Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by Duck9000 »

It looks great. Congrats! :tup:
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Could someone provide an Authentic lamb vs. Shrunken lamb side by side comparative pic? I mean in daylight. Thanks for any help. :TOH:
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

I just bought a size 40 Wested Jacket from Gorak :D .

This is going to be my "test" jacket for fit and measures, since I'm planning to get a custom hero, from one of the trusted vendors here.

Can't wait to get it and start this beloved project! :TOH:
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

I have a regular custom raiders jacket from wested in authentic lamb that Im going to use as my everyday jacket but I want to get a hero version for conventions and such. What is the closest leather color to the one in the movie...I looked at some older posts and I really liked the dark brown lambskin or the seal brown lamb but it looks like they both are not offered any more. Any suggestions ?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Their current shrunken lamb is very nice and adventure-y. It has texture, but more subtle and it just looks nice and vintage. The color is lighter than the seal brown or dark brown, but as we've seen in some of the "making of" segments, it's likely very close to spot on accurate to the original.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Seems like they got rid of the shrunken lamb as well...only ones they offer is

1. Crispe lamb (not a fan of)
2.Standard lamb (different then "authentic lamb" ?)
3.Soft cow
4.goat
5. pre distressed cow
6.Horsehide

Bit sad really like the brown seal and dark brown lamb
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

No, shrunken lambskin is still available. It is just on separate page.

http://www.wested.com/new-shrunken-lamb ... -505-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Yeah i took a look at some of the pictures of the SL..not to thrilled with it. Really liked the seal brown lamb....Its a tad darker then the authentic lamb and slightly lighter then the dark brown. Really looks like the perfect raiders color to me. I emailed wested to see if they could do it in that color but they seem to rarely ever respond to my emails and when they do its a very vague answer...
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

chuck2003 wrote:... I emailed wested to see if they could do it in that color but they seem to rarely ever respond to my emails and when they do its a very vague answer...
Well I'm glad it's not just me. That was my response over the years also. That's why I never bought one from them. The Wested I have came from a COW member in the bazaar. It turns out to fit perfectly and it is currently my favorite of many makers jackets.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Yeah...I mean when it was all said and done and I got my first jacket from them I was happy with what I purchased. T
Last edited by chuck2003 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

At least I'm not alone with the emailing issues.

And no, I didn't try calling. It's considerably more difficult for me to do so internationally, and I shouldn't be forced to as long as they solicit email communication.

They obviously don't care, but I won't be giving them one more penny of my hard-earned money.

End of rant. :#:
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Yeah thats my big issue international calls are expensive so I have been avoiding giving them a call. I would really like to find out if they can still do the seal brown lamb and I dont know what size sleeves to order due to the droop in the shoulders.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

chuck2003 wrote:Yeah thats my big issue international calls are expensive so I have been avoiding giving them a call. I would really like to find out if they can still do the seal brown lamb and I dont know what size sleeves to order due to the droop in the shoulders.
Two of my questions almost verbatim. Good luck getting a meaningful response to one or both.
MAlltheman
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by MAlltheman »

Hey guys new to the board (well kinda been lurking for a bit) and I just ordered my wested hero a couple days ago in goat! Hope I got measurements all right!! Ill post pics when it arrives
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Sometimes there can be a some drawbacks with placing these orders. I've found Peter to be the best source when ordering these Indy jackets. Usually he will take the time to answer any questions you have.

It's 6 to 1 and 1/2 dozen of the other, but they have attempted to duplicate the "off the shoulders" effect that we see in film, with this Hero project. The problem has always been how much? I would typically order a jacket with sleeves around one inch shorter than my normal size. I know that there is some level of uncertainty, especially with first time orders, but if you have questions, if you are still unsure, then order your normal size, if you have a good alterations person close by. They can always adjust the jacket for you.

Used to, with the Raiders jackets of the past, guys would receive them, and then say...'doesn't wear or drape like the film jacket'. This is because most ALL of the eccentricities of the original had not been incorporated into the aftermarket fan jackets. Absent was the off the shoulders and the configuration of the collar that made the jacket seem as though it was about to slide off your back. Hence, there was no vertical pleating of the leather material in front or off the neck type effect, and typically these jackets would fit like those found for sale in department stores. They usually fit well, just didn't look or drape 'spot on'. As one who has been involved with these jackets for several years, Wested is now making their best quality and most accurate jackets, than they have ever made. It just depends on if you want these quirks or not. If not, order a custom RoLA jacket, or a Raiders jacket with the old patterns. Then you don't have to worry about these eccentricities.

Anyway, to me, I'd rather pay $300 for a custom jacket and leather of choice in one of these Raiders jackets, because as you know, you can spend a WHOLE LOT more. Sure there are some ordering pitfalls, some of it is due to the fact that they can get very busy for film or TV, but I believe that if you hang in there, you can get what you want. I've been there. ;)
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Texan Scott wrote:Sometimes there can be a some drawbacks with placing these orders. I've found Peter to be the best source when ordering these Indy jackets. Usually he will take the time to answer any questions you have.

It's 6 to 1 and 1/2 dozen of the other, but they have attempted to duplicate the "off the shoulders" effect that we see in film, with this Hero project. The problem has always been how much? I would typically order a jacket with sleeves around one inch shorter than my normal size. I know that there is some level of uncertainty, especially with first time orders, but if you have questions, if you are still unsure, then order your normal size, if you have a good alterations person close by. They can always adjust the jacket for you.

Used to, with the Raiders jackets of the past, guys would receive them, and then say...'doesn't wear or drape like the film jacket'. This is because most ALL of the eccentricities of the original had not been incorporated into the aftermarket fan jackets. Absent was the off the shoulders and the configuration of the collar that made the jacket seem as though it was about to slide off your back. Hence, there was no vertical pleating of the leather material in front or off the neck type effect, and typically these jackets would fit like those found for sale in department stores. They usually fit well, just didn't look or drape 'spot on'. As one who has been involved with these jackets for several years, Wested is now making their best quality and most accurate jackets, than they have ever made. It just depends on if you want these quirks or not. If not, order a custom RoLA jacket, or a Raiders jacket with the old patterns. Then you don't have to worry about these eccentricities.

Anyway, to me, I'd rather pay $300 for a custom jacket and leather of choice in one of these Raiders jackets, because as you know, you can spend a WHOLE LOT more. Sure there are some ordering pitfalls, some of it is due to the fact that they can get very busy for film or TV, but I believe that if you hang in there, you can get what you want. I've been there. ;)
Thanks for the advice....I have emailed gemma and peter multiple times...even messaged peter on cow and still no response. I would really like to see if they can make me a very thin seal brown lamb jacket with shorter back straps (most pictures I've seen the back straps look obnoxiously long). So I really dont want to order if with out asking. I'd call them but international calls are to expensive.... :( :cry:
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

chuck2003 wrote:... I'd call them but international calls are to expensive.... :( :cry:

Here's a trick for int'l calls.

Verizon (and I assume other carriers) have an international monthly subscription that drastically lowers rates. You can subscribe, make your calls, then cancel and you will only be charged a part of the monthly fee for the days used. A few bucks. This gets around the big fees for international calls using a typical phone plan and it is completely legal. In fact, it was originally suggested to me by a Verizon Support Tech.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Star tec. highly recomnended especially
for international calls.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Finally got ahold of gemma. According to her "standard lambskin" "authentic lambskin" and "seal brown lamb" are all the same leather/color. She also said to order 1"inch less then you normally would to compensate for the shoulder droop. As far as shortening the straps she said to let her know how long I want them.

Looks like ill be buying a second jacket :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I'll give you an example. Normally, I would order a 25 1/2 back length in a RoLA pattern, but with this Hero-around 24". Sleeves are about right, according to what she is saying. The other option is to have them make the shoulder/sleeve config. more like a normal jacket, which is what I did with the dark brown Hero in goatskin. Pics were posted a couple of pages back. It just depends if you want all the quirks of the movie jacket or not?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I would concur on that, don't over order the length on this jacket.

My LC is 24.5 and fits perfect. My newest Hero is a 24.5 and is about 1.5" too long on my short arse frame.

Shame cos the leather itself rocks.

Ok, here is my latest one… Slightly longer in the body and the washed lamb.

My office has daylight bulbs and this is without flash. It’s about what it looks like in real life, it’s possibly slightly warmer/redder coloured in person.

It has had a hot water shower.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Kt Templar wrote:I would concur on that, don't over order the length on this jacket.

My LC is 24.5 and fits perfect. My newest Hero is a 24.5 and is about 1.5" too long on my short arse frame.

Shame cos the leather itself rocks.

Ok, here is my latest one… Slightly longer in the body and the washed lamb.

My office has daylight bulbs and this is without flash. It’s about what it looks like in real life, it’s possibly slightly warmer/redder coloured in person.

It has had a hot water shower.
So both the arm length and back length should be ordered about a inch less then you would normally ?

I have a regular custom raiders jacket from wested. I ordered this jacket in the following measurments
Jacket Size:38
Sleeve Length 25.5
Back Length:25.5
And this is how it fits

for the hero jacket do you think I should go Jacket:38 , sleeve 24.5 back length 24.5 ?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Hey KT, what gives? Your pumpkin head disappeared in that third pic! Did the headless horseman take it back? :lol:
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

chuck2003 wrote:Finally got ahold of gemma. According to her "standard lambskin" "authentic lambskin" and "seal brown lamb" are all the same leather/color. She also said to order 1"inch less then you normally would to compensate for the shoulder droop. As far as shortening the straps she said to let her know how long I want them.

I'm glad someone finally answered that is so many words. I've wondered that for years about shoulders. Was it figured in or did you compensate. ####, now I have to start thinking about getting another jacket...again ](*,)
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

chuck2003 wrote:Finally got ahold of gemma. According to her "standard lambskin" "authentic lambskin" and "seal brown lamb" are all the same leather/color. She also said to order 1"inch less then you normally would to compensate for the shoulder droop. As far as shortening the straps she said to let her know how long I want them.

Did you have to call her?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Chuck, it depends on how you want the jacket to fit, but the Raiders jacket was basically waist length. Do you think that the jacket you have now is too long, or about right for you? In fact, I would say, 24" back, even 23 1/2". Then again, it depends on how you like it. Sleeves, conservatively, 24 1/2 even 24 1/4".
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Cajunkraut wrote:

Did you have to call her?
Actually no....I think I may have cracked the divinci code LOL. The first time i tried emailing them the subject was like "Questions about hero jacket". Never got a response. Sent that same email atleast 5-6 times never got an email back. So just for fun I changed the subject to "want to order a jacket". Got a response the next day hah.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

RayROnline wrote:

I'm glad someone finally answered that is so many words. I've wondered that for years about shoulders. Was it figured in or did you compensate. ####, now I have to start thinking about getting another jacket...again ](*,)
This is the exact response I got from her

"Hello Chuck,
Thank you for your email, I have spoken with Peter and he would suggest you ordering a jacket with the sleeve 1 inch short for the droop of the shoulders, I would suggest for you to order the authentic brown lambskin as this would be the closest to the movie colour , all of our authentic brown lambskin jackets would be the same colour, however from batch to batch the colour does vere slightly.
If you wanted the side straps short we can make them to the length that you have requested so when ordering please let us know the length you require.
The thinnest leather that we offer would be the authentic brown lambskin, if you would like to see a couple of samples I would be happy to post them out to you by you covering the postage cost.
Cheers Gemma
"

So my sleeves normally are 25.5 so it looks like you would just subtract 1 inch. So I would order a 24.5 sleeve length
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Texan Scott wrote:Chuck, it depends on how you want the jacket to fit, but the Raiders jacket was basically waist length. Do you think that the jacket you have now is too long, or about right for you? In fact, I would say, 24" back, even 23 1/2". Then again, it depends on how you like it. Sleeves, conservatively, 24 1/2 even 24 1/4".

I like the way my Raiders Jacket fits as far as the back length. Does the way the shoulders are set up effect the back length as well ? As in you would also have to compensate the back length ? Or just order the same back length as my raiders ?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Both the Novak when it was being made and the Wested Hero are a different pattern than the Raiders jacket of old. The sizing adjustments mentioned should be a much be.tter fit.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

I asked Gemma exactly that question and she said no, just the sleeves, so the back length should remain the same
chuck2003 wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:Chuck, it depends on how you want the jacket to fit, but the Raiders jacket was basically waist length. Do you think that the jacket you have now is too long, or about right for you? In fact, I would say, 24" back, even 23 1/2". Then again, it depends on how you like it. Sleeves, conservatively, 24 1/2 even 24 1/4".

I like the way my Raiders Jacket fits as far as the back length. Does the way the shoulders are set up effect the back length as well ? As in you would also have to compensate the back length ? Or just order the same back length as my raiders ?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Niel wrote:Here's a quick photo.

Brand new WPG shirt (washed out from sunlight, darker in person) and Wested Hero jacket from previously mentioned eBay listing. It's in like new condition.

Hat is a vintage early to mid-50's Royal Stetson Ivy League. On the fence about aquiring a SA fedora.

Jeans are new Diesels. Not SA ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Looks good! Great tones to your jacket in this shot! And, FWIW: I like that hat with it -- it may not be an 'Indy,' as such, but it has a true adventure look to it and certainly fits the character of the time period! Good find there! I would love to run across a hat like this one :TOH: ! W>
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Duck9000 wrote:I asked Gemma exactly that question and she said no, just the sleeves, so the back length should remain the same
chuck2003 wrote:

Hello Gemma,

One last question, Is the back measurements affected by the droop in the shoulders. There seems to be some confusion on the Club Obi Wan forums. Some people seem to suggest to also order an inch less then you normally would. One guy said that his Custom raiders was ordered with the same length as his hero for the back measurements. However the hero is about an inch and a half longer.

What do you suggest ? My raiders jacket you guys made me had a 25.5 inch back length and I felt that the length was perfect for me.

Let me know; I should be putting in my order in on Friday
Chuck

Dear Chuck,
I have spoken to Peter regarding this and he said you can order this with an inch short , but the jacket will only be made to the sizing you have requested, we always do recommend ordering the sleeve length 1 inch short on the hero for the oversized shoulders .
Cheers Gemma
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It pays to listen to those of us who speak from experience. I try to help people so they won't have to order multiple jackets, thus saving others money, or the hassle of alterations. The Rola pattern is different from the Hero. When the Hero project was first getting off the ground, I ordered one in dark goatskin, and it was 1 1/2 - 2" too long in the torso, sleeves were around 1" too long as well. KT has also displayed this problem in photos. It's happened to him too. I never thought I'd need a 24" back length, but that has been the case with the Hero. BK and the older TN jackets were the same. Others thought the "official" Hero jacket specs were also too short for HF, a guy who is supposed to be 6'1", but the quirks reside in this specific jacket pattern, based on the Raiders film jacket.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Very true. I read every single post on this thread -and other threads too- before place my order. It's a good thing to use other members experience, IMHO
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Thought is was about time I posted my Hero in "Crispe" lambskin. I was lucky enough to pick this one up on clearance a little over a year ago. The measurements were right on for me so I couldn't pass it up. I must say I really enjoy this hide. Very soft to the touch and comfortable to wear. It has a rich "authentic brown" color with some slight reddish undertones depending on the light. Lining is cotton body with satin sleeves which I prefer. Single piece gussets, brass sliders, and all that jazz. This is one of those jackets that you get compliments on while out and about.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Bogie19 ... 20Lambskin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That is a SHARP looking jacket, Josh! :M: :tup:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...gotta second that! We've never seen that many crispe Heros.

Looks like it is wearing well.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Man! This really is a nice one! Love how the 'red's' in the color of the hide pop out on this type of hide! Really great looking and fits you perfectly! Nice call! Great texture! :tup: , :tup: ! W>
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Just thought I'd post some updated photos of my Crispe Hero. This jacket is a little over two years old and has seen a fair amount of use and abuse.

kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I wasn't too sure about that crispe lamb when it first came out, but, that looks amazing, Bdgsi11!

It looks like a 40 year old jacket that's been around the world three times over.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...or a three year old jacket that has been around the world 40 times over... :mrgreen:
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I like that comment, thanks. This Wested is the thickest jacket in my collection and is quite literally built like a tank. The appearance that it has now developed can be attributed to the fact that it is vegetable tanned, has been in constant use since I first got it, has seen all types of weather, and received very little care because I was convinced of its durability. Not ONE OUNCE of artificial distressing went into this jacket, just straight constant use and the magic of Father Time. ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Bdgsi11 wrote: Not ONE OUNCE of artificial distressing went into this jacket, just straight constant use and the magic of Father Time.
The way they ALL should be done. :M: :tup:

HIGH regard! Michaelson
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Texan Scott wrote:...or a three year old jacket that has been around the world 40 times over... :mrgreen:
Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk! :P
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Gorak wrote:Pleat depth is 1.5
Gussets are standard. Only info I gave them was my size, sleeve length, and back length. I then sent two e-mails, stating that I wanted it made in the thinnest most lightweight leather available at the time. Even after the first one, when Gemma replied that it was possible, I restated it again in a second e-mail and Gemma confirmed the information.
Here are the last set of pics as they are with some gear so that should be the top of the standards. I wanted to try something different instead of just standing around so I tried some action shots but using my timer on the camera made it very difficult so I put in one that came out the best.....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 184629.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then the regulars to show how the jacket has just relaxed into me..I am thru wetting ang distressing..the rest will be natural life working it in..no babying this jacket. I really wanna see it roughed up.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 183503.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 180727.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 181855.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 180542.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been wearing it everyday even in the heat. Has been very comfortable.
Just to be sure, you said that's the goat?
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

jkeene71 wrote:Just picked up my Hero in original dark goat. First impression... WOW! :D Love the leather!! For me it's the perfect weight and
color. More info and Pics to come
Yes, Great color!

Can you give me some idea of the weight as compared to other jackets designs. I have a Hero SL. I would call it medium heavy. A Todds (latest design) is a bit lighter. My Kelso is probably right between the 2. I'm hoping to get that look in a springtime weight as opposed to winter weight, if you get my drift.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

sofianeomari wrote:Thank you, the hat is a christy's adventurer.

We thought that the jacket is heavy like a shell but the jacket is very soft and lightweight, this is just the appearance. :TOH:

Sofiane ;)
Just going through this thread and I must say...YES that had Does look good on you. :clap:
It fits your face. The brim isn't too wide...which is the aspect I usually fight with. I have never had a Christy's, perhaps I will check it out myself.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

RayROnline wrote:
jkeene71 wrote:Just picked up my Hero in original dark goat. First impression... WOW! :D Love the leather!! For me it's the perfect weight and
color. More info and Pics to come
Yes, Great color!

Can you give me some idea of the weight as compared to other jackets designs. I have a Hero SL. I would call it medium heavy. A Todds (latest design) is a bit lighter. My Kelso is probably right between the 2. I'm hoping to get that look in a springtime weight as opposed to winter weight, if you get my drift.
Since the dark brown goatskin purchase, it has become a favorite. As to its weight, it is made of thin db goat, but it is not such a light weight jacket. It might weigh just a tad less than your SL. If you are looking for more of a spring time, light weight jacket, the dark brown lamb is very thin. Very reminiscent to Todd's older generation jackets, but it is not flimsy, just light weight.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Since the dark brown goatskin purchase, it has become a favorite. As to its weight, it is made of thin db goat, but it is not such a light weight jacket. It might weigh just a tad less than your SL. If you are looking for more of a spring time, light weight jacket, the dark brown lamb is very thin. Very reminiscent to Todd's older generation jackets, but it is not flimsy, just light weight.
Good to know!