RIP Joe Peters

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

RIP Joe Peters

Post by BendingOak »

Just wanted to pass on the information that Joe Peters from Peters brothers passed away this past weekend.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RIP Joe Peter

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's very sad news. I never had the pleasure of interacting with Joe, but by all accounts he was a genuine gentleman.

Prayers for all his many friends and the Peters family.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: RIP Joe Peter

Post by WConly »

Thanks John, for the information. Joe was a truly wonderful man. A treasure to do business with and an honest, sincere gentleman! He will be missed. All condolences to his family and his many friends, who in turn will morn his passing. W>
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RIP Joe Peters

Post by Mike »

Sad news indeed. As others have said, an honest and sincere business man. Maker of the bullet-proof fedora. ;)

:(
Banky
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Banky »

never had the pleasure of meeting or speaking with Mr. Peters but he seemed to make a great hat and was well regarded. Condolences to his family.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I received an email from Shane at the shop this morning regarding Joe's passing this past Sunday.

John sent me notification by PM last night. (Thank you, John.)

Words escape me. Joe was one of the kindest souls we had the pleasure of doing business with in our hobby WAY back in the days of Indyfan.com.

He was one of the very first to step up to the plate to start the custom hat creations for us through contact with Steve Delk and myself.

His shop was also one of the very first locations of the very first organized Indy fan summit when MK was webmaster here. Joe had photos posted on his website for years of that gathering.

Heck, he was even gracious enough to name his Indy Borsalino after ME, of all people! The "Michaelson" is still cataloged on his site for sale!

http://www.pbhats.com/private/INDY_BORSALINO/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe was a fine man, and he and his wife Nelda will be missed terribly by this writer.

Shane said Joe kept a photo of my wife and me on the wall of the shop from our visit from way back in 2004. That's friendship.

Shane also said at this time Brad, Joe's grandson, will be taking over the reins of the shop....but other than that no other details are known.

Goodbye, old friend. :(

HIGHEST regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Thank you for shaing that with all of us M.
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Wow. I was at that summint way back when, and he was so nice to all of us. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Here's a photo by ITG from 2004 when I visited the shop:

LtoR: Nelda Peters, Joe Peters Sr., Michaelson, Mark the hatter (PB employee), ITG

Regard! Michaelson
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

Sad to hear. Joe always found time to talk hats or cars when I was in the shop. Those of you who had a tour of the building with Joe know what a special treat that was. He took care of his customers as if they were family. I'll stand a little taller in my PB's from now on. Thanks, Joe!
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

So sad to see him go. One of the nicest men I ever met.

Goodbye, Joe Sr.

Pyr.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

THANK you, Bill! I've been looking for that picture. Do you recall the year!

That's one of the very first 'official' Indyfan summits that ever took place.....Peters Brothers Hat Shop.

Regards! Michaelson
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Michaelson wrote:THANK you, Bill! I've been looking for that picture. Do you recall the year!

That's one of the very first 'official' Indyfan summits that ever took place.....Peters Brothers Hat Shop.

Regards! Michaelson
The year was 2002. (Has it really been THAT long!?!) Here are a few more photos from the event.

Joe Peters was so kind to let us invade his store that day. Good memories.

Cheers,
Pyr.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Great shots, thanks for sharing.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

The things I remember about venders are interesting, especially when they are just truly good people -- it just rings from their voices and their words. Joe, Nelda, Joe Jr. and all the others on the staff there with whom I have worked with over the past always have shown great interest in not just my order, questions, requests, etc., but as to how I was doing and my family and the like. To put it simply: Joe and Nelda were just 'good people!' God's speed and comfort to them both! W>
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I ordered from PB back in 2004 on recommendation from Indygear and I have to say it was a beautiful hat !! It was a "Raiders" model and looked the part !! I'm an old school guy and Joe's business goes back many years to when these type of fedoras were new, I always felt he kept the pride of his family and the pride of the craft alive. God bless your family and all my sincere condolences.
micsteam
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

Just came in here to say, I just got a call from PB about this. Very sad indeed. Never met him, but always heard good things about him.

Apparently it was heart failure. He had problems and had a pacemaker, but apparently his heart eventually gave out.

RIP :TOH:
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Best Wishes to his family.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

So sad. Had the pleasure of meeting him in the store just last year.
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

He will be missed. My best wishes to the Peters family.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

It was a beautiful service. Big turn-out, and of course, lots of hats present. We were actually all asked to wear our hats indoors for the service. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Peters family. Joe was a good employer, a great hatmaker, and the best of men. He left a big hole in the world and our hearts. :(
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks for letting us know how the funeral went, Gregory.

Regards! Michaelson
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

RIP Joe Peters

Post by Strider »

Peters Bros. was my first "real" Indy hat, and the first I remember going: "ooh, I want that!" over. RIP Joe Sr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

I was in Ft. Worth on business a couple of weeks ago and had the chance to visit Peter's Bros Hats.

The nice people there told us that Joe's son and grandson intend to carry on running the store - hopefully PB will be a great place to get hats for some generations to come.

While we were there, my friend Kate got herself a Stetson western (I took along a late 40's Stetson 25)

Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

I remember meeting Joe over a decade ago when I went to the shop on a trip out to Bowie Texas. He was an exemplary example of those in the trade and carried the torch well for his family business. He will be missed.