Newbie budget whip?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

MAlltheman
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Newbie budget whip?

Post by MAlltheman »

So I'm new to indy COW and just have to say wow you lot sure are amazing! I just was wondering your opinions on whether the beginner whip from aussiesaddle is any good? Or should hit up a todds?? I'm just looking for a whip for cracking to see if I'm into it ya know?
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Newbie budget whip?

Post by Duck9000 »

Hi, IMHO, any low budget whip is a good option to start with. Indy Magnoli has one very nice at a fair price too. Hope this helps :TOH:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Does Adam Winrich no longer make the "Indy On A Budget" whips? Mine has lasted me close to 7 years.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sadly he stopped making them a few years ago. Too busy on his tour circuit.

If you plan on cracking the whip at all, stay away from whips that are advertised as costume whips (Todd's and Magnoli's are great costume pieces, but they themselves say they won't hold up for long term cracking).

Fortunately there are any number of great whip makers here that will get you set up with a 'real' whip without paying out the nose. Nylon whips are a good way to start. They are generally less expensive and are less maintenance.

As for length, if you are just starting out learning to crack I'd recommend 6-8 feet max. A lot of first time whip buyers run out to grab a 10' because 'that's what Indy carried' and whereas it looks nice on a belt, 10' can be unwieldy to learn on.

First hand experience, I was a the whip class at the QM Summit a few years ago not having much success with my 10 footer. Dan 'Bullwhip' Borton loaned me a 7 footer to tryout and I get a crack my first throw. After getting my technique down I was able to switch back to the 10' and have success.

I've since bought a 7' Crease-n-Corral whip and sold the 10'.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I started out on Minnesota Jones's 6-footer. My IOAB is an 8, but due to learning on those, I can work a 10 just fine. I agree with the 6-8 foot recommendation.