Wested's HERO jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by Texan Scott »

The latest db goat Hero. I'd had one before (first page of this thread). This one was made with a few tweaks so it would fit better; and the sleeves are from the RoLA pattern, so they would not be too tight. ;)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Gosh these jackets look incredible. I really have to get one some day.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

moses wrote:Mine is also cotton with satin sleeves. Never actually thought about all cotton for some reason. But this anything but a lightweight jacket! It weighs a ton! :lol:

A ton... Really? A solid jacket like that in horse by Aero or a similar company would weigh 5 or 6 pounds. Surely this item is light?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I have something similar to his in copper, and maybe it weighs 4 lbs. Heavy for an Indy jacket. You would not want to be wearing it in Tunisia...maybe at night?
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Here is a photo of my new Hero in Shrukin Lamb. The jacket fits like a dream and it is so thin but durable, it is hard to explain. The jacket is awesome!!!

[img][IMG]http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p738/MyPhotoFX/Indy%20Hero%20Jacket/IMG_2708_zps7e34af75.jpg[/img][/img]
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

DiCatania wrote:Here is a photo of my new Hero in Shrukin Lamb. The jacket fits like a dream and it is so thin but durable, it is hard to explain. The jacket is awesome!!!

[img][IMG]http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p738/MyPhotoFX/Indy%20Hero%20Jacket/IMG_2708_zps7e34af75.jpg[/img][/img]
He shoots. He SCORES! Excellent jacket and perfect fit :clap:
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

DiCatania wrote:Here is a photo of my new Hero in Shrukin Lamb. The jacket fits like a dream and it is so thin but durable, it is hard to explain. The jacket is awesome!!!

He shoots. He SCORES! Excellent jacket and perfect fit :clap:
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

The recent pics of SL from Dicatania and TenuredProf convinced me to pull the trigger on a hero jacket of my own. I tend to have a difficult time with shirts and jackets as I have (somewhat) broad shoulders and a (relatively) narrow waist, so I've been anguishing over size and measurements. Five years ago I compiled a long, ridiculous list of custom specs including "80s cut", precise measurements, pocket placement diagrams, the whole nine; of course, I never ended up going for it.
So here I am having just ordered a new SL hero, size 42 with 24" back and sleeves, and I'm psyched!
I'll follow up with some pics and whatnot when it arrives.
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

Ok now I'm having doubts about the 24" back and sleeve length I ordered, wondering if I should go 24 1/2".
My rationale for the 24" was this: 5 years ago I briefly owned a Todd's standard (his original offering) in M. It was, of course, too small on me, so I returned it. Prior to doing so, however, I took measurements all around, finding that both the back and sleeves were an even 23". At the time I remember noting that I needed another inch and a half for both, which would put me at 24 1/2". Then, having read this thread and hearing all about the "off the shoulder" fit of the Wested hero, I ordered a 1/2" shorter; hence 24".
Now I'm wondering just how different is this W hero cut vs Todd's standard...? Is Todd's considered to be about the same kind of "off the shoulder" fit?
Also of note, I'm 5'10", if that's any kind of indicator for the 1/2" that I'm agonizing over. :).
Any words of wisdom on the subject are appreciated.
Last edited by bobbyd on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I ordered a Last Crusade back in April and I ordered a 27" sleeve and a 27" back and it fit perfect. I am 6'2" tall. When I went to order my hero I emailed Gemma that I was concerned about the length because I had heard that the Hero fit different because of how it draped longer on the shoulder. She spoke to Peter and he said to subtract one inch so I did. I went with 26" sleeve and 26" back. As for a comparison to a Todd's jacket I am not sure, I never owned one. I hope this helps. You won't be disappointed going with the Wested Hero it's a great jacket especially in the shrunkin lamb.
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

bobbyd wrote:Ok now I'm having doubts about the 24" back and sleeve length I ordered, wondering if I should go 24 1/2".
My rationale for the 24" was this: 5 years ago I briefly owned a Todd's standard (his original offering) in M. It was, of course, too small on me, so I returned it. Prior to doing so, however, I took measurements all around, finding that both the back and sleeves were an even 23". At the time I remember noting that I needed another inch and a half for both, which would put me at 24 1/2". Then, having read this thread and hearing all about the "off the shoulder" fit if the Wested hero, I ordered a 1/2" shorter; hence 24".
Now I'm wondering just how different is this W hero cut vs Todd's standard...? Is Todd's considered to be about the same kind of "off the shoulder" fit?
Also of note, I'm 5'10", if that's any kind of indicator for the 1/2" that I'm agonizing over. :).
Well, I think you'll be fine, bobbyd :TOH: I'm 5'11 and the back length on mine is perfect at 24.5. I know the feeling of second guessing your measurements though. They do seem small for this jacket, but the 'falling off the shoulders' fit allows it to ..well...fall of the shoulders to make up for the seemingly short back. I think you'll be fine ;)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

bobbyd wrote:Ok now I'm having doubts about the 24" back and sleeve length I ordered, wondering if I should go 24 1/2".
My rationale for the 24" was this: 5 years ago I briefly owned a Todd's standard (his original offering) in M. It was, of course, too small on me, so I returned it. Prior to doing so, however, I took measurements all around, finding that both the back and sleeves were an even 23". At the time I remember noting that I needed another inch and a half for both, which would put me at 24 1/2". Then, having read this thread and hearing all about the "off the shoulder" fit of the Wested hero, I ordered a 1/2" shorter; hence 24".
I'd say you are fine with the 24" back. I'm 5'10" as well and I have a Nowak Raiders with a 23" back. It is perfect. If you prefer a slightly longer fit, than you should be good to go with what you ordered. Just FYI, in a standard Wested, a 25" back was perfect for me. So for me, switching to an authentic Raiders fit, such as the Hero pattern, then I would take off two inches in back length. The back length and storm flap length should be nearly the same for a true Raiders hero pattern. Would a 24 inch front length look good on you? If so, then you ordered correctly.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Been wearing my NP a lot lately..despite the HEATWAVE..and it'S starting to look very broken in and rather more distressed..the leather marks quite easily it seems..even from being screwed up in a suitcase.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

NP cowhide is thick and it suedes easy, but all the better. Seems as though the older and the more used leather is the better it looks.
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I think the grain looks great on that jacket.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Guys what's the difference between the first Wested shrunken lamb and this "New shrunken lamb" that I now see on the Wested website? Any help? :-k
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

I don't think there's anything specifically different except that batches seem to have varied over the years in terms of colour, softness vs stiffness and texture.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

moses wrote:I don't think there's anything specifically different except that batches seem to have varied over the years in terms of colour, softness vs stiffness and texture.
That sounds pretty different to me. ;)

Seriously each batch posted on here seems to exhibit very different qualities. Seems like a roll of the dice to me. From what I've seen posted here most recently, the latest batch looks the best.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

That's why I have not yet ordered this jacket. I do not know what I receive. :-k
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Indiana Strones wrote:That's why I have not yet ordered this jacket. I do not know what I receive. :-k
A jacket. :P
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I popped in a couple of weeks ago. He has a couple of really nice washed lambs now. One is the traditional matt one with occasional characterful grain it comes in variable weights so ask for thick or thin really nice.

Then the other one is a very nice broken in sheep, its very soft and supple, it's an ideal leather for the James Bond Skyfall jacket. If I don't have one already in antique cow I'd be ordering one in this sheep leather.
JR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JR »

Just when I was satisfied with my two custom Wested jacket (LC style), I want the Hero jacket. :whip:
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Kt Templar wrote:I popped in a couple of weeks ago. He has a couple of really nice washed lambs now. One is the traditional matt one with occasional characterful grain it comes in variable weights so ask for thick or thin really nice.

Then the other one is a very nice broken in sheep, its very soft and supple, it's an ideal leather for the James Bond Skyfall jacket. If I don't have one already in antique cow I'd be ordering one in this sheep leather.
The problem with Wested is always the same: the colour. :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Hi KT,

Any chance of posting samples of the washed lamb and soft sheep? It sounds like the soft sheep would make a fine Raiders jacket from the way you describe it?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Texan Scott wrote:Hi KT,

Any chance of posting samples of the washed lamb and soft sheep? It sounds like the soft sheep would make a fine Raiders jacket from the way you describe it?
I thought the same thing... ;)

Not got any pics of the leather I'm afraid!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The only problem with washed goat was it tended to have a greenish hue, but it was wonderful stuff. I assume "washed" means acid wash? When acid is applied to metal, such as iron, it creates a greenish reaction. What I'm saying is, if the washed goat was washed with acid, and the goatskin was tanned with chromium compounds...maybe this could have been the end result?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

No don't think so. It may have been enzyme washed, or just didn't have any acrylic surface on it. Washed in the uk normally means a slightly ripply and worn in appearance in the case of leather.
4505marcel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by 4505marcel »

My wife has ordered me a shrunken hero for my birthday, can't wait to get it \:D/
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

D*mn, those are nice jackets.

Now I gotta spend some more money... :BD:
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

4505marcel wrote:My wife has ordered me a shrunken hero for my birthday, can't wait to get it \:D/
A shrunken jacket? Hope it fits! ;-)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I thought you might like to see the differences in skins on each of these Hero jackets. Pictured is the dark brown thin lambskin (Tibor special), shrunken lamb, dark brown goat and pre-distressed hide. I'll let you decide which one(s) look most authentic:

Dark Brown (thin) lambskin

Shrunken Lamb

Dark Brown Goat

Pre-distressed Hide

*I will be selling this lighter weight, pre-distressed Hero, since I have received a LC jacket in copper novapelle. PM if interested.

Each one has its own unique qualities. The dark brown lamb is very light weight, and reminiscent of the old Todd's Std's. Shrunken lamb features veg. tanned, while the dark goatskin is light weight and durable, a near perfect leather for this type of jacket if you like the color; sleeves were modified for a wider diameter. Pre-D marks easy and is also light weight for a cowhide jacket.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Your left arm is in the same position in the last 3 Pictures. Are you taking Mannequin classes Tex?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I also have a new hybrid, LC/Hero jacket that did not photo clearly. I'll have to post it later. I took the features from both styles of jackets and combined them for comfort, etc. It basically looks like a LC jacket that has Hero pockets.
Niel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Niel »

Hello, new member / first post to COW. Long time Indy fan and I have decided that I'm going to order the Wested Hero jacket within the next day or two - and plan to go as RoTLA Indy for Halloween this year.

Is the Wested Hero sizing true to size? I am 5' 10", 180lbs, generally wear a size 40 (sometimes a 38 - depending on cut), waist 32"-33". My shirt sleeve length is 34.5 (I know this is different than what he is asking for - does it convert?)

Should a size 40 work, or do I need to go up or down a size?

This jacket will be added to my regular rotation - is the shrunken lamb the most "authentic" looking - or is this a matter of substantial debate? Is there a preferred leather amongst the group?

Thanks in advance!

-Niel
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

You listed most everything but your chest measurement. It would be best to simply give these measurements to Wested and let them size the jacket to fit.
Niel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Niel »

Thanks Texan Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Sure. I'd say, just scroll through this thread and you will get a better idea of the leather available. You may become partial to a leather that does not exactly match the film jacket. For instance, the dark brown goatskin is a fine leather for this type of jacket, thin and really durable. It is obviously not the original. Wested also has new arrivals such as washed sheep, and it would be cool to see what this skin looks like as well. From the sound of it, would make a great Raiders jacket. Once you have narrowed it down to say, 3-4, ask for samples.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Texan Scott, you hit the nail on the head.
When it comes to Wested, I love nothing more than the dark brown lamb. I have a Washed Goat which looks a hundred times more "screen accurate" but with the weather in which I live and the humidity, the super thin dark brown is much much more practical, comfy and I can wear it year round, even thru most of the summer. And I feel, it actually does resemble the newish looking jacket in the peruvian temple sequence. Not as warm brown but in shiney and thin looking as the movie verion. I recently aquired a Hero in thin brown lamb and I love it. It is in the rotation with my Kelso.
Niel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Niel »

Texan Scott wrote:Sure. I'd say, just scroll through this thread and you will get a better idea of the leather available. You may become partial to a leather that does not exactly match the film jacket. For instance, the dark brown goatskin is a fine leather for this type of jacket, thin and really durable. It is obviously not the original. Wested also has new arrivals such as washed sheep, and it would be cool to see what this skin looks like as well. From the sound of it, would make a great Raiders jacket. Once you have narrowed it down to say, 3-4, ask for samples.
I was cruising eBay and came across this: eBay Link.. (COW member?)

The measurements are very close to mine, so I pulled the trigger. Looking forward to receiving and checking it out.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Always great to find a good deal. Post some pics when you get it?
Niel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Niel »

Will do...

Niel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Niel »

Jacket arrived, feels like it fits like glove.. will post pictures later this afternoon.

-Niel
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by ChrisMD »

Niel wrote:Jacket arrived, feels like it fits like glove.. will post pictures later this afternoon.

-Niel
Hopefully not OJs glove!
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Pics please!! :D
Niel wrote:Jacket arrived, feels like it fits like glove.. will post pictures later this afternoon.

-Niel
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Duck9000 wrote:Pics please!! :D
+1 :TOH:
Niel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Niel »

Here's a quick photo.

Brand new WPG shirt (washed out from sunlight, darker in person) and Wested Hero jacket from previously mentioned eBay listing. It's in like new condition.

Hat is a vintage early to mid-50's Royal Stetson Ivy League. On the fence about aquiring a SA fedora.

Jeans are new Diesels. Not SA ;-)

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Very nice find. It looks good on you bro.
Niel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Niel »

Thanks TS!

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

That's one nice looking jacket! It really does look like new! You're gonna have to go crawl around under a tank or jump of a cliff or something to give it some "tough love"!

I like the looks of that hat, too, particularly the tall crown and that wide ribbon!
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Nice jacket! :tup: