Aged Lone Star snake whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Aged Lone Star snake whip

Post by Misa »

During this hot summer, my friend Deki and i, decide to make little experiment on one of my whips. We want to achieve aged effect on whip. For that occasion, we make mixture of pure bees wax and edible linseed oil in 1 by 1 ratio (in weight). Mixture is melt together and then set aside to cool. It is important to stir mixture all the time to prevent the ingredients from separating. When mixture is ready, then coming heavy smearing into whip itself. Whip must be cover in full, and dispose on sun light and heat. I know that sun is not good for leather, but in this case it is one of main ingredient in process. This summer we have high temperature, for almost three month, so we repeat this process for 10 days. This is product of that job...

and this is how whip look earlier...

I do not know guys how this whip look to you, but we are very happy :D :D :D
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Aged Lone Star snake whip

Post by Gorak »

Big difference and VERY VERY nice. Great experiment that was definitely success ful!
:tup:
I really like the whip...... more info on it please. ?...
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

Thanks, whip is made of three plaited belies, no shoot bag core, or bolsters. First layer is made of tiny weighted lead rope covered with four strand. Above that 6 strand, and final 8 strand. Top plait is made of 12 strands, ending whit 6 strands. Length is 110 cm. Star on the top is made with Tendy stamp.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

That looks AWESOME!!! Perfect accelerated aging! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

Thanks
now we planing to repeat same process on one 8th footer. I just need to make one. Except that we wanted to achieve this effect on whip, we also wish to see, how heavy greasing takes effect on strands itself. None of the strands is not lost firmness and even plaiting is not weakened, or disturbed.