Springfield 1911

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Jordan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Springfield 1911

Post by Jordan »

If you are looking for a nice Browning HiPower look alike, check out the 1911's by Springfield Armory:

GI 1911A1:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod- ... 1-GI.shtml

Mil-Spec 1911:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod- ... 1-ms.shtml

I just picked up one of the Mil-Specs last weekend in the black parkerized finish...I put some nice wood grips on it and other than the hammer and the external safety design, the Springfield looks alot alike the HP, in my opinion...And is a little cheaper too...Springfield's MSRP is $620, but I picked mine up for a hair under $400...I have always had good luck with Springfield and thought this was a decent buy, plus I love the WWII 1911 styling...Just thought I would throw this out there!
8)
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

They do look alike, and this is probably because John Browning designed both of them (although the HiPower was finished after his death). He believed the Hi Power to be the successor to the 1911 model, but the 1911 model has been far more popular over the years (in the US at least... Overseas the 9mm is more popular).

I have owned numerous 1911s, but have consistently stuck with the Kimber. The Springfield you have is very very nice. Another one similar to it (looking retro/mil-spec) is the Auto-Ordinance (now owned by Kahr Arms). They are very reasonably priced as well.

Now let's see some pics if you got 'em. :tup:
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Colt offers a faithful reproduction of the WWI 1911.
http://www.colt.com/CMCI/1911WWI.asp

• Reproduction based on the original 1911 blueprints
• Series 70 firing system
• Original rollmarks and inspector marks
• 5" barrel with wide hood
• Smooth, straight mainspring housing with lanyard loop
• WWI-style manual thumb and grip safety
• Tapered blade front sight
• Carbonia blue finish
• Forged knurled slide stop
• Knurled thumb safety and magazine catch
• WWI-style screwdriver and original manual included
• Two 7-round magazines

Colt 1911

Browning Hi Power
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

That's true, Colt has started making more accurate retro-styled arms as well. I heard they were under new ownership, too.
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

Riverwind, how does your Springfield shoot? Any problems?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Riverwind, how does your Springfield shoot? Any problems?
Don't you just pull the trigger? :wink:
Jordan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jordan »

Peacock's Eye wrote:Riverwind, how does your Springfield shoot? Any problems?
In my opinion it shoots great! It had a very smooth action and trigger right out of the box, though I will more than likely put a lighter trigger on it in the future...But, I do that with most of my guns, because I like a lighter pull...The only thing with the S.A. 1911 is since it is made to military specs it is best to only shoot ball ammo...No no HP's or anything like that...This is just what the dealer told me and I have not verified it myself...Yet! :wink: But, it will shoot and feed ball ammo as fast as I can pull the trigger with no hangups or problems at all...For the money I spent on the gun, I have nothing bad to say about it...If you have a dealer with an indoor range, go test fire one of their demos, I'm sure you'll probably end up walking out the door with one! 8)
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

How does it shoot?

Well, when the trigger is pulled, it causes the firing pin to....

Never mind.

Actually, I've been looking at this pair of pistols (the Mil-Spec and the GI) for a while. Affordable, and beautiful. As a matter of fact, the new NRA magazine I picked up yesterday has a very supportive artical on the GI .45. It said that it's arguably the closest resembling 1911 to the WWII original (barring the Colt), and is pretty much the same gun; that it fed smoothly and effeciantly with all type of ammo (hard ball, FMJ, hollowpoint FMJ, the works); and notably that the acurracy was par with other, more-expensive, 1911 designs (didn't say which).

The retail on the GI is about $460, and the beautiful WWII 1911 styling (as with Riverwind) is wonderful, and the first thing that attracted me to this. As far as I've seen, even the more expensive Mil-Spec (retail, $620) can be picked up from anywhere from $400 to $500.

I've got to get me one of these! 8) :)