Take a look at the comparison pick I've posted in this thread and my label thread.

MFH bag
http://www.military1st.co.uk/30303b-ger ... olive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

lantzn wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:SO I used the "search" function and found this thread. I see lots of LINKS but most of them are outdated. SO does anyone have a LINK to the rucksack that everyone seems to agree on??
I've handled a LOT of these bags and the MFH brand is by far the best built one. Everything is heavy duty. The last few I added labels and long straps to were green which is very nice. The earlier ones were more brown. Take a look at the comparison pick I've posted in this thread and my label thread.

MFH bag
http://www.military1st.co.uk/30303b-ger ... olive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks..what is the price in USA? Also will there be a charge when its delivered like my wested jacket?? Thanks
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

lantzn wrote:

MFH bag
yeah, it is a VERY nice bag and couldn't be happier with the straps lantzn added...just be wary of who you get it from, shpping took 2 weeks for mine but takes 5 days for others ( I did use the cheapest place I could find)
Pygar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Pygar »

I've given up hope that those guys will ever restock- any current sources around anywhere? If I do find it I'll have to look into longer straps...

While I am posting, not worth a second thread... I recently got a vintage canteen just like the one in Secrets of the Incas. The 30 mm. safety orange strapping must be replaced. I need a source of cotton webbing- I can only find this in one British webpage, for a business apparently defunct- email got no reply. Mirro used a very distinctive weave- looked like chains lying next to each other- but they are long gone and I just hope to match color and width without using (ugh!) nylon.

Probably best to pm me about the straps rather than divert this thread further... TIA for any help!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I've just emailed the manufacturer and retailer both on the status of the MFH bag. I'll post the replies when I receive them.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Tundrarider wrote:Hey Lantz! :D

The authentic bags are stamped with manufacturers name and date on the inside back, inside the inner pocket. Does MFH replicate this stamp in their reproductions, like Magnoli does in his repro Mark VII bags?

Thanks!

Michael I looked throughout both my MFH and Mil-Tec bags and do not see any marks. Who else is making these reproduction bags? What does the markings look like in your original rucksack?
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Tundrarider wrote:
Original vintage rucksack.

There's some sort of serial number, followed by the date? (11/84)

Then, "Limburger Lederwarenfabrik"

I've created rubber stamps for auto restoration to add back original markings and text to parts. I just scan the characters and convert them to black and white artwork in Illustrator. The rubber stamp company creates a stamp from the art. Then just paint a then layer of paint, or dye in this case, onto a flat surface and stamp the paint and then the bag. By spreading out a very thin layer of paint first and stamping that you don't get the large overflow of paint on the edges of the characters which end up smudging on the final product.
How big of an area do all these letters fit in?
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

MFH Bag availability

Post by lantzn »

Looks like early 2015 for MFH bag availability.

On Dec 14, 2014, at 11:20 PM,
Lisa Fuchs <lisa.fuchs@max-fuchs.de> wrote:

Helllo,

This rucksack will be available beginning next year. Are you from the UK? If yes, I would recommend you MMG Trading - Military 1st. http://www.military1st.co.uk/30303b-ger ... olive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Lisa Fuchs

MAX FUCHS AG
Industriestrasse 1
94078 Freyung
Germany
Tel ++49 (0) 8551-9620-0
Fax ++49 (0) 8551-9620-15
Email: lisa.fuchs@max-fuchs.de
Internet: http://www.max-fuchs.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vorstand: Max Fuchs, Christoph Maier
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Karl Fuchs
Sitz: Freyung
Ust.Id.Nr.: DE264523425
Steuer-Nr.: 153/120/54660
Registergericht: Passau, HRB 7607

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Lantz
Gesendet: Sonntag, 14. Dezember 2014 02:06
An: Lisa Fuchs
Betreff: Rucksack available?

Hello a bunch of us Indiana Jones fans have been waiting patiently for this backpack to be available again. Can you let us know when and whom will be stocking it?

http://www.max-fuchs.de/cgi-bin/iboshop ... 30,,30303B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---------------------------
Lantz
Pygar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Pygar »

Many thanks!

I figure an Indy backpack deserves period camping gear, so... Just got a (WWI) Model of 1916 bacon can and a (WWI) condiment tin (holds 3 days coffee in one end, three days sugar in the other, and a cap *in* one cap to hold the salt ration). I wish I knew a place that does hot tin dipping- I've cleaned and sandblocked them down to good gray metal. The sort of thing any Indy type would have on him in that era...