What I am looking for in a jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

What I am looking for in a jacket

Post by Paladin3 »

Howdy all! First post here and I am looking for some pearls of wisdom.

I have looked through the threads and honestly I think there is simply an overabundance of information.
I am looking for a durable and fairly light weight (suitable for cool but not cold weather) jacket. I want it to be a tad long (in other words to hang beneath my belt line). I want it to be pretty authentic and fit slightly loose. I want it to be something I can wear out traveling so I want it to have action pleats and all the normal pockets (hand warmer, vertical front, and inside). Finally I am not fond of the "crocadile" leather look.

With all that in mind… What type / maker / and leather type should I consider? This sure looks like the right place to ask consumers so there we go.

Thank you for any input!
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What I am looking for in a jacket

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Well, it really all depends on your price range. You're pretty much all over the spectrum on types with your request. The mention of crocodile leather might have put you in a corner to certain types. Also, most leathers with that look aren't usually light weight.
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

That is part of what I was curious about. I was looking at Wested and US Wings. The jacket looks often times on screen to have a little flexability to it - most store leather jackets I have seen were very stiff and heavy even after being used for awhile... I am looking at around 300 - I want something right that will last. If I have to go more then I will budget accordingly. I am open to ideas of all sorts.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I'd go with a wested LC with arm gussets.
Judging by this description.
I want it to be a tad long (in other words to hang beneath my belt line). I want it to be pretty authentic and fit slightly loose. I want it to be something I can wear out traveling so I want it to have action pleats and all the normal pockets (hand warmer, vertical front, and inside).
The leather though....a crispe lamb? I'm not sure about an indy jacket in crocodile..... I'm sure that'd raise the price a decent amount
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

Appologies, the comment about the crocidile is that some jackets I have seen have a very crocidile type texture instead of a smoother texture, if that makes sense. Lamb I have heard is pretty fragile though is it not? Hrm... Perhaps I should list an order to what I am looking at:

1. Durable
2. Fits a little long (below the belt)
3. LC in style, although I am not married to that.
4. Wearable in fall and spring. I am living in TN and so far the winter is not much compared to up north where I am from.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

It looks like people think you WANT the crocodile look, whereas you plainly say you do not???

I would say US Wings in Steerhide or goat, preferably goat since it is lighter, but it limits your style.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Yep, based on your first post my mind immediately went to USWings' offerings. Definitely for durability. If you want a slightly longer and looser fitting jacket their Signature Line is the loosest fitting. The Legend and Hero lines are a bit more fitted.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Couple of things about the Wings, smaller sizes are are a bit... wayward. A couple of us have found their XSs have fit like mediums or larges.

Also make sure you are ok with the zipper pull being on the wrong side for an Indy jacket.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The key to making a good decision on what I suspect is your first purchase of an Indy jacket would be understanding the differences in each vendor offering. The basic differences between the $200 and the $300 jackets are custom sized and your choice of leather. USW does not set out to make a LC type jacket, but the fact that their current offering looks much like a LC jacket is coincidence. On the other hand, Wested purposes to make a LC jacket, and they sell pre-made LC/CS jackets cheaper than their custom orders. If it were me, and I was looking at a first purchase, I'd seriously look at buying one that fits properly, and according to your requirements, ie length, choice of leather. The more durable leathers are cow, goat & HH. To demystify, a jacket is panels of leather sewn together by thread, and most every vendor delivers in that department these days. Is having the ability to make these choices worth the extra $100? That is your call to make.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Wested
Goat
Custom

:TOH:
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Paladin3: If you read many of the write-ups on jackets on the site you'll see that many of us have owned many jackets. Proof of that can be found in the number of used jackets there are for sale both here and on E-bay. For many it becomes and endless search for their perfect Indy jacket. It can be an expensive journey. I've personally owned at least 20 jackets I can remember. My search finally ended and I have a jacket I love so don't think I will be buying anymore. What am I saying here? The heck if I know. I guess, with all due respect, the only way you are going to find the right jacket, is through research, which you are doing, and jumping in the pool and getting wet. Wishing you the best of luck.

Gailen
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I looked for all the same things and ended up with a US Wings Texas Steerhide. It is ABSOLUTELY perfect for me. Im a bigger guy and the XXL is perfect. Use Tundrariders "natural distressing" thread for a quick break in then slather it in Pecards Creme (jell) and youll be set. Good luck!
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Tibor wrote:Wested
Goat
Custom

:TOH:

My thoughts exactly!

Goat is definitely tougher than lamb, yet lighter and more flexible than cowhide.
Has some texture, but, is nowhere near the "croco-gator" look.

Wested custom will get you the fit you want and would fit within your $300 budget.
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

Wow, thank you for all of the replies. I missed out for a day to give finals and came back and there are a load!

The zipper pull I guess Kt Templar was referring to means US Wings puts them on the left side? As viewed wearing the jacket? That for some reason drives me somewhat nuts with a jacket I had years ago, perhaps I should stay away from that not necessarily for the major part of the authenticity but for the insanity factor… It is just one of those things that.. Well drives me nuts. I am a strong right hand person and left handed I always feel very awkward doing anything with.

Baldwyn: No I do not like that look for whatever reason. I like it smooth. Aren’t Indy jackets smooth anyway?
Texan, thank you I did not know that about the jackets made by US Wings… Looks more like a Wested then.

Tibor: Why goat? Any particular reason?

Trdaggers: I noticed that it is sort of like a problem for some folks  not that I can judge I have certain things that I just can never find the perfect one or have enough of. I wish I could afford to do that, but I have to get it right the first time and live with what I pick out. I appreciate the reply, and the luck (I’m gonna need it)
ChrisMD: thank you. Not sure about all the distressing yet, I think I’ll get it new and just wear the thing.

Kwad I think you answered my question to Tibor then.

Ok… Hrm… Back off to the websites to check them again and see what is available. So many have ended production that it kind of puts a crimp into things at Wested. Any other vendors I should seriously consider? Also, I took a close look and it looks like there are no gussets on the front pockets. Do any come with that or have it as an option? I am often carrying around a small but fairly thick (2 inch) book that has to go somewhere in whatever jacket I am wearing and do not want to tear up a nice jacket.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

If you are looking for answers, you can find some useful information in these threads, including specs/details and the types of leather they offer:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gussets are underarm extensions that increase mobility, bridge the body of the jacket to the sleeves, and offer more flexibility, freedom of movement. Probably most of your questions can be answered in these two threads, if not just ask. ;)
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

Well dang ok. I swear I am more confused as I go :)

This is turning into a quest just to figure out what I want, good thing it will be a month or so before I jump on it...

So what do you call it when they make a pocket with the material to make it "thicker" for a lack of a better term?
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

If I understand you correctly, you might be looking for bellows pockets that expand away from the body to accommodate contents, like your book. The Indy jacket doesn't do that but the dimensions of the Indu jacket pockets (height and width) may be large enough to provide enough 'give' for your book, depending on how big your book is. I have jackets from several makers and have found that the pockets on my US Wings Legend are quite a bit bigger than my Todds, for instance.
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

Bellows, yes! The reason is that I often have things I want in my jacket pocket and I have had trouble sometimes with a book or a flashlight causing a tear along a seam because a flat pocket is nearly useless for anything of any small size. Thanks LRGS.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I should clarify. Not distressing as in beating it up. More like relaxing. Wearing it while you sleep, treating it and stuffing it into a pillow case and using it as a body pillow will make it break in really fast and be more comfortable, without changing the look of it. Hope this helps.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Paladin3 wrote:Bellows, yes! The reason is that I often have things I want in my jacket pocket and I have had trouble sometimes with a book or a flashlight causing a tear along a seam because a flat pocket is nearly useless for anything of any small size. Thanks LRGS.
That's what the bag is for! ;)
Paladin3
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Paladin3 »

Are you trying to get me started on the bag now????? One thing at a time! ;)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

:twisted:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Paladin3 wrote:Wow, thank you for all of the replies. I missed out for a day to give finals and came back and there are a load!

Tibor: Why goat? Any particular reason?
Goat is still reasonably light and flexible to capture the drape, but particularly durable and weather resistant. Also, it generally has a subtle grain and doesn't look like dinohide or plastic. It is the best compromise given your criteria.