Wested fit question (with pic) - UPDATE - RECEIVED!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Manchesterjake
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Re: Wested fit question (with pic) - UPDATE - RECEIVED!

Post by Manchesterjake »

LZeitgeist wrote:Yeah, I was under the impression that they were going to disassemble the entire back and narrow the bottom of the yoke, but I think they tapered the back panel and left the top edge at the yoke seam as it was.

I had them add the elastic straps between the action pleats, and I think that this helped correct the initial problem to a larger degree than tapering the back panel, but I think doing both helped as much as was possible.

NOTE TO ALL FUTURE WESTED PURCHASERS - at this time, the elastic straps between the action pleats is NOT a standard feature of the 'Raiders' jacket. If you want these included (and it seems to me that the design of this jacket demands them) you must specifically request them. If I understood Gemma correctly, there is no additional charge for them if included on the initial order request.

Thanks for the info. They dont seem to list the jacket options on their website.
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

Yeah, when I originally ordered my Wested, I used the small 'Special Requests' box to enter what info I could - square brass Tri-Glides, small zipper, US-style zipper installation, hidden snap at the bottom of the storm flap, etc. - I figured that the imposed limitation on the number of characters you were able to enter into that box was an implied indication of how many notes/requests they would tolerate and actually READ before they started ignoring a potential laundry list of stitch pickings, like what used to be presented to them in the past, given my research here.

However, I was pretty stunned that the elastic was left out - it seems to me to be a needed and integral part of the design of the jacket. originally, I felt like, heck, they designed the jacket, the would know if it was needed or not. But given how the pleats and back were looking and working, it just seemed to me that I was not going to truly be happy until the elastic was added to see what improvement it would make to the problems I was having. And given the work they had to do to adjust the back for me, they put the elastic straps in at no charge, so I'm happy they corrected the oversight.

Given the good communication that Gemma provided through e-mail, in the next order, I think I'd write in the 'Special Requests' box to 'please see e-mail from LZeitgeist dated such-and-such', and then I'd list and explain my Requests and concerns in an e-mail with my Order Number listed prominantly in the Subject Line. I'd still be as brief and to-the-point as I was able to be, but at least there you could ask your questions and explain your desires more clearly.

I did almost a full year of research here, listing options and descriptions before I felt brave enough to know what what felt reasonable to ask for and learn the accurate names and descriptions of all the details, options and possibilities. I didn't want to get into a cycle of order the first jacket, take measurments from that one so I knew how to order the second jacket more properly fit to my size, sell the first jacket, take a loss, use the money to by the second jacket, hoping it was right this time, send it back for final alterations, worry and wait, etc. - I really wanted to do everything I could to get it right the very first time. And in the end, it really was darn close, and shipping it back once to make the adjustments wasn't bad at all (except for the whole Customs issue on the other end that Gemma had to work through to convince them it was a returned item, since the Customs Office apparently didn't feel like reading the correctly-marked paperwork, the clearly marked label, and the message I had written right on the box itself, claiming 'RETURNED ITEM'... *sigh*) - Gemma worked her magic with Customs and it all turned out OK in the end.

I'm thrilled with my Wested, and I wear it every day, and I will for a long time to come.

I would like to think when it comes time for the liner to be replaced, I'd ship it back to Wested to have them do it, but the whole Customs fiasco will probably prevent me from going that route. I'll figure that out when the time comes.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

LZeitgeist wrote: I had them add the elastic straps between the action pleats, and I think that this helped correct the initial problem to a larger degree than tapering the back panel,
Any chance of you showing us what you mean. Pictures of the area???
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

RayROnline wrote:
LZeitgeist wrote: I had them add the elastic straps between the action pleats, and I think that this helped correct the initial problem to a larger degree than tapering the back panel,
Any chance of you showing us what you mean. Pictures of the area???
The elastic straps are positioned horizontally, connected to the centermost edges of the action pleat panels, floating between the back leather panel and the cloth liner.

There's no way to take a picture of it without taking the liner out of the jacket.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

This is a standard feature on the G&B by the way. They are the only.
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

My Disney/Cooper jacket had them as well.