Replicating the Smith & Wesson 45 Bapty from other parts

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Replicating the Smith & Wesson 45 Bapty from other parts

Post by mojoturbo »

Hey, forgive me if this has been asked and answered, I did an initial search and didn't exactly see this.

I want to know if it's possible to "Frankenstein" a Bapty using other parts?

So say for instance if you bought this: [Smith & Wesson 586 corrected by Michaelson] :notworthy:

Could you replace the handle grips with this?

"K_22_Square_Butt_Old_Style_Grips_with_medallions"

And then screw on the one inch swivel?

"Uncle Mikes Victory 1 inch_Model_Butt_Swivel"

Are pistol grips universal? Id think not, especially from going from a legit gun to an airsoft?

But I am still curious?

"Can it be done?"

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for your answer.

:D
Last edited by mojoturbo on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Replicating the Smith & Wesson 45 Bapty from other parts

Post by Michaelson »

Short answer regarding 'real' guns, no, you can't.

The Python is a Colt, where the Bapty is a S&W. Two completely different frames.

You'll have to find a set of grips that are specifically made to fit the frame of the companies gun you're trying to replace.

Swivels can be drilled and tapped to any gun, but be aware of the placement of the gun serial number.

On newer Smiths, the serial number is dead center of where the swivel used to go, so you'd have to offset the hole. Pythons used to be on the frame behind the crane of the cylinder, so that should not be an issue.

Regards! Michaelson
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

Thanks Michaelson!

I guess I should have specified that the Pyhon is an airsoft (do those even have serial numbers?)

So it's highly doubtful I would find a S & W grip MODIFIED to fit a COLT airsoft.

I figured it was a stretch, maybe I can have a machinist trim the colt grip and then glue the grips down with gorilla glue!

:lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Understood. Yep, you didn't specify what type gun, and none of your photos are working for me, so I couldn't tell. :TOH:

Good luck!

Regards! M
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

With airsoft, the sky's almost the limit.

When it comes to legit gun parts' compatibility with airsoft, the answer is it depends on the airsoft manufacturer. Just remember that some airsoft guns begin to approach the price range of actual firearms.

Generally speaking, revolver grips (S&W calls them stocks) are compatible with the series of revolvers within a specific frame size. The actual 1917 is a S&W "N" frame revolver.

:TOH:
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

Thanks! BTW do the pictures work now?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

mojoturbo wrote:Thanks! BTW do the pictures work now?
Yep! :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Working now. :TOH:

By the way, that second photo isn't a 'Python'. That's a Smith Model 586. If they have it listed as a Python, they're wrong. Just an FYI. ;)

Regards! M
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

Just double checked and you are correct sir!

Well, I do know a guy who builds custom riffles, he might be able to help me but I am sure riffles and pistols are two different animals.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Not to kill your plans, but some airsoft revolvers don't have a full frame under their grips.

A real revolver would have a full metal frame under that wood and the oversized grips would be hollowed out to accommodate.

Since that area on an airsoft revolver is where the gas compartment is typically located, and it's ultimately covered by big plastic grips, the "frame" tapers and terminates under those grips.

This might be different, depending on the base-model airsoft you end up using, so be sure what you're starting with.
(Here's what I started with: http://www.hobbytron.com/GreenGasHFCHG1 ... istol.html)
Mine started out with Magna grips and I just cut, added filler putty, filed to contour, and painted them to get my results. I've see others do something similar, with even better success than I had.

Here's my build on what you're trying to do:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28642132@N ... 347527206/

Highlights on the frame differences.
Real M1917.

Airsoft.
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

What a beautiful build and a even more beautiful gun. That is exactly the thing I would like to do. I had thought of the handle being hollow - already trying to find the best way to "adhere" the lanyard on the bottom if need be.

I am so glad you gents are so helpful and accommodating.

:whip:

Do you have a write up / thread on this build? Does the T grip come right off?
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks for the kind words, I've seen much better reworks though.

For filler material, I think I used some J-B WaterWeld; just because I had it on-hand. My full Flickr album has all the notes I have on the process. Sorry I forget to take multiple pics when working on stuff because I normally just plow through.

Depending on the type of grips your airsoft has, you may be able to cut half-circles out of each side, so that when reinstalled, they would form a circle to hold the post of a lanyard ring.

Good luck with your build.
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

Yea Bish has a really good bash (see what I did there? Bish / Bash, ah, I kill me :D )

Link:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54831&p=788903&hili ... er#p788903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I am sold on getting the Green Gas HFC HG-131B FPS-350 Airsoft Revolver Pistol like you did, much closer frame type and I had not even noticed the one I was looking at was all plastic.

Link:

http://www.hobbytron.com/GreenGasHFCHG1 ... istol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the grips will be the hardest part, wish someone made casts of these bad boys.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

That was one of the builds I remember.

CarolinaQuirk did one as well. (His may have been the one that got me to do mine.)

The one I have is mostly plastic; there's metal, but like all airsofts I've ever seen, it's metal in definition, but don't expect steel-like feel.

The whole process of making the grips is easy if you can file, sand, and paint. Just take your time.
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

The whole process of making the grips is easy if you can file, sand, and paint.
That's a big IF... ha ha. No, that's not one of my strong points, besides in that scenario you still need the medallions

There are some gold S & W medallions on this page (http://www.kbgrips.com/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) anyone know what SIZE Indy's are?
400 or 500 diameter? I see them pop up on "the bay" from time to time. But yea, unless I can sculpt and sand (which I can't) it's pretty useless to go that route.

I think if someone could make the cast and they fit the HG-131B we'd have a pretty affordable Indy Bapty.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I don't think casts off a real S&W would work. The HE2 is an N frame revolver. The model being discussed I believe is a K frame. Same general shape, but overall smaller gun.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
mojoturbo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mojoturbo »

Yes of course Jeff, sorry I didn't make that more clear (my bad) :x

These would be (hypothetically) casts off a sculpt, not an actual set of legit grips.