Alden 405 boot can be found in UK?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

iwsmith
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Alden 405 boot can be found in UK?

Post by iwsmith »

I was wondering if the Alden 405 boot could be found in the UK or not?

Does anybody have any input?

Sincerely

Ean
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

I dont beleive it is stocked anywhere in the UK, but some of the Alden dealers in the US might ship there. Try

aldenshop.com
rennersbootsshoes.com

Good luck!
James
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Unless you find another Indy fan in the UK who has a pair they will sell you, the only option to buy a new 405 is to order from the US.

Ken
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Paris, France would probably be the closest place to get Aldens.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Does Aldens actually have stores in Paris?

Ken
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

Something I learned last week - My son will be graduating soon from college so as a Graduation gift, My wife and I decided to buy him a new suite & shoes. For the shoes I went to an Alden dealer in Albany, NY and while I was there I inquired if they had the 405 in stock. The owner indicated that she did not but could order them from the factory in Ma. Conservative guess would be 16 weeks for delivery. When I inquired as to why it would be such a long wait she indicated that Aldens has 3 individuals that do the hand made line for Aldens - Since the 405 is not their only line you can see that this creates a situation where delivery can be a problem.

My point is if you have an Alden dealer that has the 405 in stock you are fortunate - anything direct from factory is going to be a wait.

Mike
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

I ordered a pair from the Alden shop, and in Allen's last mail he figured they would be ready for shipping sometime in May-June. He didn't mention the three dudes making the shoes - instead he pointed at a major leather shortage from their supplier as a reason for the long wait.
Some good news, though - the new batch will be made in brown leather instead of the pumpkin-coloured.

/SJ
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Indiana Ken is right - the only choice I am aware of is to order them from the US (I can't enlighten you on the European aspect as I know nothing about availability there).

I ordered my pair from rennersbootsshoes.com and I'm very happy with them. Renners give great service.

Just be sure to get your sizing right - get measured up properly if possible - and do expect a hefty customs bill (mine was around £50 I seem to recall) on top of the price of the boots. It works out to be very expensive so be prepared for that.

However, they are great boots and will last (and look good) for a very long time. I viewed it as a long-term investment really :wink:

Good luck with it all.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

ob1al wrote: Just be sure to get your sizing right - get measured up properly if possible.
Yes, yes, to ob1 you listen!

You really don't want to go through what I did- I got Aldens that were close in size, but didn't quite make it... and ka-ching! That's an expensive mistake. It can be so confusing with the 1/2 size down idea, or simply get your own size- there seem to be people from both camps. Best bet is to actually have them fitted if you can.

I'm now waiting in line like you guys... sixteen weeks! ](*,)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Neolitihic said:
It can be so confusing with the 1/2 size down idea, or simply get your own size- there seem to be people from both camps. Best bet is to actually have them fitted if you can.
I just went to a local orthopedic shoe store yesterday to get my feet measured for (an eventual) pair of Alden boots. The store doesn't generally carry Aldens, but they can order them. The man actually had me try on a pair of shoes similar or identical to how Alden sizes their shoes, so I could get a real feel of how the Aldens would fit my feet. He said that Alden leather is pretty soft and that you want a snug (not tight) fit. The shoes would settle and break into the shape of my feet.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't have an Aldens dealer near you, go to a shop that can either order them or is familiar enough with them to size you properly for the 405's. Another advantage of ordering them through a shoe store is that if they don't fit when when they come in, you don't have to pay for them and they'll reorder a different size. That way you're not stuck with an expensive pair of shoes you can't wear.
Torpedo Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Torpedo Jones »

I does not have to be so complicated. I took a few shoes Clarks as a reference it size 9, and I order the Alden it size 9 E and they remain perfect.

Saludos
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

Torpedo Jones wrote:I does not have to be so complicated. I took a few shoes Clarks as a reference it size 9, and I order the Alden it size 9 E and they remain perfect.

Saludos
Very true, the trick is to get the correct width - Best solution is to have both feet measured with a "Brannick"(sp?) device. This is the black and silver thing you see in all shoe stores - Have someone reputable measure you then, your golden. Most men's work shoes are E width while dress shoes (average) are D. My son is a B on one foot & a C on the other so as you can see then you have to see which width you can get away with - unless you can have both shoes custom made.

Mike