Crystal skull whips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Crystal skull whips

Post by Basil »

Howdy all.

I've been thinking about getting a crystal skull whip.

I know everyone has good things to say about the jacka whips. But I was wondering if anyone has experience with the joe strain version or other makers.

I like the look of the stiffer whip but not too sure if I want the jacka whip because of its thicker dimensions.

Any input is welcome.
parttime
Vendor

Re: Crystal skull whips

Post by parttime »

This is the Crease-N-Corral version of the Crystal Skull whip (left)
pictured with a Jacka whip on the (right).

It is very stiff yet lighter in weight and a bit smaller in diameter than the Jacka.
Still bigger in diameter than all my standard Indy whips, Raiders, TOD, Crusade etc...

-Dusty
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

As a former Jacka Crystal Skull whip owner I can tell you this to keep in mind if you are on the fence about getting one compared to others:

1. The Jacka CS is the thickest whip I have ever seen, some folks had trouble with getting their hands around the knot due to its size (like a door knob to medium sized hands).

2. Terry makes other types of whips that are fantastic and are much easier to work with and should be considered instead if you are open to them ( I still have my aussie style 8 and 10 and love them!) Joe Strain's CS is a lot smaller dimension wise and does not wear you out as much. I liked it real well!

3. Weight, many forum users here sold them due to the fact that they are very heavy and extremely tiresome to throw versus normal Indy Whips.

In the end I enjoyed getting to own one, but I ended up just not using it and sold it.

Just my 2 cents, so take it with a grain of salt.
Allen
drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewtheman »

I have a crystal skull joe strain bullwhip, 7 foot I'm thinking of selling. Pm me for more info and details. Thanks
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

I had a CS Jacka and sold it of all of the reasons stated above, as well as for the fact that the long, stiff transition is, in my mind, stupid.

Go with a Joe Strain. Some of his whips were in the movie anyway, so it's not like they aren't SA. (The Jacka is the whip you see Indy wrapping the maching gun with, but so what?)

Strain Left, Jacka right.

. . . Strain all the way.

DHW
Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Basil »

That's a pretty big difference. I never knew it was that stiff.

I may just dye the knots of my Brandy strain whip and pretend its a crystal skull one.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

As everyone's stated the Jacka is the heaviest whip of the Indys and will tire you out. I love cracking it though and it never fails to impress all those who look upon it. It cracks so loud that people have covered their ears. My only other whip is my 10 yr. old grandson's Todd's 8 ft. which is a wet noodle by comparison.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

lantzn wrote:As everyone's stated the Jacka is the heaviest whip of the Indys and will tire you out. I love cracking it though and it never fails to impress all those who look upon it. It cracks so loud that people have covered their ears. My only other whip is my 10 yr. old grandson's Todd's 8 ft. which is a wet noodle by comparison.
Lantzn speaks the truth. I really wouldn't want to rob someone of the experience, but might I suggest keeping your eyes peeled for a used one. I think having a chance to own one, new or used, is worthwhile, but don't forget to keep an exit strategy in mind.

DHW
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I have a Joe Strain CS whip and love it. I cracked Darens jacka a was tired of cracking after five minutes. I have a whip from Dusty and have another one in mind for him to make for me.
ccporter
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ccporter »

I have a Jacka CS 10' whip. It is not heavy at all. It very accurate and powerful.
It does not tire me out. I can crack it all day. The long transition is very effective.

Chris
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

DarenHenryW wrote:
lantzn wrote:As everyone's stated the Jacka is the heaviest whip of the Indys and will tire you out. I love cracking it though and it never fails to impress all those who look upon it. It cracks so loud that people have covered their ears. My only other whip is my 10 yr. old grandson's Todd's 8 ft. which is a wet noodle by comparison.
Lantzn speaks the truth. I really wouldn't want to rob someone of the experience, but might I suggest keeping your eyes peeled for a used one. I think having a chance to own one, new or used, is worthwhile, but don't forget to keep an exit strategy in mind.

DHW
Lantzn actually owns my old one. Glad to hear it is still working for you! :TOH:
Allen
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Yes and I will never part with it. :). I do like the sounds and look of those Strain versions and might consider adding one of those in the future.
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

lantzn wrote:Yes and I will never part with it. :). I do like the sounds and look of those Strain versions and might consider adding one of those in the future.
Man, I remember the first time I cracked the CS Jacka at my house and about nine people came out of their houses and just looked at me like they were about to put together a lynching party! My next door neighbor could have sworn I fired off a 410 in the backyard! ;)

Good Times,
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:
lantzn wrote:Yes and I will never part with it. :). I do like the sounds and look of those Strain versions and might consider adding one of those in the future.
Man, I remember the first time I cracked the CS Jacka at my house and about nine people came out of their houses and just looked at me like they were about to put together a lynching party! My next door neighbor could have sworn I fired off a 410 in the backyard! ;)

Good Times,
No wonder you sold it ;)
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

You can definitely see the stiffness in the Jacka in the trailer where Indy misses the truck and falls into the other one.
As he says, "#### I thought that was closer." The whip is just standing there in his hand....
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

backstagejack wrote:You can definitely see the stiffness in the Jacka in the trailer where Indy misses the truck and falls into the other one.
As he says, "#### I thought that was closer." The whip is just standing there in his hand....
The rigid transition is no doubt impressive, it should almost come with a warning...

"If you experience a transition like this for more than 4 hours, contact you doctor immediately"

:Plymouth: