Do you wear your hat or does it wear you?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Do you wear your hat or does it wear you?

Post by fedoralover »

I ran across this quite a while ago and maybe some have seen it already. I got quite a kick out of it, but it makes a point. Many people think they don't look right wearing a fedora. That could be because they let it wear them. This short video shows the difference.

fedoralover

http://dresswithstyle.com/2010/01/17/me ... two-tilts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do you wear your hat or does it wear you?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Love it! Though I will say I wear nearly all my fedoras straight on - no tilts at all. :)

With one exception. I worked with David Garrison on a black Bogey style fedora. 8) My main concern was black hats can too easily move into the range of costumey gangster hats. David understood my concerns.

The hat arrived and I absolutely loved it. :D

On the hat stand.

On my head, well....something was off. :-s

Part of it was getting it a bit broken in and the brim the way I wanted it.

The other was...something else.

I put it on one day with a tilt toward my left ear and that was it. :D It needed a little tilt to bring out it's true character. :TOH:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Indiana Jeff wrote: I put it on one day with a tilt toward my left ear and that was it. :D It needed a little tilt to bring out it's true character. :TOH:
Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Most fedora's really do look better with a bit of a tilt. Interesting you mention your black fedora. Here's one of me in a black fedora with a tilt.

fedoralover
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

The guy in the video cheated!! His hat looks good on him at all angles.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Honestly, I don't think about my fedoras one way or the other. I wear them for head protection year round, so they take on an attitude of their own. :-k

If you do that in mind....using your hat as a tool.... then you're wearing your hat, not vice versa. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:Honestly, I don't think about my fedoras one way or the other. I wear them for head protection year round, so they take on an attitude of their own. :-k

If you do that in mind....using your hat as a tool.... then you're wearing your hat, not vice versa. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Amen! Doesn't matter if it's a fedora or what kind of hat/cap, etc. If 'it' is truly yours -- it will work! If not, then the 'hat' is wearing you! I've never had this problem. Of coarse I grew up wearing hats, so I guess I need to understand that not all people process hats the same way I do :TOH: ! Just my two cents. W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup: