New book about Swaine Adeney Brigg

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

whipwarrior

New book about Swaine Adeney Brigg

Post by whipwarrior »

Just found this on a random visit to the SAB website:

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/book/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It mentions Indiana Jones in the synopsis, and lists a whole chapter about Herbert Johnson. I'd love to read it, but $72 + shipping from England is a tad pricey for my budget (even as I scheme and save for a new item of Gear). I'm sure we'd all be grateful if one of our British compatriots could kindly obtain a scan of the relevant text for the benefit of the Indy Gear community at large. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: New book about Swaine Adeney Brigg

Post by Michaelson »

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1898565090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/in-good ... 1898565093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bookdepository.com/Good-Hand ... 1898565093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best price found so far:

http://www.abebooks.com/Good-Hands-250- ... 8079488/bd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's available outside the UK, old friend, and for a lot less than advertised. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Don't they believe in paperback anymore?
:P
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Give 'em time. ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Texan Scott wrote:Don't they believe in paperback anymore?
I doubt this one will go to paperback. Looks more like a coffee table style book and I would guess picture heavy. Doesn't translate well to a smaller paperback version.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Was in there today looking at Poets and they had numerous copies if it around. Not that much on Raiders as far as I could see.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

So, there's nothing new to add to IndyGear history? Bummer. :( How do the current Poets look?
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I like them, but I'm no expert. I have an Adventurbilt that I'll sell once the Poets stock comes in.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

CRB wrote:I like them, but I'm no expert. I have an Adventurbilt that I'll sell once the Poets stock comes in.
Unless the AB doesn't fit... Don't sell it! The AB is a much better hat, and once the Poet falls apart, which it will, you won't have any other hats to go back to. On second thought... Don't buy the Poet, it won't work out that well...

"You'll thank me later." -Adrian Monk
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

shade88 wrote:
CRB wrote:I like them, but I'm no expert. I have an Adventurbilt that I'll sell once the Poets stock comes in.
Unless the AB doesn't fit... Don't sell it! The AB is a much better hat, and once the Poet falls apart, which it will, you won't have any other hats to go back to. On second thought... Don't buy the Poet, it won't work out that well...

"You'll thank me later." -Adrian Monk

:TOH: hit the nail on the head.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Ditto. I have two of them.

One of them is a Steve Delk reblock back when Magnoli was selling them. The other was just a stock HJ Poet.

Even though it's never been near any rain, the stock hat has tapered to the point it's almost unreconizable. I've been told no-one can guarantee they won't destroy it trying to reblock it.

I keep the other one in a box.

Swaine-Adeney's webiste has the following instruction on their Poet:

PLEASE NOTE THIS HAT MUST NOT BE WORN IN HEAVY RAIN, IT IS IS MADE OF NATURAL FIBRES AND IF IT GETS TOO WET IT MAY SHRINK, LEAVE TO AIR DRY IF DAMP AND HAND MOULD BACK TO SHAPE IF NEEDED

John and Steve have no such disclaimers.

I wear my Penman and Adventurebilt hats daily in whatever weather mother nature conjures up. Never had a problem.

Leave the Poet - take the Adventurebilt.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Interesting feedback, thanks

Well my AB is a size too small, so don't wear it. The appeal with the Poet is that I can try on before buying. If I prefer another AB then I can't refund can I? Plus shipping cost (big box), and not to mention very high UK customs charges (30%) on top of price of hat. Plus the AB is much more expensive. I don't know what felt my AB is either. Bit of a dilemma.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:Don't they believe in paperback anymore?
I doubt this one will go to paperback. Looks more like a coffee table style book and I would guess picture heavy. Doesn't translate well to a smaller paperback version.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Shame its not a coffee table book on coffee tables.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

:rolling:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Well my AB is a size too small, so don't wear it. The appeal with the Poet is that I can try on before buying. If I prefer another AB then I can't refund can I? Plus shipping cost (big box), and not to mention very high UK customs charges (30%) on top of price of hat. Plus the AB is much more expensive. I don't know what felt my AB is either. Bit of a dilemma.
Consider having it reblocked to the correct size. Most good hats can be sized up or down. Any of the good hatters on here could probably do that if they had time. Steve Delk would be the best bet if you can get ahold of him and don't mind the wait.

As far as the type of felt, beaver is very soft and extremely dense. The individual fibers are so fine you almost can't tell them apart. Rabbit is a lot coarser by comparison and doesn't feel as dense.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:
Consider having it reblocked to the correct size. Most good hats can be sized up or down. Any of the good hatters on here could probably do that if they had time. Steve Delk would be the best bet if you can get ahold of him and don't mind the wait.

As far as the type of felt, beaver is very soft and extremely dense. The individual fibers are so fine you almost can't tell them apart. Rabbit is a lot coarser by comparison and doesn't feel as dense.
The only thing to note about the reblocking the size up is that it would take away felt from the brim. So if you were to reblock, I would ask the hatter's advice and show pictures, and share measurements as well. If you are in the UK, I do suggest Marc as the reblocker; he is over in Germany, so that will make the shipping not as bad.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

If you worried about cost effective. Think of it this way. In a year or so you will have to spend more money to replace the HJ. Where as the AB will last a life time.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I don't mind spending much more on the hat, it's paying taxes and duties that makes my blood boil. Is the rabbit AB better than the Poet still ?
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Much better.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Since the Poet is rabbit felt and AB uses the best rabbit felts available in the US, I'd say "yes" the AB is definitely better.

Bummer with the added taxes and customs fees. Does it matter if the hat is sent to you 'from a friend' vs. a vendor? You could see about the reblock going from Steve to another member and have them forward it on. Just thinking outloud.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

CRB wrote:I don't mind spending much more on the hat, it's paying taxes and duties that makes my blood boil. Is the rabbit AB better than the Poet still ?
For what it's worth, I've not come across a better rabbit felt hat than my Adventurbilt rabbit felt Raiders. I cannot imagine the factory-made modern-day Poet being in the same league, IMHO.

:TOH: Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Great looking book. I wonder if my university library would have it. thanks for the heads up
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

If the library does have it, could you kindly scan the Herbert Johnson chapter for all of us here at COW?
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

HJ's aren't what they used to be and on top of that the hat is only as good as the felt/material. The reason why the Raiders fedora and the material they used at the time is so sought after is the fact that Herbert Johnson had a special Brazilian flet they used to make the hats for the movie and not long after could not or did not want to acquire more. If you watch all four movies Temple and Crusade hats just don't do it ( sorry guys that like those hats, I like them too but don't have the character or take shape as well as Raiders) and the closest is Crystal Skull and that's our guy Steve with AB !! I'd still like a peek at this book though !!
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

whipwarrior wrote:If the library does have it, could you kindly scan the Herbert Johnson chapter for all of us here at COW?
Actually, you could probably contact your local library and ask them to do an inter-library loan request of just that chapter--if you get a full citation and the correct page range. Many inter-library loan departments will now send PDF versions of articles or even up to a chapter of a book. Worth checking out... ;)

:TOH: Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.