USW Aged steerhide Legend due out soon

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: USW Aged cowhide Legend due out soon

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Thanks for filling me in on the subtle differences between the two hides. :tup: :TOH:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Sarge says if COW guys want this one at 195, you need to contact him directly...don't know if that was covered...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: USW Aged steerhide Legend due out soon

Post by Michaelson »

It probably was, but we had a lot of confusion over the weekend with this thread as there were several double posts by a few people, but when one was deleted to leave a single post standing, it took BOTH posts out for no reason, so we lost a few items.

Sorry about that. #-o

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Ok, i just called in my order....HOWEVER the very nice young lady i spoke to on the the phone wasnt very sure what i was talking about BUT she did say that the newer imported steerhide legends for $195 were being made with the same leather as adventure jackets so i am going to assume we are all talking about the same one....!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sounds like it. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Indydawg wrote:Sarge says if COW guys want this one at 195, you need to contact him directly...don't know if that was covered...
It shows on the site as $195. Unless you get long, which is $215.

http://www.uswings.com/ijlegend.asp#LGND" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's not the jacket we're talking about.

Regards! M
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Just got a response from Sarge confirming that i was getting this new version Legend. This should be fun. Oh, gotta gom i think i hear the mail truck!
;)
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Michaelson wrote:That's not the jacket we're talking about.

Regards! M
There's more than one imported Steerhide Legend? :?

What are the differences?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep. The one we're talking about is made from highly distressed aged steerhide...much more distressed than the one that appears on site. They haven't shown it as as stock item as the runs are too small.

I'd say the best describers would be that the in-stock steer hide seen at the link above is more 'antiqued' in appearance where this limited version is flat out distressed. :-k

I can see where it may not be for everyone. I remember their '50 mission' version from years ago (owned one, as a matter of fact) and though a great looking jacket, it just didn't fly as well as expected with sales.

Regards! M
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Michaelson wrote:Yep. The one we're talking about is made from highly distressed aged steerhide...much more distressed than the one that appears on site. They haven't shown it as as stock item as the runs are too small.

I'd say the best describers would be that the in-stock steer hide seen at the link above is more 'antiqued' in appearance where this limited version is flat out distressed. :-k

Regards! M
Ohhh, okay. Aged, duh! I should've read that. :oops:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yeah-Sarge said if you want this jacket, you need to contact him directly before ordering...lest you inadvertently get one pulled from main stock. He'll be sure you get this aged steer hide from THIS limited run, but you need to let him know ahead of time.

sarge@uswings.com

Mine should be in pretty soon...I'm thinking this week!
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

Can't believe this thread is at 2 pages already WITH NO PICTURES!!

C'mon fellas, I'm dying to see this jacket!

Regards,
Sean
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Obi Sean Kenobi wrote:Can't believe this thread is at 2 pages already WITH NO PICTURES!!

C'mon fellas, I'm dying to see this jacket!

Regards,
Sean
Weird ... I was thinking the same thing.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Patience...soon. Very soon. ;) :TOH:
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

I'm not sure I'd place an order for anything without seeing an actual product...

:WLWOP:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Is alittle different with this product......
If you like the Legend pattern than you know that is assurred..... it will just be in a slightly different leather than what we may have available already so you are not really going in completely blind. I like the legend line and I have seen the other style jackets in the leather being offered so I have no worries.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Well, she came today!

I can say that everything Michaelson had to say is dead on, for starters. The leather is just gorgeous-vastly different from Wings' most recent distressed hides. I guess I could chalk it up to being steerhide, as the closest thing I can remember in the years I've had Wings jackets pass through my hands to this was the naked cowhide from a few years ago...but, that's just the feel, the softness and suppleness of the leather. The color of that naked cowhide was nothing like this. This isn't mottled at all, but rather very evenly tanned and colored. The colour is a deep reddish brown to my eye, with the top colour being a dark brown, but the undertones all being that reddish brown. I am reminded of the Wings "Old Cow" cowhide from back in 99-2000, that I've never been able to find anything like again...until now, anyway! I don't know what kind of aging process was done, but the distressing is relatively even with the anomalies in distressing owing to the actual distressing of the leather and not dye removal by abrasion. It's almost like the entire jacket was that deep dark brown, with the reddish undertones, and then the thing got sandblasted or something....although, I'm sure that's not what happened! But, the effect is awesome...again, giving the jacket an overall very even distressing distribution. There is also a very little bit of variety in the grain-with some pretty grainy spots popping out already, but again it's pretty evenly distributed on the grain, too. Really, though...this thing is just fantastic!

And OH, THE SMELL!!!!!! Rich new leather smell, man...fills the room! =P~

The lining is a nice dark brown satin. One map pocket. Leather facings like the other imported Legends. Like M said, larger LC-ish collar, but that is quickly shaping up nicely; small upper back yoke like Raiders; scalloped pocket flaps...beautifully done, too. No stray or meandering seams, no missed stitch holes or anything like that. One of the best pieces to come out of the Pakistan factory I've ever seen-they've got it down over there!

If I have anything critical to say, it would be to echo M's sentiment of the slider buckles on the back for the straps-yep, they're still the sharp cornered ones that stabbed into my leather seats when I got my Schott-made Legend when they first came out-I'll probably end up swapping them out for the rectangular loops like they use on the Expedition and pulling the straps forward. And, the fit is notably larger than the US-made Legend jackets-I got my usual medium, but to my eye, I probably could get away with a small. So, for you guys planning on getting one, keep that in mind if you're athletic in build like I am. You can see what I mean in the pics I'm posting. These aren't the ones I'll be sending to Sarge for posting on the Wings site, but I didn't want to keep you guys waiting any longer ;) ...so, sneak peek.

All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend this jacket for the budget-minded Indy fan who is looking for an outstanding jacket, but who isn't particularly obsessive about the screen accurate "little things" like those few I mentioned. It can't be considered an accurate replica of Raiders because the collar's too big and, after I'm done swapping the loops, it won't pull backwards like it should...plus, the fit is off for Raiders...much more like a LC jacket fit. And if not for the small top yoke and the straps being a bit too high, it would make a fairly accurate Crusade jacket. So, it's a great amalgamation of the little details with VERY high-end leather that ought to have this jacket in the 300-400 range instead of 195. Again-I have to say it is one of their better leathers I've ever seen and, if you aren't a bear for details, you'd be quite happy with it!

Any questions about specifics, don't hesitate to ask!
Cheers, y'all!
Indydawg
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

And here's a link to the album
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10109811/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Way too light in colour for my idea of an Indy jacket. Other than that it looks good.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

There were light colored ones in the movie. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yeah...and don't forget what a coat of Pecards will do...let alone some of the dark brown Pecards 8) ..
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

What of the weight of the jacket?I am expecting it to be "hefty" but I am guessing that it is not as heavy as a regular steerhide?
Mine should be here Thursday. I think I will definitely see about darkening this baby up a little. But not much. I don`t want a closet fullof the same looking jackets. That would make it hard to decide in the early morning darkness. ;)
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

It's lighter than it looks in physical weight. My scale says four lbs, but isn't precise enough to figure oz.

I'll wait until next jacket season to Pecard mine...at least, I think so. The distressing on the leather is just so cool-looking, and the leather shade of brown is just so nice, I don't want to mess it up just yet.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Just got mine today, and it has reddish under-tones.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yep, mine, too, Tex...I love that! 8)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Indydawg wrote:Yep, mine, too, Tex...I love that! 8)
Pics please!!!! :TOH:

:WLWOP:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Posted 'em, Dude....just couldn't get 'em sized to show up on the forum....
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Tundrarider wrote:
Gorak wrote:I don't want a closet full of the same looking jackets.
That's funny, because to everyone out in the world, that's exactly what these are! :P The nuances stand out to us; they don't to others. If a person has 20 Indy jackets and rotates them daily, everyone just thinks he's "always wearing that one d--- jacket!" :lol:

‎"Hold up! That's Edgar Deems; I'm telling you...he only wears that one d--- jacket."

Michael :TOH:
This has nothing to do with the thread except that I wanted to tell Tundra that this was an excellent reference. Very fitting. Tremors was a classic and I can't believe this quote was recalled so well. Good one Michael.
jlhampton
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Indydawg wrote:Posted 'em, Dude....just couldn't get 'em sized to show up on the forum....
Dang! Must...see...this...jacket...

:D
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Dawg posted links to the pictures.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Ah, so he did...WOW, love the leather! Great color, I bet it'll age beautifully...and $195? Can't beat that.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

I'm certainly not qualified to comment on its SA pedigree, but the color and jacket looks absolutely terrific to my eye..

Best

MARK
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

That looks really nice, Dawg. Is it my imagination or are those pocket flaps more generous than usual?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Depends. They are a bit bigger than my 30th anniversery lambskin Legend, but exactly the same size and shape as my prototype Legend HH. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

It's been mentioned that the fit is notably larger than that of the US made Legends. Is that also true when compared to the 30th anniversary Legends (which I believe are imports)?

If so, do you M and Dawg think that for a 6'1, 165 lbs gent, the 30th Legend would be a better fit than this offer? I would rather have length on the sleeves and more of a military fit than have them be roomier but shorter.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not sure I understand the question. The 30th and this one are both imports, and made from the same patterns, so they're the same in sizing. A large would fit you in a military type size in my opinion.

I'm close to 6 foot 2, 212 pounds, and the large fits me perfectly if that's any help.

I have found that in the body they're pretty true, but like you I also require longer sleeves....at least 25 inches or a bit more. With my 30th I had to go with an XL to get that length I needed, where this jacket the length was perfect in a large.
My HH prototype is a large, but the sleeves were short on my arms. That said, there was enough material in the cuffs to have them let out to the perfect length, so it's a great fit for me now.

In my personal experience (for others it can vary) I've found a large to be closer to a 42 military fit, where an XL closer to a 44 regular.

The Schott made versions have been consistant in sizing and measurements, but I've found the imports, though rock solid on body sizing, the sleeves seem to float around. This one is right on the money for me in a large, but like I said, doesn't compare to the OTHER two import Legends I own regarding sleeves. Not sure why, but that's what I've experienced with the imports to date.

Go figure. :-k

Regards! M
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Like M, the two Imports I've had, I needed a full size smaller than the US made Legend jackets. I have a medium in this one, and probably should've gone with a small....fits perfect in the sleeve length, but just a bit bulkier in the body and sleeves than I'm used to these days in my Nowak Surrogates, which has a very 1930s fit.

I'm 5'11", 150 lbs, and a 40R...that medium US Legend fits perfectly....and the small Import has been good.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Ok: mine arrived on Friday evening and I have spent all weekend beating the snot outa it!
First impressions:
It immediately reminded me of an old jacket I use to own from Wested that was in a Leather called Lambskin Crunch. Has the same type of "crackled" appearance. From far away it looks like the Wings usual Steerhide but up close, it seems different. In my opinion from having owned an import and a US made Steerhide from Wings in the past, this one is much lighter in weight. I have enjoyed wearing it and it is very comfortable. The only complaint I have is that the collar does seem HUGE but I am trying to get use to it.
I have wet it thoroughly, dragged it around the sidewalk, slept in it, balled it up and left it for a while, and wore it, wet in the baking sun. So what you are about to see are the results of a jacket already beaten. It gave it alot of charactor as when it is new, it just looks so stiff and stuck up. Now it feels like my friend.
I am very happy with this jacket and will be more so if I can do something to tone down the bulky collar. It has abig time Indiana Jones vib but is NOT Raiders or any particular film jacket. But having, my Relic Hunter, I did not need for it to be anything more than a cool Indy style jacket and it very much so is. If you can swing it, GET ONE. Call Sarge today and get one. The price is right and the jacket is great! :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
Here are some leather shots..please keep in mind that I have beaten and broken this jacket so there are lots of wrinkles that will eventually dissappear..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... ada809.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 171cf0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... fbaa8a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 1d581d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here is a link to an album of photos....many of them are just different awkward postions that I felt showed the leather off in some way or another or showed the fit. things that I know I look for when people post pics.
http://s67.photobucket.com/user/kokoros ... %20Edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a size Medium and the measurements are
Front: 24
Back: 25 1/2
Pit to Pit: 22 1/2
Sleeves: 24 1/2
Yoke middle: 5
Pockets: 8 across and 7 3/8 up and down

Any questions fire away! :TOH:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Funny, but to me the collar doesn't look that huge...I have the 30th anniv. in lamb and my collar does look huge. Does anyone know if the collar sizes are different between these two jackets or are they the same???

I love the used, lived in look. I think I'm going to have to try more weathering with mine...I shrunk it a bit with the wetting of the leather, now I just have to use it up some!

Awesome jacket, btw!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The collars are the same on my two jackets.

Regards! M
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Thnkx
The collars are the same on both of mine. I think it has more to due with the leather as this steerhide feels "bulkier" in the neck where as my lamb version doesnt even though they are exactly the same size.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed! :TOH:

I also think it may lay down and behave itself like the collar did on the lambskin, as I also thought the collar on the lambskin HUGE until I had worn it for a while. It settled right down, and I don't even notice it anymore as it finally relaxed on its own.

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

True Dat, Michealson! :H:

I just added a few pictures of myself in full Indygear just so see how the jacket contrasts with the outfit. Again, in my opinion, it doesn`t really resemble any of the particular movie jackets (especially with the particular color that it is) but still looks like an authentic Indiana Jones jacket. I really like it and am very happy with it!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

That's what matters the most, in the end!! :D
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I ended up getting one of Wings new Urban Adventurer jackets, just for a change of pace. Not much to add to whats already been said about the leather, but I have a few observations. The leather does have a different surface than the Antique Cowhide Legend or Hero jackets I've had; it's "crackled" and has a bit of a dull shine to it. The color has reddish brown undertones, and is very light weight for a cowhide, noticebly lighter than the Antique Cowhide.

Of all the jackets I've had over the years, this leather most reminds me of the Pre-Distressed Cowhide, (Chestnut Hide as it was also called at the time) that Wested offered 13 or 14 years ago. It even smells the same. Even so, this is much lighter in weight, and has a warmer, (more red in it) color than that one did. Really nice stuff!

My thoughts.

Weston
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Hey West...I`d love to see some all around pics of that Urban Adventurer. I thought it looked kinds wierd but then Wings had that pic up of it being worn and it kinda looked cool but I can`t seem to get over the back setup. I`d love to see what it looks like from the back on a person.
As I was cleaning up some pics, I found these two of my newest jacket and thought the grain looked really cool in these shots so I thought I`d share....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 397e0d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 03fd5d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep in mind, I have beaten the snot outa it...kinda of artificially distressed it (sorry Michealson :M: ) but just by wearing it hard in the short time I have had it. :Plymouth:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

[-X :lol:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Gorak wrote:Hey West...I`d love to see some all around pics of that Urban Adventurer. I thought it looked kinds wierd but then Wings had that pic up of it being worn and it kinda looked cool but I can`t seem to get over the back setup. I`d love to see what it looks like from the back on a person.
I'll send you a pm when I get a chance to take some good pics!
Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trebor »

Gorak wrote:What of the weight of the jacket?I am expecting it to be "hefty" but I am guessing that it is not as heavy as a regular steerhide?
I have a similiar question. I have a USW Signature Goatskin. It's pretty heavy and I wouldn't mind a lighter jacket that I could wear more through the year. The goat is kinda a fall/winter jacket and something I could still wear in spring would be nice.

Would this Aged Steerhide Leather be lighter weight than the goat, or about the same? (In other words, would I notice a difference or be able to wear it a little more in warmer weather when I normally would have put the Goat away?)