Who makes the best streets of Cairo?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Who makes the best streets of Cairo?

Post by indyfan1234 »

Hey there I'm going to be in the market for a streets of Cairo Indy hat. Pretty much want a distressed raiders fedora. But I don't want the full hat distress where it's hugely misshapen or what not. Pretty much perfect Indy shaped hat (idol scene perfect) with Cairo dirt and dust. Not the actual hat distress of the shape. Just the dust and dirt parts. (Hope that all made sense.) was thinking penman. But any other suggestions would be helpful.
Well I'll take a little actual hat distress.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Who makes the best streets of Cairo?

Post by WConly »

indyfan1234 wrote:Hey there I'm going to be in the market for a streets of Cairo Indy hat. Pretty much want a distressed raiders fedora. But I don't want the full hat distress where it's hugely misshapen or what not. Pretty much perfect Indy shaped hat (idol scene perfect) with Cairo dirt and dust. Not the actual hat distress of the shape. Just the dust and dirt parts. (Hope that all made sense.) was thinking penman. But any other suggestions would be helpful.
Penman would be an excellent choice and so would Garrison Hatters or Steele & Jones. I am certain they would understand this fully. Heck, I did :-s ...and, if I can then you are in really great shape here ;) ! Funny that you would post this particular interest re: 'Cairo Hat,' tonight. Even though you are looking for more of the 'general 'Raider's look,' but with the dirt, I was thinking about the 'Cairo-style, itself, with little to no dirt. Go figure :roll: ! W>
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

I have a peters bros Indy fedora. I really like it but isn't fully SA it's close though. I got the stiff blend one and is harder to shape SA. So I wanted a new raiders that's screen accurate. If someone can match the Cairo look from the begging when it's less misshapen and still has the sharp bash edges I'd consider that as well. Just don't like the ending scenes were its almost out if shape and bash. The beginning still looks good with dirt lol.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I second what WConly said. Any of those three makers will deliver exactly what you are looking for.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Reason I was asking you guys is I've been doing a little research and some I've seen are too distressed and look too misshapen then SA. And too much dirt and dust are added.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

John Penman by far. His Cairo hat is something you can wear if you want, but it looks the part. Like all his hats its tough as nails too.

I'm going to add, though, having just compared them, that Garrison makes a great Cairo hat too. (I have no experience with Steele & Jones)

I think my preference goes to the Penman because for some reason they seem to suit me better.
Last edited by Ridgerunner58 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:John Penman by far. His Cairo hat is something you can wear if you want, but it looks the part. Like all his hats its tough as nails too.
All of the hat makers listed are great, but my vote goes to John as well. (I am biased, I do love my Penman Raiders. Both of them.) :CR:

Best Regards,
Robert
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Anyone have some quick penman Cairo pics? Or just distressed raiders penmans?
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I've been trying to distress my Penman for years. I gave up. It's too tough! :lol:
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Illinois James wrote:I've been trying to distress my Penman for years. I gave up. It's too tough! :lol:
That's a good and bad thing. Good because it is built like a tank. Bad if you want to distress it you can't cuz it's built so well lol. Hahaha. So if I go with penman ill have him distress it.
Indy506
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy506 »

He has some pictures of them on his Facebook and his website. I have a Penman Raiders that I have worn just about everyday since I got it in February and it has just gotten better every time I've worn it.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

His 'Cairo' looks great, yes. I'm not into the artificial distressing, but I like his and David's versions. They definitely look the part. I just probably wouldn't wear it anywhere like that. I'd always be wanting to brush it clean!
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

The dusty look wears off after a while.

It still looks stained and dirty, just not as extreme as when you first get it.

Below are pictures John sent pre-delivery. I will try to put up some ""After" pictures later.

I actually do wear this hat among the other ones. It suits me pretty well when I've had "one of those weeks."

indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Thanks for the pics. I'd love to see the pics from when you have it in hand. I love the dust look. But I think I'm gonna have mine made with the tight perfect bash. Instead of the more loose worn. Unless more pics change my mind lol :-k
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

As said many times before, John is the man :TOH: I've got two Raiders hats from him. The dust does come off after wear and can easily be brushed off if you're looking for a not so 'Cairo-y' look. The key, in my eyes anyway, is the ring of dust just above the ribbon. I use q-tips dipped in FE to draw that ring around it to simulate the sweat stains. Here's a couple pics before I fine tuned the look I was going after.

wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wilbyc82 »

It's a question of personal preference. I went for the Steele & Jones. Superb price and quality. Their Cairo was lightly distressed. Since then I have applied more fullers earth.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

wilbyc82 wrote:It's a question of personal preference. I went for the Steele & Jones. Superb price and quality. Their Cairo was lightly distressed. Since then I have applied more fullers earth.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
That's an awesome pic there
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

I was looking at the garrison fedora looks nice but on his website the crown looks too short on his SOC or am I just crazy? Lol I'd love to see some pics of those as well if anyone has them.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Check the Garrison, Steele & Jones and Penman display threads. There are plenty of examples of their SOC work.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I will put up a side by side comparison between the Garrison and Penman later. I believe they are pretty close to the same.

Garrison's version is a bit more "pummeled" feeling, and I think the brim may be a fraction narrower.

The picture probably looks off because David's face is fairly round by comparison to what you see onscreen.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:I will put up a side by side comparison between the Garrison and Penman later. I believe they are pretty close to the same.

Garrison's version is a bit more "pummeled" feeling, and I think the brim may be a fraction narrower.

The picture probably looks off because David's face is fairly round by comparison to what you see onscreen.
Thanks very much. This is a hard decision. It's alot of money so I'm trying to compare them all to which I like better. Sorry for all these questions guys. This decision seems more tough then I originally realized. ](*,)
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

John is the man on this one, he's totally nailed the boxy front and the pinch for a SOC look plus his hats are durable and can be shaped to whatever seen you want ( it's all in the steaming when he blocks and shapes your hat btw). Don't get me wrong Garrison and Steele & Jones make excellent Indy fedoras and in the near future I'll be making purchases from both, I own a Steve Delk AB Raiders now that I love but my next hat is a Penman !! Also, if you want, call John directly he will get back to you if he can't answer and the two of you might come up with exactly what you want. Hope this helps, good luck. ;)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

For myself, I've owned two Akubra Feds and was never happy with the feel or look. I finally bought one of Garrison's Cairo distressed hats and absolutely love it... Now.

When it arrived he had dusted and distressed it to fit the "Streets of Cairo" look to a "T" but what looks good on screen looked overboard to me. It had a lot of fuller's earth and was too much in my opinion. What I really wanted was a beaten up, kinda looks like the movie, but really doesn't because the distressing is actually a lot.

What I got was probably the most screen accurate hat I've seen but the problem is that what looks great on the screen, or for Halloween parties, isn't for day to day wear(to me). I didn't know what I wanted I guess? David gave me exactly what he said he would. It was a wonderfully distressed hat.

That said, I ended up,wearing it in the rain a few times to "clean" it up. Now it has the desired bash and is distressed but not to the extent of the movie. So, I'd suggest if you buy from him think about just how distressed you want it. He can make it as SA as you want.

But like its been said before Penman makes a beautiful hat as well. I haven't physically seen or owned one but I trust the 100's of reviews I've read on the site. He sources his felt from the same place AB gets theirs and it is an amaaaaazing felt(Garrison's is great too). The guys in Winchester really know their stuff.

Whatever you get just make sure how distressed you want it. I didn't consider just how distressed it was in the Cairo portion of Raiders. That was my own mistake. Just be sure you know how your going to wear it. If you want the bash and it to be "worn out" for day-to-day wear just consider having whatever hatter you choose to go lightly.

Just a thought,

:TOH:
-The Dude
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Thank you all for your help in this. Everyone here is always helpful.
This is the current raiders I have. A peters bros I got back in 2008

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's a great looking PB!

I agree with The Dude, the full on SOC look is too costumey for my taste. Any of the makers can adjust the level of dusting, etc. the hats get. Sounds like your preference would be 'less is more'. One thing to keep in mind, whereas all the makers work to make the hats looks worn out and beat up, none of them actually damage the felt in any way that would compromise the integrity of the felt or life of the hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Thanks on the comment about my pb. It's the stiff blend version and I think that's why the bash isn't exactly how I like it. I try to make the deep bash with the sharp diagonal lines from top hat to the ribbon. It seems more rounder then sharp edges as SA.

I am debating on penman or garrison now. And probably gonna go with the nice perfect lines of the ideol grab scene but with a little dust distressing on it. Maybe like around the ribbon and light around the bash areas. I have seen some with way too much distress and looked way over board. As much as I would love to get a beaver I might have to go with rabbit. My PB is rabbit/beaver blend. And defiantly get the turn. But maybe ask for the turn as the Cairo as The swoop looks more characteristic here. So I might have a hybrid. SOC slight distress with SOC turn with the larger swoop but have the idol grab scene perfect bash with the perfect diagonal lines on the side. I love that part of the raiders it's my favorite which is what I wish my PB had.
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

When I have time, I still made a SOC hat.

http://www.fedoraiders.com/hats.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

indyfan1234 wrote:Thanks on the comment about my pb. It's the stiff blend version and I think that's why the bash isn't exactly how I like it. I try to make the deep bash with the sharp diagonal lines from top hat to the ribbon. It seems more rounder then sharp edges as SA.

I am debating on penman or garrison now. And probably gonna go with the nice perfect lines of the ideol grab scene but with a little dust distressing on it. Maybe like around the ribbon and light around the bash areas. I have seen some with way too much distress and looked way over board. As much as I would love to get a beaver I might have to go with rabbit. My PB is rabbit/beaver blend. And defiantly get the turn. But maybe ask for the turn as the Cairo as The swoop looks more characteristic here. So I might have a hybrid. SOC slight distress with SOC turn with the larger swoop but have the idol grab scene perfect bash with the perfect diagonal lines on the side. I love that part of the raiders it's my favorite which is what I wish my PB had.

That shouldn't be a problem at all.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

indyfan1234 wrote:Hey there I'm going to be in the market for a streets of Cairo Indy hat. Pretty much want a distressed raiders fedora. But I don't want the full hat distress where it's hugely misshapen or what not. Pretty much perfect Indy shaped hat (idol scene perfect) with Cairo dirt and dust. Not the actual hat distress of the shape. Just the dust and dirt parts. (Hope that all made sense.) was thinking penman. But any other suggestions would be helpful.

Garrison Hatters!
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Sorry about the delay.

Here is a side by side comparison between Penman and Garrison Cairos

Garrison on the left - Penman on the right.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:Sorry about the delay.

Here is a side by side comparison between Penman and Garrison Cairos

Garrison on the left - Penman on the right.

Ill take both. Need my shipping address? ;)
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

While every vendor makes a killer version of the Cairo Hat, I am just going to put it out there that Jason L. (fedoraraiders) makes the absolute most accurate of all........IMO! :#: I have owned his hats and sat in front of the TV and watched those scenes in slow-mo freeze frame (and you all know how annoying that is for the entire family) and matched up every dust detail from every angle. Follow his link and see for yourself. It is literally dusted and marked precisely to the film hat in every angle and position. Unfortunately, he does not make and sell hats on a regular basis so you just kinda have to keep your fingers crossed that he puts one up in the bizzarre. I no longer own them as my wide head kept distorting the brim on them so I couldnt get them to look like I wanted on me with that awesome swoop but, they are definitely the MOST accurate looking Cairo hats I have EVER seen. He has perfected the "back humps" the crushed look to the sides, and I was overly impressed with the perfect dusting of the ribbon and bow.....the small circles around the stitch marks were the perfect match up in size, intensity(not too dark dusty but not to light dusty) the very light but visible stains on the front of the brim ( watch the scene where he reaches into his pocket to throw money to the beggars) the are some very light spots over the right eye and he put them in....same size, same shape, same color...)
Most of the other hats I`ve seen seem to just have dust put on them in close approximation to the film hat but Jason nailed it speck for speck!

I would like to add that I am in waiting mode for a Steele & Jones Cairo hat. I was impressed with the pictures I`ve seen especially on some gentlemen that have a wider looking head or face. They do a great job matching your face and head to the correct looking hat so...... [-o<
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Only speaking for myself. I never make claim I make the best Cairo or even the best Riders hat. I want to make the best Raiders hat but minus the poor craftsmanship and with better material. I personally don't like doing the Cairo. I put in a lot of hours to craft the best quality hat just to then make it look (well sorry guys and dolls) like a broken mess. I also have the understanding that if I spend my time putting in every bump, dimple , crease and sweat stain. That after wearing and handling it will change. It will take on the customers own personality. so, all that effort is loss once starts to wear it. I still make the customer because like everyone here, Im a indy fan and I want to make you guys and dolls happy. Just as i want to make every customer happy.

My advise is. If you want a SA cairo hat to plop up on the mantle or display. Please by all means there are others that do a great job at it. If you want a Raiders hat That is SA but was built to last on the adventures of Indy and made with care to the craft of hat making then thats me. I want my hats to be worn not sit on a shelf.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

I would like to mention that the OP wanted more of a Raiders Idol grab fedora, with a little bit of dust. I suggested it earlier, but I suggest getting a Penman. I've had my beaver brown Raiders for a little over a year; it's gotten better with age. (It's also Bulldog tough.) ;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

That's not a problem at all. I can do that but just wanted to put out there on why I do what I'd do. I don't see the logic in getting every little dimple or crease in a hat and add all the fillers earth and all. Then after you wear it the hat changes. That's why when I make myself a Raiders hat I crease it with a over all Raiders crease using my block, creasing it off center and of course using the true Indy ribbon. Sewing the stitches where and how they should have been but for customers I will tailor it to whatever they want.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Just posting on this thread to THANKS Gorak for his kind words on our hats.
We appreciate so much the referral, and recognition on the effort we put on every work in trying to achieve the most screen-accurate look.

Also, I have to agree with John.
If you want a perfect fedora, tough, and durable for many generations, thats' a Penman (as much as an AB).
No doubt.

Regards.-
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

My advise is. If you want a SA cairo hat to plop up on the mantle or display. Please by all means there are others that do a great job at it. If you want a Raiders hat That is SA but was built to last on the adventures of Indy and made with care to the craft of hat making then thats me. I want my hats to be worn not sit on a shelf.
If it makes you feel better I decided to WEAR my Penman Cairo today.

(Although I know John hates to beat up on one of his hats, I don't think it qualifies as a broken mess because the quality of the workmanship still comes through loud and clear.)

And yes, they do change over time and with wear, but they still have that worn in look without having been beaten to the point of falling apart.

I think that the advantage of buying one of the "pre-aged" hats is you get the look, the razor thin front crease and the softened brim break, made by someone who knows what they are doing. Which, from what I can see, minimizes the inevitable weakness in the felt that results from squeezing it into a tight crease.

That said, if you wear one of the quality hats that are available out there regularly, and use them for what they were designed for, i.e. protection from the elements, over time they start to pick up all the character of the Cairo hat - just a character specific to you. Which is probably why on any given day I just grab #198 and go.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Correct. The Cairo I make looks like a mess but isn't a mess. It still will hold up, it's just to me hard to put that in a nice hat box and ship that off looking like that.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

To me the Cairo hat is like the Raiders jacket. It is so unique in its appearance with regards to all the Indy movies and perhaps all the fedoras in film history and people fall in love with different nuances and can pick it apart in every detail if you wanted.....BUT its origins, design and creation are muddled in movie history and we can just depend on all these great hat vendors to create the design to the best of their ability in their best concepts.

I realize that the poster described a lesser beaten hat but the title of the post caught my attention! :D
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

It depends on what you want in a fedora and if you want a predistressed fedora with the Fuller's Earth and all from the "Streets of Cairo " ..... John Penman at Penman Hats is your man !!! Me personally I want to earn my dirt and distress in the field, traveling, vacations etc. whatever but if you want the best take my recommendation, you won't be sorry.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

That's exactly how I would like it. Customer buys a hat from me and wears the heck out of it on his own adventure. Not for me to distress it artificially.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Here's one everyone needs to remember, there were several hats made and worn for just the " Streets of Cairo " scene. Also factor in that those shots were made over the period of a week, maybe two ( everyone except Spielberg got sick during that shoot), and there were several takes in between where Ford took the hat off and put it back on and so on. Really if you want to be anal, you need to be specific to which frame in which shot during the " Streets of Cairo " sequence. :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

micsteam wrote:Here's one everyone needs to remember, there were several hats made and worn for just the " Streets of Cairo " scene. Also factor in that those shots were made over the period of a week, maybe two ( everyone except Spielberg got sick during that shoot), and there were several takes in between where Ford took the hat off and put it back on and so on. Really if you want to be anal, you need to be specific to which frame in which shot during the " Streets of Cairo " sequence. :TOH:
Don't we also have to get sick -- too #-o ? :rolling: ! Sorry, couldn't pass this opportunity up! W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

micsteam wrote:Here's one everyone needs to remember, there were several hats made and worn for just the " Streets of Cairo " scene. Also factor in that those shots were made over the period of a week, maybe two ( everyone except Spielberg got sick during that shoot), and there were several takes in between where Ford took the hat off and put it back on and so on. Really if you want to be anal, you need to be specific to which frame in which shot during the " Streets of Cairo " sequence. :TOH:

Why???? Once you start to wear it and handle the hat it will change. Unless its going to sit on display .
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Why???? Once you start to wear it and handle the hat it will change. Unless its going to sit on display .
True enough. But they morph into a new shape differently from a "new" one.

It's a lot more "sloppy-casual" if that makes sense

BUT - i think the naturally aged one still ends up becoming much more a part of the person wearing it. It picks up its idiosyncrasies from the way the wearer handles it. Kind of like an old baseball glove or a favorite pair of shoes.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Ill never understand the lengths some go to for "screen accuracy". From obsessing about pocket snaps and buckles, to zipper sides, to hat dirt. Its amazing. I respect it as a hobby and understand completely, but I'd have a nervous breakdown trying to be as accurate as some of you gents. More power to ya!
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I was just saying if you're going to go too far with screen accuracy of the SOC fedora you could go to that extent !! I'm not saying one should, you guys do whatever or model your hat to the extent you want. Personally, I like the Raiders fedora clean with me wearing it and putting the miles on it with my own traveling and experiences.
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

Gorak wrote:While every vendor makes a killer version of the Cairo Hat, I am just going to put it out there that Jason L. (fedoraraiders) makes the absolute most accurate of all........IMO! :#: I have owned his hats and sat in front of the TV and watched those scenes in slow-mo freeze frame (and you all know how annoying that is for the entire family) and matched up every dust detail from every angle. Follow his link and see for yourself. It is literally dusted and marked precisely to the film hat in every angle and position. Unfortunately, he does not make and sell hats on a regular basis so you just kinda have to keep your fingers crossed that he puts one up in the bizzarre. I no longer own them as my wide head kept distorting the brim on them so I couldnt get them to look like I wanted on me with that awesome swoop but, they are definitely the MOST accurate looking Cairo hats I have EVER seen. He has perfected the "back humps" the crushed look to the sides, and I was overly impressed with the perfect dusting of the ribbon and bow.....the small circles around the stitch marks were the perfect match up in size, intensity(not too dark dusty but not to light dusty) the very light but visible stains on the front of the brim ( watch the scene where he reaches into his pocket to throw money to the beggars) the are some very light spots over the right eye and he put them in....same size, same shape, same color...)
Most of the other hats I`ve seen seem to just have dust put on them in close approximation to the film hat but Jason nailed it speck for speck!

I would like to add that I am in waiting mode for a Steele & Jones Cairo hat. I was impressed with the pictures I`ve seen especially on some gentlemen that have a wider looking head or face. They do a great job matching your face and head to the correct looking hat so...... [-o<

Thank you very much for your good words about my hats, I appreciate this very much.
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

And I still do an excellent SOC. ;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I just came over this photo...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;