Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Bill Kelso's Victory Horsehide Relic Hunter

Post by Canada Jones »

afalzon wrote:yes it will
Thanks. As an aside, I love the Bermans and Nathans tag in the Relic Hunter....
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

afalzon wrote:Have you read that thread on the other forum that Aero defrauded its customers by selling them steer instead of horse?

Perhaps leather is losing or gaining weight during tanning, no idea really.

We have 2 half-belt jackets in the pipeline.
They are both copies of original 1940s jackets and one of them was worn by a fanous actor in a movie.

I'm in. The half-belt is my favourite design.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

afalzon wrote:Have you read that thread on the other forum that Aero defrauded its customers by selling them steer instead of horse?
No, I did not since I have no idea what the other forum is you wrote about. Was this a proven allegation?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

He's not lying about it..
Mis-Sold Steerhide/Horsehide Jackets (Mid 2010-Sept 2012)
04 Dec 2012

In September 2012 the original founders of Aero (Ken and Lydia Calder) returned to the company, replacing the management team which had been in place since 2004 - none of whom are any longer employed by Aero.

Aero is now, once again, being run in the way it was run from 1981 to 2004.

During November 2012 it came to our attention that the previous management of Aero Leather have been responsible for the mis-selling of some Aero Leather jackets. These jackets have been cut from Horween's heavy 4oz Chrome Excell Tanned Steerhide but labelled and sold as Front Quarter Horsehide.

If any customers have purchased any very heavy ‘Horsehide' jackets from Aero Leathers during this period, and are in any doubt about the authenticity of the leather in regard to the labelling used in the product they have received, those customers should email holly@aeroleatherclothing.com. Aero Leather will be happy to inspect the product and confirm what the leather is, and, in appropriate circumstances, offer a replacement jacket.

Several of these mis-labelled jackets have now been examined by both Horween & Aero Leather and we both feel this constitutes a serious misrepresentation that neither Horween nor Aero Leather wish to be associated and we can confirm that we regard this mis-selling as extremely serious. As our loyal and valued customers are aware, customer satisfaction and the authenticity of our products are our paramount considerations.

Please note, this only applies to the very heavy 4 oz Aero Leather jackets made between mid 2010 and Sept 2012. Once again, we can confirm that the persons involved in this mis-selling of Aero jackets are no longer employed by Aero and have absolutely no association with Aero Leather nor with The Horween Leather Company.
From Aero's website...But I can see how you missed it if you don't look at the site everyday....It was all over Fedora Lounge and Film Jackets as well, but those are easily missed too...So..

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/news ... php?id=131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards..
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

...the persons involved in this mis-selling of Aero jackets are no longer employed by Aero and have absolutely no association with Aero Leather nor with The Horween Leather Company.
no association except that their new company buys leathers from Horween.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Yeah...I can't comment on that really....I read it all on the forums, but I don't really care overly about Aero leather (the stuff they make looks good, but I'm nowhere near rich enough to consider them, so...)

So yeah, I'm not well placed to comment on that much really.....You'd know more about it than me... :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

fifthchamber wrote: From Aero's website...But I can see how you missed it if you don't look at the site everyday....It was all over Fedora Lounge and Film Jackets as well, but those are easily missed too...So..

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/news ... php?id=131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards..
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55246&hilit=Aero+Leather" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regard! M
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

fifthchamber wrote:He's not lying about it..
Mis-Sold Steerhide/Horsehide Jackets (Mid 2010-Sept 2012)
04 Dec 2012

In September 2012 the original founders of Aero (Ken and Lydia Calder) returned to the company, replacing the management team which had been in place since 2004 - none of whom are any longer employed by Aero.

Aero is now, once again, being run in the way it was run from 1981 to 2004.

During November 2012 it came to our attention that the previous management of Aero Leather have been responsible for the mis-selling of some Aero Leather jackets. These jackets have been cut from Horween's heavy 4oz Chrome Excell Tanned Steerhide but labelled and sold as Front Quarter Horsehide.

If any customers have purchased any very heavy ‘Horsehide' jackets from Aero Leathers during this period, and are in any doubt about the authenticity of the leather in regard to the labelling used in the product they have received, those customers should email holly@aeroleatherclothing.com. Aero Leather will be happy to inspect the product and confirm what the leather is, and, in appropriate circumstances, offer a replacement jacket.

Several of these mis-labelled jackets have now been examined by both Horween & Aero Leather and we both feel this constitutes a serious misrepresentation that neither Horween nor Aero Leather wish to be associated and we can confirm that we regard this mis-selling as extremely serious. As our loyal and valued customers are aware, customer satisfaction and the authenticity of our products are our paramount considerations.

Please note, this only applies to the very heavy 4 oz Aero Leather jackets made between mid 2010 and Sept 2012. Once again, we can confirm that the persons involved in this mis-selling of Aero jackets are no longer employed by Aero and have absolutely no association with Aero Leather nor with The Horween Leather Company.
From Aero's website...But I can see how you missed it if you don't look at the site everyday....It was all over Fedora Lounge and Film Jackets as well, but those are easily missed too...So..

Regards..
Was just looking for more information to better understand his comment (its the researcher in me....proof proof proof...) so thanks .... A VERY complete response! Thanks to you as well Michaelson. I missed the COW thread as well.
best
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

I just got my Relic Hunter in Victory Horse today and it is absolutely STUNNING! :shock:

The texture is amazing and it's T O U G H... bullet proof. The color is dark brown with a reddish undertone, incredible. By far the most impressive jacket I've ever had, looks like my days of searching are gone with the wind. I have just also been informed by Andy that I'm the only one in ze veeeeeeerld with the RH in VH, how about that! Totally thrilled! It's way better than the lamb if you can believe that.

Will post photos of me wearing it when I get a chance, although pictures will not do it justice. :clap:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 158&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Hurry, man. Hurry!

This is the one I am thinking about getting.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Kubrik wrote:I just got my Relic Hunter in Victory Horse today and it is absolutely STUNNING! :shock:

The texture is amazing and it's T O U G H... bullet proof. The color is dark brown with a reddish undertone, incredible. By far the most impressive jacket I've ever had, looks like my days of searching are gone with the wind. I have just also been informed by Andy that I'm the only one in ze veeeeeeerld with the RH in VH, how about that! Totally thrilled! It's way better than the lamb if you can believe that.

Will post photos of me wearing it when I get a chance, although pictures will not do it justice. :clap:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 158&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm working on purchasing one myself! I am waffling between seal and dark seal, and really really want to see your pictures. I think the seal looks great, and was figuring that the photos on Facebook were a little lighter than the jacket is in person.

You won't be the only one in the world, but you were first!!!
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Canasta wrote:Hurry, man. Hurry!

Ok, here you go. Still doesn't quite get the texture. I will use my better camera when I get a chance and do some good ones.

Wa wee wa wa. :o

Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Hey, Thanks!
And congratulations.

C
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

...and that smell... like Victory.
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

I was just comparing the photos with the jacket and the color is way less reddish in real life. Must be the light blasting on it and the mobile phone camera. Much darker in person I must add, really changes color depending on the lighting.

Can't wait to wear it outside. :D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

when the sun hits your jacket, this will be the color you see.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

That jacket is a work of art! :TOH:
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

It really does look rather red. What kind of light were you in?
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

I have a swatch of the horsehide, and it is not that red. In fact, it's hard for me to find a lighting condition (other than sunset) that make it look red. I was surprised to find in daylight it stayed nice and dark and brown. Maybe in summer sun, it'll turn redder. It is just a touch lighter in colour compared to my Nowak Goat. Anyways, I'm sure Kubrick will step in with better pictures soon!

Here's a picture of the swatch indoors. Fairly accurate to the color, although my iPhone tends to have a darker, bluish center to the images it takes. Note, where I distressed the hide to see what it might look like. Bottom leather is horsehide from Johnson Leather in San Francisco. No comparison, although the Johnson horsehide is soft like lamb, and does get a little grain over time.

Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Here are some more 'sample' pics. Mine arrived in the mail today ... the samples, that is.
The two samples are Kelso's horse hide and Victory horse hide.

Indoor lighting

Outdoor sunshine against my GB in goat.

Indoor light against GB.

It may just be this piece of hide, but when I stretch the Victory, it gets these little crack marks in it.

C
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

It may just be this piece of hide, but when I stretch the Victory, it gets these little crack marks in it.
This is common around the edges of the skin. These parts of the skin are not used in the jackets.
They are thrown away, or sometimes sent to customers requesting for samples.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

afalzon wrote:
This is common around the edges of the skin. These parts of the skin are not used in the jackets.
They are thrown away, or sometimes sent to customers requesting for samples.
Fantastic. Great to know. I really like the samples. Both are great.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

I remember the round one was creased. Sorry that didn't have any better to send you.
What's wonderful about Victory hides is that each skin is unique. That's one of the features of veg tanned aniline hides. They're natural. They 're not all the same like they make the cheap stuff (plastic like).

The Victory horse is indeed the No 1 horsehide in the world.
Go to 5th Avenue in NY, you won't find anything better no matter how fat your wallet is, guaranteed.

One Japanese customer who bought a jacket told us it was a jewel that he will treasure for the rest of his life.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I like the darker brown HH, what is the name for it? What we need is this type of hide pre=distressed especially for the Indy jacket? Talk about vintage feel, that would be the stoke! What we need is a trade-in program on these higher end Kelso's like used cars. :P
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

So, is it still probable that the original HH offering will be discontinued?
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Texan Scott wrote:I like the darker brown HH, what is the name for it? What we need is this type of hide pre=distressed especially for the Indy jacket? Talk about vintage feel, that would be the stoke! What we need is a trade-in program on these higher end Kelso's like used cars. :P
The darker swatch is the Victory horse hide.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Kubrik wrote:
Canasta wrote:Hurry, man. Hurry!

Ok, here you go. Still doesn't quite get the texture. I will use my better camera when I get a chance and do some good ones.

Wa wee wa wa. :o

Hey Kubrik.
When you take more pics, can you take a some with the collar down and the back please ... with sugar.
Can't wait to see more.
Thanks!
C
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Canada Jones wrote:It really does look rather red. What kind of light were you in?
That was just the bathroom light, it's very bright indeed.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Hey Kubric,
Can we get some more pics of that super cool Relic in VHH?
I want to get one an am wavering between the Deluxe HH and the VHH.

How do you like it now that you have had it a while?

Thanks!
Chris
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Canasta wrote:Hey Kubric,

Thanks!
Chris
Love the jacket! It has a lot of texture on it compared to my grainy lamb RH. Very solid, working on softening it up a little more since it is such a tough leather. Very proud of having such a unique jacket, a truly special piece. It really stands out too, the pattern, fit and quality is top notch. I always wanted a Tony Nowak Raiders really badly and now feel that I got something just as good, if not better. Although I can't really say since I've never even touched a TN. It is still shiny but I'm sure that'll come down with wear.

As for photos, I'm planning to take some with my better camera soon, gotta get organized. Might have to get a tripod. You know what, I'll take some of the jacket lying flat... easier for now.
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Canasta wrote:Hey Kubric,

Thanks!
Chris
Ok, here are some more photos. The bottom right is without flash. :H:

Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Nothing like getting a leather jacket on at the beginning of summer.

There is another! 198/1981 (I had no idea how cool that number would look until I pulled out the pocket. It represents my family, my wife was born in Jan, my daughter in Sept, and my son in August)

My quest has ended with this jacket. I've always wanted a horse hide Raiders' jacket, because that's the jacket Indy would have actually had. Plus, I like to think that my jacket will outlive me, and live on for generations. I can sometimes be hard on stuff. I've jumped out of airplanes with my G&B Expo, and broke both arms while wearing it. So lamb just won't cut it. I wanted a jacket that gains character, honestly, and with experience. By the way, I've owned a G&B Expo, a couple of Westeds (lamb and horsehide), a Todd's, two Nowak Raiders.

I gave Andy a hard time about the pattern. I had a Nowak where the collar stuck out too much, given my poor posture. They even sent me a lamb jacket to try, to judge whether the collar would be ok. It was, and my jacket was made before I even knew it had begun. In fact, I saw it on Facebook and was jealous of the future owner, not knowing that owner was me.

I got back from a small trip on Father's Day to find it on the table! What a perfect day to receive it. Pulling it out of the box, hm, it's much stiffer than I expected, very shiny, a little less grainy than I wanted and a little dark. But over the course of the week, I realized that it was perfect! The shininess, the graininess, and even the color would resolve itself over time, as the jacket is being used and abused. It is a new jacket, in search of adventure.

I tested water on the sleeve, and there was significan dye runoff, so I decided to rinse the jacket until the water ran clear (not trying to soak it). I wore it while it dried and boy did it gain character. The color lightened up as well. It'll never have that "swing" to it, like Fox likes to say, but that's ok, I don't look remotely close enough to Indy to be recreating scenes from the movie :)

I've said that I haven't seen a single Bill Kelso jacket that didn't completely capture the Raiders' jacket vibe. It's true of my jacket! Man, I know they based the pattern on Tony's but they've made slight tweaks that just takes it further. Plus, they are absolutely consistent in quality. These guys, in my opinion, are the best in the business. Yes, it comes with a pretty high price tag (I actually think their pricing is reasonable for horsehide, and probably cheap for horsehide of this quality), but that's because we're spoiled with the affordability of Todd's and Westeds. Which is cool, and good for us! Some will put a lot of their money towards hats, or whips. My obsession is the Raider's jacket, but it isn't even Indy's Raider's jacket as seen in the movie, but MY Raider's jacket. This is MY Raider's jacket.

I know, I gotta get pics of me wearing it. I hope to have some by the end of the weekend! You'll have to make due with a pic of my son wearing it.
Other pics
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WwFY ... C02596.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fVXc ... C02598.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j833 ... C02604.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like a beautiful jacket. ALso, love how the photo was taken at the grocery store... Ah, the true life adventures!
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Canada Jones wrote:Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like a beautiful jacket. ALso, love how the photo was taken at the grocery store... Ah, the true life adventures!
Yeah, he said he was cold, and wanted my jacket :) My wife was laughing how I spent all of last weekend doing housework while wearing it.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

The jacket looks gorgeous! I had no idea that Bill Kelso could send you a sample jacket to try on for sizing purposes. Had I known I would've requested that, as it seems like a great idea. Congratulations on the jacket, looks great! ;) :TOH:
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Baldwyn wrote:
Canada Jones wrote:Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like a beautiful jacket. ALso, love how the photo was taken at the grocery store... Ah, the true life adventures!
Yeah, he said he was cold, and wanted my jacket :) My wife was laughing how I spent all of last weekend doing housework while wearing it.
From the way you described the jacket chances are it will be his one day! What was the cost of this jacket by the way with shipping and duties factored in?
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Canada Jones wrote:
Baldwyn wrote:
From the way you described the jacket chances are it will be his one day! What was the cost of this jacket by the way with shipping and duties factored in?
Yeah, my sleeves are just a little too long, but that's ok, because my son will probably be taller than me! I asked him if he liked my new jacket, and he said he likes ALL of my jackets. This was 940 euros, including the 40 for shipping. I didn't have to pay any duty. I think that was $1200 US

Here's a photo of all the horsehide samples I have:
L to R Johnson's, Vanson, and one undistressed Seal Victory horse, and one distressed Seal Victory horse.

The Johnson's is thin, very drapey, and gained character just through carrying in my pocket. I think it might make an interesting project, although it's not of the same quality as the victory horse.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Yer killing me, Smalls!
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Great looking leather but I could not justify the cost. Man, I hope you have it insured.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

One of the nicest looking Raiders jackets that I have saw! The leather is pretty crazy man. Did they have to tweak the collar at all for you as you had said the TN was sticking out?
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

TheExit148 wrote:One of the nicest looking Raiders jackets that I have saw! The leather is pretty crazy man. Did they have to tweak the collar at all for you as you had said the TN was sticking out?
Thank you! I think my jacket's collar was wonkier because of my sizing tweaks (my jacket was longer in the back). I have another TN jacket that is fine, and I've handled two other Relic Hunters where their collars behave pretty well. So no tweaking necessary.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Baldwyn, the Johnson's drapes so well because it is 2.25oz horse so it's what they call mid-weight. The BK horse is 3 oz so it's substantially heftier.
Pete#9
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pete#9 »

Congrats! Looks great and horsehide is perfect for hard wearing jackets.
Have you ever tried a goatskin model? They hold up pretty well too.

Enjoy the jacket!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Pete#9 wrote:Congrats! Looks great and horsehide is perfect for hard wearing jackets.
Have you ever tried a goatskin model? They hold up pretty well too.

Enjoy the jacket!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! I've had a G&B goatskin, and Nowak goatskin jacket. Both jackets were great, and the Nowak goatskin was one of the best leathers I have ever seen for a Raider's jacket. But horsehide had become some sort of obsession for me :)
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

I finally got around to taking some more photos of my Relic Hunter, Hawaiian style, Victory horsehide jacket. :D

Here is a sample and a link to more images at Photobucket, hope you like. :TOH:

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Kubri ... t=3&page=1

Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Sweet jacket, Kubrik! Your jacket looks more supple than mine. Mine doesn't really drape yet. Both are fantastic!
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I love how beautifully this jacket drapes! It looks much broken in and very Raiders esque. I absolutely just love it! Thanks for sharing :TOH:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Kubrik wrote:I finally got around to taking some more photos of my Relic Hunter, Hawaiian style, Victory horsehide jacket. :D

Here is a sample and a link to more images at Photobucket, hope you like. :TOH:

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Kubri ... t=3&page=1

One of the best Indy jackets I've ever seen. The leather is awesome. :TOH:
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Thats incredible looking horse.