Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by CM »

Your sleeves look fine to me in the pics. There does seem to be a fashion for overly long sleeves these days. I think you'll always see the fold where the sleeve used to end, so that might spoil the jacket's look.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

I agree, your sleeves never looked too short. It's only because of CS that we think of his sleeves being so long. When the first photos from CS hit, we thought it looked ridiculous, and now think it's the norm. But once you nitpick one small detail, sometimes it's hard to get over it. Anyways, the only time I'm overly sensitive about short sleeves is on a motorcycle jacket and you don't want to wear a lamb jacket on a motorcycle anyways.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I have issues with jackets that look this good with arms to the side, but when arms are raised (say, to reach out to hold a steering wheel) all of your wrist is exposed, almost to the forearm due to the ride up of the leather in the elbows. :?

Longer is always better to me in the 'real world'. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

My main concern was when the sleeves start to bunch up, it would end up at a spot above my wrist. If feel really conflicted right now, though. Andy tells me that the leather will not bunch up because it is soft and supple and only stiff leathers will bunch and crease in the arms. If I should get the sleeves lengthed, now is my only time to do so while the jacket is still new but I am also concerned about the jacket being messed up if I do get it done.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Debating whether to post this or not BUT.....
In reference to the photo above AFTER it has been "color corrected", the color looks right on to my "authentic Brown" straited lamb relic hunter AND it is short but not crazy short. The belt it rests at in the pic is the gunbelt, which is slung low due to the weight.
](*,)
Just sayin'
:Plymouth:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Bdgsi11 wrote:My main concern was when the sleeves start to bunch up, it would end up at a spot above my wrist. If feel really conflicted right now, though. Andy tells me that the leather will not bunch up because it is soft and supple and only stiff leathers will bunch and crease in the arms. If I should get the sleeves lengthed, now is my only time to do so while the jacket is still new but I am also concerned about the jacket being messed up if I do get it done.
Leave well enough alone.

Like I said, I stated MY preference, and all my jackets, soft OR stiff leather have bunched up at the elbow with use.....but that said, you're jacket isn't so bad. I'd say you're right 'on the bubble' on doing it, so it would really be a toss of the coin for me if that was my jacket.

Regards! M
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I just spoke with the seamstress and she said that after letting the sleeves out, there will be a sharp crease at the point where they once were that will always be there no matter how hard one tries to smooth it out. After hearing that I've decided to just leave it alone and deal with it. Maybe, since it is lambskin and the softest I've handled at that, the leather will stretch out a bit with some wear.....hopefully. [-o<
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Bdgsi11 wrote:I just spoke with the seamstress and she said that after letting the sleeves out, there will be a sharp crease at the point where they once were that will always be there no matter how hard one tries to smooth it out. After hearing that I've decided to just leave it alone and deal with it. Maybe, since it is lambskin and the softest I've handled at that, the leather will stretch out a bit with some wear.....hopefully. [-o<
Good choice. I just looked at your pics again...it really looks right to me. Looks great on you! :tup:
twistedotter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by twistedotter »

I have to agree with the others. In the pics your sleeves look perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.
mtrixman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mtrixman »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Here are some shots with some quick gear thrown on. I, personally, think that the authentic brown color is perfect for the Raiders jacket.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... 0EB4A3.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... F7CBC7.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... CEC797.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... 97729E.jpg
Cool pics. Slightly off topic but where did you get the holster?
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Thanks. I got the holster from Todd's Costumes.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/m ... r-raiders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Bdgsi11 wrote:I just spoke with the seamstress and she said that after letting the sleeves out, there will be a sharp crease at the point where they once were that will always be there no matter how hard one tries to smooth it out. After hearing that I've decided to just leave it alone and deal with it. Maybe, since it is lambskin and the softest I've handled at that, the leather will stretch out a bit with some wear.....hopefully. [-o<

Yep that's what I said earlier. I have never seen let out sleeves look good. They are great as they are. By the way, I can't speak for others but I've never had any sleeves bunch up in 30 years and having owned dozens of leather jackets.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

That's interesting. :-k Do you condition your jackets regularly, then?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

She's not quite correct. =;

I had a G&B goatskin that I had the sleeves let out, and ended up with the mentioned 'sharp creases'. I had to send the jacket back to G&B for a zipper repair, and they had a special fitting for their steam ironer that completely pressed out the creases on the cuffs. You can't even tell they had been let out.

So, though not a regular fiting at shops, creases can be removed with the proper equipment.

Also keep in mind, all leather is is, well, skin! A 'trick of the trade' is to wet the crease down, then place a heavy weight (like a cast iron skillet) on top and allow to dry. You'll be amazed how much of a crease will disappear after this kind of application is done. Like I said, this is an old 'trick of the trade' with leather crafts people.

Regards! Michaelson
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I let out the sleeves on my Todd's jacket, and like M said, a little water/steam will do wonders.
you can't even tell it was once creased.
However, If you are going to have them let out, do it before you get too much wear on the edges of the cuffs. While a crease can be "ironed out", a distress line in the finish is not as easy to hide.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You can hide it with brown Pecards, though. :TOH:
Regard! Michaelson
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I find as long as leather isn't torn or ripped, you can hide nearly any minor imperfection. Consider most leather you see has had the original finish removed and a new, more perfect grain embossed on it, and covered in lacquer.

Since leather is inconsistent anyway, imperfections are easier to hide than say, a automobile finish. But the cuff creases are very obvious after you let the sleeves out, and without an iron, they don't go away quickly, if at all.

I had pretty good luck doing that on a Todd's and a Wings with water and working the creases by hand. I have another jacket now, though, that I guess is going to need heat. Seems the thinner the hide, the harder it is to get out the creases, IMO. And the thin hide is more fragile.

Like M says, the experts know the tricks.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Bdgsi11 wrote:That's interesting. :-k Do you condition your jackets regularly, then?
No.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Some shots of my black cow Relic Hunter. This is getting more and more character as I wear it ...

Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Nice jacket! :H: :TOH: It has a very beautiful draping effect for cow hide. The characteristics look similar to lamb.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Nice jacket! :H: :TOH: It has a very beautiful draping effect for cow hide. The characteristics look similar to lamb.
Boy...it do! That is really nice. Plus, I love seeing the 'Raider's style' in black! Nice change up! It truly doesn't look like cowhide in the pics, more like lamb! Must be a very well tanned and worked hide to look this soft, draping and light in texture. Very nice! W>
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I agree - it drapes even more like that lamb than my lamb one ! (if that makes sense!). It's a very thin cow making it drape like that. I'll have to weigh it but I think it's lighter than the lamb too.

Edit: just did some weighing:
Relic Hunter lamb: 1.39 Kg
Relic Hunter thin cow: 1.13 Kg
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

CRB wrote:I agree - it drapes even more like that lamb than my lamb one ! (if that makes sense!). It's a very thin cow making it drape like that. I'll have to weigh it but I think it's lighter than the lamb too.

Edit: just did some weighing:
Relic Hunter lamb: 1.39 Kg
Relic Hunter thin cow: 1.13 Kg
No wonder it drapes like this! Very nice...very nice, indeed! Good pick on this one! W>
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

It's the lambtouch cowhide.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Does it come in brown?
=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I'd like to know the answer to that too !
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

Sure

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=59852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

It doesn't say brown or black though?
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

Who makes Indy jacket and doesn't make brown?
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Good point ;)
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

afalzon wrote:Who makes Indy jacket and doesn't make brown?
Todd
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Kubrik wrote:
Todd
:-s
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
Kubrik wrote:
Todd
I've been cheated!
The two Todd's jackets I purchased were advertised as being brown and even looked brown when I got them.
Had I known they weren't actually brown, I wouldn't have bought them!! :x
I want a refund!!!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

kwad wrote:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:
Kubrik wrote:
Todd
I've been cheated!
The two Todd's jackets I purchased were advertised as being brown and even looked brown when I got them.
Had I known they weren't actually brown, I wouldn't have bought them!! :x
I want a refund!!!
So they were really black? Have you talked to Todd about this?
indiana745
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indiana745 »

I'm looking to order a Relic Hunter in the striated lambskin (Hero version) by next week but am trying to pull together all the right measurements. Anybody have a Relic Hunter in a size 42 or 44 that can post those "7 key measurements" Bill Kelso MFG has on their website? I have a Wested Hero in goatskin size 46 and have pulled/tweaked the measurements to something like this (btw my chest measures 44" and I'm 6'3") :

A-B: 25" (top of storm flap to bottom including collar stand)
C-D: 24" (pit to pit across chest)
E-F: 23" (bottom width of jacket)
G-H: 7.25" (shoulder- reduced this a bit as my hero hangs a little too much off shoulder)
I-J: 24.75" (back length without collar stand) 25.75" (back with collar stand)
K-L: 21" (across back of shoulders)
M-N: 26.5" (sleeve length)

I've read some people say order the Relic Hunter one size up and others say one size down, but I think these are going to be my specs, just want to see if anyone else has something comparable. Thanks! :TOH:
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

indiana745 wrote:I'm looking to order a Relic Hunter in the striated lambskin (Hero version) by next week but am trying to pull together all the right measurements. Anybody have a Relic Hunter in a size 42 or 44 that can post those "7 key measurements" Bill Kelso MFG has on their website? I have a Wested Hero in goatskin size 46 and have pulled/tweaked the measurements to something like this (btw my chest measures 44" and I'm 6'3") :

A-B: 25" (top of storm flap to bottom including collar stand)
C-D: 24" (pit to pit across chest)
E-F: 23" (bottom width of jacket)
G-H: 7.25" (shoulder- reduced this a bit as my hero hangs a little too much off shoulder)
I-J: 24.75" (back length without collar stand) 25.75" (back with collar stand)
K-L: 21" (across back of shoulders)
M-N: 26.5" (sleeve length)

I've read some people say order the Relic Hunter one size up and others say one size down, but I think these are going to be my specs, just want to see if anyone else has something comparable. Thanks! :TOH:
I would email them and provide the specs, and ask for them. They will be able to advise you on the best sizing for you.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Just traded up from a Bill Kelso, to a different Bill Kelso. I've found it, boys, the grail quest ends here for me. Love the dark milk chocolate brown color, it's a rugged, grainy lamb. Fits me like a glove, like as If it's the most natural extension of my clothes.

This wins. This wins everything. Shut down the internets.

DHW
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Nice pick up, Daren. :clap: Looks like it was custom made for you.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Haha, I know the feelings....when the right jacket comes along, you just know it! \:D/
Looks cool. I`d love to see some close ups of the this leather.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

I'll put together some better pics.

DHW
indiana745
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indiana745 »

Just ordered a relic hunter in striated lamb. Haven't had a lamb jacket in a long time and can't wait to get it! :D
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

You wont regret it.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Something to hold you over...... :D
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 783915.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 479208.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 86e7a2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... a6c4b6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!!!! ;)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Gorak wrote:Something to hold you over...... :D
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 783915.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 479208.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 86e7a2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... a6c4b6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks amazing, Gorak. First day of fall is tomorrow, which means temps below the triple digits down here!
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

DHW
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Love the pics, Gorak! You look great! Love the hat and jacket! Which leather is that?

DHW
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Gorak has a striated lamb that he distresed himself!
DarenHenryW wrote:

Love the pics, Gorak! You look great! Love the hat and jacket! Which leather is that?

DHW
Last edited by Baldwyn on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Cool looking, DHW. You look "comfortable" in it. Like if you have been wearing it forever. :tup: :tup:
Baldwyn is correct, I have the first version Straited Lamb.
These jackets are in a league all of their own! :D :D
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Gorak wrote:Cool looking, DHW. You look "comfortable" in it. Like if you have been wearing it forever. :tup: :tup:
Baldwyn is correct, I have the first version Straited Lamb.
These jackets are in a league all of their own! :D :D
Yeah, when we had three BK's side by side, you realize, they're all different, and perfect in their own way. I would probably replace every leather jacket I own with a BK if I could (well, ok, maybe not my Hugh Jackman signed Wolverine jacket, because that's hard to beat).
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Great leather, GREAT COLOUR: now that's what I call an Indiana Jones jacket! Congrats! :clap:
If only Wested used a skin like this for its Hero.... :?