Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by MARQ »

I´m nearly buying (I gather) 2010 Todd´s Indy Jacket size XL it´s in the Bazaar,I´m wondering about the fit;44" chest,36" waist and 6´1 height.Anybody here in COW with similar size and jacket? I´d like to know how it fits.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

MARQ wrote:I´m nearly buying (I gather) 2010 Todd´s Indy Jacket size XL it´s in the Bazaar,I´m wondering about the fit;44" chest,36" waist and 6´1 height.Anybody here in COW with similar size and jacket? I´d like to know how it fits.
Waist and sleeve lengths may be a concern.

I'd call Todd's first. They'll know right away how their jacket fits your measurements.
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

Im 6 foot. 42 chest. 36 waist and the large fits perfectly. Sleeves are a bit short when driving but not much. An xl would fit fine for you i would guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

I sent a PM to Todd about the jacket and he didn´t recognize it as his product, even though it clearly has Todd Coyle batch in the jacket..and the pattern is the same he uses.It´s still in the Bazaar....what is this?!
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

DeWayne wrote:Here's my standard XL that I got just before Christmas. Pics are from right after I pulled it out of the box. It's worn in nicely.
(Yes, this is my avatar. :P )

Here's a link to my original review/pics of the jacket; http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36784
Where did you get that whip?

Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

I got these from the seller of this Todd jacket seems small as a XLarge from 2010?,seam across back:46 cm (18,1 inch) From sleeves cuff to shoulder seam: 60cm (23,6 inch),back-length is exact 26 inch (66cm), chest is 24 inch (60,5cm) and (from neck to cuff)sleeves are 31,5 inch (80cm) viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; here´s the jacket itself and according these dimensions its too small for my frame..how ever it looks bigger so.....HELP! :o I´d love to have that but I need to be sure.. :notworthy:
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

If the measurement seem too small its too small. If you wanted to look short that's kind of the Raiders look. But the sleeves, if they're too short that won't look good. I would make sure the seller has a return policy before going for this one. Or just get I knew todd jacket there are awesome and the material is so much better than the older ones. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

That word is new not knew. Please pardon my voice recognition software :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

RayROnline wrote:Or just get I knew todd jacket there are awesome and the material is so much better than the older ones. You won't be disappointed.
I second that.

Marq, consider a new one. I'm really happy with mine - you really can't beat the quality and accuracy for the price.

With the money you save (versus another jacket vendor), you could buy some nice like-new Aldens. ;) :lol:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

That´s a sales-speech if I ever seen one :) Ok I´ll try the new ones then,can you guys answer me this,this one thing VERY important matter to me,how much do the Todd jackets weigh? I´m in the belief that Todd Jackets are lightweight,other vise I´m not even considering buying one! :-k :-s
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

MARQ wrote:I got these from the seller of this Todd jacket seems small as a XLarge from 2010?,seam across back:46 cm (18,1 inch) From sleeves cuff to shoulder seam: 60cm (23,6 inch),back-length is exact 26 inch (66cm), chest is 24 inch (60,5cm) and (from neck to cuff)sleeves are 31,5 inch (80cm) viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; here´s the jacket itself and according these dimensions its too small for my frame..how ever it looks bigger so.....HELP! :o I´d love to have that but I need to be sure.. :notworthy:

As an XL most of those measurements seem really small. :-k

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

yes,yes,yes... :tup:
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

MARQ wrote:That´s a sales-speech if I ever seen one :) Ok I´ll try the new ones then,can you guys answer me this,this one thing VERY important matter to me,how much do the Todd jackets weigh? I´m in the belief that Todd Jackets are lightweight,other vise I´m not even considering buying one! :-k :-s
A few years back, that would be the case. Light like a wind breaker IMO. Due to the thin leather and Nylon lining which adds no real weight. Too light, I thought. The excellent cut didn't flow well.

But the latest is a bit heftier. The leather is somewhat thicker and feels much better quality. It also has a great pattern (for lack of the correct word). Still the same great color and cut.

This is not heavy like a motorcycle jacket, but it's not a wind breaker either. I think it's TODDS best ever. I liked it so much, I purchased a 2nd one to put away and save - just in case. I would call this med-light weight. On my bathroom scale when I pick up the jacket it adds 2 lbs. And that's not very accurate, FYI.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Marq,

Todd's lambskin lends itself to the drape and "flop" of the original Raiders jacket if that's important to you. It's a very soft, luxurious leather which needs little to no break-in. That's the style of the original jacket.

If you'd like something "heavier" and/or more durable, I'd check out a jacket in another leather, perhaps in (not always so heavy) goatskin or cowhide. If you're looking for Nepal warmth, you're gonna need to layer something underneath regardless of what it's made of.

Bar none, this is the most SA bang you're gonna get for your buck. If you don't like it, just return it. As an 'off the rack' jacket, I'd call them with your measurements and concerns beforehand though.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Totally awesome..2 pounds!! I like it,I really do.I already have heavier Wested and I am trying to get the details right regarding Todd´s far superior jacket.Looks like we have a winner here.Gonna get me a Todd. \:D/ Thank you guys! :TOH: :tup: :tup:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

MARQ wrote:Totally awesome..2 pounds!! I like it,I really do.I already have heavier Wested and I am trying to get the details right regarding Todd´s far superior jacket.Looks like we have a winner here.Gonna get me a Todd. \:D/ Thank you guys! :TOH: :tup: :tup:
FYI, if you need an XL, Todd's shows out of stock on the website, but are offering some on eBay.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Have I got news to you! Todd informed me that he has jackets in stock,they´ve just been too busy with other stuff to make any announcement.What other stuff he might have on his hands now,I wonder? :-k
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Here are just a couple quick shots of my Todd's. As most have stated this jacket is very light which is nice for the warmer months. I was surprised how slim cut this jacket is. I was also surprised by the leather itself. Lightweight yet much improved from the early Todd's jackets. Bravo work Todd.

click to enlarge photos.

Cheers!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

That looks great!
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Looks good.What size is that? And as always the "off the shoulders" is soooo ever present...
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

This is a size small.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Small..OK,not my size... exactly :) However,I can´t get over the "pronounced",to me at least, :roll: shoulderseams.I mean that´s a bit much over.I hope to (you know how) that XLarge isn´t that much,I´ve always pictured the seams at tinsy winsy bit over the shoulder,like a hair...you know.Hey,can someone show that XL isn´t too over board on the issue? Please :whip: [-o<
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...quit sitting on the sidelines and get in the game, Marqy-Marq! :P
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Looks like it´s about time.."step in the ranks and start the fight" :D
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

RayROnline wrote: Nice work. Did you get shrinkage? If yes, please detail.
Nope, no noticable shrinkage to my knowlege.

And thanks for the love, gents! :TOH:
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

baddates1 wrote: Where did you get that whip?

Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
It's a Western Stage Props, that I've had since 1999. It's a 12', possibly made by Joe Strain. It's aged well I think.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

I´m flipping out here!!!...can you guys give the sleeve measurement of ACTUAL current run Todd jackets sizes Large and XLarge,with back-lengths and chest circumferences? I think I´ll be swimming in XLarge if the measurements are true what I got from Sean and Large seems good from the body but the sleeves short as does the back.. #-o If this keeps going this way,I´m joining Pagey soon.. Some of you might remember :x ](*,) #-o :-s
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

MARQ wrote:I´m flipping out here!!!...can you guys give the sleeve measurement of ACTUAL current run Todd jackets sizes Large and XLarge,with back-lengths and chest circumferences? I think I´ll be swimming in XLarge if the measurements are true what I got from Sean and Large seems good from the body but the sleeves short as does the back.. #-o If this keeps going this way,I´m joining Pagey soon.. Some of you might remember :x ](*,) #-o :-s
Again, contacting Todd's is probably the easiest and most reliable way to get measurements on their jackets.

In my experience, they've always been eager to help. Just sayin'. :-
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

MARQ wrote:I´m flipping out here!!!...can you guys give the sleeve measurement of ACTUAL current run Todd jackets sizes Large and XLarge,with back-lengths and chest circumferences? I think I´ll be swimming in XLarge if the measurements are true what I got from Sean and Large seems good from the body but the sleeves short as does the back.. #-o If this keeps going this way,I´m joining Pagey soon.. Some of you might remember :x ](*,) #-o :-s
Sleeve from top shoulder seam to cuff is 24 inches. Bottom of collar stand to end of jacket is also 24 inches. I layed the jacket on the ground and measured all the way around under the arm pits and it is 47 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Thank you for that,erikgunnlugson! :tup: I´m gather those are from Large..? :-k
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

Yup. Size large. I wear a size large and size 42 in every jacket and suit i have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

I feel so big a fool now.I talked to Todd,made several questions to fellow-members and again after some measuring,after all that I noticed that The Jacket is all but standard..in fit and cut,that is.It throws a regular bum off guard, like me, :roll: It really is XL that I should get.SO...that´s done and over with,now to save some dough...
Last edited by MARQ on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

My Todd's jacket, already received few month ago. I'm completely satisfied from it...
The leather is soft and lightweight; the lambskin is very striated, in the front on pockets and sleeves, as seen in pictures.
It seems like a crocodile skin, very pleasant to see.
Very good investment, according to me. :tup:

Last edited by didier on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Very cool, didier! :TOH: Love the striations and it looks like a nice Raiders fit too. ;) Congrats on a very fine purchase. :tup:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Indeed, great looking jacket! :clap:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

Great thanks to you ! :TOH:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Didier That looks great! What size you got? :tup: :tup:
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

The size is L.
I usually wear XL, I'm just a little tight at shoulders, but it fits me perfectly for the sleeves and length...
(I also wear a jacket Wested antique lambtouch size 46, in comparison)
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

"as I live and breath,I hear them things callin´ me..come and get me,come and get me,come and get me!!" I had to put something here, inspired by the "CitySlickers 2" movie =P~ :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...take the plunge, Marqy-Marq. :CR:
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Texan Scott wrote:...take the plunge, Marqy-Marq. :CR:
Yes, take it!! ;)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Months and months of questions and indecision and waffling... I understand if you feel like you only have one shot to get this right, but unless you're scraping and scrimping for just one jacket, it's just not the case.

I started with a used Todd's (too small), bought a new US Wings (not Indy enough), then went through several used Todd's and several Westeds before I finally found a used Todd's and a new Todd's that satisfied me, and sold off everything else. This, to me, is the nature of the jacket beast. The quest for the perfect jacket. You might get lucky the first time out, you might not. But at some point you have to take the leap from the lion's head. :)
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

I have a Todd's XXL Raiders non distressed Jacket, but it's just a bit too long in the sleeves and overall length. Anyone have a XL that they would be willing to trade for my bigger one??
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Well, since I already posted pics in another thread, I might as well tell the whole story.

I drove up to Bakersfield in April of this year and "stopped in" at Todd's to check out the new jackets. (I put quotes around "stopped in" because it's not exactly on the way; it's about a 35-mile sidetrip from the 5 freeway.) My son Logan and I met Todd and his son at the shop and while Logan ogled all of Todd's cool Indy props, I tried on jackets. I told Todd what I was looking for and he started bringing them out. The new jackets ran the gamut from almost featurelessly smooth to almost dino-hide. Although I tried on five or so, and looked through about 10, the second one I tried checked all the boxes for me: It was light, it fit great, it was ribby but not excessively grainy, and it draped well immediately. The New Zealand leather is incredibly supple, and very dark. The chest "ribs" are on the wrong side, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Oh, and when I asked him about my very first Todd's jacket—the one with the really artificial-looking leather that some people took issue with my calling a "fashion leather"—he said it was a higher-end fashion leather. Ha! One noticeable and welcome difference with the new jacket is the size of the cuffs (namely, they're larger in circumference than the previous model). I have no plans to distress this one; my other Todd's (which I think is a 2008) got some gentle sandpapering this year and is looking well lived-in.

If you can visit, obviously that's the best way to go. Like I've said (and I told Todd and his wife, who showed up later and is just a delight), I've been through a lot of jackets and none of them have done it for me like Todd's. What's funny is how my tastes/preferences have developed as more details have come out with the Blu-ray release. In 2011 I wanted something smooth; now I want...well, this jacket! I look at the texture and shine of this leather and it says "Kipu Falls" to me. Now, if only I could get that puckering around the pockets… ;)
Whitman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Whitman »

Nice jacket Oildale. Looks similar to my Todds from few years ago. I, too, love the Todd's look and feel. And it's all about the fit!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

All the 'best of ' posts have been removed as they have pulled the discussion completely away from the subject matter at hand....'Todd's Jacket Owner's', so let's keep it to the topic.

As interesting as the 'best of' debate is, let's start a new thread if you wish to continue that route.

Thanks! :TOH:

Now, back to the program already in progress.

Regards! Michaelson
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Oildale...that is one heck of a jacket! :tup: So you say its the current run can you share some info: for a 44" chest,is that XL snug or "too loose" get my drift.. ;)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I'm a 46 and it's not snug; maybe just a hair too large. I think a wash would make it perfect, but it's so beautiful right now I don't want to risk it.
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

I wear a 44, and the Todds XL was too loose in the body. The sleeves were the perfect length for my 44L arms!
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

I still have an XXL to trade for someone's XL. ;)