The Value of Your Joe Strain Just Went Up

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Cajunkraut

The Value of Your Joe Strain Just Went Up

Post by Cajunkraut »

This just became news to me and I didn't see it on COW anywhere, so figured I'd post it.

Excerpts from Northern Whip Co.'s Facebook page on September 10th, 2013:

I am no longer accepting new whip orders. I will occasionally put a whip for sale on the In-Stock/ Specials page.
If you have a whip on order with me, it will be completed within the next three weeks.
All of the whip accessories, videos and books will remain available for purchase through the website for the foreseeable future.

~Joe

Thanks, guys! Everything is fine. I just got a job offer that I can't pass on. I'll still be making whips part time(ish) but just the whips I really want to do. Whip making is not that easy to give up.

Joe, as disappointed as we are to see you off into whipmaking semi-retirement, we wish you well and much happiness in your new endeavor! :TOH:

(What the h*ll is Disney gonna do now?) :[ :lol:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: The Value of Your Joe Strain Just Went Up

Post by whiskyman »

Yeah I heard about this. The end of an era!! I'm no longer into whips at all - either as a user or a maker - but it still hit me that Joe is stopping. He was a big inspiration to me and gave me some great advice years ago. I wish him all the best with whatever he's going to be doing! :notworthy:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Your Strain is one of the best looking whips on COW, Michael! There's just something about a natural tan whip aged to a rich teak that's pleasing to the eye.

Joe will be missed. Little did I know that I'd gotten my order in with him just under the wire.\:D/
pinder91
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pinder91 »

This was news to me as well. I had been wanting his Raiders Anniversary since they were first announced. I finally decided to place the order just in time. Joe informed me my 10 ft natural Raiders would be "the last one for awhile". :D \:D/
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Woah, Woah, Woah!!!

Let's all just slow down, partners.

I talked to Joe, and this is definitely NOT a semi-retirement. He's just temporarily not taking new orders for a while. He told me by January he'll be back to taking new orders.

And I quote, from Joe in the initial post: "I'll still be making whips part time(ish) but just the whips I really want to do. Whip making is not that easy to give up."

What he told me was that he doesn't want (for the next three-four months) to take random Indy whip orders from random places, but like, if a return customer wanted something interesting between now and then, he would do it. He is STILL making whips, he's just not taking NEW (read: "typical") orders, for a short time, until this new job slows down a bit. But he WILL be making whips: to finish up his current orders; to make a few custom orders for friends and return customers; and he'll be making a few things for the in stock page.

And yes, if his new job is permanent, he will stick to it, and it will slow his lead times, but the Northern Whip Company as we know it is not calling it quits. Worst case scenario for his customers is probably just longer lead times. And holy @#$%! Joe Strain is about the fastest top end whipmaker out there. 2-3 weeks? Are you kidding me? WHO can beat that except for someone who keeps stockpiles of whips, like Mark Allen or someone. If you were thinking about ordering your first whip from him and you want an Indy whip by Halloween, then yeah, you're probably out of luck. But if you can wait until February, then you'll get it, business as usual. Maybe just a longer wait. And if you ask me. Jeez, do you even have to ask me if it's worth it?

DHW :whip:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

DHW,

That's encouraging, and it sounds like you and I had a somewhat different conversation with Joe. When I wished him well for the future and told him he'd be missed, he didn't refute the spirit or tone of the discussion by any means. He even acknowledged that Disney would have to find another vendor. :-k

That said, I think most would agree that Joe's Facebook posts left little room for interpretation. That, and one can't order off of the website anymore.

Still sounds like semi-retirement to me, at least for the time being. Perhaps it should be re-labeled a "hiatus".;)
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I just got a 6 footer from him last Saturday. It is a 16 Plait Bullwhip that is like one of his custom whips from his custom whip page...the 11 footer that looks like a coral snake. I mentioned that I wanted that pattern through as much as the whip as he can and I would leave the rest to him to create. He seemed happy to oblige. Give the Artist small guideline and allow them to do what they want and you will always have a Masterpiece. Joe has got to be tired of Indiana Jones Replica's(no offense, but cooking the same meal everyday become a grind). I have bought a few whips off him before, but he didn't say anything about stopping to me. I am sure it isn't over, but don't ask for an Indiana Jones whip and see what may happen. I would post pic's, but I can't figure out how to upload...if anyone wants to see it...email me at indyvictory@yahoo.com. God Bless. -Blake
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Joe is a phenomenal whip maker. His contributions to the craft will be missed. I wish him all the best.

Haven't made a whip myself in probably 4 or 5 years. Too busy with other endeavors. I do miss it though.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Guys, guys, guys. He's not quitting. He's just on a temporary hiatus. I thought I explained this.

DHW