Time to play: Name That Shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Time to play: Name That Shirt

Post by RayROnline »

So many knowledgeable people here, I hope one or more will step up and fill in the blanks for me...

Who is the maker of the Indy Raiders replica shirt with the label that reads

Eastern Costume Co.
Replicas

And are they still around? Where?

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Time to play: Name That Shirt

Post by Michaelson »

https://www.easterncostume.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

It would seem so by the name, but I see nothing about Indiana Jones shirts or costuming. Not sure I'm convinced... :?
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

RayROnline wrote:
It would seem so by the name, but I see nothing about Indiana Jones shirts or costuming. Not sure I'm convinced... :?
You win, Michaelson. I called them. :notworthy:
Their head taylor said they made shirts for the original movie, but he didn't put tags in them to sell due to copyright issues..
So, who made replicas of their shirt label and all (purchased 2nd hand some time ago on COW)?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah. I know. This ain't my first rodeo. ;)

As to whom put the replica labels IN the shirts....who really knows? :-k Re-sellers were a dime a dozen, and lot of folks came out of the woodwork, bought stuff from original manufacturers, put their own tags in them in defiance of LFL licensing, made their money, then disappeared into the dark. USW was one that found quite a few of their jackets with other fly-by-night company tags inside. Finding and enforcing the copyright law with folks like that was next to impossible.

It happened a LOT 'back in the day' before Lucas got control of his franchise merchandising....well, as good as he and his legal team could. :roll:

Regards! M
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Good to know. The main reason I'm so curious is the one I have is the best replica shirt I own and I have Todds several editions, magnoli S, what price glory, and Adventure built. There's one other maker, whose name in lutes me, who's sure I've been trying to get forever. He keeps saying he's going to make another run and then I'll be on the list to know when it happens it's been a couple years now. Probably why I can't even think of his name at the moment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Ray,

Just for giggles, if you haven't already elsewhere, would you post some pics of it? :-k :)
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Yes, pics please :tup:
Cajunkraut wrote:Ray,

Just for giggles, if you haven't already elsewhere, would you post some pics of it? :-k :)
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Duck9000 wrote:Yes, pics please :tup:
Cajunkraut wrote:Ray,

I have not. I'll shoot a few tomorrow with the sunlight and put it next to a WPG and maybe a TODDS (but which color) or Adventurebuilt.

I think the other name I was looking for was Azuma. Does that sound correct?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

It's Azuma...

It's a (clever) play on his name, since Azuma reads 東 in Japanese/Chinese and means "East"....Hence, the companies name being Eastern Clothing.....Rather well played I thought..
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Makes sense. His reproductions are excellent from what I've seen and read, so that doesn't surprise me at all.

I wonder if he knew his was a play on an actual costumers name involved in the franchise? I'm sure he did.

Regards! M
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

I haven't forgotten about those pics. What I have forgotten is where I put my camera #-o I'll do something soon even if I have to use my iPad.

Meanwhile. I emailed Azuma and got a quick, very nice reply. The order in question from last year still has not run due to the small size/ interest, so it is put at the bottom of the list by the maker. He reiterated that I am on the list to know when it happens :clap:

If you are interested, I think you should let him know, if you haven't already.

To Be Continued
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm looking into possibly adding the WPG shirt to my collection. My one and only shirt that I have is the AB, which I love the design but always wanted a shirt with a lighter color that didn't look so khaki.
If anyone can advise on the AB vs the WPG (comparison pics would be helpful) it would be greatly appreciated!
arklover
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by arklover »

Im with you...it seems for the most authentic Raiders trousers..it's Todd's costumes...but who is closest as far as the Raiders shirt...What Price Glory?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Asking who makes the best shirt is like asking who makes the best jacket - everyone sees a different nuance, especially in color. Which can vary by batch even with the same vendor. :?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

### for tat arguments have long been a part of the forum. Used to, you mention a jacket maker, people inevitably would choose up sides, and the war would ensue. I've found that the best approach to this is to simply list all viable options, those that really do offer quality and a reasonable amount of screen accuracy, and then let the person decide from there. Why discount any vendor, if they make a good product?

As of now, Todd makes a nice shirt, though the tint is a bit on the darker side; wested offers one, though their shirts of the past had a greenish tint; WPG make a really good, stone shade, but they are out of Large's at the moment. I am not sure if AB still offers one? Mag's has been a solid choice; Azuma makes them from time to time, though you have to catch a special run, no?
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Texan Scott wrote:### for tat arguments have long been a part of the forum. Used to, you mention a jacket maker, people inevitably would choose up sides, and the war would ensue. I've found that the best approach to this is to simply list all viable options, those that really do offer quality and a reasonable amount of screen accuracy, and then let the person decide from there. Why discount any vendor, if they make a good product?

As of now, Todd makes a nice shirt, though the tint is a bit on the darker side; wested offers one, though their shirts of the past had a greenish tint; WPG make a really good, stone shade, but they are out of Large's at the moment. I am not sure if AB still offers one? Mag's has been a solid choice; Azuma makes them from time to time, though you have to catch a special run, no?
Well said TS :clap: I can just add that within the last few months of last year I investigated both Azuma and AB. AB said it's going to happen and he'll let me know. But that's basically what he also told me a year ago and it hasn't happened.

Azuma was pretty specific that his cost is a major factor and he has to reach a certain number of definite interest requests/ notifications from here. If we want an Azuma run, I suggest we get a lot of folks to email him so he can bottom line it with his suppliers. Personally, I would LOVE to have another of his Raiders shirts (or 2)!
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

RayROnline wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:### for tat arguments have long been a part of the forum. Used to, you mention a jacket maker, people inevitably would choose up sides, and the war would ensue. I've found that the best approach to this is to simply list all viable options, those that really do offer quality and a reasonable amount of screen accuracy, and then let the person decide from there. Why discount any vendor, if they make a good product?

Well said TS :clap: I can just add that within the last few months of last year I investigated both Azuma and AB. AB said it's going to happen and he'll let me know. But that's basically what he also told me a year ago and it hasn't happened.

Azuma was pretty specific that his cost is a major factor and he has to reach a certain number of definite interest requests/ notifications from here. If we want an Azuma run, I suggest we get a lot of folks to email him so he can bottom line it with his suppliers. Personally, I would LOVE to have another of his Raiders shirts (or 2)!

Of course, it's an entirely personal opinion, but Azuma always comes up top in my list of "best shirts"....The reasons are fairly obvious..He makes only a certain number, which means he can afford to go "ultra nerd" and make the design spot on, as well as fine tuning with our help here as he designs the next line....That combination means that what you get is as precise as we can tell with what we know about the shirt, including colours (different opinions, so the majority voice was used), and small details....Then, the run is so small that Azuma is in control of the final product at all stages of the game....
That can't be said for anyone else, except perhaps Magnoli, who'd be my second choice...It's the designs made with maniac detail obsession, and the runs small enough to allow those details in, that make the shirts "spot on", in my opinion, so those two makers get the "award" for me..

After them, there's a lot of "pretty decent" and close enough shirts....Not exact, or maniacally made, but hitting the right spots more or less.....It just depends on the level of "nerd" you're aiming for with your Indy shirts...

Essentially... ;)
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

And don't forget... there's no need to just get one color...

:TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I'll take one in stone, light tan and light khaki. ;)
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Fantastic post, Indy! Great comparison shots. :clap: You should consider linking or adding that to your web site. Those are some great options. I've always owned your Stone color only, but now I see how I need to consider some other colors!