Anyone else bothered by all the cowboy comments?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:Well, at least YOUR received 'cowboy' comments are well deserved, Chris! :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Im your Huckleberry!

But it never ceases to give me a smile when I walk into The Gun Shop (actual name) where I do all my business and am greeted with a "Dr Jones" or "Ahh gutten tag Herr Jones". It just never gets old. The guy who works there is a good friend of mine who is a MAJOR sci fi nut and Indy/Star Wars fan. Similar taste in hats too. It's always a good time. Especially because the best wings in town are less than 2 miles down the road. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Anyone else bothered by all the cowboy comments?

Post by Michaelson »

ChrisMD wrote: Especially because the best wings in town are less than 2 miles down the road. :)
A true 'win-win' in anyone's book! :M: :tup:

Regards! M
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

I used to get "cowboy" comments while wearing one of my fedoras. The only places I never did were when I lived in Italy--they KNOW fedoras, when I traveled Europe (same thing) and now while retired in Texas--they KNOW cowboy hats...lol.

But, yes--it used to bother me. It just seemed like they were uneducated and generalizing.
I'm no cork-sniffer, but that one always struck a nerve.
Now...back to my Flor de Allones and glass of MacAllen with one ice cube.....
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Doesn't bug me. I just smile and go on with my life.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

i might have already replies..but oh well..im old and cant remember..:D...YES it does bother me..1. I dont like cowboys. SORRY!!! never really got into them,even as a kid..2. HOW dumb are people? A fedora, ANY FEDORA does not look like a freaking cowboy hat!!..lol..3. Even ME,being uncultured and not knowing hats knows a fedora from a cowboy hat.I just think in general people have no brains..Sorry..so yes,..the cowboy comments make me cringe inside.. :twisted:
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I get the cowboy comments every so often. I get more "Dr. Jones" or "Indy" comments. Either way, it doesn't bother me. People are going to have there opinions.
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

youngjedi71 wrote:i might have already replies..but oh well..im old and cant remember..:D...YES it does bother me..1. I dont like cowboys. SORRY!!! never really got into them,even as a kid..2. HOW dumb are people? A fedora, ANY FEDORA does not look like a freaking cowboy hat!!..lol..3. Even ME,being uncultured and not knowing hats knows a fedora from a cowboy hat.I just think in general people have no brains..Sorry..so yes,..the cowboy comments make me cringe inside.. :twisted:

I feel your pain, bud!
But--there IS a fedora that resembles a cowboy hat--it's made by Dorfman Pacific.... :rolling:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

auntsugar wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:i might have already replies..but oh well..im old and cant remember..:D...YES it does bother me..1. I dont like cowboys. SORRY!!! never really got into them,even as a kid..2. HOW dumb are people? A fedora, ANY FEDORA does not look like a freaking cowboy hat!!..lol..3. Even ME,being uncultured and not knowing hats knows a fedora from a cowboy hat.I just think in general people have no brains..Sorry..so yes,..the cowboy comments make me cringe inside.. :twisted:

I feel your pain, bud!
But--there IS a fedora that resembles a cowboy hat--it's made by Dorfman Pacific.... :rolling:
yea..but they just trying to confuse people..lol..and probably draw a thin line between the 2 so they can say..yes..its a cowboy hat by day..but a fedora at night..;)
SteelEyeball
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SteelEyeball »

I usually don't mind the cowboy comments, but I am in college so I get them rather frequently. I always find it amusing getting referred to as "the guy with the hat."
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Wait for the first time you're out without a fedora and people ask, "Hey, where's your hat?"

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Wait for the first time you're out without a fedora and people ask, "Hey, where's your hat?"

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Yep, or by a daughter when they can't find you in a crowd because you're not wearing your hat that day. I got heck for that a couple years ago when we went to Vegas! Never left the room without my hat again! :oops:

Regards! Michaelson
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Michaelson wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:Wait for the first time you're out without a fedora and people ask, "Hey, where's your hat?"

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Yep, or by a daughter when they can't find you in a crowd because you're not wearing your hat that day. I got heck for that a couple years ago when we went to Vegas! Never left the room without my hat again! :oops:

Regards! Michaelson
:lol: I had the reverse happen with my toddler at the Queen Mary Summit--she kept mistaking the other Indy hat wearers for me! :lol:

:TOH: Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.
alaska_mcghee
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by alaska_mcghee »

99% of comments are made in good fun. So I treat it that way. Someone calls me a cowboy, I say "giddy up". Last time I argued with someone about that it was with a ten year old IN Scotland. I was wearing my Federation deluxe, Wested goat and Alden 403's.
Your a cowboy! - No I'm not!
Where you from? - Alberta Canada.
That's where the stampede is? - Yes (he actually heard of the Calgary Stampede)
Ever been to the rodeo? - Yes
Have you rode a horse? - Yes
Do you drive a pickup truck - Yes
Your a real Cowboy! - .......Sure I guess.

So "giddy up"

Johnny