Post your Adventurebilts here!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Post your Adventurebilts here!

Post by arklover »

alof of beautiful hats here. been debating for a long time to go ahead and get one...Am a streets of cairo look for the hat I want...Raiders of course...have debated beaver over rabbit..etc...got a big noggin at 7 5/8...and have heard about the ribbon and all that...SO with all that being said...When I do order one, will it cmoe with that front tight picnh and that semi floppy brim with a slight turn and correct ribbon? Want the look minus the dirt of where he's drinking scotch and playing with the monkey at the bar. Just love that look of the hat. Just appreciate all the experts here in helping me buy ONE time, the right way...lol
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

arklover wrote:alof of beautiful hats here. been debating for a long time to go ahead and get one...Am a streets of cairo look for the hat I want...Raiders of course...have debated beaver over rabbit..etc...got a big noggin at 7 5/8...and have heard about the ribbon and all that...SO with all that being said...When I do order one, will it cmoe with that front tight picnh and that semi floppy brim with a slight turn and correct ribbon? Want the look minus the dirt of where he's drinking scotch and playing with the monkey at the bar. Just love that look of the hat. Just appreciate all the experts here in helping me buy ONE time, the right way...lol

Since you talked about ribbon like you did. I would stick with AB as he is one of 3 people who have the screen used ribbon. Besides that his block and he replicates the Raiders hat better then everyone.
Last edited by BendingOak on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Use to prowl arounf here back in the day...been a long while...just always wanted the frail hat (FOR ME) everyone has the look of hat they want...just had always heard the adventure built has the felt down, the block, the correct screen accurate ribbon and the felt even had that reddish hue in certain lighting....just not sure they will have it streets of cairo out of the box...and to be honest...I dont want to screw it up or even have to alter it...want that tight front pinch, side turn and all the little secrets they've discovered over the years. Dont mind to have to wait....waited 9 motnhs for the correct Rocky 1 hat from Baron hats, the first one they made..was made from the WRONG FELT...ARGGG...lol Just wanted to get it right the first time.....however not sure but at one time I thought there was 2 different places to order from...one in the US and one over seas...
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Steve will get it right and there is no reason Barron takes that long considering how they make hats. It's like a small factory there. It's not like Steve or myself who truly make these by hand and do work alone.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

BendingOak wrote:Steve will get it right and there is no reason Barron takes that long considering how they make hats. It's like a small factory there. It's not like Steve or myself who truly make these by hand and do work alone.
Thank you for the information. LOVED your youtube video on making the Riaders bash...make it look soooo easy. Not to get off the subject but I had a TIME with Barons...they made a Rocky 1 hat with the tweed type material that they amke their Rocky Balboa hats with...so I got pivs of a blue tweed one and I was like UM...NO thats not right....thats what they had down for their spec on that hat...told them it was the specs for the lat Rocky movie NOT the first one...they did however let me take a look at 4 or 5 samples and let me choose...they even got the feather right...sent them LOTS of pics..dont think there could be any closer one than what I finally got. I dont mind waiting just want it right....wink.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

nicetrylaoche wrote:My AB seems to get more gorgeous with each and every wear. It also seems that for AB's, beauty increases linearly with sweat output ;)
Also, I've finally got my first full gear pics up with my new Adventurebilt over in the general gear section. Here's a little sample:

The rest can be viewed at the link below:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Z

Now that's exactly what Im talking about..alot of fedoras are brown...the Riaders has just a hint of that reddish hue in certain lighting...that's the hat I want. =P~ The bash, The raider's turn with the ribbon....If I can get one out of the box like that...IM IN..lol :notworthy: One thing I have noticed is some hats tend to have shorter crowns....and dont appear as tall is that the angle of the dangle or just different Indy hats, because some say Raiders style but the look short and kind of scruntched? :-k
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Interesting follow up regarding to my hat. Right out the box it looks a little bit damaged

But day after day -I wear it every day- regain shape and now looks perfect to my taste.

What do you think guys?. I have no idea that a hat can re shape itself :-k

Anyway I just love this hat
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Looks like the crease popped out during shipping. It will pop back into place.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Nice looking hat. ;) I like how in Raiders the front pinch goes down pretty much to the ribbon, then later in the movies that goes away.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

arklover wrote: Now that's exactly what Im talking about..alot of fedoras are brown...the Riaders has just a hint of that reddish hue in certain lighting...that's the hat I want. =P~ The bash, The raider's turn with the ribbon....If I can get one out of the box like that...IM IN..lol :notworthy: One thing I have noticed is some hats tend to have shorter crowns....and dont appear as tall is that the angle of the dangle or just different Indy hats, because some say Raiders style but the look short and kind of scruntched? :-k
The felt that Steve and John use is fairly dark when you first get it. Over time it lightens.

If they used a felt that had the lighter hue out of the box, over time (assuming it was worn - not kept in a glass case) it would become too light. To get it right you have to accept that it will take time to wear in.

Sometimes the crown height is the result of how the hat is creased - and sometimes it really is a fraction short. I have one that for some reason always looks shorter than the rest but it measures out pretty close to the others. It may be the way its creased, or something else about the proportions.
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

arklover wrote:
nicetrylaoche wrote:My AB seems to get more gorgeous with each and every wear. It also seems that for AB's, beauty increases linearly with sweat output ;)
Also, I've finally got my first full gear pics up with my new Adventurebilt over in the general gear section. Here's a little sample:

Cheers,
Z

Now that's exactly what Im talking about..alot of fedoras are brown...the Riaders has just a hint of that reddish hue in certain lighting...that's the hat I want. =P~ The bash, The raider's turn with the ribbon....If I can get one out of the box like that...IM IN..lol :notworthy: One thing I have noticed is some hats tend to have shorter crowns....and dont appear as tall is that the angle of the dangle or just different Indy hats, because some say Raiders style but the look short and kind of scruntched? :-k
Just FYI, this hat is now only a year a half old, but I have worn it quite a bit over that span. I agree with arklover about the reddish hues the felt gives off in certain lighting. Nothing else quite like it.
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Here is that same hat from above in my wedding 2 months ago ;)

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Great shot! You guys look terrific! It's a tie though -- between your bride and the hat :TOH: ! W>
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

nicetrylaoche wrote:
arklover wrote:

Cheers,
Z

Just FYI, this hat is now only a year a half old, but I have worn it quite a bit over that span. I agree with arklover about the reddish hues the felt gives off in certain lighting. Nothing else quite like it.

so when you ordered yours...what EXACTLY did you tell Steve? Any paticualr instructions?
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Besides the size of my head, I told him I wanted it to look as close to the "Drunken Monkey" Streets of Cairo hat as possible (as far as the crease and bash. When it arrived, the bash had loosened up quite a bit, but I did some fine tuning to get it how I wanted it. Besides that, I've babied it. I've worn it a lot and sweat in it quite a bit over 2 Alabama summers, but I always brush it and clean it after each use.
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Also, here is a link to a video from my wedding where my 3 very talented friends played the Raider's March on piano, violin, and cello. Notice my little bro tossing me my Adventurebilt as I exit the chapel. Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/83713660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

That's actually pretty neat.

Life is too short to not have fun on the way through. :TOH:
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

nicetrylaoche wrote:Also, here is a link to a video from my wedding where my 3 very talented friends played the Raider's March on piano, violin, and cello. Notice my little bro tossing me my Adventurebilt as I exit the chapel. Enjoy!

Awesome, congrats...couldnt help to think about the marriage scene in the last movie...NOT TODAY KID...lol You need to post some more pics of that hat so I can send as referrence..lol I assume yours is the 100 rabbit felt?
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

arklover wrote:
nicetrylaoche wrote:Also, here is a link to a video from my wedding where my 3 very talented friends played the Raider's March on piano, violin, and cello. Notice my little bro tossing me my Adventurebilt as I exit the chapel. Enjoy!

Awesome, congrats...couldnt help to think about the marriage scene in the last movie...NOT TODAY KID...lol You need to post some more pics of that hat so I can send as referrence..lol I assume yours is the 100 rabbit felt?
Actually, mine is 100% Beaver felt. I can try and gather together some more pics for you.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

100% beaver...nice. Wasnt it determined that the actual hats were indeed beaver felt? Never owned any beaver felt, hoping they dont shrink if they get wet..lol.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

First 3 movies and tv show were rabbit the 4th movie was beaver. Beaver being top shelf stuff it's felt that would be the least likely to shrink or tapper but like I have stated before every felt can shrink or tapper if the core gets soaked. Beaver will take longer and will be harder to get its core soaked.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

isnt there some new rabbit fur in the works thats suppose to be the closest to the Raiders felt ever....or did I just over read that somewhere?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

arklover wrote:isnt there some new rabbit fur in the works thats suppose to be the closest to the Raiders felt ever....or did I just over read that somewhere?

yes but not AB
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

BendingOak wrote:
arklover wrote:isnt there some new rabbit fur in the works thats suppose to be the closest to the Raiders felt ever....or did I just over read that somewhere?

yes but not AB
ok, so whoever gets the felt needs to do a hybird..lol AB has the correct ribbon and block for Raiders...and now whoever does the felt should have a marraige for a short run of Raiders hats..lol
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Steve , Marc and myself are the only ones who have the screen used ribbon and I have all of Steve's blocks and now I have the borsalino vintage type rabbit felt. :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

BendingOak wrote:Steve , Marc and myself are the only ones who have the screen used ribbon and I have all of Steve's blocks and now I have the borsalino vintage type rabbit felt. :TOH:
Oh well. We didn't really need much of a vacation this year anyway. :lol:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:
BendingOak wrote:Steve , Marc and myself are the only ones who have the screen used ribbon and I have all of Steve's blocks and now I have the borsalino vintage type rabbit felt. :TOH:
Oh well. We didn't really need much of a vacation this year anyway. :lol:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Im guessing you could pull of a pretty good streets of cairo/drunk monkey hat? :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

arklover wrote:

Im guessing you could pull of a pretty good streets of cairo/drunk monkey hat? :TOH:
Could and does.

John makes a specific Cairo hat that looks like it was pulled straight off the movie set. Knowing how much he dislikes taking a new hat and distressing it I'm sure he'd be happy to make one without the dirt and sweat stains.

arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

I know the distressing is part of that particular style...but I figure I can fuller earth it lightly here and there IF and WHEN I want a dirty hat..otherwise it will be a clean version of that hat.... :mrgreen: So when will we see pics of this new felt? Anytime soon? :-k
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:
arklover wrote:

Could and does.

John makes a specific Cairo hat that looks like it was pulled straight off the movie set. Knowing how much he dislikes taking a new hat and distressing it I'm sure he'd be happy to make one without the dirt and sweat stains.

WOW! :shock: that hat looks amazing looks like some one stole that off the set! Would love to get one like that all dirtied up would look amazing
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I didn't mean to derail this thread. I just want to add some information about the ribbon and AB. If you want to talk about my new rabbit felt either pm, email or hit my main thread.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks, John, for bumping this thread back in the right direction. :TOH:

Let's keep the chatter about ABs.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Location shooting on the feature film "Hysperia"
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Great hat!. And great picture too ;)
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

Bogie -

That hat just looks so natural and so "right" in that setting!

Regards,
Sean
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Obi Sean Kenobi wrote:Bogie -

That hat just looks so natural and so "right" in that setting!

Regards,
Sean
Agreed :TOH: ! Where are you in this shot? Looks like New Mexico to me, but what do I know and two: tell us more about his film. Love the title. Really triggers the imagination. However, not to derail this thread -- tell us in Lao Che's Table. Thanks ;) ! W>
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Here is one that was shot in Winslow, back in Sept.

nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Awesome shot, Canasta!
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Thanks!
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Sweet lid!
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by dorian.jedi.master »

Hello all! My first post...I ordered my Adventure bilt this past month! (An early graduation present) Can't wait to post pics...
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Took some more pics of my hat a few weeks back.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

chuck2003 wrote:Took some more pics of my hat a few weeks back.
it all looks brilliant on you..very nice.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Canasta wrote:Thanks!
Looking good! To bad my hat is not an adventurbilt. You know Canasta, that looks like the Area 51 Nevada layout there. Just need the Russians to be aiming guns at you and you will look like a scene from KoTCS.

Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

:CR:

Hey, all!

Here's a recent photo of my lid. It's 8 years old this year.

baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Tell it I said Happy Birthday lol! Nice lid man! Luuuuuuuuucky!
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I feel like I've owned this hat for a decade now. It's tough as nails.

shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

@Strider: Your AB looks like it has aged very well!

@Bogie1943: Your AB also looks amazing. How old is it?
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Thanks! :toh: