The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: The Federation IV Display Page

Post by folkprophet »

Just got my Fed IV. Here's 5 min after getting it and my first bash:

bilbo524
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bilbo524 »

Nice! Is that a dry bash, or did you use steam or cool water?

My Fed IV is in the mail now :)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

bilbo524 wrote:Nice! Is that a dry bash, or did you use steam or cool water?

Well, if he used steam -- that is one heck of a super-fast steamer :rolling: ! Five minutes! Really? Nice bash for such a short amount of time! W>
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by folkprophet »

bilbo524 wrote:Nice! Is that a dry bash, or did you use steam or cool water?

Dry bash. Just put it on, turned it, karate chopped the middle lightly with is still on my head, then pulled it off and pinched the front pretty good. It's a bit different now...uh...taking a pic....

Mostly just downturned at the front from constantly pulling on it. And I got it dirty. :) Heheh.

I can't imagine needing steam. It was not hard to shape.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

That's a nice looking lid, folkprophet! Good job on the bash :TOH:
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

Ahhhh, just popped the liner out of my Fed IV, and it feels great in these warmer temps. If I decide I made a mistake, it goes back in very easily. Maybe when the weather turns good and cold, although I shave my head and when it's good and cold I usually sport a stocking cap. For now though, it feels great. PS, my fedora doesn't touch the top of my head, nice and comfortable. \:D/
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Hi everyone. I am going to have around $150 to play with in order to get a decent Indy fedora. For those who have recently purchased a Fed IV, could you PM me and let me know where you got it and how much it cost?? I would appreciate it kindly... :)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Check this link:

http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I have checked the hatsdirect website...however, I was wondering is there a way to get it cheaper if sold and shipped in the US? The shipping from Australia is $38!! At the price mentioned on the site, it would run basically around $162...

but if it could be found here in the states, would it be any cheaper??

edit: The hatsdirect website says that the Fed IV is exlusive to their store...does that mean you cannot buy it in the States?? Has everyone here bought it only from hatsdirect?
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Sadly, I think the Fed IV can only be bought through hatsdirect. Online anyway. I have seen plenty Akubra retailers here in the states. Perhaps if you could contact one of them and see if they could order it for you? Maybe retailers get a deal on shipping. This seems like a round about way to go about it in order to save 12 dollars though. davidmorgan.com is an example of an Akubra dealer here in the states. Actually, I'm quite shocked they don't list the Federation IV in their catalog even though they carry "the" bullwhip. They have the Adventurer and tout it as the Indiana Jones hat. You think they'd be better informed on the Fed IV. But maybe they can't sell it because it's exclusive to hatsdirect.
Last edited by Arch Stanton on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

That's something I was trying to do today. One hat shop sort of nearby said that they only carry a few styles of Akubra hat, sadly the Fed IV is not among them. They told me that dealers have to order a minimum of hats and most have to be choosy as to which hats they sell....it will be like finding a needle in a haystack to see if any store here in the US has Fed IVs...

I did a run of price checking and they are as follows:

Hatsdirect Fed IV: $163 shipped to US
David Morgan Akubra Adventurer: $159 shipped
Coyle's Raider: $142 shipped

Here's my question to all of you in the know: which of these since they are relatively all in the ballpark would be the "best" to get given this price range?? I want the Raiders look, btw!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The FedIV is a hatsdirect exclusive. The folks at hatsdirect worked with members here to have Akubra build the Federation line. Among the hats you mentioned the FedIV is the most durable and will give you the best look and value for your money.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Charybdis, you will not be disappointed with the Fed IV. It usually takes about a week to arrive. I once ordered one on a Sunday night. It must have went out before lunch on Monday in Australia because it was sitting on my porch that Friday. That was a pleasant surprise, to say the least. I've mailed birthday cards to only 5 miles away across the river from Detroit, Michigan to Windsor, Ontario, Canada that have taken longer than that. Usually customs is more of a hold-up.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I have heard so much about the Fed IV and I was leaning toward it, in the end and with much reflection on the subject, I have decided to order the Fed IV from hatsdirect as well...

:D
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The red line you have marked isn't tapper as to what most people talk of.That slant should be there.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

BendingOak wrote:The red line you have marked isn't tapper as to what most people talk of.That slant should be there.
Yeah... but I kinda like it with less slant as possible. Do the sides seem tapered or am I just being paranoid? :[
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ok, but you are moving away from a raiders hat.
Dr.JonesClone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dr.JonesClone »

JMO, the before pic's were more true to form. Still a very nice hat. Unfortunately the after pic's lose the Raiders drama.
:roll:
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

My FedIV, as some of you might have noticed, is slowly shrinking and tapering. I guess putting it through too much rain showers and the heat in my country has taken its toll on the poor thing. A few days ago, my mom noticed that it looked "smaller" than usual. This alarmed me, because she can hardly tell my hats apart. I guess it was really shrinking.

It was then I decided to do a semi-reblock using the foam block I made waaaayyyy back. I dunked the hat in a pail of water and poured water inside the crown to make sure it was properly wet and pliable.

Stretched it over the block and pushed and pulled the brim down to properly stretch the crown... I was a little cautious at first as I didn't want to have a repeat of my Christy's Adventurer accident (I pulled too hard and the felt in the brim break stretched too much and became very thin, losing the brim break). Left it overnight to dry and ironed the brim as it had become all wonky from all my pushing and pulling on it.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I managed to sort of revive it from it's tapered appearance.

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics. Still haven't gotten my digicam repaired.

Watcha guys think?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Sometimes if you bash the back of the hat too far down, it can cause the taper look. Sometimes raising the bash on the back of the hat is all it needs?
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Oh, you wouldn't believe the amount of rain this hat's been through since you gave it to me... The hat had pretty much tapered and shrunk.

I've been caught outside in heavy rain so many times I can't even count 'em. Also at one point, I accidentally left it inside a hot car. :oops:

Remember, we only have two seasons; hot & humid season and hot & rainy season. So I guess the climate here really takes it's toll on felt hats.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well done fenris. Got some life back into that old hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

*blows layer of dust off thread*

Well, I've been looking for a non-brown "Indy"-ish lid. I settled on an Akubra Fed IV in carbon grey. I apoligize foor the not-so-great quality pics, as they were taken via cell phone camera.

http://i.imgur.com/Xmlvw3vl.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I gave it a somewhat loose front pinch, as I've been favoring that over the Raiders crease recently. It's a stiff hat when brand new, but it took the dry bash well.

http://i.imgur.com/CVhmTJu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/Mx86DdY.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/nVng8Hh.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next to my actual Indy lid (Garrison)

and finally, a shot of it on my head.

This was also my first time bashing an open-crown hat. How'd I do?
Last edited by Geno on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ya done good! :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Nice, I like the color...unfortunately, I do not have any suits where that would go well. All of mine are brown...
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Charybdis wrote:Nice, I like the color...unfortunately, I do not have any suits where that would go well. All of mine are brown...
Dye? Paint? Or...uh, :-k ! Shop #-o ! W>
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Nailed it, Geno!

Looks good and looks good on ya.

I've got a special place in my heart for the FED IV. It was my first Indy hat and still looks great.
Enjoy this one indeed!

B
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

That's sharp, man. I have been thinking about getting a carbon grey for a while now. You sold me. And thanks for including a picture in outdoor natural light.
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

Looks good. I'm a proponent of "pick a bash that looks good on YOU....don't try to look like Harrison Ford."

For instance, I look awful in a Raiders hat. Why? I have a HUGE head. LC or KOTCS bashes look better on me.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

The Fed IV deluxe was my first and is my only true looking Indy fedora. And it has been through some pretty good times, even though I've had it for only a year at the end of this coming January.

Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

one thing I've noticed about this hat. If you work with it a lot with distilled water, it starts to be a lighter brown in some areas.
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

Geno wrote:*blows layer of dust off thread*

Well, I've been looking for a non-brown "Indy"-ish lid. I settled on an Akubra Fed IV in carbon grey. I apoligize foor the not-so-great quality pics, as they were taken via cell phone camera.

http://i.imgur.com/Xmlvw3vl.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I gave it a somewhat loose front pinch, as I've been favoring that over the Raiders crease recently. It's a stiff hat when brand new, but it took the dry bash well.

http://i.imgur.com/CVhmTJu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/Mx86DdY.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/nVng8Hh.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next to my actual Indy lid (Garrison)

and finally, a shot of it on my head.

This was also my first time bashing an open-crown hat. How'd I do?
Looking good
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm very happy to say I've finally ordered an Akubra FedIV Deluxe - the Moonstone gray version.
I've been so happy with how much character my Henry has developed over the past few years and would never want to get a second "brown" Indy hat.
I'll post pics as soon as it arrives!
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I know this is not thread related, but does anyone know if fenris made it through that horrible storm in the Philippines? Moderator, if this has to be moved to another area, I certainly understand.
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Haven't posted in a thread in a really long time but I'm still around and still sporting a federation. Thinking of getting something else though. Sorry for the weird face. Girlfriend took the picture and said I looked miserable in the one before this. Haha!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

RedburnIV wrote:Image

Haven't posted in a thread in a really long time but I'm still around and still sporting a federation. Thinking of getting something else though. Sorry for the weird face. Girlfriend took the picture and said I looked miserable in the one before this. Haha!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
your bash on your hat looks very fine :clap: :tup:
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Yeah, that's a great bash, especially for a Fed IV.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

After nearly four years of proudly owning and wearing my Adventurebilt Henry, I finally decided it was time for a gray hat.

My Akubra Fed 4 Deluxe Moonstone arrived today and my excitement was palpable!
I was relieved to find just how well-made this hat is, and the felt quality, though not as smooth as the Henry, is quite gorgeous!

I should have taken pre-bash pics, but I was too excited to fit and bash it. I used my garment steamer which worked incredibly well to make the felt moldable like clay.

My Henry has a Raiders/Last Crusade hybrid bash - for the Akubra, I wanted a full LC bash as over the past few years, I began to wonder if the LC bash would better suit my head and facial structure.

I gotta admit, I already prefer the block shape of my Akubra over the Henry. The crown isn't as tall looking and really makes a great LC hat!
I haven't started beating it up yet to break in the felt, but I'm intending this for dressed up looks, so maybe abusing it like my Henry won't be necessary.

Part of me wants to buy another in Brown and use that one as my full gear hat, but my Henry and I have been on lots of adventures together and is SOOO broken in and shaped to my skull, not to mention the overall quality and lineage to the 4th film, I would feel like cheating - anyone ever feel this way?

In any case, I love this Akubra. The liner and sweat band are gorgeous and overall, I love the color and how it looks on me.
For certain I'll be getting a black one and one day, the brown (i'm also curious on the actual color of the brown in person as I've heard it comes a tad dark).
On to the pics...
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Interesting to me to read this^^ because just two days ago I redid my Tawny Fawn Fed IV from Raiders to LC, widening out the bottom of the front pinch.

I'm slightly ambivalent about it, but will leave it for a while to see how I feel about it.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

It takes a few days of getting used to a new style bash. I really like how the LC bash looks on the Akubra and also how well it compliments my head shape.
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

The more I look at both of our hats, the more I like the LC pinch.

I just now modified my carbon gray, also. It's now about half way between a Raiders and an LC.

So my brown is Raiders, Tawny Fawn is LC, and carbon gray is midway.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

That hat looks terrific. Congrats! :tup:
Whitman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Whitman »

Very nice hat...set off sharply by the black ribbon.
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

Petition to rename the Federation fedora the "Forderation" fedora. :TOH:
SteelEyeball
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SteelEyeball »

Hey all! I've been following this forum for some time and I held back making an account until I hat something to show off. Now, I proudly present my first ever hat, the Akubra Federation IV Deluxe, thanks to my wonderful girlfriend :TOH:

Prior to this, I have never bashed, or even touched a hat. Let me know your thoughts on it!
I look forward to being a part of this great community. :)
Last edited by SteelEyeball on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Welcome aboard. :TOH: We indeed have a great community here.

Your hat looks great, well done. :clap:

Please be reminded of the rule on picture size. RULE: Not to exceed 640x480 pixels.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Hi, SteelEyeball, and WELCOME to the venture of what seems like a never ceasing quest for Indy gear. :H:

What a great hat to start out with! For a first bash attempt, you certainly did a stellar job in making it become a true prize to behold. My sincere congratulations to you, sir :TOH: :clap:
SteelEyeball
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SteelEyeball »

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the welcome! :D
I had trouble figuring out how to change the picture size at first but I'll be sure to watch that, thanks for letting me know!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

You did a good job on that bash, and it looks like just a fit! All I would add, is to work on the sides, that: < >
define those "jaw bones" as I call it, that help with the overall look. Good job! ;) :tup:
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Hey, Steel, welcome, and I think you did a great job with the hat.