Treating a Bill Kelso Merino Sheep Jacket

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

RRPDD190
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Treating a Bill Kelso Merino Sheep Jacket

Post by RRPDD190 »

Just picked up a BK and was wondering about treating it. It's basically brand new, but just wanted protection from water and stains. I purchased Pecard's Leather Lotion and applied a little to the inside of the sleeve with a cloth. It darkened the leather but appeared to take a little dye off of it as well. Once it was completely dry it looks fine, but I'm worried about treating the whole jacket. I'm currently in Kabul Afghanistan and wear it from time to time. Just want to make sure its protected. I've used Pecards and Obenaufs on my other jackets (mostly cowhide and goat) with great success, but this is my first time with this type of leather. Any suggestions? THANKS! :TOH:
afalzon
Vendor

Re: Treating a Bill Kelso Merino Sheep Jacket

Post by afalzon »

As the manufacturer, suggest you not to use any products on your jacket. It's good enough to last 100 years. That's what the tanner told us. That said you can't protect it from water and stains because of the open pores finish. So better try not to spill your coffee on it. Then again, if you do, and if you spill some more, then after a while your jacket will be naturally aged and distressed and will look more like the screen used one.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

And that advise is coming straight from the makers.....I have always been tempted to dress my Kelso with something but when I sit down to do so, I think," This thing feels so soft and smooth, it doesn't need it!" And do I never have .... and I have worn it hard and ran it thru a light wash and dry cycle....twice! So carry on with no worries! :H:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Gorak wrote:So carry on with no worries! :H:
I would guess he has, the original post went unanswered for almost two years! :lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, I noticed that too.....so I guess he already KNOWS the answer after 2 years in the field. He hasn't been back on site since last April either. ;)

Regard! M
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Maybe he's too busy enjoying that BK? ;)