Dorfman Pacific Hat Question:

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Dorfman Pacific Hat Question:

Post by Captain D »

Hi all,

I recently received a Dorfman Pacific (fur felt version), and I was simply curious to see if this brand of hat can be shaped/blocked to fit a more screen-accurate appearance, by chance. If so, any tips/suggestions on how to proceed from here? For those with more skills/experience/expertise than I, are there any members here that have actually had another member here mail them their hat to shape/block out for them?

I'm not much of a 'hat' guy here on the site, but when I had seen one of these DF Indy hats for sale at a store I happened to be in, and tried it on, it just looked and felt really comfortable. I'm all good with the way it looks now for the most part, but I was just curious to see if it could be done for the sake of asking.

Thank you for your time and for any and all replies,
Aaron
IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Dorfman Pacific Hat Question:

Post by IndyJedi »

Just apply some steam (boiling water on a stove works) to soften it up. It's easy to reshape the diamond on top , front pinch and brim.
:TOH:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

There is that or you could get a Hatter like John Penman to reblock it for you. So wait a second, do you want the brim to be shaped too? If that is the case, than you could get Mr. Penman to help you with that.

Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I would proceed with caution. Generally you can change the way a hat that was originally blocked with an open crown (I.e. on that looks like a tall bowler with no creases or center dent) is creased to some extent without reblocking and starting over but my understanding is that DP "moulds" its hats on a press, rather than blocking them open crown and creasing them. That being the case trying to change the teardrop crown to a simple dent might make a mess out of the hat.

Also I'm not familiar with the felt on their fur felt version and it might react badly to steam.

Check with a professional hatter like John Penman before trying anything. John is very helpful if you call him on the phone. He's so busy sometimes it's hard to get an email reply.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

'Thank you' for the reply gents!

I can certainly give Mr. Penman a call, but in the meantime, for those who have worked with him before - would you know off-hand how much he may charge ball-park for a re-blocking/shaping?

Thank you again for the info!
Aaron
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Since you kinda like it the way it is. I would suggest leaving it the way it is. 1, it wouldn't be worth the price to reblock it. 2, it's a bit of a risk of that thing not going though a true re-block. Live with it the way it is and enjoy it. Save thatnre-block money for a upgrade to something better and more SA.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

That's probably the best advice you're going to get too. A reblock costs most of the price of a Federation and almost half what a custom made hat from David Garrison or Northwest will set you back. And if you go that way you have TWO. :D

(I hesitate to use the word "upgrade" since it suggests that your new hat is "less than" another. If you like it, and you like to wear it that's all that really counts.)
Last edited by Ridgerunner58 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Yeah. Why don't you keep it the way it is and then upgrade and yet still keep the old one. That way, once you work up for more hats, you could show people how you went from one hat to the best looking hat. Heck I got a hat that was different and I still have it(being approximately 2 years since I received that hat) and it is still cool to have. Anyway, start in your own steps, work up.

Regards from an extraordinary gentleman: baddates1
IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyJedi »

Here's video that may help if you decide to re-shape it yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6teKY8gGHfM#t=78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Dorfman is stiffer than the Adventurer shown and will need more steam to soften it up.
I've re-shaped 2 DP's and a Coyles following this method.
:tup:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thank you again guys for the replies and info! I was unaware that the re-blocking process was going to be that pricey. So, yes, I would agree too to let it be or try to provide some steam myself to shape it slightly and carefully.

I used to own an Adventurebilt beaver felt Indy, an absolutely great hat all round,' but it never looked good on me - it just seemed too high/tall. Although I realize that both hats are 'fedoras' and shouldn't look all that much different, the Dorfman Pacific non-SA design (not as tall) seemed to look and feel better on me personally. Thank you again for the replies and guidance gents! :tup:

Best regards,
Aaron
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Can you post pics of you wearing both hats?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

IndyJedi wrote:Here's video that may help if you decide to re-shape it yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6teKY8gGHfM#t=78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Dorfman is stiffer than the Adventurer shown and will need more steam to soften it up.
I've re-shaped 2 DP's and a Coyles following this method.
:tup:

I really strange that they are suggesting to steam the under side of the brim. You should always keep the steam on the top side of the hat. You risk shrinking the leather sweatband and drying it out.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thank you again for the tip there BendingOak, :tup: . I'll probably get after it within the next few weeks I can post an update if you'd like (plus install a new darker ribbon & some fullers earth, perhaps). As far as the AB fedora goes - I sold it about two years ago as it was like having a few hundred bucks sitting in the drawer and not being able to spend it, ;) .

Thanks again and Happy New Year to all!
Aaron
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I finally got around to darkening the ribbon and will attempt to steam the front brow somewhat. But, as a side note, I happened to see an episode of Young Indy and surprisingly - the DP fedora seems to be (to me at least) a very close match. I'll post again with the steam update!
Best regards,
Aaron
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ribbon to small and the brim is way to small for the young Indy hat.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I should have noted with regards to the young Indy style version not having much of a tight front pinch as the DP fails to have, as well ;)