Best Raiders whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Best Raiders whip

Post by arklover »

OK..hope this doesnt get out of hand...I know David Morgan made the originals and Joe Strain makes a real accurate 28th anniv whip (which currently isnt being made) so with that being said...Who makes the most accurate and how close or different are they to the Raiders whip? Post the top three in your opinion...and you can include the prices they cost as a setermining factor as well.... :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Re: Best Raiders whip

Post by Cajunkraut »

As you may know, David Morgan moved away from the original Raiders whip design decades ago.

There are still a few options available for Raiders-specific whips. A semi-comprehensive list of whips and makers:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Del Carpio and Nolan probably get recognized for the most accurate Raiders reproductions. Both learned from Morgan at some point. More information:

http://delcarpiowhips.com/bullwhips_00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.midwestwhips.com/IndyWhips.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A great quality-to-price ratio option is a Damrel Raiders whip:

http://creasencorral.com/index.php?fuse ... ff314a5355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most quality whip purchases come with a significant investment of time and money. I'm sure other COW members may have some recommendations as well.

Welcome and Good luck! :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would go

Del Carpio, Strain and Dusty. I own whips from all three and Dusty prices are lower then what they should be. I think its mostly because not many know about him yet and the key word is yet. I have 3 of his whips waiting for number 4. Fantastic whip maker.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

BendingOak wrote:I would go

Del Carpio, Strain and Dusty. I own whips from all three and Dusty prices are lower then what they should be. I think its mostly because not many know about him yet and the key word is yet. I have 3 of his whips waiting for number 4. Fantastic whip maker.
I see the links for the first two...but wheres the link for Dusty's?
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Cajunkraut wrote:As you may know, David Morgan moved away from the original Raiders whip design decades ago.

There are still a few options available for Raiders-specific whips. A semi-comprehensive list of whips and makers:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Del Carpio and Nolan probably get recognized for the most accurate Raiders reproductions. Both learned from Morgan at some point. More information:

http://delcarpiowhips.com/bullwhips_00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.midwestwhips.com/IndyWhips.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A great quality-to-price ratio option is a Damrel Raiders whip:

http://creasencorral.com/index.php?fuse ... ff314a5355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most quality whip purchases come with a significant investment of time and money. I'm sure other COW members may have some recommendations as well.

Welcome and Good luck! :TOH:
Mid-west is looking good at $605...style and color are there, and it's the cheapest and accurate ratio so far.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

arklover wrote:I see the links for the first two...but wheres the link for Dusty's?
Dusty Damrel at Crease N Corral...last link.

Again:
http://creasencorral.com/index.php?fuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ff314a5355

:TOH:
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

thanks....great looking whips...great prices...but cow hide...so Im guessing the wait time...going to side with del carpio at $730...looks,color and kangaroo hide. Maybe Ill post in the WTF and see if I get any bites..lol
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

arklover wrote:thanks....great looking whips...great prices...but cow hide...so Im guessing the wait time...going to side with del carpio at $730...looks,color and kangaroo hide. Maybe Ill post in the WTF and see if I get any bites..lol
I recommend calling or emailing the vendor to get an accurate lead time estimate before you decide.

And for more on screen accurate color:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Cajunkraut wrote:
arklover wrote:thanks....great looking whips...great prices...but cow hide...so Im guessing the wait time...going to side with del carpio at $730...looks,color and kangaroo hide. Maybe Ill post in the WTF and see if I get any bites..lol
I recommend calling or emailing the vendor to get an accurate estimate on the lead time before you make your decision.

And for more on screen accurate color:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
most definately... :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

When it comes to accurate/price you can't beat dusty.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

You might also investigate Jeremy (riku1914 here on the forum). All I've seen are photos of his Indy whips, but it looks like he's striving for accuracy. I do own one of his non-Indy whips and it is FANTASTIC. And his prices are very reasonable, too -- especially since you'll get a traditionally constructed whip. That might be important to you. Might not.

You can check out Jeremy's whips at: http://www.jmwhips.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I say "traditionally" constructed, I'm referring mostly to the internals. I don't want to knock Dusty's whips, because I own one and it's one of my favorites (next to my Strain), but he does construct them in a more...shall we say "modern" way (cable core versus multiple braided layers). Appearance-wise, you can't tell the difference on the outside. But for me, it does handle slightly different. Not poorly, just a little differently.

It's something to be aware of. And it's why my nitpicky brain prefers my Strain as my "Indy" whip because *I* know it was constructed how Indy's whip would have been. :roll: <-- at myself. :rolling:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

lets be a bit more clear. the cable that you call it is very tiny and the rest of the whip is constructed the same. it's more of a added feature but something Dusty should explain himself.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

It's a thin cable in some coating and few bolsters, not plaited bellies like in traditional whips.

Too bad that Dusty has loooong waiting times :)
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

tomek9210 wrote:It's a thin cable in some coating and few bolsters, not plaited bellies like in traditional whips.

Too bad that Dusty has loooong waiting times :)
Yes, from my understanding, only the overlay is plaited.

Some "traditionalists" don't like it. Then again, some of them don't like paracord whips, either.

I don't mind Dusty's construction method as a functional whip. Like I said, I think his whip performs "differently" than the "tradionally" made whips I have in the same length, but I wouldn't call it wrong by any means. Paracord whips behave a little differently, too. And handle lengths, transition stiffness, and even the number of strands in the plaiting can all make one whip act differently from another. Yada yada yada. ;)

And his whips certainly LOOK the part in addition to being fully functional.

My point was that for my own picking of nits, I want my "Indy" whip to be as similar to a Morgan as I can reasonably get -- kangaroo hide, multiple plaited bellies. For now, my Joe Strain fits the bill.

Since the original poster mentioned "most accurate," I thought it was worth pointing out that IF internals matter, it's worth considering that Dusty uses a different method of construction. "Accurate" means different things to different people. :TOH:
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

yes I was really wanting a Joe Strain...might still hold out for one...the 28th anniv ones look absoutley incredible to me.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Rust's cowhide whips feel like roo...but Joe is the best whip maker in the world. If you ask whip makers who they think isnthe best whipmaker....almost all say Joe Strain. If someone told me that a Joe Strain whip was made by a machine...I would believe it.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Raiders whip was roo hide?
Last edited by BendingOak on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Although I'm a Raiders fan through and through for the whole outfit and equipment, I really do like the KOTCS whip with that whisky or dark tan finish as it really looks like it's seen some heavy/field use. =P~
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I was a little turned off on the KOTCS ay 1st...then once I got my 8' 16 plait KOTCS for Joe back in Novemeber....I told myself I may never buy a raidrrs style again...it looks gorgeous!
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Oh yes, the Raiders whip was kangaroo for sure. I have a 10' Morgan Indy whip from 1984 and spent a good long time with Morgan on the phone at the time (as have many of you) hearing about whip history. It was a LOT of fun. He's the one who told me about C. Henderson and Douglas Fairbanks, etc. etc.

But Morgan had been doing those whips for a while already before Raiders he said.

I also have a 12' Indy by Morgan 1987.

I don't use either of these much anymore as they are in the "collector" zone but they get cracked now and again.

Falls have been replaced a few times. White, of course. Wrist loop had to be redone at one point too. But other than that they are nicely bathed with Pecard's.

:)
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I'm not really into whips quite honestly, I do however appreciate the artistry of the makers and the fact that it's a functional tool. But I'm more concerned about it completing my quest and the uniqueness of the gear to Indy. So when I looked for a whip six years ago, when the prices were rising, I wanted to do it right and not feel like having to upgrade in the future.

Joe Strain came through, and even let me change my mind after ordering. I've never looked back. It's Raiders. It's my favorite gear along with my 2007 adventurebilt because they are perfect recreations in my eyes.
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

BendingOak wrote:When it comes to accurate/price you can't beat dusty.
I just checked out his site. Bookmarked it as a place for my next whip. :) Thanks for talking him up! :TOH:
jcm0687
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jcm0687 »

OK, I give in. I hadn't thought about getting a "whip" until I started reading the many posts that exist. So many vendors, so much information. Well, definitely decided I need, not want - well maybe a want coupled with a strong desire- to own a whip. Looking for a SA Indy whip, probably Raiders, which will not only display well but be functional as I intend to use it. Hard to select a vendor but I think I've focused on Midwestwhip (Paul Nolan). I spoke with him the other night. Seems to be a genuinely nice and pleasant person. Willing to talk, answer questions and lives/works in my state (California). His website is informative and displays his products well (as do many of the other vendor websites). Trying to be diligent in researching a whip vendor. So, big question -seeking your guys' opinions, thoughts-what do you think of Midwestwhips?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Midwest is a solid choice.

Hopefully Paul can hold out an in-stock whip for you from his Western Stage Prop production to save you some wait time.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

dustys whips are Anthony De longis go to whip maker so goes to how well Dustys whips are made.
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

I personally would go with Paul Nolan at MidWestWhips- great quality & very screen accurate!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I currently have two indy style whips. One from Midwest whips. Paul is a great guy. The second is one from JMwhips. Great cracking whips.

I have a third being made up for me by Blake Bruning. Blake also makes a pretty sweet whip.

All look just as good as a Morgan and are cheaper too, but not in quality of course. One day I would love to own a Morgan made by David of course. Just a dream for now.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Jeremiah wrote:All look just as good as a Morgan and are cheaper too, but not in quality of course.
Don't forget - David Morgan hasn't made the Raiders design that jcm0687 is interested in for at least the last 25 years.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

My comment on quality was to reflect that despite the cheaper price, the quality is as good imo as a morgan.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Jeremiah wrote:My comment on quality was to reflect that despite the cheaper price, the quality is as good imo as a morgan.
Understood. One must admit that there might be room for interpretation re: the "look" you mentioned in the overall scope of this thread. Just clarifying for the benefit of jcm0687 and any other newcomers. ;)
jcm0687
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jcm0687 »

Thanks for all the feedback. Been learning a lot about whipmaking and a whole lot about the world of whip vendors. Had a talk with Paul from Midwestwhips. Seems to be a very energetic consummate professional who was very willing to talk on the phone and answer questions. Another plus is that he lives in my state - about six hours away by car. Just when I'm leaning one way, up pops another vendor who makes an equally good whip. Feel like a kid at Bascom Robins trying to decide what flavor of ice cream I want...want them all. Well, leaning towards Paul Nolan but....still looking. Want to make sure...."I CHOOSE WISELY."
SeanSoLowe
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SeanSoLowe »

Looking to choose between a Mid West or Trinity Indy whip. Anyone have any experience with both? How would you compare the two?
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Both are solid choices, you really can't go wrong with either one.
Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

Jeremiah wrote: I have a third being made up for me by Blake Bruning. Blake also makes a pretty sweet whip.
Let me chime in by saying that I was looking to purchase a “first whip” for my son’s 10th Birthday to go along with a special Raider’s screening at Franklin Theater that I arranged for him and his friends.

Blake made an excellent whip in Kangaroo hide and had it delivered in excellent time. Blake even threw in a few tutorial DVDs to help him learn. My son has using the whip ever since. He has become quite adept at several whip cracking techniques. I plan on ordering another from Blake when it’s time to get him a longer whip.

I have a 10 foot early 90’s Morgan and aside from difference in length, they look very similar in all respects. You can’t go wrong with Blake.

Best regards,

Ride Guy