Share your Indy Guns!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Share your Indy Guns!

Post by RayROnline »

Mountaineer wrote:My recently acquired, then self-reworked, 1917 got a new home today.

Two more views (interior and back) at the link: http://imageshack.us/g/4/p1020008o.jpg/
Sweet :tup:
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

OK, guess I should break out a few shots of this. It completely slipped my mind. This is my recent Webley Greener with the new Lee Keppler LC holster (took about a week to arrive =) and TODDS belt.

It is actually a bit darker in person. Shots were taken in late afternoon, outside, with flash assist. Sadly, there is no whip holder on it yet. I'm still waiting on Wade Egan for that. But, heck, it's only been 5 months.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Ray, thanks for the thumbs up.

Your new rig looks pretty sweet as well.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Nice Mountaineer, very nice, great job !!! Ray that's a really nice, nice Webley holster !!! I have a S&W HE .45 and I have a nice Canadian service holster that's universal to both the Webley and S&W but I'm looking for a more form fitting holster to the S&W. I'm trying to find a Raiders holster and have the maker make it longer for the stock 6" barrel.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

RayROnline wrote:OK, guess I should break out a few shots of this. It completely slipped my mind. This is my recent Webley Greener with the new Lee Keppler LC holster (took about a week to arrive =) and TODDS belt.

It is actually a bit darker in person. Shots were taken in late afternoon, outside, with flash assist. Sadly, there is no whip holder on it yet. I'm still waiting on Wade Egan for that. But, heck, it's only been 5 months.
Stop, im jealous ;)

I am a very serious gun collector, and you are making me veerryy anxious to spend money. You guys are horrible for my bank account. Indygear doesnt help either!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I was thinking on buying a S&W .38 police model (I know, not an indy gun) I was wondering though if any experts here think it would fit in the S&W Raiders holster?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I have a rubber training gun cast from a .38 S&W and it fits fine in my Raider holster.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

backstagejack wrote:I was thinking on buying a S&W .38 police model (I know, not an indy gun) I was wondering though if any experts here think it would fit in the S&W Raiders holster?
I know the Raiders holster I made, using the template on the main site, will fit a 4-inch S&W N-frame (1917), a S&W 4-inch K-frame (Police .38) and a Nagant M1895.

Probably any 4-inch barreled revolver would fit in there just fine.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Mountaineer wrote:
backstagejack wrote:I was thinking on buying a S&W .38 police model (I know, not an indy gun) I was wondering though if any experts here think it would fit in the S&W Raiders holster?
I know the Raiders holster I made, using the template on the main site, will fit a 4-inch S&W N-frame (1917), a S&W 4-inch K-frame (Police .38) and a Nagant M1895.

Probably any 4-inch barreled revolver would fit in there just fine.

awesome!!! I figured you guys would know! Now, I know what holster to buy!!!

Thanks!!
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

It will be a little loose in there as the frames, as mentioned by Mountaineer, are different. The .45 HE is an "N" frame and the .38 is a smaller "K" frame.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I picked this up last week from my local gun shop - a Colt Official Police .38 special ala Temple of Doom. A little anachronistic- this one's from 1955.

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

cm289 wrote:I picked this up last week from my local gun shop - a Colt Official Police .38 special ala Temple of Doom. A little anachronistic- this one's from 1955.

Nice Colt cm289!!. Looks exactly like mine. Can you tell me if your grips are plastic or real wood. I think Colt used their "Coltwood" plastic grips on most of these revolvers but I do think some were made with real wood grips.

These Colt Official Police models are truly a great example of a classic .38 special!!

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

These are wood grips. I think Colt used wood up until WWII, then plastic until '54, and back to wood until they discontinued the model. I haven't shot it yet, but the action is very smooth. =P~
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:I picked this up last week from my local gun shop - a Colt Official Police .38 special ala Temple of Doom. A little anachronistic- this one's from 1955.

Awesome. What did she set you back if you dont mind me asking?
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Picked it up for $350- probably should have haggled a bit but I didn't mind the price. The sad thing is I work for a police department that has a policy of destroying guns held in evidence when the case is done (as opposed to auctioning them or donating to museums) and we chopped one up into little pieces a few weeks ago- it was in pristine condition, probably used to belong to Boston PD based on the markings.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Picked it up for $350- probably should have haggled a bit but I didn't mind the price. The sad thing is I work for a police department that has a policy of destroying guns held in evidence when the case is done (as opposed to auctioning them or donating to museums) and we chopped one up into little pieces a few weeks ago- it was in pristine condition, probably used to belong to Boston PD based on the markings.

Same here, my department does that as well. Very sad!
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Nice gun, enjoy !!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

. The SAA had a cameo in LC.

My Ruger New Vaquero .357 magnum. Got it Friday. Fantastic revolver.

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Sweet Ruger! I just won an Uberti Cattleman on Gunbroker. I'll post some pics when it comes in.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Sweet Ruger! I just won an Uberti Cattleman on Gunbroker. I'll post some pics when it comes in.

HA! Uberti Cattleman! I have one and it is FANTASTIC! Mine is the Cattleman Hombre matte blue in .45 colt with a 4 3/4" bbl. I won it for $250 new in box. Youll love it for sure. Now you need a cowboy rig to carry it around. I had an issue with the Uberti after a few hundred rounds. I sent it to their warranty shop which is about 3 hours from me. 2 weeks later it came back fixed under warranty, and the action was slicked up!!!! FIRST RATE customer service. You got a great gun. I also have the Uberti 1860 Army. Great!

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Wow- that's a great price! As it happens, I do have a cowboy rig. I picked up a Ruger New Vaquero from Davidson's a few years ago and decided I needed a Clint Eastwood rig for it. I got the belt from Reddog Leather on ebay- very reasonable prices, and a wide variety of styles.

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Here's my TOD/KotCS Thompson. Unfortunately, it'll be about 6 months before I get a better picture of it- waiting for my tax stamp to clear BATF. I'm planning on putting a horizontal foregrip on it to make it look more GI. It's a West Hurley, but beggars can't be choosers!

Last edited by cm289 on Fri May 30, 2014 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cm289 that is awesome! My plan for the Thompson is to get an M1 Thompson and SBR it, then get the Pulse Rifle Kit they sell for the air soft version. Ill modify it to fit a real one and BAM! I can walk around yelling "game over man game over!"
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Hahahaha- that's hilarious! I won this Brazilian Contract M1917 last week, just delivered today. It's got a few small rust spots, but overall it's in great shape.

Last edited by cm289 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Hahahaha- that's hilarious! I won this Brazilian Contract M1917 last week, just delivered today. It's got a few small rust spots, but overall it's in great shape.

YOU'RE killing me! Can you tell me about the Brazilian Contract guns and pricing? I dont known anything about them.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Brazil ordered 25,000 S&W M1917s in 1937 for their army- these have Brazil's star logo on the right side of the frame, and most have an improved rear sight channel. Towards the end of the contract, S&W used left over WWI parts, so some of the guns shipped out in 1946 actually have older features than the ones shipped out in the 30s.

Traditionally the Brazil guns didn't have much collector value, but that seems to be changing and prices are rising. A few years ago they could be had for $200-350, but almost all of the recent ones I've seen are $400+ and most aren't in that great of shape- really rusty or scratched up. I paid $495 for this one- it has very little rust and almost all of it's bluing so it may have been refinished, but that doesn't matter to me as long as it looks good. There's several on gunbroker right now for between $350 to $1500! I've been looking for a decent 1917 (non-Brazil) for several years but all the decent one's I've seen have been $800+. All the Indy fans are drying up the good deals!
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-e ... force.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's some good info on Brazilians from the S&W board
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Awesome thanks!
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Here's my FEG PJK-9HP 9mm. These guns were reverse-engineered, unlicensed clones of the Browning Hi-Power made in Hungary, with parts that are interchangeable with actual Hi-Powers. Older FEGs (like this one) have some of the prettiest bluing I've ever seen; a deep, dark, black finish.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Here's my FEG PJK-9HP 9mm. These guns were reverse-engineered, unlicensed clones of the Browning Hi-Power made in Hungary, with parts that are interchangeable with actual Hi-Powers. Older FEGs (like this one) have some of the prettiest bluing I've ever seen; a deep, dark, black finish.

Nice! Those FEGs are hard to find with a finish THAT good. Did you ask for a hand pick?
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

The market has been steady for S&W HE2s in and around $800 to $1500 ( I feel anything over $1000 is too much to ask, at least at the market rate). I bought my BEF (British Expeditionary Force WWI 1915) S&W .45 (yeah cylinder was cut down for .45 ACP) for $850 delivered in 2006, it looks like the market hasn't changed much for this gun since then. ChrisMD nice Ruger !!! I think you'll be very happy... if not already. Also Chris check this link out for that Thompson conversion idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83OpGosZwyY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . cm289, nice guns, I think you did very well with that Brazilian contarct S&W. I really like Ubertis, I am in the works for a Walker and a 1875 Army .45( that I have plans to make like Blanca's Remington at the very beginning of Raiders). :TOH:
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

ChrisMD wrote: Nice! Those FEGs are hard to find with a finish THAT good. Did you ask for a hand pick?
My dad does a lot of wheeling and dealing at gun shows and picked it up from someone. He was showing me his latest acquisitions and when I saw it I knew it had to be mine. He let me have it for what paid - $200. I have a Browning Practical .40 but I almost like this one better. My dad is always finding great deals, but I usually find out about them after he's sold them to somebody else.

Here's the Uberti I got from Gunbroker last week, delivered today. The charcoal bluing is so much nicer in person than in this photo-

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:
ChrisMD wrote: Nice! Those FEGs are hard to find with a finish THAT good. Did you ask for a hand pick?
My dad does a lot of wheeling and dealing at gun shows and picked it up from someone. He was showing me his latest acquisitions and when I saw it I knew it had to be mine. He let me have it for what paid - $200. I have a Browning Practical .40 but I almost like this one better. My dad is always finding great deals, but I usually find out about them after he's sold them to somebody else.

Here's the Uberti I got from Gunbroker last week, delivered today. The charcoal bluing is so much nicer in person than in this photo-

Color me envious! I love the case hardened and charcoal blue finish contrast. Mine is just matte blue. Here are some of my shootin' irons.

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

@ micsteam- I like your plan to get the Remington. That's on my 'want' list as well.

@ ChrisMD- What are the gun laws like in MD? In the wild, wild, NM wasteland, anything goes, but I would've thought MD would have made it hard-to-impossible to get evil black rifles.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

WHOA!

Let's please keep in mind the rules for this section of the forum that gun laws/politics related to are not to be discussed. This is a forum to discuss the guns used in the Indy canon.

To that end, let's please keep the posting to guns used/seen in the Indy canon and not other modern arms. :TOH:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

D'oh! Whoops
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:@ micsteam- I like your plan to get the Remington. That's on my 'want' list as well.

@ ChrisMD- What are the gun laws like in MD? In the wild, wild, NM wasteland, anything goes, but I would've thought MD would have made it hard-to-impossible to get evil black rifles.

Since we arent supposed to go there and I totally respect the rules, ill say this. MD is AWFUL! But im moving to Colorado next fall. So Im excited for Indygear in the mountains. Better weather too. A leather jacket even in fall sticks to you because of the humidity here in MD. To the point where certain felt hats actually lose shape from being outside, but come back once you get into the AC. I thought my Indy hat was ruined on a camping trip but it went right back after.

I would love to shoot my friend's MP40 in Indygear. He promised me...one day. :)
Cajunkraut

Re: Share your Guns!

Post by Cajunkraut »

Solent MKIII wrote:
Dragonlady Jones wrote:
rbinko2001 wrote:I recently purchased a S&W Model 22 with a 4" barrel.
;0
Yeah, you just can't tell us what you've got and not share a picture with us [-(. I dig on my M22. That sucker is one loud, mule-kicking little hand-cannon! :D

Image Image

( and I'm officially envious of you, alphared. Only a 'hunard dollars'?! :o That's just criminal! :Dietrich: )

EDIT: My bad, alphared - it was indeed $75 and not a 'hunard' dollars - I didn't re-read your post before posting myself. Congrats on a true steal :tup:.
Solent, beautiful Model 22. Just picked one up myself in the case color finish - pic forthcoming.
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Not my photo, but an identical twin to my 'close enough' S&W Model 22-4, 4 inch bbl., case color finish, in .45 ACP.

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Nice pic! :tup:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Not my photo, but an identical twin to my 'close enough' S&W Model 22-4, 4 inch bbl., case color finish, in .45 ACP.

WOWOWOWOWOW that is BEAUTFUL pistol. I am a sucker for case hardened revolvers and, I'd do unspeakable things for that revolver. However I wont go as far as watching crystal skull again.... Everyone has a line. ;)
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:Not my photo, but an identical twin to my 'close enough' S&W Model 22-4, 4 inch bbl., case color finish, in .45 ACP.

WOWOWOWOWOW that is BEAUTFUL pistol. I am a sucker for case hardened revolvers and, I'd do unspeakable things for that revolver. However I wont go as far as watching crystal skull again.... Everyone has a line. ;)
Thanks, Chris!

Since it's no longer in production, I paid through the nose, but I just had to have it. From what I understand, there weren't too many of the case coloreds released to begin with.

...And we certainly wouldn't expect anyone to compromise their principles here at COW. ;)
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Chris,

A couple more family photos for ya...

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Chris,

A couple more family photos for ya...

ILL TAKE IT! Ill PM you the info for my FFL. Such a generous gift.

I wish haha

Really nice pistol! I need to do some picture taking. Saturday im doing a WW2 day at the range. Enfield no4mk1 (temple of doom style), K98, Garand, Mosin, and Type 38 Arisaka. Of course the SAA's always go regardless, the hi power, and 1911. An AR or two if im feeling hip. All depends what obscure old ammo I can dig up. Either way, itll be a nice day. Ill post some pics.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Recently acquired another one.....the high polish blue model this time.

Fits my AB holster to a "T". Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am. 8)

Photos courtesy of the seller.
Columbiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Columbiana Jones »

My WWII-era S&W Model 10 "Victory":

and

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

NICE one, Columbiana! =P~
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

My bad on earlier thread !! Sorry, just trying to jump start things !! Nice Victory !! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've owned one Victory in my collecting career, and it shaved lead so bad in front of the cylinder on two chambers it would hit anyone standing on either side of me while shooting.

I didn't keep it long, but it sure captured the essence of the Indy revolver without having to find a big expensive N frame Smith.

Regards! Michaelson
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Jumped on this one recently offered in the Cairo Bazaar.

It's an original S&W 1917 with a custom-shortened barrel, just like the screen-used Stembridge. Probably a lend-lease gun, it lacks the S&W logo and instead bears British proof marks. It's still marked "U.S. Army" on the grip's underside.

I'm waiting on a pin to reinstall the included original grip swivel. Now to find some original checkered non-medallion grips...

ImageImageImageImage