For a few boots more...A ALDEN close-enough...and wow!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

For a few boots more...A ALDEN close-enough...and wow!

Post by MARQ »

I´m freaking out!!! :shock: :shock: I found these lace-up boots that look so much like the Aldens there´s even higher version for winter-use. :tup: Oh and the name is Navyboot. What do you guys think!?
Cajunkraut

Re: For a few boots more...A ALDEN close-enough...and wow!

Post by Cajunkraut »

They look good for "close enoughs"! :tup:
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Good looking boots, but almost $400. I'd say either pay a little more and get the real things, or go for Todd's Outdoorsmen at $150.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

cm289 wrote:Good looking boots, but almost $400. I'd say either pay a little more and get the real things, or go for Todd's Outdoorsmen at $150.
Wow, I hadn't even paid attention to the price.

Aldens are a no-brainer for a hundred bucks more, or like you said, shop Todd's.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The thing that would tip the scale for me is the lack of speed lace hooks. I don't care for them so a boot option with only lace holes works for me.

And a good tread for wet/icy/slippery conditions.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Like always "get the Aldens or go for Todd´s for that price"....I´d buy f+987-ing Aldens if they were available in Europe or Scadinavia,bloody beautiful boots!
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

Very good! I like the sole. (I also didn't like the slippy sole on the authentic aldens...very dangerous....u go first...)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

To me, close enough's are if you are new to the hobby and you simply wear a brown lace-up that is somewhat like the original, whatever is on hand at the moment. Maybe you can find a boot that is somewhat like an Alden boot for $200 or less, but "CE's" never quite fit the bill. The CE vs. Alden debate will always be, I suppose, but there are ways to buy Alden's and not pay so much for them. Usually that means thrift stores or Ebay. Many times, they are practically brand new. If you are able to find a CE and find contentment then you have done a good thing; but if you buy a CE and still have the "close but not quite" feeling, then better to save up or find a good deal on Ebay, thrift, or the Bazaar. Chances are, members will go through a few pairs of CE's because they are just not built the same, and that sort of leads you back to Alden's in the first place.

What I am curious about is that when it comes to the jacket or any other article, then members usually want the exact item, but the boots...? How to justify paying as much as $1200 for a whip, or at today's prices, $850 or more for a jacket, but on the boots....? The interesting concept is that you won't find hardly any threads with members who are using A-2's and other brown leather jackets as CE's but for some reason, people can justify other boots as CE's? ;)

On the other hand, I am far from an "official boot spokesman." I think the Alden is over-priced, and that they charge a premium for them, partly because they know that many fans will pay that, and it is a direct link to the character. They are obviously prouder of them than I would be, but I suppose you can justify whatever you will. It is an interesting dynamic with the boots though.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

To not get too far afield with this discussion, but on the topic of close enoughs.

My interpretation is to equate 'close enough' with 'bargain price'. I may not have a few hundred dollars to put into a SA jacket so I use the brown leather jacket I already own, A2 or otherwise.

Trousers seem to be the most common close enough item. There are any number of 'khakis' out there that will suit the bill just fine. Or safari style shirts.

When close enough items get suggested that are nearly the same price as a more screen accurate or a screen used brand, the natural reaction is to ask, "Why not save a little more and get brand X so you have the 'real' thing?"

In this example the suggestion of a close enough was made because Aldens are not readily available outside the US so a close enough brand, even if nearly the same price, are much more cost effective when factoring in shipping, import taxes, etc.

Or in my case where I don't like shoes/boots with speed lace hooks so I look for close enoughs rather than Aldens. Or with Indy shirts that don't span the entire size spectrum so a 'close enough' regardless of being similar in price is the only option for some members.

To TS's point of members spending large dollars for some gear items, but not for the boots, I think that's a demonstration of the market value of given items. What this community would consider high quality whips, hats or jackets come at certain minimum price points. After a while the sticker shock wears off and spending several hundred dollars for an item starts to seem reasonable.

The majority of current jacket vendors come in at price points in the ballpark of 'retail' leather jackets. Perhaps a bit more, but members will pay the 'premium' to get an Indy jacket rather than any old brown jacket.

When it comes to shoes and boots, very few people spend over $100 for a single pair of shoes so staring down the barrel of a $400+ price tag for a pair of boots is tougher to swallow. Couple that with the boots are the least noticeable piece of gear (heck, DHL still says Indy wore Redwings [-X :lol: ) and members make the trade off. Get a great looking hat and jacket (the most iconic pieces of gear) and not worry so much about a belt or boots.

As for Alden pricing, it's not the Indy connection that drives their pricing. All of their shoe lines come in at similar price points. They charge that because of the craftsmanship that goes into them. Whether the shoes are a good value at those prices is a matter of opinion.

Spending our time in this little corner of the internet we tend to think everyone in the world that eyes a pair of 405s is a huge Indy fan. I have a colleague that was sporting a pair and had no idea of the Indy connection. He only wears Aldens brand and wanted an ankle boot so went with 405s (albeit in black).

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

What drives people to CE's in the first place is the price. It all depends on what you can justify. Some cannot justify spending nearly $500 now on a new pair of boots, regardless of if its movie related, handmade, considered orthopedic or whatever. Thankfully people like Todd have stepped in and now offer vertually the same 'looking' boot for much less of comparable quality. There is always a price to be paid it just depends if you want to pay it.
I just believe that they have vertually priced these particular boots out of the avg. customers budget to the detriment of the co. and the fans. Not in the too distant past, theseboots were $250 or so. You may remember when they were much less. Doubled in less than a decade.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Texan Scott wrote:To me, close enough's are if you are new to the hobby and you simply wear a brown lace-up that is somewhat like the original, whatever is on hand at the moment. Maybe you can find a boot that is somewhat like an Alden boot for $200 or less, but "CE's" never quite fit the bill. The CE vs. Alden debate will always be, I suppose, but there are ways to buy Alden's and not pay so much for them. Usually that means thrift stores or Ebay. Many times, they are practically brand new. If you are able to find a CE and find contentment then you have done a good thing; but if you buy a CE and still have the "close but not quite" feeling, then better to save up or find a good deal on Ebay, thrift, or the Bazaar. Chances are, members will go through a few pairs of CE's because they are just not built the same, and that sort of leads you back to Alden's in the first place.

What I am curious about is that when it comes to the jacket or any other article, then members usually want the exact item, but the boots...? How to justify paying as much as $1200 for a whip, or at today's prices, $850 or more for a jacket, but on the boots....? The interesting concept is that you won't find hardly any threads with members who are using A-2's and other brown leather jackets as CE's but for some reason, people can justify other boots as CE's? ;)

On the other hand, I am far from an "official boot spokesman." I think the Alden is over-priced, and that they charge a premium for them, partly because they know that many fans will pay that, and it is a direct link to the character. They are obviously prouder of them than I would be, but I suppose you can justify whatever you will. It is an interesting dynamic with the boots though.
The boots are almost hidden under the pant legs, and (most?) Aldens have no tread. Alot of members Ive spoken with find them not very functional like a good ole leather jacket. I dont like the smooth soles, its borderline dangerous depending on weather conditions. But the boots are almost completely hidden.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The sole may be smooth, but don't let that fool you because they are cork soles, and not slippery like smooth leather dress shoes. 6 to 1, etc. but to each his own. ;)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Texan Scott wrote:The sole may be smooth, but don't let that fool you because they are cork soles, and not slippery like smooth leather dress shoes. 6 to 1, etc. but to each his own. ;)
If you'd like to send me a pair for testing id be glad to receive them. Would be a real shame if you never got em back.... ;)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

....its a hard Indy gear kinda life....
:cry:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Texan Scott wrote:....its a hard Indy gear kinda life....
:cry:
That it is! That is why, after several years, I had my Alden sole's re-vamped -- so, life would not be quite such an -- 'Indy-gear-kinda' life :- !' A few spills, and -- well, time for a change-up, If you will! But, got to tell you -- it was worth it! W>
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Texan Scott..you hit the jackpot there! They are...dare I say...JUST boots,for crying out loud!! :clap: :TOH:
I think the Alden is over-priced, and that they charge a premium for them, partly because they know that many fans will pay that, and it is a direct link to the character.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

MARQ wrote:Texan Scott..you hit the jackpot there! They are...dare I say...JUST boots,for crying out loud!! :clap: :TOH:
I think the Alden is over-priced, and that they charge a premium for them, partly because they know that many fans will pay that, and it is a direct link to the character.
I would say yes and no - they have many other styles all equally expensive. Part craftsmanship, part demand and part fandom makes them expensive. Their Indy boots are only part of their catalogue.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Aldens in general,yes,but we´re talkin´ Indy boots here.... :roll: and Aldens is a big part of the gear,lets not forget that...
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

MARQ wrote:Aldens in general,yes,but we´re talkin´ Indy boots here.... :roll: and Aldens is a big part of the gear,lets not forget that...
I'm aware of that - but the price of the Indy boots is in line with their other boots. It would be different if the Indy boots were over $500 and the other boots were $150 or $200. That's when I'd say they were milking the fans. The Aldens are pretty high quality across the board and the prices stay high because people will pay it - Indy fans and business folks. If there was nobody paying those prices, the prices would likely drop - depending on their costs - it's a supply and demand thing - Indy fans make up a small part (IMHO) of their clients
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It really depends on what a guy can or will justify, and either you choose to pay it or not. It's subjective.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Time to throw one of these in! :WLWOP:

baddates1
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote: I have a colleague that was sporting a pair and had no idea of the Indy connection. He only wears Aldens brand and wanted an ankle boot so went with 405s (albeit in black).
Regards,
Indiana Jeff
Ironically, my first pair were prescribed for me by a podiatrist to correct a foot problem I had been dealing with for a while. Alden 405's are Tru-Balance lasts, created for building in or allowing for foot corrective devices. Of course I knew the Indy connection, but found it VERY interesting how things worked for me in that direction, as otherwise I, too, would have probably never out and out purchased a pair for myself. :lol:

Heck, to date I've NEVER purchased or owned a correct 'roo Indy whip, and probably never will!

Regards! michaelson