Some whips I recently finished

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

riku1914
Vendor

Some whips I recently finished

Post by riku1914 »

It's been a little while since I posted some whip pics here because I wanted to wait until I had made another Indy whip or two. I've been doing lots of custom non-indy whips, so it feels like it's been a while! I just finished up an Indy whip, with two more in the works so I thought I'd post a few pics. Be sure to look for links under the embedded pictures for more!

I'll lead with the Indy. 8' 12 Plait Saddle Tan in my Standard Indy form factor. It was made for one of our own members :)

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us

https://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/560/img0009sj.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/5/img0010sc.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next up a 7' 16 plait Australian style bullwhip with lots of customization!

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL

https://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/22/jeremybullwhip3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a 6' 12 plait 2 toned bullwhip, Australian style bullwhip ( custom added wrist loop )

[url=http://imageshack.us/photos//9/1211799.jpg/]Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4' 12 plait 2 toned bullwhip with fancy plaiting on the handle ( this whip is currently IN STOCK on my site )

https://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/189 ... detail.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/202 ... detail.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is mine!!! a 7' 16 plait bullwhip in natural tan

https://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/542/img0027et.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have more pics but 6 is the limit, so lets see what I'll do....

An 8' 16 plait Australian Style bullwhip in whiskey ( custom added wrist loop )

When I finish up the other two Indy whips I'll probably do another thread that has some of the other whips recently made in it.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Some whips I recently finished

Post by iwantamorganreelbad1 »

Nice whips! Glad to see you expanding on whip designs, looking forward to seeing more.
vaderjeff1744
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by vaderjeff1744 »

VERY NICE! I'm EXCITED to see mine soon! ;)
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

How long is the fall on your 4' and how is the action?
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

Amazing work. I am constantly amazed at people that can do work with their hands like that. Someday I want to get a whip but it might mean selling my soul for the money :) Would be well worth it though.

How long does it take to do things like that? I assume that the leather has to be cut doesn't it?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Franco, the fall on the 4' is 24" long. The action is very nice, although it takes me a minute to adapt since all the whips I regularly use are 7' and up ( my most regularly used are 8 and 10ft ). It's a very fast and smooth crack once I get used to it. When I first finished it and test cracked it I seriously considered keeping it but decided to give it some time on my in stock page first.

Paladin,

Thank you very much! It takes a lot of time and dedication just to get to the point of making the simple stuff look and feel right. As far as time goes, I usually can count on 1.25 hours per foot of length, on a whip that's 12 plait ( 12 strands used for the final layer ). Some of the guys who have been doing this a lot longer can do it 1 hour per foot or less, I'm not to that point yet.

Yes the leather is all hand cut from kangaroo hides. That's probably the trickiest part to whip making because you have to learn both how to simply cut the strands, but also how to read the hide. The leather stretches and it stretches to different degrees depending on what part of the hide you are cutting. In some areas on the very outside of the hide, stretch can vary 100% within a matter of inches. Also different species of kangaroo have different amounts of stretch both before they are intially stretched and after they are braided, which can really be a pain when doing 2 toned whips that were from different species ( which I avoid whenever possible but it happens ).

Haha I could write half a book just on cutting and prepping strands but I won't bore you with the details. To sum it all up, its very time consuming and everything put into a whip is hand cut, stretched, resized/beveled, split, greased, then finally braided ( some steps are repeated for different reasons ). I love it though, and there's alway another challenge to conquer so it certainly doesn't get old on my end!
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

That is very cool. For some reason anytime I set out to do things like that it seems like I chew it up due to a lack of any sense of artistic ability. So I am not only in awe but also thankful that some folks do it, gives me something to save money for :)
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Haha that's how I usually am! When people I know see whips they usually mention something like that,artistic. I've never been artistic in my life, whips are all I have!!
Last edited by riku1914 on Sat May 11, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

It has to be partially an art form. Leather working is in all its forms. :TOH:
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Oh they definitely are, what I'm trying to say is as far as being artistic goes, whips are all I can do. I've never been so in any other way, which is what's kind of funny to me.